WHO IS REALLY IN CONTROL OF YOUR LIFE?
THE THRONE OF YOUR HEART
Key Scripture
📖 Proverbs 3:5–6 (NKJV)
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths."
📖 Psalm 37:5 (NKJV)
"Commit your way to the Lord, trust also in Him, and He shall bring it to pass."
Introduction
There is a throne in your life. It is not made of gold or ivory. It is not located in a palace or a capitol building. It is the throne of your heart. And whoever sits on that throne is really in control of your life. It may be God. It may be you. It may be your fears. It may be your finances. It may be your reputation. It may be another person. But someone is on the throne. Someone is calling the shots. Someone is determining your decisions, your direction, and your destiny. The question is: who?
We live in a world that celebrates self-control, self-determination, and self-sufficiency. We are told to take charge, to be the master of our fate, to be the captain of our soul. We are told that if we just work hard enough, plan well enough, and strategize effectively enough, we can determine the outcome of our lives. We are told that we are in control. And so we sit on the throne of our own hearts, making our own plans, charting our own course, and determining our own destiny. But this is a dangerous place to sit. Because we are not God. We do not see the end from the beginning. We do not know what lies around the corner. We do not have the wisdom, the power, or the sovereignty to control everything.
The book of Proverbs declares, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths." The Hebrew word for "trust" is batach, which means to cling to, to be confident in, or to feel secure. It implies a total reliance on someone who is completely trustworthy. The word for "heart" is leb, which refers to the inner person—the mind, the will, and the emotions. The word for "lean" is sha'an, which means to support oneself on, to rely upon, or to rest upon. The word for "understanding" is binah, which means insight, discernment, or comprehension. The word for "acknowledge" is yada, which means to know intimately, to recognize, or to be aware of. The word for "direct" is yashar, which means to make straight, to level, or to guide.
Solomon is saying, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart. Do not lean on your own understanding. Do not rely on your own insight. Do not rest on your own comprehension. In all your ways acknowledge Him. Bring Him into every decision, every thought, and every step. And He shall direct your paths. He shall make your paths straight. He shall guide you. He shall lead you."
The psalmist David echoed this truth in Psalm 37:5: "Commit your way to the Lord, trust also in Him, and He shall bring it to pass." The Hebrew word for "commit" is galal, which means to roll, to roll away, to roll upon, or to commit. It is the picture of rolling a heavy burden off your shoulders and onto someone else. It is the act of transferring your weight, your worry, and your responsibility to the Lord. The word for "way" is derek, which means path, journey, or manner of life. The word for "trust" is batach, the same word used in Proverbs 3:5. The word for "bring it to pass" is asah, which means to do, to accomplish, to bring about, or to perform.
David is saying, "Roll your path onto the Lord. Give Him your journey. Give Him your direction. Give Him your plans. Give Him your purposes. Give Him your future. Trust in Him. And He shall bring it to pass. He shall accomplish it. He shall perform it. He shall make it happen."
This teaching is for everyone who has been sitting on the throne of their own heart. It is for the one who has been trying to control everything. It is for the one who has been leaning on their own understanding. It is for the one who has been anxious about the future. It is for the one who needs to answer the question: who is really in control of your life? It is time to dethrone yourself. It is time to enthrone God. It is time to trust Him with all your heart.
Biblical Truth
Proverbs 3:5–6 and Psalm 37:5 together provide a powerful biblical framework for understanding who is really in control of your life. They reveal that we are to trust in the Lord with all our hearts, lean not on our own understanding, acknowledge Him in all our ways, and commit our way to Him, and that He will direct our paths and bring His purposes to pass.
Proverbs 3:5–6 is one of the most beloved passages in all of Scripture. It is a prescription for peace in the midst of uncertainty. It is a call to trust in the Lord with all your heart and to lean not on your own understanding.
The Hebrew word for "trust" is batach, which means to cling to, to be confident in, or to feel secure. It implies a total reliance on someone who is completely trustworthy. It is the same word used in Psalm 20:7: "Some trust in chariots, and some in horses; but we will remember the name of the Lord our God." Trust is not a passive feeling; it is an active choice to place your confidence in God rather than in your own resources, understanding, or strength.
