PROTECT YOUR RELATIONSHIPS
GUARDING THE BOND
Key Scripture
📖 Ephesians 4:26–27 (NKJV)
"Be angry, and do not sin: do not let the sun go down on your wrath, nor give place to the devil."
📖 1 Corinthians 1:10 (NKJV)
"Now I plead with you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment."
Introduction
There is a treasure that is more valuable than gold, more precious than silver, and more fragile than crystal. It is the treasure of relationships. It is the treasure of the bonds that God has given us—with our spouses, our children, our parents, our friends, our brothers and sisters in Christ. These relationships are gifts from God. They are meant to be cherished, nurtured, and protected. But they are also under attack. The enemy knows that if he can destroy your relationships, he can destroy your joy, your peace, your witness, and your effectiveness for the Kingdom. He knows that if he can divide you from those God has placed in your life, he can isolate you, discourage you, and defeat you. And so he works tirelessly to sow discord, to stir up offense, to create division, and to destroy the bonds that God has established.
The Apostle Paul understood this. He wrote to the Ephesians, "Be angry, and do not sin: do not let the sun go down on your wrath, nor give place to the devil." The Greek word for "angry" is orgizō, which means to be angry, to be provoked, or to be enraged. The word for "sin" is hamartanō, which means to sin, to miss the mark, or to err. The word for "sun" is hēlios, which refers to the sun. The word for "go down" is epiduō, which means to set, to go down, or to descend. The word for "wrath" is parorgismos, which means provocation, irritation, or anger. The word for "place" is topos, which means a place, an opportunity, or a foothold. The word for "devil" is diabolos, which means slanderer, accuser, or adversary.
Paul is saying, "You will get angry. That is not a sin. But do not let your anger lead you into sin. Do not let the sun go down on your wrath. Do not go to bed angry. Do not let your anger fester overnight. Because if you do, you will give place to the devil. You will give him a foothold. You will open a door. You will give him an opportunity to destroy your relationships." Unresolved anger is a door. It is a door that the enemy walks through. It is a door that leads to bitterness, to resentment, to division, and to destruction.
The Apostle Paul also wrote to the Corinthians, "Now I plead with you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment." The Greek word for "plead" is parakaleō, which means to call to one's side, to exhort, to encourage, or to comfort. It is the same word used for the Holy Spirit, the Paraclete, the One who comes alongside to help. The word for "speak" is legō, which means to speak, to say, or to communicate. The word for "same thing" is to auto, which means the same thing, the same message, or the same word. The word for "divisions" is schisma, which means a division, a tear, a rift, or a schism. The word for "perfectly joined together" is katartizō, which means to restore, to mend, to complete, or to equip. The word for "mind" is nous, which means the mind, the understanding, or the intellect. The word for "judgment" is gnōmē, which means an opinion, a judgment, or a purpose.
Paul is saying, "I plead with you, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you all speak the same thing. That there be no divisions among you. That you be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment. I plead with you to protect your relationships. I plead with you to guard your unity. I plead with you to be one."
This teaching is for everyone who has been given the gift of relationships. It is for the one who has been hurt by someone they love. It is for the one who is tempted to hold onto offense. It is for the one who is at risk of giving place to the devil. It is for the one who needs to learn to protect their relationships. It is time to guard your relationships. It is time to protect your unity. It is time to be one.
Biblical Truth
Ephesians 4:26–27 and 1 Corinthians 1:10 together provide a powerful biblical framework for understanding the importance of protecting our relationships. They reveal that unresolved anger gives place to the devil, and that we are called to be perfectly joined together in the same mind and the same judgment.
Ephesians 4:26–27 is a crucial passage about anger and relationships. Paul writes, "Be angry, and do not sin: do not let the sun go down on your wrath, nor give place to the devil."
The Greek word for "angry" is orgizō, which means to be angry, to be provoked, or to be enraged. It is a present tense imperative, indicating ongoing action. Paul is not commanding us to be angry. He is acknowledging that we will be angry. He is quoting Psalm 4:4, which says, "Be angry, and do not sin. Meditate within your heart on your bed, and be still." The psalmist acknowledges that anger is a normal human emotion. But he also gives a command: do not sin. Anger itself is not sin. It is what you do with your anger that determines whether it becomes sin.
