RETURNING TO OLD CHAINS
STAND FAST IN FREEDOM
Key Scripture
📖 Galatians 5:1 (NKJV)
"Stand fast therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free, and do not be entangled again with a yoke of bondage."
Introduction
There is a phenomenon that baffles many who have experienced the grace of God. It is the inexplicable tendency of believers to return to the very things from which they were delivered. Like a dog returning to its vomit (Proverbs 26:11), like the Israelites longing for the fleshpots of Egypt, we look back at the chains that once held us and, inexplicably, we are drawn to them. We have been set free, but we are tempted to pick up the shackles again.
The Apostle Paul writes with urgency and passion to the Galatian believers who were falling into this very trap. False teachers had infiltrated the church, insisting that faith in Christ was not enough—that Gentile believers must also be circumcised and follow the Mosaic law. They were adding works to grace, rules to freedom, and chains to liberty. Paul confronts this error with one of the most powerful declarations in all of Scripture: "Stand fast therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free, and do not be entangled again with a yoke of bondage."
Paul's words are not a suggestion; they are a command. He is telling the Galatians—and us—to stand firm. To hold your ground. To refuse to surrender the freedom Christ has purchased with His blood. The "yoke of bondage" represents any system of salvation by works, any rule-based religion, any attempt to earn God's favor through human effort. And Paul says, "Do not go back to it. Do not be entangled again." This teaching is for everyone who has tasted the freedom of grace but is being tempted to return to the chains of legalism, performance, or self-effort. It is time to stand fast in the liberty Christ has given you and refuse to be enslaved again.
Biblical Truth
Galatians 5:1 is the thesis statement of the entire book of Galatians. Paul has spent four chapters arguing against the Judaizers—those who were teaching that Gentile believers must keep the Mosaic law to be saved. He has declared that we are justified by faith in Christ, not by works of the law (Galatians 2:16). He has explained that the law was a tutor to lead us to Christ, but now that faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor (Galatians 3:24-25). He has compared Hagar and Sarah, showing that we are children of the free woman, not the slave (Galatians 4:21-31). And now he concludes: "Stand fast therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free."
The Greek word for "stand fast" is stēkō, which means to stand firm, to persevere, or to hold one's ground. It is a military term used of soldiers who hold their position against an enemy attack. Paul is calling believers to be soldiers of freedom, holding their ground against the assault of legalism. The enemy is trying to steal your liberty, and you must resist. You must stand.
The "liberty" Paul speaks of is eleutheria—freedom. It is not a license to sin; it is freedom from the curse of the law, freedom from the penalty of sin, freedom from the power of the flesh, and freedom from the condemnation of the accuser. It is the freedom to live as a child of God, accepted and loved, not because of what you do, but because of what Christ has done. This liberty is not earned; it is given. It is not achieved; it is received. It is the gift of grace.
The warning is to not be "entangled again" with a "yoke of bondage." The Greek word for "entangled" is enechō, which means to be caught in, to be held fast, or to be entangled like an animal in a snare. Paul is painting a vivid picture of a bird that was once free and is now caught in a trap. The "yoke of bondage" is the law—not the law of God properly understood, but the law as a system of salvation. It is the burden of trying to earn God's approval through human effort. Paul calls it a "yoke" because it is heavy and oppressive. It was a yoke that the Jewish people could not bear (Acts 15:10), and Paul will not allow the Gentiles to be subjected to it.
The tragedy is that the Galatians were returning to something that could never save them. They had begun in the Spirit but were now trying to be perfected by the flesh (Galatians 3:3). They were deserting the One who called them for a different gospel (Galatians 1:6). Paul is heartbroken and perplexed. He asks, "You were running well. Who hindered you?" (Galatians 5:7). Something had cut in on their race. Something had stolen their freedom.