The command is to trust with "all your heart." The heart, in Hebrew thought, is not just the seat of emotion but the centre of the whole person—mind, will, and emotions. Trusting with all your heart means holding nothing back. It means surrendering every fear, every doubt, every question, and every anxiety to God. It is a wholehearted reliance that leaves no room for self-sufficiency.
The phrase "lean not on your own understanding" is the negative counterpart to trust. The Hebrew word for "lean" is sha'an, which means to support oneself on, to rely upon, or to rest upon. The word for "understanding" is binah, which means insight, discernment, or comprehension. When we are facing uncertainty, we naturally lean on our own understanding. We analyse, we rationalize, we try to figure out the "why" and the "how." But Solomon warns that this is a dangerous posture. Human understanding is limited, fallen, and easily deceived. Our understanding, especially in moments of uncertainty, is not a reliable foundation.
The positive action is to "acknowledge" God in all your ways. The Hebrew word is yada, which means to know intimately, to recognize, or to be aware of. Acknowledging God means bringing Him into every decision, every thought, and every step. It means saying, "Lord, I do not know what to do, but I know You. I do not understand this situation, but I understand that You are sovereign. I cannot see the path ahead, but I see You."
The promise is that God "shall direct your paths." The Hebrew word for "direct" is yashar, which means to make straight, to level, or to guide. When we trust, refuse to lean on our own understanding, and acknowledge Him, God takes the responsibility for our direction. He straightens the crooked paths. He opens doors that no man can shut and shuts doors that no man can open. He makes a way where there seems to be no way. This is not a promise of a trouble-free life; it is a promise of divine guidance through the trouble.
Psalm 37:5 expands on this truth. David writes, "Commit your way to the Lord, trust also in Him, and He shall bring it to pass."
The Hebrew word for "commit" is galal, which means to roll, to roll away, to roll upon, or to commit. It is the picture of rolling a heavy burden off your shoulders and onto someone else. It is the act of transferring your weight, your worry, and your responsibility to the Lord. It is the same word used in Joshua 5:9, where God says, "This day I have rolled away the reproach of Egypt from you." It is the same word used in Psalm 22:8, where the enemies of David say, "He trusted in the Lord, let Him rescue Him; let Him deliver Him, since He delights in Him!" The idea is that of complete transfer. You roll your burden onto the Lord. You give it to Him. You release it to Him.
The word for "way" is derek, which means path, journey, or manner of life. It refers to your course, your direction, your plans, your purposes, and your future. David is saying, "Roll your path onto the Lord. Give Him your journey. Give Him your direction. Give Him your plans. Give Him your purposes. Give Him your future."
The word for "trust" is batach, the same word used in Proverbs 3:5. It means to cling to, to be confident in, or to feel secure. It implies a total reliance on someone who is completely trustworthy.
The promise is that God "shall bring it to pass." The Hebrew word for "bring it to pass" is asah, which means to do, to accomplish, to bring about, or to perform. It is the same word used in Genesis 1:7, where God made the firmament. It is the same word used in Genesis 1:16, where God made the sun and the moon. It is the same word used in Genesis 1:25, where God made the beasts of the earth. God is a God who does things. He is a God who accomplishes things. He is a God who brings things to pass. When you commit your way to Him, He will bring it to pass. He will accomplish it. He will perform it. He will make it happen.
The principle of divine control is woven throughout Scripture. God is the Creator of the universe. He spoke the world into existence. He sustains all things by the word of His power. He holds the times and seasons in His hands. He sets up kings and deposes them. He determines the boundaries of nations. He knows the end from the beginning. He works all things according to the counsel of His will. He is sovereign. He is in control. And He invites us to trust Him, to submit to Him, and to surrender control to Him.
