YOU CANNOT RECOVER YESTERDAY

YOU CANNOT RECOVER YESTERDAY

REDEEMING THE TIME

Key Scripture

📖 Ephesians 5:15–16 (NKJV)
"See then that you walk circumspectly, not as fools but as wise, redeeming the time, because the days are evil."

📖 Psalm 90:12 (NKJV)
"So teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom."

Introduction

There is a commodity that is more precious than gold, more valuable than diamonds, and more sought after than any earthly treasure. It is a commodity that cannot be stored, cannot be saved, and cannot be recovered once it is spent. It is time. Every second that passes is gone forever. Every minute that ticks by is irretrievable. Every hour that elapses is lost to eternity. You cannot go back and relive yesterday. You cannot undo what was done. You cannot unsay what was said. You cannot reclaim what was wasted. Yesterday is gone. It is fixed. It is sealed. It is beyond your reach.

This is a sobering reality. It is a reality that many of us prefer not to think about. We live as if we have all the time in the world. We procrastinate. We delay. We put off until tomorrow what we should do today. We waste hours on trivialities. We squander days on distractions. We fritter away weeks on entertainment. We lose months to regret. We lose years to complacency. And then one day we wake up and realize that our time is almost gone. We realize that we have not accomplished what we wanted to accomplish. We realize that we have not become who we wanted to become. We realize that we have not invested in what truly matters. And we mourn the time we cannot recover.

The Apostle Paul understood the urgency of time. He wrote to the Ephesians, "See then that you walk circumspectly, not as fools but as wise, redeeming the time, because the days are evil." The Greek word for "redeeming" is exagorazō, which means to buy back, to redeem, to rescue from loss, or to make the most of. It was used in the marketplace to describe buying something at a premium price. Paul is telling us that time is so valuable that we must be willing to pay any price to make the most of it. We must buy back the time. We must rescue it from loss. We must use it wisely. And the reason is that the days are evil—there are countless distractions, temptations, and enemies that seek to steal our time.

Moses echoed this truth in Psalm 90:12: "So teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom." The Hebrew word for "number" is manah, which means to count, to reckon, or to appoint. The word for "days" is yom, which refers to the days of our lives. Moses is asking God to give him a realistic awareness of how short his life is. He wants to live with an eternal perspective. He wants to make every day count. And the result is a "heart of wisdom." When we understand the brevity of life, we live wisely.

This teaching is for everyone who has ever wasted time. It is for the one who has regrets about the past. It is for the one who has procrastinated. It is for the one who has been distracted. It is for the one who wants to make the most of the time they have left. It is time to learn to number your days. It is time to redeem the time. It is time to understand that you cannot recover yesterday, but you can make the most of today.

Biblical Truth

Ephesians 5:15–16 and Psalm 90:12 together provide a powerful biblical framework for understanding the value of time. They reveal that time is a precious, limited, and irrecoverable resource, and that we are called to use it wisely, redeeming the time because the days are evil.

Ephesians 5:15–16 is a call to intentional, purposeful living. The Greek word for "walk" is peripateō, which means to walk about, to live, to conduct oneself, or to order one's behavior. It is a present tense verb, indicating ongoing, continuous action. The Christian life is a walk. It is a journey. It is a daily, moment-by-moment experience. We are to walk "circumspectly." The Greek word is akribōs, which means accurately, carefully, precisely, or diligently. It is the same word used to describe the meticulous accuracy of the Law (Acts 22:3). We are to be careful. We are to be precise. We are to be intentional about how we live.

The contrast is stark: "Not as fools but as wise." The Greek word for "fools" is asophos, which means unwise, foolish, or senseless. The word for "wise" is sophos, which means wise, skillful, or prudent. The fool lives without thinking. The wise person lives with intention. The fool squanders time. The wise person redeems it. The fool is controlled by circumstances. The wise person controls their response to circumstances.

Then Paul gives the command: "Redeeming the time." The Greek word for "redeeming" is exagorazō, which means to buy back, to redeem, to rescue from loss, or to make the most of. It is a compound word: ek (out of) and agorazō (to buy in the marketplace). It means to buy up, to purchase completely, or to redeem. The word for "time" is kairos, which means a season, an opportunity, or an opportune moment. It is not chronos (chronological time), but kairos (opportunity time). Paul is telling us to seize the opportunities. To make the most of every moment. To buy back the time that would otherwise be lost. To rescue it from the enemy's grasp.

