FOLLOW GOD'S WORD
HEARING THE VOICE BEHIND YOU
Key Scripture
π Isaiah 30:21 (NKJV)
"Your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying, 'This is the way, walk in it,' Whenever you turn to the right hand or whenever you turn to the left."
π John 10:27 (NKJV)
"My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me."
Introduction
There is a voice that speaks when all other voices have fallen silent. It is a voice that does not shout, yet it is unmistakable. It is a voice that does not manipulate, yet it commands the heart. It is a voice that does not waver, yet it guides with perfect wisdom. It is the voice of God, and it is the voice we are called to follow. In a world filled with competing voices—the clamor of culture, the whispers of the enemy, the demands of the flesh—the people of God are marked by one defining characteristic: they hear His voice and they follow Him.
The prophet Isaiah paints a vivid picture of this reality. He speaks of a day when the people of God will hear a word behind them, saying, "This is the way, walk in it," whenever they turn to the right or to the left. The Hebrew word for "word" is dabar, which means a word, a speech, or a matter. It is the same word used for the Ten Commandments, the very words of God. The phrase "behind you" is achar, which means after, behind, or following. It is the picture of a shepherd walking behind his sheep, guiding them with his voice, keeping them on the right path. When they are tempted to stray to the right or to the left, they hear His voice directing them back to the way.
Jesus echoes this truth in John 10:27. He declares, "My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me." The Greek word for "hear" is akouΕ, which means to hear, to listen, to understand, and to obey. It is not a passive hearing; it is an active, responsive listening that leads to action. The word for "follow" is akoloutheΕ, which means to follow, to accompany, to be a disciple, or to imitate. It is a present tense verb, indicating ongoing, continuous action. Jesus is saying that His sheep hear His voice—they recognize it, they listen to it, they obey it—and they follow Him. They do not follow a stranger. They do not follow the world. They follow Him.
This teaching is for everyone who wants to walk in the will of God. It is for the one who has been confused by the many voices competing for their attention. It is for the one who has strayed to the right or to the left and needs to hear the voice behind them. It is for the one who wants to follow God's Word but does not know how to discern His voice. It is time to learn to listen. It is time to learn to follow. It is time to follow God's Word.
Biblical Truth
Isaiah 30:21 and John 10:27 together provide a powerful biblical framework for understanding what it means to follow God's Word. They reveal that God guides His people by His voice, and that His people are marked by their willingness to hear and follow.
Isaiah 30:21 is set in the context of God's promise of restoration to a rebellious people. The Israelites had turned away from God. They had sought help from Egypt instead of trusting in the Lord. They had rejected His prophets and ignored His warnings. But God, in His mercy, promised a day when He would restore them. He would be their Teacher. He would guide them with His voice. He said, "Your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying, 'This is the way, walk in it,' Whenever you turn to the right hand or whenever you turn to the left."
The Hebrew word for "word" is dabar, which means a word, a speech, or a matter. It is the same word used in Psalm 119:105, where the psalmist says, "Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path." The voice behind them is speaking the Word of God. It is not a new revelation; it is the revelation of God's will already given. It is the Word that guides, corrects, and directs.
The phrase "behind you" is achar, which means after, behind, or following. It is the picture of a shepherd walking behind his sheep, guiding them with his voice. In ancient Israel, shepherds would often walk behind their flocks, using their voice to direct the sheep. The sheep learned to recognize the shepherd's voice and to follow it. When they began to stray to the right or to the left, the shepherd would call them back. The voice behind them was a voice of guidance, a voice of correction, a voice of love.
The phrase "This is the way, walk in it" is a direct command. The Hebrew word for "way" is derek, which means a path, a journey, or a manner of life. The word for "walk" is yalak, which means to walk, to go, or to live. God is not just telling us the way; He is commanding us to walk in it. It is not enough to know the way; we must walk in it. It is not enough to hear the voice; we must obey it.
The phrase "whenever you turn to the right hand or whenever you turn to the left" reveals the human tendency to stray. The Hebrew word for "turn" is natah, which means to stretch out, to extend, to turn, or to incline. We are prone to wander. We are prone to go our own way. We are prone to turn to the right or to the left. But God, in His grace, does not leave us to wander. He speaks. He guides. He corrects. He brings us back to the path.
John 10:27 is a declaration of the believer's relationship with Christ. Jesus said, "My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me." The context is the Good Shepherd discourse. Jesus had just healed a man born blind. The Pharisees had cast him out of the synagogue. Jesus sought him out and revealed Himself to him as the Son of God. Then He spoke of Himself as the Good Shepherd who lays down His life for the sheep (John 10:11). He contrasted Himself with the hireling who flees when he sees the wolf coming. He contrasted Himself with the thief who comes to steal, kill, and destroy (John 10:10). He is the Good Shepherd. He knows His sheep. He calls them by name. They hear His voice. They follow Him.