The example of Jesus is our ultimate model. Jesus trusted the Father completely. He did not lean on His own understanding. He acknowledged the Father in all His ways. He committed His way to the Lord. He said, "My food is to do the will of Him who sent Me, and to finish His work" (John 4:34). He said, "I do nothing of Myself; but as My Father taught Me, I speak these things" (John 8:28). He said, "I can of Myself do nothing. As I hear, I judge; and My judgment is righteous, because I do not seek My own will but the will of the Father who sent Me" (John 5:30). He said, "Not My will, but Yours, be done" (Luke 22:42). Jesus did not sit on the throne of His own life. He submitted to the Father's control. He trusted the Father's plan. He surrendered to the Father's will. And because He did, He fulfilled the purpose of God. And He calls us to do the same.
What We Often Get Wrong
The first and most common error is that we sit on the throne of our own hearts. We want to be in control. We want to call the shots. We want to determine our own destiny. We make our own plans. We chart our own course. We set our own goals. We do not seek God's guidance. We do not ask for His direction. We do not consult His Word. We just do what seems right to us. But this is a dangerous place to sit. We are not God. We do not see the end from the beginning. We do not know what lies around the corner. We do not have the wisdom, the power, or the sovereignty to control everything.
Second, we lean on our own understanding. We rely on our own wisdom, our own analysis, our own reasoning. We make decisions based on what we can see, what we can calculate, and what we can control. But our understanding is limited. Our perspective is finite. Our vision is blurry. We cannot see the whole picture. Only God can. When we lean on our own understanding, we cut ourselves off from His wisdom. We stumble in the dark when we could be walking in the light.
Third, we worry about the future. We are anxious about what will happen. We are stressed about what might occur. We are consumed with worst-case scenarios. We lose sleep over things that have not happened. We borrow trouble from tomorrow. But worry is the fruit of trying to control what we cannot control. It is the result of trying to sit on a throne that belongs to God. When we surrender control to God, anxiety loses its grip. When we trust Him, peace fills our hearts.
Fourth, we believe that we can handle everything on our own. We think that we are strong enough, smart enough, and resourceful enough to figure everything out. We think that we do not need God. We think that we do not need anyone. We think that we can manage on our own. But we cannot. We are not sufficient in ourselves. We need God. We need His wisdom. We need His strength. We need His guidance. We need His provision. We need His protection. We need Him.
Fifth, we make plans without consulting God. We map out our futures, set our goals, chart our courses, and make our decisions—all without seeking His guidance. We treat God as a spectator rather than the Sovereign. We treat Him as an advisor rather than the Lord. We treat Him as optional rather than essential. We must seek God's guidance. We must ask for His direction. We must wait for His leading.
Sixth, we believe that God is not trustworthy. We think that He might let us down. We think that He might fail us. We think that He might not come through. We think that He might not keep His promises. But God is trustworthy. He is faithful. He is reliable. He is dependable. He has never failed. He has never broken a promise. He has never let His children down. He is worthy of our trust. He is worthy of our confidence.
Seventh, we forget that God's plans are better than ours. We think that our plans are the best plans. We think that we know what is best for our lives. But God's plans are higher than our plans. His ways are higher than our ways. His thoughts are higher than our thoughts. He sees the end from the beginning. He knows what is best. And His plans are always better than ours.
God's Perspective
God views Himself as the rightful occupant of the throne of your heart. He is the Creator. You are the creature. He is the Potter. You are the clay. He is the Shepherd. You are the sheep. He is the Master. You are the servant. He is the King. You are the subject. He deserves to be on the throne. He deserves to be in control. He deserves to call the shots. He deserves to determine your destiny. He is God. You are not. Let Him be God.
God's perspective is that He is trustworthy. He is not like man that He should lie. He is not like the sons of men that He should change His mind (Numbers 23:19). He is faithful. He is reliable. He is dependable. He has never failed. He has never broken a promise. He has never let His children down. He is worthy of your trust. He is worthy of your confidence. He is worthy of your reliance.
God sees your tendency to control as a form of pride. It is saying, "I know better than God. I can figure this out on my own. I do not need His help." But this is the original sin—the desire to be like God, to be independent, to be self-sufficient. God wants you to humble yourself. He wants you to acknowledge your need for Him. He wants you to trust Him with all your heart. He wants you to let Him be God.