The reason is given: "Because the days are evil." The Greek word for "evil" is ponēros, which means evil, wicked, or malicious. The days we live in are dominated by evil. There are forces arrayed against us. There are distractions everywhere. There are temptations at every turn. The enemy wants to steal our time. He wants to waste our days. He wants to keep us busy with trivialities so that we neglect the things that really matter. We must be vigilant. We must be intentional. We must redeem the time.

Psalm 90:12 is a prayer of Moses, the man of God. Moses had witnessed the power of God. He had led the Israelites out of Egypt. He had seen miracles. He had communed with God on Mount Sinai. And yet, as he reflected on the human condition, he realized that life is short. He wrote, "The days of our lives are seventy years; and if by reason of strength they are eighty years, yet their boast is only labor and sorrow; for it is soon cut off, and we fly away" (Psalm 90:10). He recognized the brevity of life.

So he prayed, "So teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom." The Hebrew word for "teach" is yada, which means to know, to perceive, to understand, or to instruct. Moses is asking God to teach him something that is beyond human understanding. He wants God to reveal the true value of time. He wants to see his days from God's perspective.

The word for "number" is manah, which means to count, to reckon, to assign, or to appoint. It is a deliberate, calculated counting. It is not just knowing that life is short; it is living with the constant awareness of that reality. It is counting every day as a gift. It is making every day count. It is seeing each day as an opportunity that will never come again.

The result is a "heart of wisdom." The Hebrew word for "heart" is lebab, which means the inner self, the mind, the will, or the seat of emotion and decision. The word for "wisdom" is chokmah, which means wisdom, skill, prudence, or insight. When we understand the brevity of life, we gain wisdom. We stop wasting time on things that do not matter. We start investing in things that do. We prioritize the eternal over the temporary. We live with an eternal perspective.

The principle of the brevity of life is woven throughout Scripture. Job wrote, "My days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle" (Job 7:6). David wrote, "Indeed, You have made my days as handbreadths, and my age is as nothing before You; certainly every man at his best state is but vapor" (Psalm 39:5). He also wrote, "LORD, make me to know my end, and what is the measure of my days, that I may know how frail I am" (Psalm 39:4). James wrote, "For what is your life? It is even a vapor that appears for a little time and then vanishes away" (James 4:14). Peter wrote, "For 'All flesh is as grass, and all the glory of man as the flower of the grass. The grass withers, and its flower falls away'" (1 Peter 1:24). The Bible is clear: life is short. Time is fleeting. We must use it wisely.

The example of Jesus is our ultimate model. Jesus lived only thirty-three years on this earth. His public ministry lasted only three years. And yet He accomplished everything the Father sent Him to do. He said, "I have glorified You on the earth. I have finished the work which You have given Me to do" (John 17:4). Jesus was always aware of the time. He said, "I must work the works of Him who sent Me while it is day; the night is coming when no one can work" (John 9:4). He redeemed the time. He seized every opportunity. He did not waste a single moment. He lived with purpose, intentionality, and urgency. And because He did, He fulfilled the purpose of God.

What We Often Get Wrong

The first and most common error is that we live as if we have unlimited time. We think we have all the time in the world. We procrastinate. We delay. We put off until tomorrow what we should do today. We assume that we will have another day, another week, another year. But we are not guaranteed tomorrow. Our lives are a vapor. We do not know how long we have. We must live with the awareness that every day could be our last.

Second, we waste time on trivialities. We spend hours scrolling through social media. We binge-watch television shows. We play video games for endless hours. We engage in gossip. We argue about insignificant matters. We pursue entertainment. We chase distractions. And we neglect the things that really matter—our relationship with God, our families, our service to others, and our eternal destiny. We are like the person who spends all their money on candy while their house is falling down around them.

Third, we believe that we have time to get serious about God later. We think, "I will serve God when I am older. I will get serious about my faith when I have more time. I will pursue holiness when I have achieved my earthly goals." But this is a dangerous presumption. We do not know what tomorrow holds. We do not know when our time will come. Today is the day of salvation. Today is the day to get serious about God. Today is the day to redeem the time.

Fourth, we let the enemy steal our time. The enemy knows that time is precious. He knows that he cannot take away our salvation, but he can steal our time. He can distract us. He can discourage us. He can keep us busy with things that do not matter. He can keep us focused on the urgent instead of the important. He can keep us from praying, from reading the Word, from serving, and from investing in the Kingdom. We must be vigilant. We must not let the enemy steal our time.