The Greek word for "sin" is hamartanō, which means to sin, to miss the mark, or to err. The phrase "do not let the sun go down on your wrath" is ho hēlios mē epiduō epi tō parorgismō hymōn, which means "do not let the sun set on your provocation" or "do not let the sun go down on your anger." The word for "sun" is hēlios. The word for "go down" is epiduō, which means to set, to go down, or to descend. The word for "wrath" is parorgismos, which means provocation, irritation, or anger. Paul is saying, "Do not let the sun go down on your anger. Do not go to bed angry. Do not let your anger fester overnight. Deal with it. Resolve it. Release it. Forgive."
Then Paul gives the reason: "Nor give place to the devil." The Greek word for "place" is topos, which means a place, an opportunity, or a foothold. The word for "devil" is diabolos, which means slanderer, accuser, or adversary. Paul is saying, "Do not give the devil a foothold. Do not give him an opportunity. Do not open a door for him. Unresolved anger is a door. It is a door that the enemy walks through. It is a door that leads to bitterness, to resentment, to division, and to destruction."
1 Corinthians 1:10 expands on this truth. Paul writes, "Now I plead with you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment."
The Greek word for "plead" is parakaleō, which means to call to one's side, to exhort, to encourage, or to comfort. It is the same word used for the Holy Spirit, the Paraclete, the One who comes alongside to help. Paul is not commanding; he is pleading. He is not demanding; he is urging. He is not lecturing; he is loving. He is saying, "I plead with you, brethren. I beg you. I urge you. By the name of our Lord Jesus Christ."
The phrase "by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ" is significant. Paul is not appealing to his own authority. He is not appealing to his own preferences. He is appealing to the name of Jesus. He is appealing to the One who saved them. He is appealing to the One who died for them. He is appealing to the One who rose again for them. He is saying, "For the sake of Jesus, for the glory of Jesus, for the name of Jesus, I plead with you."
The plea is "that you all speak the same thing." The Greek word for "speak" is legō, which means to speak, to say, or to communicate. The word for "same thing" is to auto, which means the same thing, the same message, or the same word. Paul is not saying that everyone must have the same opinion on every minor issue. He is saying that everyone must be united on the essentials of the faith. He is saying that everyone must speak the same thing about Jesus. He is saying that everyone must be of one mind and one voice.
The phrase "and that there be no divisions among you" is kai mē ē en hymin schismata, which means "and that there be no schisms among you." The Greek word for "divisions" is schisma, which means a division, a tear, a rift, or a schism. It is the same word used in Matthew 9:16, where Jesus speaks of a patch of new cloth on an old garment, and the tear is made worse. It is the same word used in John 7:43, where the crowd was divided because of Jesus. It is the same word used in John 9:16, where the Pharisees were divided. It is the same word used in John 10:19, where the Jews were divided. Paul is saying, "Do not let there be any divisions among you. Do not let there be any tears. Do not let there be any rifts. Do not let there be any schisms."
The positive alternative is "but that you be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment." The Greek word for "perfectly joined together" is katartizō, which means to restore, to mend, to complete, or to equip. It is the same word used in Matthew 4:21, where James and John were "mending their nets." It is the same word used in Galatians 6:1, where Paul says, "Brethren, if a man is overtaken in any trespass, you who are spiritual restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness." It is the same word used in 1 Thessalonians 3:10, where Paul prays that he might "perfect what is lacking in your faith." The word for "mind" is nous, which means the mind, the understanding, or the intellect. The word for "judgment" is gnōmē, which means an opinion, a judgment, or a purpose. Paul is saying, "Be perfectly joined together. Be mended. Be restored. Be complete. Be of the same mind. Be of the same judgment."
The principle of protecting relationships is woven throughout Scripture. When Abraham and Lot separated, Abraham sought peace (Genesis 13:8-9). When Jacob and Esau reconciled, they wept on each other's necks (Genesis 33:4). When Joseph and his brothers were reunited, Joseph forgave them and provided for them (Genesis 45:1-15). When David and Jonathan were friends, their souls were knit together (1 Samuel 18:1). When Jesus prayed for His disciples, He prayed that they would be one (John 17:21). When Paul wrote to the Philippians, he pleaded with Euodia and Syntyche to be of the same mind (Philippians 4:2). The pattern is clear: the people of God protect their relationships. They guard their unity. They seek peace. They pursue reconciliation. They forgive. They love.
