DO NOT FORCE WHAT GOD HAS NOT ORDAINED
Key Scripture: Psalm 37:7
Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him; do not fret when people succeed in their ways, when they carry out their wicked schemes.
Impatience can cause us to manufacture what God never asked us to produce. Learn to wait for God's timing rather than forcing your own outcome. When we try to force things that God has not ordained, we often create problems that He never intended for us to face. The greatest damage in our lives often comes not from what God has withheld, but from what we have tried to produce in our own strength.
Introduction
There is a restless energy within the human heart that hates to wait. We are driven, ambitious, and eager to see results. When we have a goal in mind, we want to achieve it as quickly as possible. When we have a dream, we want to see it fulfilled without delay. When we have a prayer, we want an immediate answer. This drive is not always bad. God has placed within us a desire to work, to build, and to pursue purposes. But when this drive is not submitted to God's timing and His will, it can lead us into dangerous territory.
Psalm 37:7 calls us to a different posture. It commands us to "be still before the Lord" and to "wait patiently for him." The word "still" here does not mean inactive or passive. It means to be quiet, to cease striving, and to stop trying to force things. It is the posture of a child who trusts that their Father knows what is best. When we are still before the Lord, we are acknowledging that He is God and we are not. We are releasing our need to control outcomes and submitting to His authority. Waiting is not weakness; it is wisdom. It is the recognition that God's plan is better than our plan, and His timing is better than our timing.
Devotional Thought
The temptation to force things is one of the most common struggles in the spiritual life. We see this pattern throughout Scripture. Abraham grew impatient waiting for the promised son, so he took matters into his own hands and had a child through Hagar. That decision, born of impatience, produced Ishmael, whose descendants became a source of conflict and strife for generations. Abraham forced something that God had not ordained, and the consequences were severe. God still fulfilled His promise through Isaac, but Abraham's impatience brought unnecessary pain into his life and the lives of others.
We do the same thing today. We grow tired of waiting for a spouse, so we settle for someone who is not God's best for us. We grow tired of waiting for a job, so we accept a position that drains our souls. We grow tired of waiting for financial breakthrough, so we take shortcuts that lead to debt and compromise. We grow tired of waiting for healing, so we pursue treatments that are not aligned with God's wisdom. In each case, we are trying to force what God has not ordained, and we end up creating more problems than we solve.
When we try to force things, we are essentially telling God that His timing is not good enough. We are saying, "I know better than You. I cannot wait for Your plan. I am going to make something happen on my own." This is the heart of pride, and it always leads to trouble. The fruit of forcing is often regret, exhaustion, and brokenness. The fruit of waiting is peace, strength, and ultimately, the joy of seeing God's perfect plan unfold.
It is also important to recognize that forcing is not always about dramatic, sinful actions. Sometimes forcing is subtle. It is the constant anxiety we carry when we are not seeing progress. It is the sleepless nights spent worrying about how things will work out. It is the frantic efforts we make to keep things from falling apart. All of this is a form of forcing because it refuses to trust that God is in control. We must learn to rest in His sovereignty, knowing that He is working all things together for our good. When we stop forcing, we stop striving, and we start resting. And in that rest, we find the peace that the world cannot give.
Biblical Insight
Psalm 37 is a wisdom psalm that addresses the tension between trusting God and the temptation to take matters into our own hands. Throughout the psalm, David encourages the righteous to trust in the Lord, to delight in Him, and to commit their way to Him. In verse 7, he calls for stillness and patience. This is the antidote to fretting. Fretting is what happens when we look at our circumstances and become anxious. We see others who seem to be succeeding while we are stuck. We see wicked people prospering while we are struggling. Fretting leads to frustration, and frustration often leads to forcing.
But David says, "Be still." Stop the anxious thoughts. Stop the frantic activity. Stop trying to manipulate outcomes. Instead, wait patiently for the Lord. The word "patiently" means to endure with hope. It is not a passive resignation but an active trust that God will act at the right time. The patience David describes is the patience of a farmer who plants seeds and waits for the harvest. He does not dig up the seeds to check on them. He does not try to speed up the growth. He trusts the process and waits for the appointed time.
The story of Saul is a sobering example of what happens when we force what God has not ordained. Samuel had told Saul to wait seven days at Gilgal before offering the sacrifice. But when Samuel was delayed, Saul grew impatient. He saw his troops scattering, and he panicked. So he offered the burnt offering himself, something he was not authorized to do. Samuel arrived shortly after and confronted Saul: "You have done foolishly. You have not kept the command of the Lord your God." Saul forced something that God had not ordained, and it cost him the kingdom. His impatience led to his downfall.
