YOU ARE WHO GOD SAYS YOU ARE
THE TRUTH ABOUT YOUR IDENTITY
Key Scripture
π 1 Peter 2:9 (NKJV)
"But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light."
π Ephesians 2:10 (NKJV)
"For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them."
Introduction
There is a battle raging for your identity. It is a battle that began in the garden of Eden and continues to this very day. It is the battle between what God says about you and what the world, the flesh, and the devil say about you. Every day, you are bombarded with messages that seek to define you, label you, and categorize you. The world tells you that your worth is based on your performance, your appearance, your possessions, and your popularity. The enemy whispers that you are worthless, unlovable, unforgivable, and beyond redemption. Your past screams that you are defined by your failures, your mistakes, and your sins. And your feelings tell you that you are inadequate, insecure, and insignificant.
But there is another voice. It is the voice of your Creator. It is the voice of your Redeemer. It is the voice of your Father. And He has spoken the truth about who you are. He has declared your identity. He has defined your worth. He has established your value. And what He says about you is the only thing that truly matters.
The Apostle Peter declared, "But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people." The Greek word for "chosen" is eklektos, which means chosen, elect, or selected. You are chosen by God. Not because of anything you did, but because of His sovereign love. The phrase "royal priesthood" (basileion hierateuma) means you are both royalty and a priest. You are a king and a priest. You have direct access to God, and you represent God to the world. The phrase "holy nation" (ethnos hagion) means you are set apart, consecrated, and dedicated to God. The phrase "His own special people" (laos eis peripoiΔsin) means you are God's treasured possession, His prized inheritance, His beloved bride.
The Apostle Paul added, "For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them." The Greek word for "workmanship" is poiΔma, from which we get the word "poem." You are God's masterpiece. You are His work of art. You are His poem. He has crafted you with care, with intentionality, and with purpose. And He has created you for a purpose—good works that He prepared beforehand for you to walk in.
This teaching is for everyone who has ever struggled with their identity. It is for the one who has believed the lies of the enemy. It is for the one who has been defined by their past. It is for the one who has been told they are not enough. It is for the one who needs to know the truth about who they are in Christ. It is time to silence the wrong voices. It is time to believe what God says about you. It is time to understand that you are who God says you are.
Biblical Truth
1 Peter 2:9 and Ephesians 2:10 together provide a powerful biblical framework for understanding your identity in Christ. They reveal that you are chosen, royal, holy, special, and God's workmanship, and that your identity is rooted in what God says about you, not in what others say or what you feel.
1 Peter 2:9 is a declaration of identity. Peter writes to believers who were scattered throughout Asia Minor, facing persecution and suffering for their faith. They were marginalized, rejected, and despised by the world. They felt like outsiders, strangers, and aliens. But Peter reminds them of who they are in Christ. He gives them four powerful identity statements.
First, "You are a chosen generation." The Greek word for "chosen" is eklektos, which means chosen, elect, or selected. The word for "generation" is genos, which means race, kindred, or offspring. You are a chosen race. You are part of a chosen generation. God has chosen you. Not because of anything you did, but because of His sovereign love. He chose you before the foundation of the world (Ephesians 1:4). He chose you to be holy and blameless before Him. He chose you to be His child. He chose you to be part of His family. You are chosen.
Second, "You are a royal priesthood." The Greek phrase is basileion hierateuma. The word basileion means royal, kingly, or regal. The word hierateuma means priesthood, the office of a priest. You are a royal priest. You are both royalty and a priest. You are a king and a priest. In the Old Testament, only the priests could approach God. Only the high priest could enter the Holy of Holies. But now, through Christ, you have direct access to God. You can approach His throne with boldness (Hebrews 4:16). And you represent God to the world. You are a royal priest.
Third, "You are a holy nation." The Greek phrase is ethnos hagion. The word ethnos means nation, people, or race. The word hagion means holy, set apart, or consecrated. You are a holy nation. You are set apart for God. You are consecrated to Him. You are not like the world. You are different. You are distinct. You are holy. Not because of your own righteousness, but because of Christ's righteousness imputed to you. You are set apart for God's purposes.
Fourth, "You are His own special people." The Greek phrase is laos eis peripoiΔsin. The word laos means people. The phrase eis peripoiΔsin means for possession, for acquisition, or for preservation. You are God's own special people. You are His treasured possession. You are His prized inheritance. You are His beloved bride. You belong to Him. You are His.
The purpose is given: "That you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light." You are chosen, royal, holy, and special for a reason. You are chosen to proclaim His praises. You are chosen to declare His excellencies. You are chosen to tell the world about the One who called you out of darkness and into His marvelous light. You are not just saved; you are sent. You are not just blessed; you are a blessing. You are not just loved; you are an ambassador of His love.
Ephesians 2:10 adds another dimension to your identity. Paul writes, "For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them." The Greek word for "workmanship" is poiΔma, from which we get the word "poem." You are God's masterpiece. You are His work of art. You are His poem. You are not an accident. You are not a mistake. You are not a random collection of cells. You are a carefully crafted, divinely designed, intentionally created masterpiece.
The phrase "created in Christ Jesus" reveals the sphere of your creation. You are not just created; you are re-created. You are not just made; you are remade. You are a new creation in Christ (2 Corinthians 5:17). Old things have passed away. All things have become new. You are not who you used to be. You are not defined by your past. You are defined by your new identity in Christ.