The example of Jesus is our ultimate model. Jesus protected His relationships. He did not let anger fester. He did not let offense take root. He did not let division occur. He forgave Peter for denying Him. He forgave Thomas for doubting Him. He forgave the disciples for abandoning Him. He forgave His enemies for crucifying Him. He did not give place to the devil. He did not give the enemy a foothold. He protected His relationships. And He calls us to do the same.
What We Often Get Wrong
The first and most common error is that we let anger fester. We do not deal with our anger. We do not resolve it. We do not release it. We hold onto it. We nurse it. We replay the offense over and over in our minds. We rehearse the wrong. We dwell on the hurt. We let it grow. We let it spread. And before we know it, a root of bitterness has taken hold of our hearts. And that root begins to destroy our relationships. We must not let anger fester. We must deal with it quickly. We must resolve it. We must release it. We must forgive.
Second, we go to bed angry. We let the sun go down on our wrath. We do not resolve the conflict. We do not seek reconciliation. We do not apologize. We do not forgive. We just go to bed. We sleep on it. We let it simmer overnight. And when we wake up, the anger is still there. It has grown. It has hardened. It has become more difficult to resolve. We must not go to bed angry. We must deal with it before the sun goes down. We must resolve it. We must seek reconciliation.
Third, we give place to the devil. We open a door for the enemy. We give him a foothold. We give him an opportunity. We let him into our relationships. We let him into our homes. We let him into our churches. We let him into our lives. And he wreaks havoc. He sows discord. He stirs up offense. He creates division. He destroys the bonds that God has established. We must not give place to the devil. We must close the door. We must resist him. We must stand firm against him.
Fourth, we allow divisions to form. We let schisms occur. We let rifts develop. We let tears happen. We let the body of Christ be divided. We let families be fractured. We let friendships be broken. We let marriages be destroyed. We must not allow divisions to form. We must be perfectly joined together. We must be mended. We must be restored. We must be of the same mind and the same judgment.
Fifth, we do not seek reconciliation. We do not go to our brother or sister who has offended us. We do not apologize for our own offenses. We do not extend forgiveness. We do not pursue peace. We do not make the first move. We just wait for them to come to us. But reconciliation requires action. It requires humility. It requires initiative. We must seek reconciliation. We must pursue peace.
Sixth, we do not forgive. We hold onto offenses. We keep a record of wrongs. We refuse to release the debt. We refuse to let it go. But forgiveness is not optional. It is a command. Jesus said, "For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses" (Matthew 6:14-15). We must forgive. We must release. We must let it go.
Seventh, we do not protect our relationships. We do not guard them. We do not nurture them. We do not invest in them. We do not prioritize them. We take them for granted. We neglect them. We let them wither. We let them die. We must protect our relationships. We must guard them. We must nurture them. We must invest in them. We must prioritize them.
God's Perspective
God views your relationships as a precious gift. He has given them to you for your good and for His glory. He has given you a spouse to love and cherish. He has given you children to nurture and train. He has given you friends to encourage and support. He has given you brothers and sisters in Christ to walk with and serve alongside. These relationships are gifts from His hand. He does not want you to neglect them. He does not want you to destroy them. He wants you to cherish them. He wants you to protect them. He wants you to nurture them.
God's perspective is that He is the God of peace. He is not the author of confusion. He is not the author of division. He is not the author of discord. He is the author of peace. He is the author of unity. He is the author of reconciliation. He says, "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God" (Matthew 5:9). He says, "If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men" (Romans 12:18). He says, "Pursue peace with all people, and holiness, without which no one will see the Lord" (Hebrews 12:14). God wants you to be a peacemaker. He wants you to pursue peace. He wants you to protect your relationships.
God sees your anger as a danger. He knows that anger is a normal human emotion. He knows that you will get angry. But He also knows that unresolved anger is a door for the enemy. He knows that anger that is nursed and held onto becomes bitterness. It becomes resentment. It becomes a root of destruction. He does not want you to let the sun go down on your wrath. He wants you to deal with it quickly. He wants you to resolve it. He wants you to release it. He wants you to forgive.