God's perspective is that He wants to direct your paths. He does not want you to wander aimlessly. He does not want you to stumble in the dark. He does not want you to be lost. He wants to guide you. He wants to lead you. He wants to show you the way. He wants to make your path straight. He wants to direct your steps. He wants to lead you to the destination He has prepared for you. He is ready to direct your paths. You just need to trust Him.
God sees your future as already planned and prepared. He knows the end from the beginning. He has already mapped out the journey. He has already prepared the way. He has already secured the victory. He is already there, ahead of you, preparing the way. You do not have to control the future. You do not have to predict the future. You do not have to determine the future. God has already done it. Trust Him. He will bring it to pass.
God's perspective is that He will bring it to pass. When you commit your way to Him, He will bring it to pass. He will accomplish it. He will perform it. He will make it happen. He will not fail. He will not falter. He will not abandon the work He has started. He will complete it. He will bring it to pass. He will bring it to pass. He will bring it to pass.
Practical Application
Dethrone Yourself: Acknowledge that you are not God. Acknowledge that you do not have all the answers. Acknowledge that you cannot control everything. Step down from the throne of your own heart. Say, "Lord, I have been sitting on the throne of my own life. I have been trying to control everything. I have been leaning on my own understanding. Forgive me. Today, I step down. I give the throne to You. You are God. I am not. You are in control. I am not."
Enthrone God: Make God the rightful occupant of the throne of your heart. Say, "Lord, I enthrone You. I acknowledge You as the Sovereign of my life. I submit to Your authority. I surrender to Your will. I trust Your wisdom. I rely on Your strength. I depend on Your provision. You are my God. You are my King. You are my Lord. I will follow You."
Trust Him with All Your Heart: Trust is a choice. It is not a feeling. It is a decision. Make the decision to trust God with all your heart. Say, "I trust You, Lord. I trust Your wisdom. I trust Your timing. I trust Your plan. I trust Your love. I trust Your faithfulness. I trust You with everything." Trust Him. He is worthy of your trust.
Lean Not on Your Own Understanding: Stop relying on your own wisdom, your own analysis, your own reasoning. Stop trying to figure everything out. Stop demanding answers. Release your need to understand. Say, "Lord, I do not understand, but I trust You. I do not know what to do, but I know You. I cannot see the path ahead, but I see You." Lean on Him, not on your own understanding.
Acknowledge Him in All Your Ways: Bring God into every decision, every thought, and every step. Acknowledge Him in all your ways. Say, "Lord, I acknowledge You in this situation. I acknowledge You in this decision. I acknowledge You in this trial. I trust You to direct my paths." Do not make decisions without Him. Do not take steps without Him. Acknowledge Him in everything.
Commit Your Way to the Lord: Roll your path onto the Lord. Give Him your journey. Give Him your direction. Give Him your plans. Give Him your purposes. Give Him your future. Say, "Lord, I commit my way to You. I roll my path onto You. I give You my plans, my dreams, my goals, and my desires. I trust You to direct my steps. I trust You to bring Your purposes to pass." Commit your way to Him.
Rest in His Sovereignty: Because God is in control, you can rest. You do not have to make things happen. You do not have to force outcomes. You do not have to manipulate circumstances. You can trust that God is working all things together for good. Rest in His sovereignty. Rest in His wisdom. Rest in His love. He has you in His hands. He holds your future. You can rest.
Ask Yourself
Who is really in control of my life?
Am I sitting on the throne of my own heart?
Am I trusting God with all my heart?
Am I leaning on my own understanding?
Am I acknowledging God in all my ways?
Have I committed my way to the Lord?
Am I resting in His sovereignty?
Do I believe that He will bring it to pass?
Reflection
Who is really in control of your life? This is the question. This is the truth. This is the invitation. There is a throne in your life. It is the throne of your heart. And whoever sits on that throne is really in control of your life. It may be God. It may be you. It may be your fears. It may be your finances. It may be your reputation. It may be another person. But someone is on the throne. Someone is calling the shots. Someone is determining your decisions, your direction, and your destiny. The question is: who?
