Garments of Grace, Tongue of Wisdom

Garments of Grace, Tongue of Wisdom

Key Bible Texts

Proverbs 31:25–26 (KJV): "Strength and honour are her clothing; and she shall rejoice in time to come. She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness."

What does it mean?

Strength and honour are not merely accessories that this virtuous woman puts on for special occasions; they are her daily attire, woven into the very fabric of her character. The Hebrew word for strength here implies moral firmness and inner fortitude, while honour speaks of dignity and a weightiness of presence that commands respect. Together, they clothe her so completely that she is never caught unprepared for whatever a day may bring.

The second half of verse 25 contains a stunning promise: she "shall rejoice in time to come." This is not a naive optimism that ignores present hardship, but a confident gladness rooted in the fear of the Lord. She can laugh at the future because she knows who holds it, and she knows that her labour in the present is not in vain. She does not dread tomorrow, because her trust is not in her own strength but in the eternal God who clothes her.

Then verse 26 turns to her speech. When she opens her mouth, wisdom flows out—not cleverness or mere information, but the practical, godly insight that builds others up. And upon her tongue rests "the law of kindness." This is not occasional politeness; it is a ruling principle, a governing rule that directs every word she speaks. Her kindness is not weakness; it is a deliberate, powerful choice to season every conversation with grace, even when correction or hard truth is needed.

The Twist

The twist is that strength and honour are described as clothing—something she puts on each morning, which means they are accessible to her through deliberate choice and divine enablement, not innate qualities she either has or lacks. This takes the pressure off perfectionism and places it on daily dependence upon God. Furthermore, her rejoicing in the future is not because she has controlled every variable, but because she has surrendered them all to the Lord. The real surprise, however, lies in verse 26: the "law of kindness" is a law—a binding rule. Kindness is not an optional add-on to wisdom; it is the very framework within which her wisdom operates. Her wisdom is never sharp or cutting; it is always wrapped in warmth, even when it confronts.

What can I learn?

I learn that my inner character becomes my outer reality. If I clothe myself daily in strength from God and honour for Him, I will face the future not with fear but with a quiet, unshakeable joy. I also learn that my words are a mirror of my heart. When I open my mouth, do I dispense wisdom or mere opinion? Do I apply the "law of kindness" to my speech, or do I let frustration, sarcasm, or exhaustion dictate what I say? Perhaps the deepest lesson is that strength and kindness are not opposites—they are twin garments worn by the same woman. True strength is kind, and true kindness requires strength.

How does it apply to me?

For every person, regardless of gender or marital status, this passage invites a morning examination: what am I putting on today? Before you check your phone or your to‑do list, pause and pray for strength and honour to be your clothing. Ask the Lord to drape you in His own dignity so that you can face whatever comes with holy confidence. Then consider your conversations. Is there a relationship in which your tongue has been sharper than it should be? Commit today to speaking one word of wisdom that is also soaked in kindness—perhaps an encouraging note to a weary colleague, a gentle answer to a critical spouse, or a patient explanation to a confused child. Also, if you have been anxious about the future, rehearse this truth: you can rejoice in time to come, not because you can see the future, but because you know the One who holds it.

Final Reflections

The virtuous woman of Proverbs 31 is not a mythical superwoman; she is a portrait of what any believer can become through daily, moment‑by‑moment reliance on God. Her clothing of strength and honour does not fray with wear, because it is renewed each morning by the hand of her Maker. Her tongue, ruled by kindness, does not wound, because it is governed by the law of love. And her rejoicing in the future is not a denial of trials but a defiant hope that outlasts them. When you rise tomorrow, remember that your garments are waiting for you—not in your wardrobe, but in your walk with Christ. Put them on, speak with grace, and face the days ahead with a glad heart.

Prayer

Lord God, I thank You for Your truth, that strength and honour are a virtuous wife's clothing, and that she will rejoice in time to come. I thank You that she opens her mouth with wisdom, and in her tongue is the law of kindness. Father, clothe me this day with Your own strength and the honour that comes from knowing You. Calm my anxious heart about tomorrow, and teach me to rejoice in the future because I trust in Your unfailing faithfulness. Guard my mouth, I pray, and let every word I speak be seasoned with wisdom and wrapped in kindness. When I am tempted to snap or to speak without thinking, remind me that kindness is the law of my tongue because You have written it upon my heart. May my speech build up, never tear down, and may my life be a garment that points others to You. In Jesus' name, Amen.

Comments