STAND FIRM WHEN IT COSTS YOU
THE COURAGE OF CONVICTION
Key Scripture
📖 Daniel 1:8 (NKJV)
"But Daniel purposed in his heart that he would not defile himself with the portion of the king's delicacies, nor with the wine which he drank; therefore he requested of the chief of the eunuchs that he might not defile himself."
📖 1 Corinthians 15:58 (NKJV)
"Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your labor is not in vain in the Lord."
Introduction
There is a moment that every believer will face—a moment when standing for truth will cost you something. It may cost you a promotion. It may cost you a friendship. It may cost you your reputation. It may cost you your comfort. It may cost you your freedom. It may even cost you your life. It is the moment when you are faced with a choice: will you compromise your convictions to avoid the cost, or will you stand firm and pay the price? It is the moment when your faith is tested. It is the moment when your character is revealed. It is the moment when you discover what you truly believe.
Daniel faced this moment. He was a young man, probably in his teens, when he was taken captive from Jerusalem to Babylon. He was ripped from his home, his family, and his faith. He was brought into the palace of King Nebuchadnezzar to be trained in the language and literature of the Babylonians. He was given a new name, a new identity, and a new culture. He was offered the king's delicacies and the king's wine—the best food and drink in the empire. It was a life of privilege and comfort. It was an opportunity to advance, to succeed, to prosper. All he had to do was compromise. All he had to do was eat the food that had been sacrificed to idols. All he had to do was go along with the culture. But Daniel refused.
The Scripture says, "But Daniel purposed in his heart that he would not defile himself with the portion of the king's delicacies, nor with the wine which he drank." The Hebrew word for "purposed" is sum, which means to set, to place, to establish, or to determine. It is a decisive, deliberate act of the will. Daniel made a choice. He set his heart. He determined in his inner being that he would not compromise. He would not defile himself. He would not disobey God. Even if it cost him his position. Even if it cost him his comfort. Even if it cost him his life.
The Apostle Paul echoed this same resolve in 1 Corinthians 15:58: "Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your labor is not in vain in the Lord." The Greek word for "steadfast" is hedraios, which means firm, stable, settled, or seated. The word for "immovable" is ametakinētos, which means unmovable, unshakable, or not to be moved. Paul is calling us to be so rooted, so grounded, so established in our faith that nothing can move us. Not persecution. Not opposition. Not temptation. Not the cost.
This teaching is for everyone who is facing a moment when standing for truth will cost them something. It is for the one who is tempted to compromise to avoid the cost. It is for the one who is afraid of what will happen if they stand firm. It is for the one who needs the courage to remain faithful. It is for the one who needs to understand that standing firm is always worth it, no matter the cost. It is time to purpose in your heart. It is time to be steadfast and immovable. It is time to stand firm when it costs you.
Biblical Truth
Daniel 1:8 and 1 Corinthians 15:58 together provide a powerful biblical framework for understanding the importance of standing firm in the face of opposition. They reveal that we must purpose in our hearts not to compromise, and that we must be steadfast and immovable, knowing that our labor is not in vain.
Daniel 1:8 is a powerful example of personal conviction. The context is critical. Daniel was a young man from the tribe of Judah, probably around the age of fifteen or sixteen, when he was taken captive to Babylon in 605 BC. He was one of the brightest, most talented, and most promising young men of his generation. He was brought into the palace of King Nebuchadnezzar to be trained in the language and customs of the Babylonians. He was given a new name—Belteshazzar—which was a Babylonian name that honored the god Bel. He was offered the king's delicacies and the king's wine, which were the finest foods and drinks in the empire.
But the king's delicacies were not just food. They were likely offered to idols before being served. They may have included unclean foods that were forbidden by the Mosaic law. And the wine may have been used in pagan rituals. To eat and drink these things would have been a compromise of Daniel's faith. It would have been a violation of his conscience. It would have been a form of idolatry.
So Daniel made a decision. The Scripture says, "But Daniel purposed in his heart that he would not defile himself." The Hebrew word for "purposed" is sum, which means to set, to place, to establish, or to determine. It is a decisive, deliberate act of the will. Daniel set his heart. He determined in his inner being that he would not compromise. He would not defile himself. He would not disobey God.