God's perspective is that the enemy is your true enemy. He does not want you to fight against your spouse. He does not want you to fight against your children. He does not want you to fight against your brothers and sisters in Christ. He wants you to fight against the real enemy. He wants you to fight against the devil. He wants you to resist him. He wants you to stand firm against him. He wants you to close the door. He wants you to give him no place.
God sees your relationships as a reflection of your relationship with Him. Jesus said, "By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another" (John 13:35). Your relationships are a testimony. They are a witness. They are a sermon without words. When you love one another, when you forgive one another, when you protect one another, you are showing the world what God is like. You are showing the world that you are His disciples. You are showing the world that He is love.
God's perspective is that He will restore what is broken. He is the God of restoration. He is the God of reconciliation. He is the God of healing. He can restore broken marriages. He can restore fractured friendships. He can restore divided churches. He can restore broken relationships. He says, "I will restore the years that the locusts have eaten" (Joel 2:25). He says, "I will heal their backsliding, I will love them freely" (Hosea 14:4). He says, "I am the Lord who heals you" (Exodus 15:26). God can restore what is broken. Trust Him. He will restore it.
Practical Application
Deal with Anger Quickly: Do not let the sun go down on your wrath. Do not go to bed angry. Deal with your anger quickly. Resolve it. Release it. Forgive. If you have been offended, go to the person who offended you. If you have offended someone, go to them and apologize. Do not let the sun go down on your wrath.
Forgive Freely: Forgiveness is not optional. It is a command. Forgive those who have hurt you. Release them to God. Do not hold onto offenses. Do not keep a record of wrongs. Forgive as you have been forgiven. Forgive freely.
Seek Reconciliation: Do not wait for the other person to come to you. Take the initiative. Go to them. Seek reconciliation. Pursue peace. Make the first move. Be the peacemaker. Be the reconciler. Be the one who restores.
Guard Your Words: Your words have power. They can build up or tear down. They can heal or wound. They can unite or divide. Guard your words. Speak the truth in love. Speak with grace. Speak with kindness. Speak with compassion. Let your words be a bridge, not a wall.
Pray for Your Relationships: Pray for your spouse. Pray for your children. Pray for your parents. Pray for your friends. Pray for your brothers and sisters in Christ. Pray that God would protect your relationships. Pray that God would strengthen your bonds. Pray that God would heal any brokenness. Pray for your relationships.
Invest in Your Relationships: Do not take your relationships for granted. Invest in them. Spend time with the people you love. Listen to them. Encourage them. Support them. Serve them. Love them. Invest in your relationships.
Put on the Whole Armor of God: You are in a spiritual battle. The enemy is seeking to destroy your relationships. You must put on the whole armor of God. You must stand firm. You must resist the devil. You must give him no place. You must protect your relationships.
Ask Yourself
Am I letting anger fester in my heart?
Am I going to bed angry?
Am I giving place to the devil?
Am I allowing divisions to form in my relationships?
Am I seeking reconciliation?
Am I forgiving freely?
Am I protecting my relationships?
Am I investing in my relationships?
Reflection
Protect your relationships. This is the truth. This is the call. This is the invitation. Your relationships are a precious gift from God. They are meant to be cherished, nurtured, and protected. But they are under attack. The enemy knows that if he can destroy your relationships, he can destroy your joy, your peace, your witness, and your effectiveness for the Kingdom. He knows that if he can divide you from those God has placed in your life, he can isolate you, discourage you, and defeat you. And so he works tirelessly to sow discord, to stir up offense, to create division, and to destroy the bonds that God has established.
Be angry, and do not sin: do not let the sun go down on your wrath, nor give place to the devil. This is the truth. This is the warning. This is the invitation. You will get angry. That is not a sin. But do not let your anger lead you into sin. Do not let the sun go down on your wrath. Do not go to bed angry. Do not let your anger fester overnight. Deal with it. Resolve it. Release it. Forgive. Because if you do not, you will give place to the devil. You will give him a foothold. You will open a door. You will give him an opportunity to destroy your relationships.
Now I plead with you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment. This is the truth. This is the plea. This is the invitation. I plead with you. I beg you. I urge you. By the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. Speak the same thing. Have no divisions among you. Be perfectly joined together. Be of the same mind. Be of the same judgment. Protect your relationships. Guard your unity. Be one.