The Greek word for "hear" is akouΕ, which means to hear, to listen, to understand, and to obey. It is not a passive hearing; it is an active, responsive listening that leads to action. The sheep do not just hear the shepherd's voice; they recognize it. They know it. They distinguish it from the voice of a stranger. They follow it. They obey it.
The phrase "and I know them" is ginΕskΕ, which means to know intimately, to know personally, to know relationally. It is the same word used in John 10:14, where Jesus says, "I am the good shepherd; and I know My sheep, and am known by My own." The Good Shepherd does not just know about His sheep; He knows them. He knows their names. He knows their needs. He knows their struggles. He knows their fears. He knows everything about them. And they know Him.
The phrase "and they follow Me" is akoloutheΕ, which means to follow, to accompany, to be a disciple, or to imitate. It is a present tense verb, indicating ongoing, continuous action. The sheep do not follow the shepherd once; they follow Him continually. They do not follow Him for a while and then stop; they follow Him all the way. They do not follow Him when it is convenient; they follow Him when it is costly. They follow Him. They follow Him. They follow Him.
The principle of following God's Word is woven throughout Scripture. When God called Abraham, Abraham obeyed and went out, not knowing where he was going (Hebrews 11:8). He followed God's Word. When God called Moses, Moses went to Pharaoh and led the Israelites out of Egypt (Exodus 3-14). He followed God's Word. When God called Joshua, Joshua led the people across the Jordan and into the Promised Land (Joshua 1-6). He followed God's Word. When God called David, David shepherded the people of Israel with integrity of heart (Psalm 78:72). He followed God's Word. When God called the disciples, they left their nets and followed Jesus (Matthew 4:18-22). They followed God's Word. The pattern is clear: the people of God follow His Word. They hear His voice. They obey His commands. They walk in His ways.
The example of Jesus is our ultimate model. Jesus followed the Father's Word perfectly. He said, "I do nothing of Myself; but as My Father taught Me, I speak these things" (John 8:28). He said, "I can of Myself do nothing. As I hear, I judge; and My judgment is righteous, because I do not seek My own will but the will of the Father who sent Me" (John 5:30). He said, "My food is to do the will of Him who sent Me, and to finish His work" (John 4:34). Jesus heard the Father's voice. He knew the Father's will. He followed the Father's Word. And He calls us to do the same.
What We Often Get Wrong
The first and most common error is that we do not listen for God's voice. We are so busy, so distracted, so consumed with the noise of the world that we do not take time to be still and listen. We do not read His Word. We do not pray. We do not wait on Him. We do not quiet our hearts. And then we wonder why we cannot hear His voice. We must learn to listen. We must learn to be still. We must learn to tune our ears to the Shepherd's voice.
Second, we follow the wrong voices. We listen to the voice of the culture. We listen to the voice of the enemy. We listen to the voice of our own flesh. We listen to the voice of our peers. We listen to the voice of our feelings. We follow the voices that tell us what we want to hear, the voices that validate our desires, the voices that promise us what we think we need. But we must not follow those voices. We must follow the voice of the Good Shepherd. We must follow God's Word.
Third, we believe that God's voice is always loud and dramatic. We think that if God speaks, it will be in a thunderous voice, a dramatic sign, a supernatural manifestation. But God often speaks in a still, small voice (1 Kings 19:12). He often speaks through His Word. He often speaks through a gentle nudge, a quiet prompting, a wise counsel. We must not wait for the dramatic. We must learn to hear the gentle. We must learn to hear the still, small voice.
Fourth, we do not obey what we hear. We hear God's voice. We know what He is telling us to do. But we do not do it. We procrastinate. We make excuses. We delay. We disobey. But Jesus said, "My sheep hear My voice, and they follow Me." Hearing is not enough. Knowing is not enough. We must follow. We must obey. We must do what He says.
Fifth, we believe that we can follow God's Word without knowing it. We cannot follow what we do not know. We cannot obey what we have not heard. We cannot walk in a way we have not learned. We must know the Word. We must study the Word. We must meditate on the Word. We must memorize the Word. We must let it dwell in us richly. The more we know the Word, the more we will know His voice. The more we know His voice, the more we will follow Him.
Sixth, we give up when the path is difficult. Following God's Word is not always easy. The narrow way is difficult (Matthew 7:14). There are obstacles. There are trials. There are temptations. There are times when we cannot see the way ahead. But we must not give up. We must keep following. We must keep obeying. We must keep walking. The Shepherd is with us. He will guide us. He will lead us. He will bring us through.