Notice the cost. Daniel was risking everything. He was risking the favor of the king. He was risking his position. He was risking his future. He was risking his life. In Babylon, the king's word was law. To disobey the king was to court death. But Daniel purposed in his heart. He had settled the matter before the confrontation came. He had already decided what he would do. He had already determined where he would draw the line. He had already made the commitment that he would not compromise, no matter the cost.
The result was that God honored Daniel. God gave him favor in the sight of the chief of the eunuchs. God allowed him to eat vegetables and drink water instead of the king's delicacies. And at the end of ten days, Daniel and his friends appeared healthier and better than all the young men who ate the king's food. God gave Daniel knowledge, understanding, and wisdom. He gave him favor with the king. He prospered him and promoted him. Daniel's stand for truth cost him something in the short term, but it gained him everything in the long term.
1 Corinthians 15:58 is Paul's concluding exhortation to the Corinthian church. He writes, "Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your labor is not in vain in the Lord."
The Greek word for "steadfast" is hedraios, which means firm, stable, settled, or seated. It is the picture of a solid foundation that cannot be shaken. The word for "immovable" is ametakinētos, which means unmovable, unshakable, or not to be moved. It is the picture of a pillar that cannot be toppled. Paul is calling us to be so rooted, so grounded, so established in our faith that nothing can move us. Not persecution. Not opposition. Not temptation. Not the cost.
The Greek word for "abounding" is perisseuō, which means to overflow, to excel, to be abundant, or to be excessive. The word for "work" is ergon, which means work, deed, or labor. The word for "Lord" is kyrios, which means Lord, Master, or Owner. Paul is calling us to be always overflowing in the work of the Lord. Not just doing enough. Not just getting by. But abounding. Excelling. Overflowing. We are to be so committed, so dedicated, so passionate about the work of the Lord that we overflow with it.
The Greek word for "knowing" is oida, which means to know, to perceive, or to understand. The word for "labor" is kopos, which means labor, toil, or effort. The word for "vain" is kenos, which means empty, void, or without purpose. The word for "in the Lord" is en kyriō, which means in the Lord, in Christ, or in His power. Paul is saying that our labor is not empty. It is not void. It is not without purpose. When we labor in the Lord, our work has eternal significance. It has eternal reward. It is not in vain.
The principle of standing firm when it costs you is woven throughout Scripture. Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego stood firm when they refused to bow to the golden image, even when they were threatened with the fiery furnace. They said, "Our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and He will deliver us from your hand, O king. But if not, let it be known to you, O king, that we do not serve your gods, nor will we worship the gold image which you have set up" (Daniel 3:17-18). They stood firm even if it cost them their lives.
Daniel stood firm when he refused to stop praying to his God, even when the king's decree was issued that anyone who prayed to any god but the king would be thrown into the lions' den. He opened his windows toward Jerusalem, got down on his knees three times a day, and prayed and gave thanks before his God, as was his custom (Daniel 6:10). He stood firm even if it cost him his life.
Esther stood firm when she risked her life to approach the king and plead for her people. She said, "If I perish, I perish" (Esther 4:16). She stood firm even if it cost her her life.
Jesus stood firm when He faced the cross. He could have called down legions of angels. He could have avoided the suffering. He could have refused the cup. But He stood firm. He said, "Not My will, but Yours, be done" (Luke 22:42). He stood firm even though it cost Him His life.
The example of Jesus is our ultimate model. Jesus stood firm when it cost Him everything. He stood firm when He was mocked, when He was beaten, when He was tortured, when He was crucified. He stood firm when His disciples fled, when Peter denied Him, when Judas betrayed Him. He stood firm because He was steadfast and immovable. He stood firm because He knew that His labor was not in vain. And because He stood firm, He secured our salvation. Because He stood firm, we can stand firm.