So protect your relationships. Deal with anger quickly. Forgive freely. Seek reconciliation. Guard your words. Pray for your relationships. Invest in your relationships. Put on the whole armor of God. And you will discover that when you protect your relationships, when you guard your unity, when you pursue peace, when you forgive, when you love, you will experience the blessing of God. You will experience the joy of healthy relationships. You will experience the peace of reconciliation. You will experience the love of God flowing through you. Protect your relationships. They are a gift from God.
Prayer
Father, I thank You for the gift of relationships. I thank You for my spouse. I thank You for my children. I thank You for my parents. I thank You for my friends. I thank You for my brothers and sisters in Christ. These relationships are precious gifts from Your hand. Forgive me for the times I have neglected them. Forgive me for the times I have let anger fester. Forgive me for the times I have gone to bed angry. Forgive me for the times I have given place to the devil. Forgive me for the times I have allowed divisions to form. Forgive me for the times I have not sought reconciliation. Forgive me for the times I have not forgiven. Today, I choose to protect my relationships. I choose to deal with anger quickly. I choose to forgive freely. I choose to seek reconciliation. I choose to guard my words. I choose to pray for my relationships. I choose to invest in my relationships. I choose to put on the whole armor of God. Help me to protect my relationships. Help me to guard my unity. Help me to pursue peace. Help me to forgive. Help me to love. I give You no place, devil. I resist you. I stand firm against you. I protect my relationships. In Jesus' mighty name, Amen.
Declaration
I declare that I will protect my relationships. I will not let anger fester. I will not let the sun go down on my wrath. I will not give place to the devil. I will not allow divisions to form. I will seek reconciliation. I will forgive freely. I will guard my words. I will pray for my relationships. I will invest in my relationships. I will put on the whole armor of God. I will stand firm against the enemy. I will resist the devil. I will give him no place. I will protect my marriage. I will protect my family. I will protect my friendships. I will protect my brothers and sisters in Christ. I will be perfectly joined together with them in the same mind and in the same judgment. I will be of the same mind. I will be of the same judgment. I will speak the same thing. I will have no divisions among us. I will be mended. I will be restored. I will be complete. I will protect my relationships. I will protect my relationships. I will protect my relationships.
Concluding Scripture
📖 Ephesians 4:26–27 (NKJV)
"Be angry, and do not sin: do not let the sun go down on your wrath, nor give place to the devil."
A Final Word
Protect your relationships. This is the truth. This is the call. This is the invitation. Your relationships are a precious gift from God. They are meant to be cherished, nurtured, and protected. But they are under attack. The enemy knows that if he can destroy your relationships, he can destroy your joy, your peace, your witness, and your effectiveness for the Kingdom. He knows that if he can divide you from those God has placed in your life, he can isolate you, discourage you, and defeat you. And so he works tirelessly to sow discord, to stir up offense, to create division, and to destroy the bonds that God has established.
Be angry, and do not sin: do not let the sun go down on your wrath, nor give place to the devil. This is the truth. This is the warning. This is the invitation. You will get angry. That is not a sin. But do not let your anger lead you into sin. Do not let the sun go down on your wrath. Do not go to bed angry. Do not let your anger fester overnight. Deal with it. Resolve it. Release it. Forgive. Because if you do not, you will give place to the devil. You will give him a foothold. You will open a door. You will give him an opportunity to destroy your relationships.
Now I plead with you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment. This is the truth. This is the plea. This is the invitation. I plead with you. I beg you. I urge you. By the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. Speak the same thing. Have no divisions among you. Be perfectly joined together. Be of the same mind. Be of the same judgment. Protect your relationships. Guard your unity. Be one.
So protect your relationships. Deal with anger quickly. Forgive freely. Seek reconciliation. Guard your words. Pray for your relationships. Invest in your relationships. Put on the whole armor of God. And you will discover that when you protect your relationships, when you guard your unity, when you pursue peace, when you forgive, when you love, you will experience the blessing of God. You will experience the joy of healthy relationships. You will experience the peace of reconciliation. You will experience the love of God flowing through you. Protect your relationships. They are a gift from God.

Comments
Post a Comment