YOU CANNOT LEAVE GOD OUT OF YOUR PLANS
THE FOLLY OF PRESUMPTUOUS PLANNING
Key Scripture
📖 Proverbs 3:5–6 (NKJV)
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths."
📖 James 4:13–15 (NKJV)
"Come now, you who say, 'Today or tomorrow we will go to such and such a city, spend a year there, buy and sell, and make a profit'; whereas you do not know what will happen tomorrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapor that appears for a little time and then vanishes away. Instead you ought to say, 'If the Lord wills, we shall live and do this or that.'"
Introduction
There is a subtle and dangerous practice that has infiltrated the lives of countless believers. It is the practice of making plans without consulting God. We map out our futures, set our goals, chart our courses, and make our decisions—all without ever seeking His guidance, His wisdom, or His will. We treat God as a spectator rather than the Sovereign. We treat Him as an advisor rather than the Lord. We treat Him as optional rather than essential. We plan our lives as if we are the ones in control, as if we know what is best, as if we can determine our own destinies. And then we wonder why our plans fail, why our paths lead to dead ends, and why our lives feel empty and purposeless.
The Word of God confronts this presumption head-on. Solomon writes, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths." The Hebrew word for "acknowledge" is yada, which means to know intimately, to recognize, to be aware of. Acknowledging God means bringing Him into every decision, every thought, and every step. It means saying, "Lord, I do not know what to do, but I know You. I do not understand this situation, but I understand that You are sovereign. I cannot see the path ahead, but I see You."
James echoes this truth with a stinging rebuke of presumptuous planning. He writes, "Come now, you who say, 'Today or tomorrow we will go to such and such a city, spend a year there, buy and sell, and make a profit'; whereas you do not know what will happen tomorrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapor that appears for a little time and then vanishes away. Instead you ought to say, 'If the Lord wills, we shall live and do this or that.'"
The Greek word for "come now" is age, which is an interjection used to call attention or to express urgency. It is like saying, "Come on now! Listen up!" James is confronting a mindset that is prevalent among believers—the mindset of planning without God. He is addressing those who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go to such and such a city, spend a year there, buy and sell, and make a profit." They had their plans all figured out. They knew where they were going. They knew how long they would stay. They knew what they would do. They knew how much they would make. But they left God out of the equation entirely. They did not say, "If the Lord wills." They did not acknowledge His sovereignty. They did not seek His guidance. They just made their plans and assumed they would come to pass.
James exposes the folly of this thinking. He says, "Whereas you do not know what will happen tomorrow." The Greek word for "know" is epistamai, which means to know, to understand, or to be acquainted with. The point is simple: you do not know what tomorrow holds. You do not know if you will even be alive tomorrow. You do not know what circumstances will arise. You do not know what obstacles will appear. You do not know what God will do. You are not in control. You are not sovereign. You are not the author of your own destiny. And to plan as if you are is the height of arrogance.
Then James asks a humbling question: "For what is your life? It is even a vapor that appears for a little time and then vanishes away." The Greek word for "vapor" is atmis, which means mist, steam, or vapor. It is the picture of a puff of smoke that appears for a moment and then disappears. It is here today and gone tomorrow. It is fleeting. It is transient. It is temporary. Your life is a vapor. You are here for a moment, and then you are gone. And to plan your life as if you have all the time in the world, as if you are in control, as if you know what tomorrow holds, is the height of foolishness.
Then James gives the remedy: "Instead you ought to say, 'If the Lord wills, we shall live and do this or that.'" The Greek phrase is ean ho kyrios thelēsē, which means "if the Lord wills" or "if the Lord should will." This is not a superstitious formula. It is not a meaningless phrase that we tack onto our plans. It is a posture of the heart. It is an acknowledgment of God's sovereignty. It is a submission to His will. It is a recognition that He is in control and we are not. It is a declaration that our plans are subject to His purposes.