What We Often Get Wrong
The first and most common error is that we compromise to avoid the cost. We are afraid of what will happen if we stand firm. We are afraid of losing our position. We are afraid of losing our friends. We are afraid of losing our reputation. We are afraid of losing our comfort. So we compromise. We go along with the crowd. We keep our mouths shut. We stay silent. We avoid the conflict. We choose the path of least resistance. But compromise always costs more in the end. It costs us our integrity. It costs us our peace. It costs us our reward.
Second, we believe that standing firm is not worth the cost. We think that the price is too high. We think that the sacrifice is too great. We think that the pain is too much. But this is a lie from the enemy. Standing firm is always worth it. The cost is temporary. The reward is eternal. Jesus said, "And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or wife or children or lands, for My name's sake, shall receive a hundredfold, and inherit eternal life" (Matthew 19:29). There is no sacrifice too great for the Kingdom of God.
Third, we purposelessly react rather than purposefully decide. Daniel purposed in his heart. He had already made the decision before the test came. We often wait until the moment of temptation to decide what we will do. We react rather than respond. We make decisions in the heat of the moment. But we must purpose in our hearts ahead of time. We must decide before the test comes. We must settle the matter in our inner being before the confrontation arrives.
Fourth, we think that we are alone in our stand. We feel isolated. We feel abandoned. We feel like we are the only ones who are standing for truth. But we are not alone. God is with us. He will never leave us nor forsake us. And there are others who are standing firm too. Elijah thought he was the only one left, but God told him that He had reserved seven thousand who had not bowed the knee to Baal (1 Kings 19:18). We are not alone.
Fifth, we focus on the cost instead of the reward. We focus on what we are giving up. We focus on what we are losing. We focus on what we are suffering. But we should focus on the reward. We should focus on what we are gaining. We should focus on the eternal glory that awaits us. Paul wrote, "For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory" (2 Corinthians 4:17). The cost is temporary. The reward is eternal.
Sixth, we forget that God is faithful. We forget that God will provide for us. We forget that God will protect us. We forget that God will honor us. We forget that God will reward us. Daniel purposed in his heart, and God gave him favor. Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego stood firm, and God delivered them. Daniel stood firm in his prayer, and God shut the mouths of the lions. God is faithful. He honors those who honor Him (1 Samuel 2:30).
Seventh, we believe that our labor is in vain. We think that our stand will not make a difference. We think that our faithfulness will not be rewarded. We think that our sacrifice will be forgotten. But Paul says, "Knowing that your labor is not in vain in the Lord." Your labor is not empty. Your sacrifice is not forgotten. Your stand is not meaningless. God sees. God knows. God remembers. And God will reward. His reward is with Him (Revelation 22:12).
God's Perspective
God views your stand for truth as an act of worship. When you stand firm, you are declaring that God is more important than anything else. You are declaring that His truth is worth more than your comfort. You are declaring that His approval matters more than the approval of people. You are declaring that His Kingdom is worth more than the world. Your stand is an act of worship. It is a sacrifice of praise. It is a declaration of your love for God.
God's perspective is that He is with you in the fire. When you stand firm, you are not alone. God is with you. He is with you in the fire. He is with you in the lion's den. He is with you in the prison. He is with you in the storm. He is with you in the trial. He will never leave you nor forsake you. He will strengthen you. He will help you. He will uphold you with His righteous right hand (Isaiah 41:10).
God sees your stand as a test of your faith. He allows trials and tests to come into your life to refine your faith, to prove its genuineness, and to strengthen it. Peter wrote, "That the genuineness of your faith, being much more precious than gold that perishes, though it is tested by fire, may be found to praise, honor, and glory at the revelation of Jesus Christ" (1 Peter 1:7). Your stand is a test. It is a test of your faith. And when you pass the test, you will come out stronger, deeper, and more mature.
God's perspective is that He will honor those who honor Him. He says, "For those who honor Me I will honor, and those who despise Me shall be lightly esteemed" (1 Samuel 2:30). When you honor God by standing firm, He will honor you. He will exalt you in due time. He will reward you openly. He will give you the crown of life (James 1:12). He will confess your name before the Father (Matthew 10:32).
