GOD HAS A UNIQUE PURPOSE FOR YOU

GOD HAS A UNIQUE PURPOSE FOR YOU

THE DIVINE ASSIGNMENT

Key Scripture

📖 Ephesians 2:10 (NKJV)
"For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them."

📖 John 21:21–22 (NKJV)
"Peter, seeing him, said to Jesus, 'But Lord, what about this man?' Jesus said to him, 'If I will that he remains till I come, what is that to you? You follow Me.'"

Introduction

There is a question that every human being must answer, whether consciously or unconsciously. It is the question that determines the trajectory of your life, the quality of your decisions, the depth of your relationships, and the significance of your existence. It is the question that has been asked by philosophers, poets, and prophets throughout the ages. It is the question: Why am I here? What is my purpose? Does my life have meaning?

The world offers many answers. It tells us that we are here by accident, the product of random chance and evolutionary processes. It tells us that life has no inherent meaning, that we must create our own meaning, that we must define our own purpose. It tells us that the goal of life is to be happy, to be successful, to accumulate wealth, to achieve fame, to experience pleasure. But these answers leave us empty. They do not satisfy the deepest longings of our souls. They do not answer the question that burns in our hearts.

The Word of God offers a radically different answer. It declares that you are not an accident. You are not a random collection of cells. You are not a mistake. You are not here by chance. You are here by divine design. You are here on purpose. You were created by a loving God who knew you before you were formed in the womb, who sanctified you before you were born, who ordained a purpose for your life before the foundation of the world. God has a unique purpose for you.

The Apostle Paul declared, "For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them." The Greek word for "workmanship" is poiēma, from which we get the word "poem." You are God's masterpiece. You are His work of art. You are His poem. He has crafted you with care, with intentionality, and with purpose. And He has created you for a purpose—good works that He prepared beforehand. Before you were born, before you were saved, before you even knew God, He had already prepared a path of good works for you to walk in.

But here is the crucial truth: your purpose is unique. It is not the same as anyone else's. It is not a carbon copy of someone else's calling. It is not a replica of someone else's destiny. It is yours. It is unique. It is personal. It is specific. And you will never fulfill it by trying to be someone else. You will never fulfill it by comparing yourself to others. You will never fulfill it by running someone else's race.

Jesus made this clear to Peter. After His resurrection, Jesus restored Peter and commissioned him to feed His sheep. He told Peter about the kind of death he would die. Then Peter, seeing John, asked, "But Lord, what about this man?" Jesus responded, "If I will that he remains till I come, what is that to you? You follow Me." The Greek phrase ti pros se means "what is that to you" or "what concern is that of yours." Jesus was telling Peter, "Do not worry about John's purpose. Do not concern yourself with John's path. Do not compare your calling to his. You follow Me. You fulfill your purpose. You run your race."

This teaching is for everyone who has ever wondered if their life has meaning. It is for the one who has felt purposeless, aimless, or insignificant. It is for the one who has been told by the world that they are an accident. It is for the one who has been comparing themselves to others and feeling inadequate. It is for the one who wants to discover and fulfill the unique purpose God has for their life. It is time to understand that God has a unique purpose for you. It is time to discover it, embrace it, and walk in it.

Biblical Truth

Ephesians 2:10 and John 21:21–22 together provide a powerful biblical framework for understanding God's unique purpose for your life. They reveal that you were created on purpose, for a purpose, and that your purpose is unique and personal, not to be compared with anyone else's.

Ephesians 2:10 is a verse of profound significance. Paul writes, "For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them."

The Greek word for "workmanship" is poiēma, which means a work, a creation, or a masterpiece. It is the word from which we get "poem." You are God's poem. You are His work of art. You are His masterpiece. He has crafted you with care, with intentionality, and with purpose. He has made you in Christ Jesus. He has given you a new identity. He has made you a new creation (2 Corinthians 5:17).