Seventh, we forget that following God's Word is a relationship. It is not just about obeying rules. It is not just about keeping commandments. It is about knowing the Shepherd. It is about loving Him. It is about walking with Him. It is about listening to His voice because we know Him and we love Him. It is about following Him because we trust Him. It is a relationship. And the more we know Him, the more we will follow Him.
God's Perspective
God views His Word as the ultimate guide for your life. He has not left you to wander through life without direction. He has not left you to figure things out on your own. He has given you His Word. He has given you the Scriptures. He has given you His voice. He has given you His Spirit. He is not silent. He is not distant. He is speaking. He is guiding. He is leading. He is directing. He is telling you, "This is the way, walk in it." Listen to Him. Follow His Word.
God's perspective is that He is the Good Shepherd. He is not a hireling who flees when the wolf comes. He is not a thief who steals, kills, and destroys. He is the Good Shepherd who laid down His life for the sheep. He knows you. He calls you by name. He leads you. He guides you. He protects you. He provides for you. He will never leave you nor forsake you. You can trust Him. You can follow Him. He is worthy of your trust. He is worthy of your following.
God sees your wandering as a danger. He knows that you are prone to stray. He knows that you are tempted to turn to the right and to the left. He knows that there are many voices calling out to you, trying to lead you astray. He knows that the enemy is seeking to devour you. He knows that the world is trying to conform you. He warns you. He corrects you. He speaks to you. He says, "This is the way, walk in it." He wants to keep you on the path. He wants to keep you safe. He wants to bring you home.
God's perspective is that His Word is truth. It is not one truth among many. It is the truth. It is the standard by which everything else must be measured. It is the plumb line by which everything must be aligned. It is the foundation on which everything must be built. It is the compass that points to true north. It is the light that shines in the darkness. Follow His Word. It is the only way to life. It is the only way to joy. It is the only way to peace.
God sees your obedience as an act of worship. When you follow His Word, you are not just obeying commands. You are worshiping Him. You are declaring that He is Lord. You are declaring that He is good. You are declaring that He is trustworthy. You are declaring that He is worthy. You are honoring Him. You are glorifying Him. You are loving Him. Follow His Word. It is an act of worship.
Practical Application
Read God's Word Daily: If you want to follow God's Word, you must know God's Word. Read it daily. Make it a priority. Make it a habit. Read the Old Testament. Read the New Testament. Read it prayerfully. Read it expectantly. Read it obediently. The more you read, the more you will know. The more you know, the more you will follow.
Listen for His Voice: God is speaking. He is speaking through His Word. He is speaking through His Spirit. He is speaking through wise counsel. He is speaking through circumstances. Learn to listen. Be still. Be quiet. Be attentive. Ask Him to speak. Ask Him to give you ears to hear. Ask Him to make His voice clear. Then listen. Then obey.
Test Everything Against Scripture: The enemy can quote Scripture. The world can twist Scripture. Your flesh can misapply Scripture. You must test everything against Scripture. Is it consistent with God's Word? Is it consistent with God's character? Is it consistent with God's purposes? If it is not, reject it. If it is, follow it. The Word is your compass. The Word is your plumb line. The Word is your foundation.
Obey What You Hear: Hearing is not enough. Knowing is not enough. You must obey. When God tells you to do something, do it. When He tells you to stop doing something, stop. When He tells you to go, go. When He tells you to stay, stay. Do not delay. Do not procrastinate. Do not make excuses. Obey. Follow. Do what He says.
Stay Close to the Shepherd: The closer you are to the Shepherd, the better you will hear His voice. Spend time with Him. Pray. Worship. Meditate on His Word. Walk with Him daily. Abide in Him. Remain in Him. Stay connected to the Vine. The more you know Him, the more you will recognize His voice. The more you recognize His voice, the more you will follow Him.
Do Not Follow the Crowd: The crowd is often going the wrong way. The majority is often wrong. The broad way leads to destruction. Do not follow the crowd. Follow the Shepherd. Follow His Word. Follow His voice. Even if you have to stand alone. Even if you have to walk alone. Follow Him. He is the way, the truth, and the life.
Keep Following to the End: Following God's Word is not a sprint; it is a marathon. It is not a one-time decision; it is a lifelong commitment. There will be times when you stumble. There will be times when you stray. There will be times when you fall. But get back up. Keep following. Keep obeying. Keep walking. The Shepherd will lead you. The Shepherd will guide you. The Shepherd will bring you home.
Ask Yourself
Am I following God's Word, or am I following my own way?
