When You Lose Your Job : Psalm 37:25
Psalm 37:25
Key Bible Verse
"I was young and now I am old, yet I have never seen the righteous forsaken or their children begging bread."
Short Reflection
You know the free fall. The meeting that ended with a box. The email that started with "unfortunately." The identity that evaporated when the badge stopped beeping. You have read this verse like an employment contract. I have never seen the righteous forsaken. You counted yourself among the righteous. You showed up early, stayed late, kept your head down, played the game. You believed that hard work was holiness, that productivity was proof of divine favor, that your steady paycheck was evidence that God was pleased. And now the paycheck is gone, the inbox is silent, the savings leak like a cracked cistern, and your children look at you with questions you cannot answer. You feel forsaken. You feel like the exception to the promise. The righteous one left holding a cardboard box while the world moves on.
You think your problem is unemployment. You think God has allowed an injustice. You think your faithfulness deserved better.
But stop.
You are not the righteous beggar waiting for provision.
You are the one who thought your job was your righteousness.
You are the Pharisee who mistook his W-2 for his worth. You are the one who looked down on the unemployed from the height of your productivity. You are the one who believed that employment was evidence of character, that busyness was next to godliness, that the size of your paycheck reflected the size of your faith. You were not righteous. You were functional. You were not devoted to God. You were devoted to your own sufficiency. You did not trust in the Lord. You trusted in your performance review. And the loss of your job is not God forsaking the righteous. It is God exposing that your righteousness was a counterfeit you printed in your own basement.
You thought you were providing for your family. You were feeding your ego. You thought you were building security. You were constructing a tower of Babel with spreadsheets and direct deposit. You thought you were independent. You were merely camouflaged. The employed saint and the unemployed saint are both bankrupt; one just had better lighting. And now the lights are off. The stage is empty. The costume has been returned. And you are left with the terrifying question you have spent your whole life avoiding: Who am I when I am not producing?
You have never seen the righteous forsaken? You have never seen yourself. You are the child begging bread — you always were — but you refused to hold out your hand. You preferred the dignity of the payroll to the humiliation of grace. You would rather earn your daily bread than receive it, because earning makes you the righteous one and receiving makes you the beggar. But the children of God are beggars. Always have been. The only difference is that some of us beg in suits.
And here is what God did with a self-righteous worker like you: He sent the only truly righteous Worker who ever lived.
Jesus had a job. He was the Son, the Heir, the beloved Apprentice in the family business of redemption. He had perfect attendance, flawless performance, and a work ethic that never slept. He was the only human who ever earned the promise of Psalm 37:25 — the only one who could say with absolute integrity, "I have never seen the righteous forsaken" — because He was the righteous one. And He was forsaken anyway. Deliberately. Totally. "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" He lost His position. He was stripped of His credentials. He was escorted out of the garden by security. He was hung on a cross outside the city, unemployed, exposed, His children scattered and terrified, begging for bread while the world gambled for His clothes. The only righteous man became the forsaken beggar — so that unrighteous people like you could be adopted into a family where no one ever has to beg, because the Father owns everything.
Your job is gone. Your righteousness was gone long before that. But the righteousness of Christ cannot be downsized, outsourced, or made redundant. And the bread you need is not in your hands. It is in His.
What Does This Mean?
You are not the victim of an unjust economy. You are the idolater who discovered his god was made of paychecks. The loss of your job is not forsakenness. It is the demolition of a counterfeit righteousness. Christ was the only righteous worker, and He was forsaken in your place so that you could be counted righteous without ever clocking in again.
How Does This Apply to Me?
Have I been treating my employment as evidence of my righteousness and divine favor?
What part of my identity was built on my productivity, and what is left when that is stripped away?
Have I looked down on the unemployed as lazy or less blessed, while trusting in my own work ethic?
Do I believe I am a child who earns bread, or a child who receives it?
Am I willing to be a beggar in the kingdom of God, or do I need the dignity of my own sufficiency?
One Truth to Carry
You are not the righteous one forsaken by circumstance. You are the unrighteous one found by grace. Christ was the forsaken righteous worker so you could become the beloved unemployed child.
Short Prayer
Lord, I thought my job was my righteousness. I thought my paycheck was proof of Your favor. I looked down from my productivity and called it holiness. Now the stage is empty, and I am terrified because I do not know who I am when I am not producing. Thank You that Jesus was the only righteous worker, and He was forsaken in my place. Strip away my counterfeit worth. Let me be the beggar I always was, receiving bread I did not earn from a Father who will never let His children starve. In Jesus' name, Amen.

Comments
Post a Comment