The phrase "created in Christ Jesus" reveals the sphere of your creation. You are not just created; you are re-created. You are not just made; you are remade. You are a new creation in Christ. Old things have passed away. All things have become new. You are not who you used to be. You are not defined by your past. You are defined by your new identity in Christ.

The phrase "for good works" reveals the purpose of your creation. You were not created for nothing. You were not created to sit. You were not created to be idle. You were created for good works. You were created to serve. You were created to bless. You were created to make a difference. You were created to advance the Kingdom of God. You were created to glorify God. The Greek word for "good works" is ergon agathos, which means beneficial deeds, honorable actions, or righteous activities.

The phrase "which God prepared beforehand" reveals the plan of your creation. The Greek word for "prepared beforehand" is proetoimazō, which means to prepare in advance, to make ready beforehand. Before you were born, before you were saved, before you even knew God, He had already prepared a path of good works for you to walk in. He had already mapped out your purpose. He had already assigned your mission. He had already given you your gifts. You are not an afterthought. You are not a plan B. You are part of God's eternal, sovereign, purposeful plan.

The phrase "that we should walk in them" reveals the participation of your creation. You are not a passive recipient of God's will. You are an active participant. You must walk. You must obey. You must step into the purpose He has prepared. You must use the gifts He has given. You must fulfill the mission He has assigned. You must walk in the good works He has prepared.

John 21:21–22 reveals the uniqueness of your purpose. The context is critical. Jesus had just restored Peter after his threefold denial. He asked Peter three times, "Simon, son of Jonah, do you love Me?" And Peter responded three times, "Yes, Lord; You know that I love You." Then Jesus commissioned him three times: "Feed My lambs. Tend My sheep. Feed My sheep." Then Jesus told Peter about the kind of death he would die—a death that would glorify God. He said, "Follow Me."

Then Peter, seeing John, asked, "But Lord, what about this man?" The Greek word for "what about" is ti, which means what, why, or how. Peter was asking, "Lord, what about John? What is going to happen to him? What is his path? What is his race? What is his future?" Peter was looking at John. He was comparing his journey to John's. He was wondering if John's path would be easier, if John's race would be smoother, if John's future would be better.

Jesus responded, "If I will that he remains till I come, what is that to you? You follow Me." The Greek phrase ti pros se means "what is that to you" or "what concern is that of yours." Jesus was telling Peter, "Do not worry about John's race. Do not concern yourself with John's path. Do not compare your journey to his. You follow Me. You run your own race. You fulfill your own purpose."

The Greek word for "follow" is akoloutheō, which means to follow, to accompany, to be a disciple, or to imitate. It is a present tense imperative, indicating ongoing action. Jesus was saying, "Keep following Me. Keep walking with Me. Keep obeying Me. Keep running your race. Do not look at John. Do not look at anyone else. Look at Me. Follow Me."

The principle of unique purpose is woven throughout Scripture. God told Abraham, "I will bless you and make your name great; and you shall be a blessing" (Genesis 12:2). God told Moses, "I will send you to Pharaoh that you may bring My people, the children of Israel, out of Egypt" (Exodus 3:10). God told David, "I have found David the son of Jesse, a man after My own heart, who will do all My will" (Acts 13:22). God told Esther, "Yet who knows whether you have come to the kingdom for such a time as this?" (Esther 4:14). God told Jeremiah, "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you; before you were born I sanctified you; I ordained you a prophet to the nations" (Jeremiah 1:5). God told Paul, "He is a chosen vessel of Mine to bear My name before Gentiles, kings, and the children of Israel" (Acts 9:15). God has a unique purpose for every person He creates. He has a unique purpose for you.

The example of Jesus is our ultimate model. Jesus knew His purpose. He said, "My food is to do the will of Him who sent Me, and to finish His work" (John 4:34). He said, "I have glorified You on the earth. I have finished the work which You have given Me to do" (John 17:4). Jesus lived with purpose. He lived with intentionality. He lived with focus. He did not drift through life. He did not wander aimlessly. He knew why He was here. He knew what He was supposed to do. And He did it. He fulfilled His purpose. He completed His mission. And He calls us to do the same.