Fifth, we confuse activity with productivity. We are busy, but we are not productive. We are running around, but we are not accomplishing anything significant. We confuse motion with progress. We think that if we are busy, we must be doing something important. But busyness is not the same as effectiveness. We must be intentional about our time. We must focus on what really matters. We must redeem the time, not just fill it.

Sixth, we live in the past. We dwell on regrets. We replay old mistakes. We mourn what we cannot recover. We wallow in what might have been. But we cannot recover yesterday. The past is gone. We cannot undo what was done. We cannot unsay what was said. We cannot reclaim what was wasted. We must let go of the past and focus on the present. We must redeem the time that remains.

Seventh, we forget that time is a gift from God. Every day we have is a gift. Every moment is a grace. Every breath is a mercy. We do not deserve the time we have. It is given to us by a loving Father who desires that we use it wisely. We must not take it for granted. We must not squander it. We must use it for His glory.

God's Perspective

God views time as a precious, limited, and irrecoverable resource. He knows that you cannot recover yesterday. He knows that every moment that passes is gone forever. He does not want you to waste the time you have. He wants you to use it wisely. He wants you to redeem it. He wants you to invest it in things that are eternal. He wants you to make every moment count for His Kingdom.

God's perspective is that He has given you enough time to do His will. You do not need more time. You need to use the time you have more wisely. You have enough time to pray. You have enough time to serve. You have enough time to love. You have enough time to fulfill your purpose. God does not give you more than you can handle. He gives you enough. But you must use it wisely.

God sees your days as numbered. He knows exactly how many days you have. He has appointed a time for every purpose under heaven (Ecclesiastes 3:1). Your days are not random. They are not haphazard. They are sovereignly ordained. And God wants you to live with the awareness that your days are numbered. He wants you to number your days. He wants you to make every day count.

God's perspective is that wisdom comes from understanding the brevity of life. When you realize that life is short, you stop wasting time on things that do not matter. You start investing in things that do. You prioritize the eternal over the temporary. You live with urgency. You live with purpose. You live with wisdom. The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom (Proverbs 9:10). The wise person understands that time is a gift. The fool lives as if there is no tomorrow.

God sees your time as an investment. Every moment is an opportunity to invest in eternity. You can invest in prayer. You can invest in the Word. You can invest in relationships. You can invest in service. You can invest in the Kingdom. These are the investments that will last forever. The things you do in this life have eternal consequences. Every moment is a seed you plant. Every day is a harvest you reap. Invest wisely.

God's perspective is that He is the giver of time. He is the one who numbers your days. He is the one who holds your future in His hands. He is not constrained by time. He is eternal. He has always been and always will be. And He has given you a portion of His time. He has given you a window of opportunity. He has given you a chance to know Him, serve Him, and glorify Him. Do not waste it. Do not squander it. Use it wisely.

Practical Application

Number Your Days: Take time to calculate how many days you have lived. Then, calculate how many days you might have left if you live to be seventy, eighty, or ninety years old. The number will shock you. Let that number sink in. Let it drive you to live with urgency. Let it motivate you to redeem the time. Let it give you a heart of wisdom.

Prioritize the Important Over the Urgent: Many things are urgent, but not everything urgent is important. Learn to distinguish between the two. Prioritize the important—your relationship with God, your family, your service to others, and your eternal destiny. Do not let the urgent crowd out the important. Do not let the trivial crowd out the significant.

Eliminate Time Wasters: Identify the things that steal your time. Is it social media? Is it television? Is it excessive scrolling? Is it gossip? Is it procrastination? Identify it. Then, eliminate it or reduce it. You cannot redeem the time if you are wasting it on things that do not matter.

Plan Your Day: Do not let your day just happen. Plan it. Make a schedule. Set goals. Decide in advance how you will spend your time. Be intentional. Be deliberate. Be purposeful. The wise person plans. The fool drifts.

Start with God: Every morning, start with God. Spend time in prayer. Read your Bible. Worship. Seek His guidance. Commit the day to Him. Let Him direct your steps. When you start with God, the rest of the day falls into place. You will be more focused, more productive, and more effective.

Invest in Eternity: Every day, do something that has eternal value. Pray. Read the Word. Share the Gospel. Disciple someone. Serve others. Give to those in need. Invest in things that will last. Do not just fill your time; invest it.