God sees your stand as a testimony to the world. The world is watching you. They are watching to see if your faith is real. They are watching to see if you will compromise when it costs you. They are watching to see if you truly believe what you say you believe. Your stand is a testimony. It is a witness. It is a sermon without words. It speaks louder than anything you could ever say.
God's perspective is that your labor is not in vain. He sees every act of faithfulness. He sees every sacrifice. He sees every stand. He sees every tear. He sees every prayer. And He will reward you. He will not forget your labor of love (Hebrews 6:10). He will not forget your sacrifice. He will not forget your stand. Your labor is not in vain in the Lord. It has eternal significance. It has eternal reward.
Practical Application
Purpose in Your Heart: Before the test comes, purpose in your heart. Decide ahead of time what you will do. Settle the matter in your inner being. Draw the line. Make the commitment. Say, "I will not compromise. I will not defile myself. I will stand firm, no matter the cost." Do not wait until the moment of temptation to decide. Decide now.
Know What You Believe: You cannot stand firm for what you do not know. You must know what you believe. You must know the truth. You must know the Word of God. You must know what God says about the issues you will face. Study the Scriptures. Meditate on them. Memorize them. Let them dwell in you richly. So that when the test comes, you will know what to do.
Trust God with the Outcome: You do not have to control the outcome. You do not have to manipulate the situation. You do not have to protect yourself. Trust God with the outcome. Trust Him to provide. Trust Him to protect. Trust Him to honor. Trust Him to reward. Say, "Lord, I will stand firm. I will trust You with the outcome. If You deliver me, I will praise You. If You do not, I will praise You still."
Be Steadfast and Immovable: Be rooted. Be grounded. Be established. Do not be moved by every wind of doctrine. Do not be shaken by every trial. Do not be tossed to and fro by every wave of opposition. Be steadfast. Be immovable. Be firm. Be stable. Be settled. Anchor your soul in Christ. Anchor your soul in His Word. Anchor your soul in His promises.
Focus on the Reward: When the cost seems high, focus on the reward. Focus on the eternal glory. Focus on the crown of life. Focus on the words, "Well done, good and faithful servant." Focus on the joy of hearing Jesus say, "You stood firm. You did not compromise. You honored Me." The reward is worth it. The reward is far greater than any cost you could ever pay.
Surround Yourself with Like-Minded Believers: You do not have to stand alone. God has given you a family—the body of Christ. Surround yourself with believers who love God, who love His Word, and who are committed to His truth. They will encourage you, support you, and stand with you. Together, you can stand firm. Together, you can resist the enemy. Together, you can honor God.
Remember the Faithfulness of God: When you are tempted to compromise, remember the faithfulness of God. Remember how He has delivered you in the past. Remember how He has provided for you. Remember how He has protected you. Remember how He has honored you. He has been faithful before. He will be faithful again. He will not abandon you. He will not forsake you. He will not let you down. Trust Him. He is faithful.
Ask Yourself
Have I purposed in my heart not to compromise?
What lines have I drawn? What will I not do, no matter the cost?
Am I willing to stand firm even if it costs me something?
Am I trusting God with the outcome?
Am I steadfast and immovable, or am I easily shaken?
Am I focusing on the cost or the reward?
Do I know that my labor is not in vain in the Lord?
Will I stand firm when it costs me?
Reflection
Stand firm when it costs you. This is the call. This is the command. This is the invitation. There will be moments when standing for truth will cost you something. It may cost you a promotion. It may cost you a friendship. It may cost you your reputation. It may cost you your comfort. It may cost you your freedom. It may even cost you your life. But you must stand firm. You must not compromise. You must not defile yourself. You must not go along with the crowd. You must stand on the truth. You must stand on God's Word. You must stand on righteousness.
Daniel purposed in his heart that he would not defile himself. He had already decided. He had already made the commitment. He had already drawn the line. And when the test came, he stood firm. He did not waver. He did not compromise. He did not back down. He stood firm. And God honored him. God gave him favor. God gave him wisdom. God gave him promotion. God gave him a testimony that has echoed through the ages.