What We Often Get Wrong

The first and most common error is that we believe we are an accident. We believe the lie of the world that we are here by random chance, that our existence is meaningless, that our lives have no inherent purpose. But this is a lie from the enemy. You are not an accident. You are not a mistake. You are not a random collection of cells. You are a divinely designed, intentionally created, purposefully placed child of God. You were formed by God. You were known by God. You were sanctified by God. You were ordained by God. You have a unique purpose.

Second, we compare our purpose to others. We look at someone else's calling, someone else's gifts, someone else's platform, someone else's success, and we measure ourselves against them. We say, "Why do they have that and I do not? Why did they get that opportunity and I did not? Why did they succeed and I did not?" Comparison is a trap. It steals your joy. It distorts your perspective. It makes you focus on someone else's purpose instead of your own. God has a unique purpose for you. Do not compare it to anyone else's.

Third, we try to run someone else's race. We try to copy their path. We try to emulate their success. We try to replicate their journey. We try to be like them instead of being like ourselves. We try to do what they are doing instead of doing what God has called us to do. But God did not call you to be someone else. He called you to be you. He did not call you to run their race. He called you to run your race.

Fourth, we believe that our purpose is about us. We think that our purpose is to be happy, to be successful, to accumulate wealth, to achieve fame, to experience pleasure. But our purpose is not about us. It is about God. It is about His glory. It is about His Kingdom. It is about His purposes. We were created for good works, not for our own gratification. We were created to serve, not to be served. We were created to give, not to receive. We were created to glorify God, not ourselves.

Fifth, we believe that our purpose is determined by our circumstances. We think that if we are poor, uneducated, or from a broken family, we cannot fulfill God's purpose. We think that if we have failed, sinned, or made mistakes, we are disqualified. But our purpose is not determined by our circumstances. It is determined by God. He knew you before you were born. He sanctified you before you existed. He ordained you before you drew your first breath. Your circumstances do not determine your purpose. God does.

Sixth, we believe that our purpose is something we have to discover on our own. We think that we have to figure out our purpose through our own wisdom, our own analysis, our own efforts. But our purpose is not something we discover; it is something God reveals. He has already prepared good works for us to walk in. He has already mapped out our mission. We just need to seek Him, listen to Him, and obey Him. He will reveal His purpose to us as we walk with Him.

Seventh, we believe that our purpose is the same as everyone else's. We compare ourselves to others and think that we should be doing what they are doing. But God has a unique purpose for each of us. He has given each of us unique gifts, unique talents, unique passions, and unique assignments. We are not called to be someone else. We are called to be ourselves. We are called to fulfill the specific purpose God has for us.

God's Perspective

God views you as His unique masterpiece. You are His workmanship. You are His poem. You are His work of art. He has crafted you with care, with intentionality, and with purpose. He does not make mistakes. He does not create accidents. He does not design flaws. You are exactly who He created you to be. You are exactly where He placed you. You are exactly who He needs you to be for the purpose He has for you.

God's perspective is that He knew you before you were born. He knew you before you were formed in the womb. He knew you before you existed. He had a relationship with you before you had a relationship with Him. He knew your name. He knew your personality. He knew your strengths. He knew your weaknesses. He knew your purpose. He knew everything about you. And He loved you. He chose you. He set you apart. He ordained you.

God sees your purpose as unique and personal. It is not the same as anyone else's. It is not a carbon copy of someone else's calling. It is not a replica of someone else's destiny. It is yours. It is unique. It is personal. It is specific. No one else can fulfill your purpose. No one else can do what God has called you to do. You are irreplaceable. You are indispensable. You are necessary.

God's perspective is that He has prepared everything in advance. You do not have to figure out your purpose on your own. You do not have to create your own path. God has already prepared the good works for you to walk in. He has already mapped out your mission. He has already assigned your purpose. He has already provided the resources, the gifts, the opportunities, and the strength you need. You just need to trust Him, follow Him, and walk in what He has prepared.