What We Often Get Wrong
The first and most common error is that we confuse freedom with license. Many believers, when they hear of freedom in Christ, assume it means they can do whatever they want. Paul anticipates this and warns in Galatians 5:13: "For you, brethren, have been called to liberty; only do not use liberty as an opportunity for the flesh." Freedom is not freedom to sin; it is freedom from sin. It is not the absence of restraint; it is the presence of grace. True freedom in Christ leads to love, joy, peace, and all the fruit of the Spirit. It does not lead to self-indulgence.
Second, we create new laws to replace the old ones. When we are set free from the law, we often build new legalistic systems. We create rules about what to wear, what to eat, how to worship, and how to serve. We judge others who do not follow our rules. We become Pharisees in a new robe. But Paul is clear: the law is not the path to righteousness. Only faith in Christ is. Any system that adds requirements to grace is a yoke of bondage. We must resist the temptation to create new chains.
Third, we return to self-effort when we face challenges. When we are struggling with sin, or when life is hard, we default to performance. We think, "If I try harder, pray more, read my Bible more, and serve more, God will accept me." But this is returning to the yoke of bondage. Grace is not just for salvation; it is for sanctification. We are saved by grace, and we live by grace. Our efforts are not to earn God's favor but to respond to it.
Fourth, we forget that the Cross finished everything. Jesus cried out, "It is finished!" (John 19:30). He paid it all. There is nothing left to pay. There is nothing left to earn. There is nothing left to achieve. The debt is cancelled. The punishment is borne. The wrath is satisfied. When you add anything to the Cross, you are diminishing it. You are saying that what Jesus did was not enough. This is the worst form of pride.
Fifth, we place ourselves back under condemnation. When we fail, we think God is angry with us. We think we need to make it up to Him. We think He is disappointed, distant, and waiting for us to perform. But this is a lie. Romans 8:1 declares, "There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are Christ Jesus." None. Zero. You are not under condemnation; you are under grace. Standing in freedom means refusing to live under the cloud of condemnation when you stumble.
Sixth, we compare ourselves to others. This is a form of returning to legalism. We measure our spirituality against someone else's. We say, "I'm not as good as them," or "I'm better than them." But the standard is not other people; the standard is Christ. And in Christ, you are complete (Colossians 2:10). You do not need to compare; you need to rest.
God's Perspective
God views your freedom as the foundation of your relationship with Him. He did not save you so you could become a slave again. He saved you to be His child, His heir, His friend. Galatians 4:7 says, "Therefore you are no longer a slave but a son." God does not want slaves; He wants children. Slaves work to earn favor; children rest in love. Slaves obey out of fear; children obey out of joy. You are not a slave; you are a son. You are not a servant; you are a friend.
God's perspective is that grace is the only way. The law cannot save, and the law cannot sanctify. Only grace can. Paul writes in Galatians 2:21, "I do not set aside the grace of God; for if righteousness comes through the law, then Christ died in vain." To return to the law is to say that Christ's death was unnecessary. It is to nullify grace. God sees our attempts at self-righteousness as a rejection of His righteousness. He does not want our efforts; He wants our surrender.
God sees the old chains as destructive and unnecessary. He did not break the chains of your sin, shame, and condemnation for you to pick them up again. He broke them for a reason—so you could be free. Returning to them is like an ex-convict voluntarily returning to prison after being pardoned by the governor. It is irrational. It is foolish. And it breaks God's heart. He wants you to live in the freedom He purchased for you.
God's perspective is that the Holy Spirit is the answer to the flesh. In Galatians 5, Paul goes on to say, "Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh" (Galatians 5:16). The answer to legalism is not license; it is the Spirit. When you walk in the Spirit, you are free from the law and free from the flesh. The Spirit produces fruit in your life—love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control (Galatians 5:22-23). These are not produced by effort; they are produced by the Spirit. Your job is not to produce them; your job is to walk in the Spirit.