In contrast, consider the example of David. He was anointed as king when he was a young man, but he did not sit on the throne until many years later. During that time, he had multiple opportunities to force the outcome. He could have killed Saul when he had the chance. He could have raised an army and taken the throne by force. But David refused to force what God had not ordained. He said, "The Lord forbid that I should do such a thing to my master, the Lord's anointed." David waited for God's timing, and when the throne finally came to him, it came with God's blessing. He did not need to force it; he simply trusted the One who had promised it.
Another powerful example is Mary, the mother of Jesus. She was a young woman who had received an impossible promise from God. She would conceive a child without a human father. This was not something she could force or manufacture. It had to be a supernatural act of God. And Mary waited. She trusted. She did not try to make it happen in her own strength. She simply said, "Let it be to me according to your word." When we are willing to wait for God's supernatural intervention, we position ourselves to receive His best.
Practical Application
When you feel the urge to force something, pause and ask yourself, "Is this something God has asked me to do, or is this something I am trying to do on my own?" This simple question can save you from many mistakes. If God has not ordained it, no amount of effort will make it succeed. It will only drain you and lead to frustration. If God has ordained it, He will bring it to pass in His time. Your job is to obey, trust, and wait.
Practice the discipline of surrendering your timelines. Write down what you are waiting for and the date by which you hope to see it happen. Then, in prayer, surrender that date to God. Say, "Lord, I would love to see this by this date, but I release it to You. Your timing is perfect. I will wait for You." This act of surrender takes the pressure off you and puts it on God, where it belongs. It allows you to live in peace rather than anxiety.
Be alert to the subtle ways you may be forcing things without realizing it. Are you constantly checking your phone for an answer? Are you repeatedly bringing up a topic to force a decision? Are you staying in a situation that you know is not God's will because you are afraid to let go? These are all signs that you may be forcing what God has not ordained. Ask the Holy Spirit to reveal any areas where you are striving instead of trusting.
When you are tempted to force something, remind yourself of the fruits of impatience. Think about Abraham and Hagar, or Saul and the sacrifice, or any time in your own life when you forced something and regretted it. Then remind yourself of the fruits of patience. Think about David, who waited years for the throne. Think about Joseph, who waited years for his dreams to come true. Think about Jesus, who waited thirty years before beginning His public ministry. Patience always bears better fruit than forcing.
Also, surround yourself with people who can speak wisdom into your life. When you are tempted to force something, it is often because you are isolated and thinking only from your own perspective. Share your situation with a trusted believer who can help you see clearly. They may be able to discern whether you are moving in faith or forcing in fear. Their perspective can be a lifeline when your own vision is clouded.
Reflection
Think about a time in your life when you tried to force something that God had not ordained. What happened? What did you learn from that experience? Were there consequences that you did not anticipate?
What are you tempted to force right now? Be honest about the areas where you are growing impatient. What would it look like to release that situation to God and trust His timing?
Why do you think we are so prone to forcing things instead of waiting on God? Is it fear, pride, a lack of trust, or a desire for control? How can you address the root cause?
Consider the story of Saul. He was a king who lost his kingdom because he could not wait. How can you guard your heart against the same kind of impatience? What safeguards can you put in place?
Think about David's refusal to harm Saul when he had the opportunity. David understood that God's timing is sacred. How can you adopt the same reverence for God's timing in your own life?
What is the difference between taking wise, prayerful action and forcing things? How can you discern the difference in your own situation?
If you truly believed that God's timing is perfect and that He will fulfill every promise He has made, how would your approach to waiting change today?
Prayer
Father, I confess that I have been impatient. I have tried to force doors that You have not opened. I have pushed for outcomes that You have not ordained. I have taken matters into my own hands when I should have been waiting on You. Forgive me for the times I have acted out of fear and frustration rather than faith and patience. Forgive me for the times I have created unnecessary problems because I would not trust Your timing.
Today, I choose to be still before You. I release every situation that I have been trying to force. I place my future, my relationships, my career, my finances, and my dreams into Your hands. I surrender my timelines and my expectations. I acknowledge that You are God and I am not. You see the end from the beginning, and Your timing is always perfect.
Help me to wait with hope, not with anxiety. Help me to be patient, not restless. Help me to trust, not manipulate. When I am tempted to force things, remind me of Your faithfulness in the past. When I am tempted to give up, remind me that You are still working. When I am tempted to doubt, remind me of Your promises.
I declare that I will not force what You have not ordained. I will wait for Your timing, and I will trust that You will make everything beautiful in its time. In the name of Jesus, who waited perfectly for the Father's timing, I pray. Amen.
Declaration
I declare that I will not force what God has not ordained.
I renounce the spirit of impatience.
I choose to wait on the Lord with hope and trust.
Forcing leads to regret; waiting leads to blessing.
God's timing is always perfect.
I will not manipulate, control, or manufacture outcomes.
Today, I rest in the assurance that God is in control.
I trust that He will fulfill every promise at the right time.

Comments
Post a Comment