Let Go of the Past: You cannot recover yesterday. Stop dwelling on your regrets. Stop replaying your mistakes. Stop mourning what might have been. The past is gone. It is forgiven. It is under the blood. Let it go. Focus on the present. Focus on what you can do today. Focus on the future. Focus on what God can do through you now.

Ask Yourself

Am I living as if I have unlimited time?

What am I wasting my time on?

Am I prioritizing the important over the urgent?

Do I start my day with God?

Am I investing in things that will last?

Do I dwell on the past, or do I focus on the present?

If I knew I had only one month to live, what would I do differently?

Reflection

You cannot recover yesterday. You cannot go back and relive the past. You cannot undo what was done. You cannot unsay what was said. You cannot reclaim what was wasted. Yesterday is gone. It is fixed. It is sealed. It is beyond your reach. But you have today. You have this moment. You have this opportunity. You can redeem the time. You can make the most of the present. You can invest in the future. You can live with wisdom. You can make every moment count.

The days are evil. The enemy wants to steal your time. He wants to distract you. He wants to keep you busy with things that do not matter. He wants to keep you focused on the urgent instead of the important. He wants to keep you from praying, from reading the Word, from serving, and from investing in the Kingdom. You must be vigilant. You must be intentional. You must redeem the time.

Teach us to number our days. That is the prayer. That is the cry of the wise. Teach us to understand the brevity of life. Teach us to value every moment. Teach us to live with urgency. Teach us to prioritize the eternal over the temporary. Teach us to make every day count. Teach us to gain a heart of wisdom.

So number your days. Redeem the time. Live with wisdom. Invest in eternity. Let go of the past. Focus on the present. Embrace the future. And when your time on earth is done, you will hear, "Well done, good and faithful servant. You have been faithful over a few things; I will make you ruler over many things. Enter into the joy of your Lord." That is the reward of those who redeem the time. That is the reward of those who number their days. That is the reward of the wise.

Prayer

Father, I confess that I have wasted time. I have squandered opportunities. I have procrastinated. I have been distracted. I have lived as if I have unlimited time. Forgive me. Today, I choose to redeem the time. I choose to number my days. I choose to live with wisdom. I choose to prioritize the eternal over the temporary. I choose to invest in what matters. I choose to let go of the past. I choose to focus on the present. I choose to make every moment count. Teach me to number my days. Give me a heart of wisdom. Help me to use my time wisely. Help me to live with urgency. Help me to live for Your glory. In Jesus' mighty name, Amen.

Declaration

I declare that I cannot recover yesterday. The past is gone. I will not dwell on it. I will not mourn what I cannot change. I will not waste today regretting yesterday. I will redeem the time. I will number my days. I will live with wisdom. I will prioritize the important over the urgent. I will eliminate time wasters. I will plan my day. I will start with God. I will invest in eternity. I will let go of the past. I will focus on the present. I will embrace the future. The days are evil, but I will be wise. I will make the most of every opportunity. I will live with urgency. I will live with purpose. I will live for what matters. I cannot recover yesterday, but I can make today count.

Concluding Scripture

📖 Psalm 90:12 (NKJV)
"So teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom."

A Final Word

You cannot recover yesterday. The past is gone. It is fixed. It is sealed. It is beyond your reach. But you have today. You have this moment. You have this opportunity. You can redeem the time. You can make the most of the present. You can invest in the future. You can live with wisdom. You can make every moment count.

The days are evil. The enemy wants to steal your time. He wants to distract you. He wants to keep you busy with things that do not matter. He wants to keep you focused on the urgent instead of the important. He wants to keep you from praying, from reading the Word, from serving, and from investing in the Kingdom. You must be vigilant. You must be intentional. You must redeem the time.

Teach us to number our days. That is the prayer. That is the cry of the wise. Teach us to understand the brevity of life. Teach us to value every moment. Teach us to live with urgency. Teach us to prioritize the eternal over the temporary. Teach us to make every day count. Teach us to gain a heart of wisdom.

So number your days. Redeem the time. Live with wisdom. Invest in eternity. Let go of the past. Focus on the present. Embrace the future. And when your time on earth is done, you will hear, "Well done, good and faithful servant. You have been faithful over a few things; I will make you ruler over many things. Enter into the joy of your Lord." That is the reward of those who redeem the time. That is the reward of those who number their days. That is the reward of the wise.

Comments