Am I listening for His voice?
Am I reading His Word daily?
Am I testing everything against Scripture?
Am I obeying what I hear?
Am I staying close to the Shepherd?
Am I following the crowd or following Christ?
Am I committed to following Him to the end?
Reflection
Follow God's Word. This is the truth. This is the promise. This is the invitation. You do not have to wander through life without direction. You do not have to be confused by the many voices competing for your attention. You do not have to stumble in the darkness. You have a Shepherd. You have a Guide. You have a Teacher. You have a Word. You have a voice. He is speaking. He is saying, "This is the way, walk in it." Listen to Him. Follow Him. Follow His Word.
Your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying, "This is the way, walk in it," Whenever you turn to the right hand or whenever you turn to the left. This is the promise. This is the truth. This is the invitation. God is speaking. He is guiding. He is directing. He is telling you the way. Listen to His voice. Follow His Word. Do not turn to the right. Do not turn to the left. Walk in the way. Walk in the truth. Walk in the life.
My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. This is the truth. This is the promise. This is the invitation. You are His sheep. You hear His voice. He knows you. Follow Him. Do not follow a stranger. Do not follow the world. Do not follow the enemy. Do not follow your flesh. Follow the Shepherd. Follow His Word. Follow His voice. Follow Him.
So follow God's Word. Read it. Listen to it. Test everything against it. Obey it. Stay close to the Shepherd. Do not follow the crowd. Keep following to the end. And you will discover that when you follow God's Word, you will walk in the right path. You will arrive at the right destination. You will experience the peace that comes from knowing that you are being led by the Good Shepherd, who knows you, who loves you, and who will never lead you astray. Follow God's Word. He will lead you home.
Prayer
Father, I confess that I have not always followed Your Word. I have followed my own way. I have followed the crowd. I have followed the voice of the enemy. I have followed the voice of my flesh. Forgive me. Today, I choose to follow Your Word. I choose to listen for Your voice. I choose to read Your Word daily. I choose to test everything against Scripture. I choose to obey what I hear. I choose to stay close to the Shepherd. I choose to not follow the crowd. I choose to keep following You to the end. Speak to me, Lord. Guide me. Direct me. Tell me the way I should go. Give me ears to hear Your voice. Give me a heart to obey Your Word. Lead me on the right path. Guide me to the right destination. I will follow You. I will follow Your Word. I will follow Your voice. I will follow You all the days of my life. In Jesus' mighty name, Amen.
Declaration
I declare that I will follow God's Word. I will listen for His voice. I will read His Word daily. I will test everything against Scripture. I will obey what I hear. I will stay close to the Shepherd. I will not follow the crowd. I will follow Christ. I will follow His Word. I will follow His voice. Your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying, "This is the way, walk in it," Whenever you turn to the right hand or whenever you turn to the left. I hear that word. I will walk in that way. I will not turn to the right. I will not turn to the left. I will walk in the way of the Lord. My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. I am His sheep. I hear His voice. He knows me. I follow Him. I follow Him. I follow Him. I will follow God's Word all the days of my life. I will follow Him to the end. I will follow Him home.
Concluding Scripture
π John 10:27 (NKJV)
"My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me."
A Final Word
Follow God's Word. This is the truth. This is the promise. This is the invitation. You do not have to wander through life without direction. You do not have to be confused by the many voices competing for your attention. You do not have to stumble in the darkness. You have a Shepherd. You have a Guide. You have a Teacher. You have a Word. You have a voice. He is speaking. He is saying, "This is the way, walk in it." Listen to Him. Follow Him. Follow His Word.
Your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying, "This is the way, walk in it," Whenever you turn to the right hand or whenever you turn to the left. This is the promise. This is the truth. This is the invitation. God is speaking. He is guiding. He is directing. He is telling you the way. Listen to His voice. Follow His Word. Do not turn to the right. Do not turn to the left. Walk in the way. Walk in the truth. Walk in the life.
My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. This is the truth. This is the promise. This is the invitation. You are His sheep. You hear His voice. He knows you. Follow Him. Do not follow a stranger. Do not follow the world. Do not follow the enemy. Do not follow your flesh. Follow the Shepherd. Follow His Word. Follow His voice. Follow Him.
So follow God's Word. Read it. Listen to it. Test everything against it. Obey it. Stay close to the Shepherd. Do not follow the crowd. Keep following to the end. And you will discover that when you follow God's Word, you will walk in the right path. You will arrive at the right destination. You will experience the peace that comes from knowing that you are being led by the Good Shepherd, who knows you, who loves you, and who will never lead you astray. Follow God's Word. He will lead you home.

Comments
Post a Comment