God sees your purpose as a journey, not a destination. You do not fulfill your purpose in a single moment. You fulfill it over a lifetime. You fulfill it day by day, step by step, decision by decision. It is a journey of discovery. It is a journey of growth. It is a journey of becoming. God is not just interested in what you do; He is interested in who you become along the way.

God's perspective is that your purpose is connected to His Kingdom. You were not created for yourself. You were created for God. You were created to advance His Kingdom. You were created to bring Him glory. You were created to make a difference in the world. Your purpose is not just about you; it is about something bigger than you. It is about the eternal purposes of God. It is about the salvation of souls. It is about the building of His church. It is about the advancement of His Kingdom.

Practical Application

Seek God for Your Purpose: If you do not know what your purpose is, ask God to reveal it to you. Pray. Fast. Read His Word. Seek wise counsel. God has promised that if you seek Him with all your heart, you will find Him (Jeremiah 29:13). He will reveal His purpose to you. He will show you the good works He has prepared for you to walk in.

Discover Your Gifts and Passions: God has given you unique gifts, talents, and passions. These are clues to your purpose. What are you good at? What do you love to do? What brings you joy? What makes you come alive? What needs in the world move you to action? These are all indicators of your purpose. Pay attention to them.

Stop Comparing Yourself to Others: Comparison is a trap. It steals your joy and distorts your perspective. Stop comparing yourself to others. You are not them. You are you. You are unique. You are one of a kind. God has made you exactly as He wanted you to be. Celebrate who you are. Embrace your uniqueness. Thank God for the way He made you.

Serve Where You Are: You do not have to wait until you discover your ultimate purpose to start serving. Serve where you are. Serve in your church. Serve in your community. Serve in your family. Serve your neighbors. Serve your coworkers. As you serve, God will reveal more of your purpose. As you are faithful in small things, He will entrust you with greater things (Luke 16:10).

Be Faithful in the Present: Do not be so focused on the future that you neglect the present. God has placed you where you are for a purpose. Be faithful in your current season. Be faithful in your current job. Be faithful in your current relationships. Be faithful in your current responsibilities. God is preparing you for what He has prepared for you.

Trust God's Timing: God's timing is not our timing. He may not reveal your purpose all at once. He may reveal it step by step, season by season. Trust His timing. Trust His process. He knows what He is doing. He will bring His purpose to pass in His perfect time.

Run Your Own Race: Do not try to run someone else's race. Do not try to fulfill someone else's purpose. Run your own race. Fulfill your own purpose. Keep your eyes on Jesus. Follow Him. Trust Him. Obey Him. He will lead you into your destiny. He will help you fulfill the unique purpose He has for you.

Ask Yourself

Do I believe that God has a unique purpose for my life?

Do I believe that I am an accident, or do I believe that I was created on purpose, for a purpose?

Am I seeking God for my purpose, or am I trying to figure it out on my own?

Am I comparing my purpose to others?

Am I trying to run someone else's race?

Am I serving where I am, or am I waiting for the perfect opportunity?

Am I being faithful in the present, or am I always looking to the future?

Am I running my own race, or am I running someone else's?

Reflection

God has a unique purpose for you. This is the truth. This is the promise. This is your destiny. You are not an accident. You are not a mistake. You are not a random collection of cells. You were formed by God. You were known by God. You were sanctified by God. You were ordained by God. You have a unique purpose. You have a unique mission. You have a unique assignment. You have a unique destiny.

Before you were born, God knew you. Before you were formed in the womb, He had a plan for you. Before you drew your first breath, He had prepared good works for you to walk in. You are His workmanship. You are His masterpiece. You are His poem. He has crafted you with care. He has designed you with intentionality. He has created you with purpose. And He has a unique mission for you to fulfill.