Practical Application
Examine Your Belief System: Take time to ask yourself: Do I believe I am saved by grace alone? Do I believe I am kept by grace alone? Do I believe I am sanctified by grace alone? Or have I added requirements? Write down what you believe and test it against Scripture. Reject anything that is not grace-based and return to the truth of the Gospel.
Identify Your Yokes: What are the "yokes of bondage" you are tempted to return to? Is it people-pleasing? Performance? Perfectionism? Legalism? Comparing yourself to others? Trying to earn God's favor? Name them. Identify them. Then consciously reject them. Say out loud, "I renounce this yoke. It is not from God. I am free in Christ."
Stand Firm Daily: Make a daily declaration of your freedom. Say, "I stand fast in the liberty by which Christ has made me free. I am not under the law; I am under grace. I am not a slave; I am a son. I am not condemned; I am forgiven. I am not trying to earn God's love; I am receiving it." This is spiritual warfare against the lies of the enemy.
Walk in the Spirit: When you feel the pull toward legalism or license, stop and ask the Holy Spirit to guide you. Say, "Lord, I do not know what to do, but I know You do. I walk in Your Spirit. I trust You to lead me." Then obey the promptings of the Spirit. He will guide you into truth and freedom.
Reject Condemnation: When you fail, do not run from God; run to Him. Confess your sin, receive His forgiveness, and continue walking in freedom. Do not let condemnation chain you. 1 John 1:9 is your promise: "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." You are forgiven. You are free.
Ask Yourself
Am I living in the freedom Christ gave me, or am I living under a yoke of bondage?
Am I trying to earn God's favor through my efforts?
Have I added requirements to grace—rules that are not in Scripture?
Do I believe that God is pleased with me because of Christ, or because of my performance?
Am I walking in the Spirit or in the flesh?
When I fail, do I run to God or from Him?
Reflection
You were born into slavery—slavery to sin, slavery to the law, slavery to condemnation. But Christ came to set you free. He paid the price. He broke the chains. He opened the prison door. He declared, "You are free." And you are. You are free from the penalty of sin. You are free from the power of sin. You are free from the curse of the law. You are free from the condemnation of the accuser. You are free to live as a child of God, accepted, loved, and cherished. But freedom is not automatic; it must be stood in. The enemy will try to steal your freedom. He will tell you that you are not enough. He will tell you that you need to try harder. He will tell you that God is angry with you. He will try to put you back in chains. But you must resist. You must stand. You must say, "I am free in Christ. I will not return to bondage." The old chains are broken. Do not pick them up. Walk in the freedom of the Spirit. Live in the grace of God. Stand fast in the liberty by which Christ has made you free.
Prayer
Father, I thank You that I am free in Christ. I thank You that You have broken every chain of sin, condemnation, and legalism. I confess that I have been tempted to return to the old ways—to performance, to self-effort, to trying to earn what You have already given. Forgive me for forgetting the freedom You purchased for me. Today, I renounce every yoke of bondage. I renounce legalism. I renounce people-pleasing. I renounce perfectionism. I renounce comparison. I renounce condemnation. I stand fast in the liberty by which Christ has made me free. I declare that I am not a slave; I am a son. I am not condemned; I am forgiven. I am not trying to earn Your favor; I am walking in Your grace. Fill me with Your Spirit. Lead me into all truth. Help me to walk in the freedom that is mine in Christ. In Jesus' mighty name, Amen.
Declaration
I declare that I am free in Christ. I am no longer a slave to sin, the law, or condemnation. I stand fast in the liberty by which Christ has made me free. I refuse to be entangled again with any yoke of bondage. I am not saved by works; I am saved by grace. I am not kept by effort; I am kept by faith. I am not condemned; I am forgiven. I am not a slave; I am a child of God. I walk in the Spirit, and I will not fulfill the lust of the flesh. I am free. I am loved. I am accepted. I am His.
Concluding Scripture
📖 John 8:36 (NKJV)
"Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed."

Comments
Post a Comment