This teaching is for everyone who has ever made plans without consulting God. It is for the one who has mapped out their future without seeking His guidance. It is for the one who has assumed that their plans will come to pass. It is for the one who has left God out of their decisions. It is for the one who needs to learn to say, "If the Lord wills." It is time to bring God back into your planning. It is time to acknowledge Him in all your ways. It is time to trust Him with all your heart.
Biblical Truth
Proverbs 3:5–6 and James 4:13–15 together provide a powerful biblical framework for understanding the importance of including God in our plans. They reveal that we are to trust God, acknowledge Him in all our ways, and submit our plans to His will.
Proverbs 3:5–6 is a prescription for peace in the midst of uncertainty. The Hebrew word for "trust" is batach, which means to cling to, to be confident in, or to feel secure. It implies a total reliance on someone who is completely trustworthy. The command is to trust with "all your heart." The heart, in Hebrew thought, is not just the seat of emotion but the centre of the whole person—mind, will, and emotions. Trusting with all your heart means holding nothing back. It means surrendering every fear, every doubt, every question, and every anxiety to God.
The phrase "lean not on your own understanding" is the negative counterpart to trust. The Hebrew word for "lean" is sha'an, which means to support oneself on, to rely upon, or to rest upon. The word for "understanding" is binah, which means insight, discernment, or comprehension. When we are making plans, we naturally lean on our own understanding. We analyse, we rationalize, we try to figure out the "why" and the "how." But Solomon warns that this is a dangerous posture. Human understanding is limited, fallen, and easily deceived. Our understanding is not a reliable foundation for our plans.
The positive action is to "acknowledge" God in all your ways. The Hebrew word is yada, which means to know intimately, to recognize, or to be aware of. Acknowledging God means bringing Him into every decision, every thought, and every step. It means saying, "Lord, I do not know what to do, but I know You. I do not understand this situation, but I understand that You are sovereign. I cannot see the path ahead, but I see You."
The promise is that God "shall direct your paths." The Hebrew word for "direct" is yashar, which means to make straight, to level, or to guide. When we trust, refuse to lean on our own understanding, and acknowledge Him, God takes the responsibility for our direction. He straightens the crooked paths. He opens doors that no man can shut and shuts doors that no man can open. He makes a way where there seems to be no way. This is not a promise of a trouble-free life; it is a promise of divine guidance through the trouble.
James 4:13–15 is a direct rebuke of presumptuous planning. James writes, "Come now, you who say, 'Today or tomorrow we will go to such and such a city, spend a year there, buy and sell, and make a profit.'" The Greek word for "come now" is age, which is an interjection used to call attention or to express urgency. James is confronting a mindset that is prevalent among believers—the mindset of planning without God.
He goes on to say, "Whereas you do not know what will happen tomorrow." The Greek word for "know" is epistamai, which means to know, to understand, or to be acquainted with. The point is simple: you do not know what tomorrow holds. You do not know if you will even be alive tomorrow. You do not know what circumstances will arise. You do not know what obstacles will appear. You do not know what God will do. You are not in control. You are not sovereign. You are not the author of your own destiny. And to plan as if you are is the height of arrogance.
Then James asks a humbling question: "For what is your life? It is even a vapor that appears for a little time and then vanishes away." The Greek word for "vapor" is atmis, which means mist, steam, or vapor. It is the picture of a puff of smoke that appears for a moment and then disappears. It is here today and gone tomorrow. It is fleeting. It is transient. It is temporary. Your life is a vapor. You are here for a moment, and then you are gone. And to plan your life as if you have all the time in the world, as if you are in control, as if you know what tomorrow holds, is the height of foolishness.
Then James gives the remedy: "Instead you ought to say, 'If the Lord wills, we shall live and do this or that.'" The Greek phrase is ean ho kyrios thelēsē, which means "if the Lord wills" or "if the Lord should will." This is not a superstitious formula. It is not a meaningless phrase that we tack onto our plans. It is a posture of the heart. It is an acknowledgment of God's sovereignty. It is a submission to His will. It is a recognition that He is in control and we are not. It is a declaration that our plans are subject to His purposes.