Do not compare your purpose to anyone else's. Do not try to run someone else's race. Do not try to fulfill someone else's calling. You are not them. You are you. You are unique. You are one of a kind. God has made you exactly as He wanted you to be. He has given you unique gifts, unique talents, unique passions, and a unique assignment. Fulfill your purpose. Run your race. Be who God created you to be.

Jesus told Peter, "What is that to you? You follow Me." He is telling you the same thing today. Do not worry about anyone else's purpose. Do not concern yourself with anyone else's path. You follow Me. You run your own race. You fulfill your own purpose. Keep your eyes on Jesus. He is the author and finisher of your faith. He is the one who started you on this journey. He is the one who will complete it. He is the one who will lead you into your destiny. Follow Him. Trust Him. Obey Him. And you will fulfill the unique purpose God has for you.

Prayer

Father, I thank You that You have a unique purpose for my life. I thank You that I am not an accident. I thank You that I was formed by You, known by You, sanctified by You, and ordained by You. I thank You that You have prepared good works for me to walk in. Forgive me for the times I have believed the lie that my life has no meaning. Forgive me for the times I have compared myself to others. Forgive me for the times I have tried to run someone else's race. Today, I choose to seek You. I choose to discover Your unique purpose for my life. I choose to embrace Your calling. I choose to serve where I am. I choose to be faithful in the present. I choose to trust Your timing. I choose to run my own race. Reveal Your purpose to me. Show me the good works You have prepared for me. Use me for Your glory. Fulfill Your unique purpose in my life. In Jesus' mighty name, Amen.

Declaration

I declare that God has a unique purpose for my life. I am not an accident. I am not a mistake. I am not a random collection of cells. I was formed by God. I was known by God. I was sanctified by God. I was ordained by God. I have a unique purpose. I have a unique mission. I have a unique assignment. I have a unique destiny. Before I was born, God knew me. Before I was formed in the womb, He had a plan for me. Before I drew my first breath, He had prepared good works for me to walk in. I am His workmanship. I am His masterpiece. I am His poem. He has crafted me with care. He has designed me with intentionality. He has created me with purpose. I will fulfill the unique purpose for which I was created. I will walk in the good works God has prepared for me. I will run my own race. I will not compare myself to others. I will not try to run someone else's race. I will keep my eyes on Jesus. I will follow Him. I will trust Him. I will obey Him. He will lead me into my destiny. He will help me fulfill the unique purpose He has for me. God has a unique purpose for my life. And I will fulfill it.

Concluding Scripture

📖 Jeremiah 1:5 (NKJV)
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you; before you were born I sanctified you; I ordained you a prophet to the nations."

A Final Word

God has a unique purpose for you. This is the truth. This is the promise. This is your destiny. You are not an accident. You are not a mistake. You are not a random collection of cells. You were formed by God. You were known by God. You were sanctified by God. You were ordained by God. You have a unique purpose. You have a unique mission. You have a unique assignment. You have a unique destiny.

Before you were born, God knew you. Before you were formed in the womb, He had a plan for you. Before you drew your first breath, He had prepared good works for you to walk in. You are His workmanship. You are His masterpiece. You are His poem. He has crafted you with care. He has designed you with intentionality. He has created you with purpose. And He has a unique mission for you to fulfill.

Do not compare your purpose to anyone else's. Do not try to run someone else's race. Do not try to fulfill someone else's calling. You are not them. You are you. You are unique. You are one of a kind. God has made you exactly as He wanted you to be. He has given you unique gifts, unique talents, unique passions, and a unique assignment. Fulfill your purpose. Run your race. Be who God created you to be.

Jesus told Peter, "What is that to you? You follow Me." He is telling you the same thing today. Do not worry about anyone else's purpose. Do not concern yourself with anyone else's path. You follow Me. You run your own race. You fulfill your own purpose. Keep your eyes on Jesus. He is the author and finisher of your faith. He is the one who started you on this journey. He is the one who will complete it. He is the one who will lead you into your destiny. Follow Him. Trust Him. Obey Him. And you will fulfill the unique purpose God has for you.

Comments