Be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your labor is not in vain in the Lord. This is the promise. This is the exhortation. This is the path to reward. When you are steadfast, when you are immovable, when you are always abounding in the work of the Lord, you can know that your labor is not in vain. God sees. God knows. God remembers. And God will reward.
So purpose in your heart. Know what you believe. Trust God with the outcome. Be steadfast and immovable. Focus on the reward. Surround yourself with like-minded believers. Remember the faithfulness of God. And stand firm. Stand firm when it costs you. Stand firm when it is hard. Stand firm when you are alone. Stand firm when you are afraid. Stand firm. And you will hear, "Well done, good and faithful servant. You stood firm. You did not compromise. You honored Me. Enter into the joy of your Lord."
Prayer
Father, I confess that I have compromised when I should have stood firm. I have been afraid of the cost. I have been silent when I should have spoken. I have gone along with the crowd when I should have stood alone. Forgive me. Today, I purpose in my heart that I will not compromise. I will not defile myself. I will stand firm. I will stand on Your truth. I will stand on Your Word. I will stand on righteousness. Help me to know what I believe. Help me to be steadfast and immovable. Help me to trust You with the outcome. Help me to focus on the reward. Help me to remember Your faithfulness. I will not be moved. I will not be shaken. I will not be toppled. I will stand firm. I will stand firm when it costs me. I will stand firm when it is hard. I will stand firm when I am alone. I will stand firm when I am afraid. I will stand firm. And I know that my labor is not in vain in the Lord. In Jesus' mighty name, Amen.
Declaration
I declare that I will stand firm when it costs me. I have purposed in my heart that I will not compromise. I will not defile myself. I will not go along with the crowd. I will not be silent when I should speak. I will not back down when I should stand. I will stand on God's truth. I will stand on God's Word. I will stand on righteousness. I will be steadfast. I will be immovable. I will be always abounding in the work of the Lord. I know that my labor is not in vain in the Lord. I will not be moved by persecution. I will not be moved by opposition. I will not be moved by temptation. I will not be moved by the cost. I will stand firm. I will stand firm when it costs me my position. I will stand firm when it costs me my friends. I will stand firm when it costs me my reputation. I will stand firm when it costs me my comfort. I will stand firm when it costs me my freedom. I will stand firm when it costs me my life. I will stand firm. I will stand firm. I will stand firm. And I will hear, "Well done, good and faithful servant."
Concluding Scripture
📖 1 Corinthians 15:58 (NKJV)
"Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your labor is not in vain in the Lord."
A Final Word
Stand firm when it costs you. This is the call. This is the command. This is the invitation. There will be moments when standing for truth will cost you something. It may cost you a promotion. It may cost you a friendship. It may cost you your reputation. It may cost you your comfort. It may cost you your freedom. It may even cost you your life. But you must stand firm. You must not compromise. You must not defile yourself. You must not go along with the crowd. You must stand on the truth. You must stand on God's Word. You must stand on righteousness.
Daniel purposed in his heart that he would not defile himself. He had already decided. He had already made the commitment. He had already drawn the line. And when the test came, he stood firm. He did not waver. He did not compromise. He did not back down. He stood firm. And God honored him. God gave him favor. God gave him wisdom. God gave him promotion. God gave him a testimony that has echoed through the ages.
Be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your labor is not in vain in the Lord. This is the promise. This is the exhortation. This is the path to reward. When you are steadfast, when you are immovable, when you are always abounding in the work of the Lord, you can know that your labor is not in vain. God sees. God knows. God remembers. And God will reward.
So purpose in your heart. Know what you believe. Trust God with the outcome. Be steadfast and immovable. Focus on the reward. Surround yourself with like-minded believers. Remember the faithfulness of God. And stand firm. Stand firm when it costs you. Stand firm when it is hard. Stand firm when you are alone. Stand firm when you are afraid. Stand firm. And you will hear, "Well done, good and faithful servant. You stood firm. You did not compromise. You honored Me. Enter into the joy of your Lord."

Comments
Post a Comment