The principle of including God in our plans is woven throughout Scripture. When Noah built the ark, he followed God's specific instructions (Genesis 6:14-22). When Moses built the tabernacle, he followed the pattern God showed him on the mountain (Exodus 25:40). When David planned to build the temple, he sought God's will and was told that his son Solomon would build it instead (2 Samuel 7:1-17). When Nehemiah planned to rebuild the walls of Jerusalem, he prayed and fasted and sought God's favor before he approached the king (Nehemiah 1-2). When the early church made decisions, they sought the Holy Spirit's guidance (Acts 13:2-4; 15:28). The pattern is clear: the people of God include God in their plans.
The example of Jesus is our ultimate model. Jesus never made a plan without the Father. He said, "I do nothing of Myself; but as My Father taught Me, I speak these things" (John 8:28). He said, "I can of Myself do nothing. As I hear, I judge; and My judgment is righteous, because I do not seek My own will but the will of the Father who sent Me" (John 5:30). He said, "My food is to do the will of Him who sent Me, and to finish His work" (John 4:34). Jesus submitted every plan, every decision, and every step to the Father's will. He did not leave God out of anything. And because He did not, He fulfilled the purpose of God.
What We Often Get Wrong
The first and most common error is that we make plans without consulting God. We map out our futures, set our goals, chart our courses, and make our decisions—all without ever seeking His guidance. We treat God as a spectator rather than the Sovereign. We treat Him as optional rather than essential. We plan our lives as if we are the ones in control. But we are not in control. God is. And to plan without Him is the height of foolishness.
Second, we assume that our plans will come to pass. We say, "Today or tomorrow we will go to such and such a city, spend a year there, buy and sell, and make a profit." We assume that we will be alive tomorrow. We assume that our circumstances will cooperate. We assume that our plans will succeed. But we do not know what tomorrow holds. We do not know if we will even be alive. We do not know what obstacles will arise. We do not know what God will do. We must not assume. We must submit our plans to God's will.
Third, we lean on our own understanding. We rely on our own wisdom, our own analysis, our own reasoning. We make decisions based on what we can see, what we can calculate, and what we can control. But our understanding is limited. Our perspective is finite. Our vision is blurry. We cannot see the whole picture. Only God can. When we lean on our own understanding, we cut ourselves off from His wisdom. We stumble in the dark when we could be walking in the light.
Fourth, we forget that our lives are a vapor. We live as if we have all the time in the world. We procrastinate. We delay. We put off until tomorrow what we should do today. We plan for years in the future as if we are guaranteed to be here. But our lives are a vapor. They appear for a little time and then vanish away. We must live with the awareness of our mortality. We must live with urgency. We must live with purpose.
Fifth, we believe that we can control the outcome. We think that if we plan well enough, work hard enough, and strategize effectively, we can determine the outcome. But we cannot. The outcome is in God's hands. He directs our steps. He determines our path. He establishes our way. We can do our part, but we must trust Him to do His part. We must trust His sovereignty. We must trust His wisdom. We must trust His timing.
Sixth, we become anxious when our plans are uncertain. We want guarantees. We want certainty. We want to know exactly what will happen. We want a clear path before we take a step. But faith is not about certainty; it is about trust. Faith is stepping into the unknown, trusting that God is already there. Faith is making plans while holding them loosely, trusting God to direct our steps.
Seventh, we forget that God's plans are better than ours. We think that our plans are the best plans. We think that we know what is best for our lives. But God's plans are higher than our plans. His ways are higher than our ways. His thoughts are higher than our thoughts. He sees the end from the beginning. He knows what is best. And His plans are always better than ours.
God's Perspective
God views your plans as an opportunity for partnership. He does not want you to plan in isolation. He does not want you to make decisions without Him. He wants to be involved. He wants to guide. He wants to direct. He wants to partner with you in the journey. He invites you to bring your plans to Him, to submit them to His will, and to trust Him to direct your steps.