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths. This is the truth. This is the promise. This is the invitation. Trust in the Lord with all your heart. Do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him. And He shall direct your paths. He shall make your paths straight. He shall guide you. He shall lead you.
Commit your way to the Lord, trust also in Him, and He shall bring it to pass. This is the truth. This is the promise. This is the invitation. Commit your way to the Lord. Roll your path onto Him. Give Him your journey. Give Him your direction. Give Him your plans. Give Him your purposes. Give Him your future. Trust in Him. And He shall bring it to pass. He shall accomplish it. He shall perform it. He shall make it happen.
So who is really in control of your life? If it is you, dethrone yourself. If it is your fears, dethrone them. If it is your finances, dethrone them. If it is your reputation, dethrone it. If it is another person, dethrone them. Enthrone God. Give Him the throne. Give Him the control. Give Him the sovereignty. Trust Him with all your heart. Lean not on your own understanding. Acknowledge Him in all your ways. Commit your way to Him. And He will direct your paths. He will bring it to pass. He is in control. Let Him be in control. He is God. You are not. Let Him be God.
Prayer
Father, I confess that I have been sitting on the throne of my own heart. I have been trying to control everything. I have been leaning on my own understanding. I have been anxious about the future. I have been trying to handle everything on my own. Forgive me. Today, I step down from the throne. I give the throne to You. You are God. I am not. You are in control. I am not. I trust You with all my heart. I lean not on my own understanding. In all my ways I acknowledge You. I commit my way to You. I roll my path onto You. I give You my plans, my dreams, my goals, and my desires. I trust You to direct my steps. I trust You to bring Your purposes to pass. I rest in Your sovereignty. I rest in Your wisdom. I rest in Your love. You are in control. And I am so grateful that You are. In Jesus' mighty name, Amen.
Declaration
I declare that God is in control of my life. I have dethroned myself. I have enthroned God. He is the rightful occupant of the throne of my heart. I trust in the Lord with all my heart. I lean not on my own understanding. In all my ways I acknowledge Him. And He shall direct my paths. He shall make my paths straight. He shall guide me. He shall lead me. I commit my way to the Lord. I roll my path onto Him. I give Him my journey. I give Him my direction. I give Him my plans. I give Him my purposes. I give Him my future. I trust in Him. And He shall bring it to pass. He shall accomplish it. He shall perform it. He shall make it happen. God is in control. God is in control. God is in control. And I rest in His sovereignty. I rest in His wisdom. I rest in His love. He has me in His hands. He holds my future. I am at peace. God is in control.
Concluding Scripture
📖 Proverbs 3:5–6 (NKJV)
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths."
A Final Word
Who is really in control of your life? This is the question. This is the truth. This is the invitation. There is a throne in your life. It is the throne of your heart. And whoever sits on that throne is really in control of your life. It may be God. It may be you. It may be your fears. It may be your finances. It may be your reputation. It may be another person. But someone is on the throne. Someone is calling the shots. Someone is determining your decisions, your direction, and your destiny. The question is: who?
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths. This is the truth. This is the promise. This is the invitation. Trust in the Lord with all your heart. Do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him. And He shall direct your paths. He shall make your paths straight. He shall guide you. He shall lead you.
Commit your way to the Lord, trust also in Him, and He shall bring it to pass. This is the truth. This is the promise. This is the invitation. Commit your way to the Lord. Roll your path onto Him. Give Him your journey. Give Him your direction. Give Him your plans. Give Him your purposes. Give Him your future. Trust in Him. And He shall bring it to pass. He shall accomplish it. He shall perform it. He shall make it happen.
So who is really in control of your life? If it is you, dethrone yourself. If it is your fears, dethrone them. If it is your finances, dethrone them. If it is your reputation, dethrone it. If it is another person, dethrone them. Enthrone God. Give Him the throne. Give Him the control. Give Him the sovereignty. Trust Him with all your heart. Lean not on your own understanding. Acknowledge Him in all your ways. Commit your way to Him. And He will direct your paths. He will bring it to pass. He is in control. Let Him be in control. He is God. You are not. Let Him be God.

Comments
Post a Comment