God's perspective is that His plans are better than yours. "For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope" (Jeremiah 29:11). His plans are for your good. His plans are for your welfare. His plans are for your future and hope. You may not understand them. You may not see the whole picture. But His plans are better than yours. Trust Him.
God sees your planning as an act of stewardship. He has given you a mind to think, a will to choose, and the ability to plan. He expects you to use these gifts. He expects you to be diligent. He expects you to be wise. He expects you to plan. But He also expects you to hold your plans loosely, submitting them to His will and trusting Him to direct your steps.
God's perspective is that He is the one who directs your steps. You can make your plans. You can chart your course. You can set your goals. But He is the one who determines the outcome. He is the one who opens and closes doors. He is the one who makes a way where there seems to be no way. He is the one who directs your steps. He is in control.
God sees your uncertainty as an opportunity for faith. When you do not know what to do, you have a choice. You can become anxious and try to control everything. Or you can trust God and let Him direct your steps. Faith is not knowing everything; faith is trusting the One who knows everything. God wants you to trust Him. He wants you to walk by faith, not by sight.
God's perspective is that His ways are higher than yours. You may not understand what He is doing. You may not see the logic. You may not comprehend the plan. But His ways are higher than your ways. His thoughts are higher than your thoughts. He sees the end from the beginning. He knows what is best. Trust Him. He is worthy of your trust.
Practical Application
Seek God Before You Plan: Make it a habit to pray before you make any significant decision. Do not rely on your own understanding. Do not lean on your own wisdom. Seek God first. Ask Him for guidance. Ask Him for direction. Ask Him to reveal His will. Wait for His answer.
Hold Your Plans with Open Hands: Make your plans, but hold them loosely. Submit them to God. Say, "Lord, this is what I want to do, but I trust You to direct my steps. If You want to change my plans, I am willing." Be flexible. Be open. Be willing to let God redirect you.
Say "If the Lord Wills": Make it a habit to say, "If the Lord wills." Not as a superstitious formula, but as a genuine posture of heart. When you make plans, say, "Lord, if You will, I will do this." When you look at your calendar, invite God into it. Say, "Lord, direct my steps." This trains your heart to acknowledge His sovereignty.
Test Your Plans Against Scripture: God will never lead you to do something that contradicts His Word. Test your plans against Scripture. If your plans contradict the Bible, they are not from God. If they align with Scripture, they are likely from God. Use the Word as your compass.
Seek Wise Counsel: God often speaks through other people. Seek counsel from mature believers—pastors, mentors, elders, and trusted friends. Share your plans with them. Ask them to pray with you. Ask them for their perspective. "Where there is no counsel, the people fall; but in the multitude of counselors there is safety" (Proverbs 11:14).
Trust God's Timing: God's timing is not our timing. He is never late. He is never early. He is always right on time. Do not rush ahead of Him. Do not lag behind Him. Wait for His timing. Trust His process. He knows what He is doing. He will bring His purpose to pass in His perfect time.
Rest in God's Sovereignty: Because God is in control, you can rest. You do not have to make things happen. You do not have to force outcomes. You can trust that God is working all things together for good. Rest in His sovereignty. Rest in His wisdom. Rest in His love. He has you in His hands.
Ask Yourself
Do I seek God before I make my plans?
Do I hold my plans with open hands, or do I cling to them tightly?
Do I assume that my plans will come to pass, or do I say, "If the Lord wills"?
Am I leaning on my own understanding, or am I trusting God?
Do I remember that my life is a vapor?
Do I believe that God's plans are better than mine?
Am I resting in God's sovereignty, or am I anxious about what I cannot control?
Reflection
You cannot leave God out of your plans. This is the truth. This is the warning. This is the invitation. When you make your plans without consulting God, you are acting as if you are in control. You are acting as if you know what is best. You are acting as if you are sovereign. But you are not. God is. He is the one who directs your steps. He is the one who determines your path. He is the one who establishes your way. And to leave Him out of your plans is the height of foolishness.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart. Lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him. And He shall direct your paths. This is the promise. This is the path to peace. This is the secret to making wise plans. Trust God completely. Surrender your will to Him. Seek His wisdom. Wait for His direction. And He will lead you. He will guide you. He will direct you. He will make your path straight.
Instead you ought to say, "If the Lord wills, we shall live and do this or that." This is the posture of a humble heart. This is the acknowledgment of God's sovereignty. This is the submission to His will. It is not a meaningless phrase. It is not a superstitious formula. It is a declaration that your plans are subject to His purposes. It is a recognition that He is in control and you are not.
So seek God. Hold your plans loosely. Say, "If the Lord wills." Test your plans against Scripture. Seek wise counsel. Trust God's timing. Rest in His sovereignty. And watch Him direct your steps. Watch Him open doors that no man can shut. Watch Him make a way where there seems to be no way. Watch Him bring His purpose to pass in your life. You cannot leave God out of your plans. So include Him. Acknowledge Him. Trust Him. And He will direct your paths.
Prayer
Father, I confess that I have made plans without consulting You. I have leaned on my own understanding. I have assumed that my plans would come to pass. I have left You out of my decisions. Forgive me for my arrogance. Forgive me for my presumption. Forgive me for my pride. Today, I choose to include You in all my plans. I choose to trust You with all my heart. I choose to lean not on my own understanding. I choose to acknowledge You in all my ways. I choose to say, "If the Lord wills." Direct my paths. Lead me on the right path. Guide me to the right destination. Help me to hold my plans with open hands. Help me to submit to Your will. Help me to trust Your timing. I know that Your plans are better than mine. I know that Your ways are higher than my ways. I trust You. I submit to You. I surrender my plans to You. In Jesus' mighty name, Amen.
Declaration
I declare that I will not leave God out of my plans. I will seek Him before I make decisions. I will trust in the Lord with all my heart. I will lean not on my own understanding. In all my ways I will acknowledge Him. And He will direct my paths. I will hold my plans with open hands. I will submit my plans to His will. I will say, "If the Lord wills." I will not assume that my plans will come to pass. I will remember that my life is a vapor. I will test my plans against Scripture. I will seek wise counsel. I will trust God's timing. I will rest in His sovereignty. God is in control. He directs my steps. He determines my path. He establishes my way. I will include Him in everything. I will acknowledge Him in all my ways. And He will direct my paths. He will make the crooked places straight. He will lead me on the right path. He will guide me to the right destination. I will not leave God out of my plans. I will include Him. I will trust Him. I will follow Him.
Concluding Scripture
📖 Proverbs 16:9 (NKJV)
"A man's heart plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps."
A Final Word
You cannot leave God out of your plans. This is the truth. This is the warning. This is the invitation. When you make your plans without consulting God, you are acting as if you are in control. You are acting as if you know what is best. You are acting as if you are sovereign. But you are not. God is. He is the one who directs your steps. He is the one who determines your path. He is the one who establishes your way. And to leave Him out of your plans is the height of foolishness.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart. Lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him. And He shall direct your paths. This is the promise. This is the path to peace. This is the secret to making wise plans. Trust God completely. Surrender your will to Him. Seek His wisdom. Wait for His direction. And He will lead you. He will guide you. He will direct you. He will make your path straight.
Instead you ought to say, "If the Lord wills, we shall live and do this or that." This is the posture of a humble heart. This is the acknowledgment of God's sovereignty. This is the submission to His will. It is not a meaningless phrase. It is not a superstitious formula. It is a declaration that your plans are subject to His purposes. It is a recognition that He is in control and you are not.
So seek God. Hold your plans loosely. Say, "If the Lord wills." Test your plans against Scripture. Seek wise counsel. Trust God's timing. Rest in His sovereignty. And watch Him direct your steps. Watch Him open doors that no man can shut. Watch Him make a way where there seems to be no way. Watch Him bring His purpose to pass in your life. You cannot leave God out of your plans. So include Him. Acknowledge Him. Trust Him. And He will direct your paths.

Comments
Post a Comment