The phrase "for good works" reveals the purpose of your creation. You were not created for nothing. You were not created to sit. You were not created to be idle. You were created for good works. You were created to serve. You were created to bless. You were created to make a difference. You were created to advance the Kingdom of God. You were created to glorify God.
The phrase "which God prepared beforehand" reveals the plan of your creation. Before you were born, before you were saved, before you even knew God, He had already prepared a path of good works for you to walk in. He had already mapped out your purpose. He had already assigned your mission. He had already given you your gifts. You are not an afterthought. You are not a plan B. You are part of God's eternal, sovereign, purposeful plan.
The phrase "that we should walk in them" reveals the participation of your creation. You are not a passive recipient of God's will. You are an active participant. You must walk. You must obey. You must step into the purpose He has prepared. You must use the gifts He has given. You must fulfill the mission He has assigned. You must walk in the good works He has prepared.
The principle of identity in Christ is woven throughout Scripture. You are a child of God (John 1:12). You are forgiven (Ephesians 4:32). You are redeemed (Ephesians 1:7). You are justified (Romans 5:1). You are sanctified (1 Corinthians 6:11). You are a new creation (2 Corinthians 5:17). You are a temple of the Holy Spirit (1 Corinthians 6:19). You are a member of the body of Christ (1 Corinthians 12:27). You are an ambassador of Christ (2 Corinthians 5:20). You are a co-heir with Christ (Romans 8:17). You are seated with Christ in heavenly places (Ephesians 2:6). You are loved with an everlasting love (Jeremiah 31:3). You are accepted in the Beloved (Ephesians 1:6). You are complete in Christ (Colossians 2:10). This is who you are. This is your identity. This is what God says about you.
The example of Jesus is our ultimate model. Jesus knew who He was. He knew He was the Son of God. He knew He was the Messiah. He knew He was the Savior of the world. He knew His identity. And because He knew His identity, He was not swayed by the opinions of others. He was not moved by the accusations of the Pharisees. He was not shaken by the rejection of the crowds. He was not tempted by the devil's lies. He knew who He was. And He lived out of that identity. He walked in His purpose. He fulfilled His mission. He glorified the Father. And He calls us to do the same.
What We Often Get Wrong
The first and most common error is that we believe the lies of the enemy. The enemy is the father of lies (John 8:44). He whispers to us, "You are worthless. You are unlovable. You are a failure. You are beyond redemption. You are not enough." And we believe him. We accept his lies as truth. We define ourselves by his accusations. But we must not believe the lies. We must reject them. We must replace them with the truth of God's Word.
Second, we define ourselves by our past. We say, "I am a divorcee. I am an addict. I am a failure. I am a victim." We let our past define our present. We let our mistakes determine our identity. But our past does not define us. Our past is forgiven. Our past is under the blood. Our past is gone. We are new creations in Christ. Old things have passed away. All things have become new.
Third, we define ourselves by our performance. We say, "I am a good person because I do good things. I am a Christian because I go to church. I am righteous because I obey the rules." We base our identity on what we do rather than on who we are in Christ. But our identity is not based on our performance. It is based on Christ's performance. It is based on His finished work on the cross. We are not accepted because of what we do; we are accepted because of what He did.
Fourth, we define ourselves by the opinions of others. We say, "I am what people say I am. I am what my parents said I am. I am what my boss said I am. I am what my friends say I am." We let other people's opinions define us. But the only opinion that matters is God's opinion. He says you are chosen. He says you are royal. He says you are holy. He says you are special. He says you are His workmanship. His opinion is the only one that matters.
Fifth, we define ourselves by our feelings. We say, "I feel worthless, so I must be worthless. I feel unloved, so I must be unloved. I feel like a failure, so I must be a failure." We let our feelings dictate our identity. But feelings are not facts. They are not reliable indicators of reality. The truth is not determined by how we feel; it is determined by what God has said. And God has said you are chosen, royal, holy, and special.
Sixth, we compare ourselves to others. We look at others who seem more successful, more beautiful, more talented, or more spiritual and we feel inadequate. We look at others who seem less successful, less beautiful, less talented, or less spiritual and we feel superior. But comparison is a trap. It steals our joy. It distorts our perspective. It makes us focus on what we are not instead of on who we are in Christ. God has made you unique. There is no one else like you. You are His masterpiece.
Seventh, we forget who we are. We forget that we are chosen. We forget that we are royal. We forget that we are holy. We forget that we are special. We forget that we are God's workmanship. We forget our identity. And when we forget our identity, we live below our privilege. We live as orphans instead of sons. We live as paupers instead of kings. We live as slaves instead of free men. We must remember who we are.
God's Perspective
God views you as His chosen child. He chose you before the foundation of the world. He chose you to be holy and blameless before Him. He chose you to be His child. He chose you to be part of His family. You are not an accident. You are not a mistake. You are not an afterthought. You are chosen. You are loved. You are His.
God's perspective is that you are royalty. You are a royal priest. You are a king and a priest. You have direct access to God. You represent God to the world. You have been given authority in Christ. You have been given power through the Holy Spirit. You are not a pauper. You are not a beggar. You are not a slave. You are a king. You are a priest. You are royalty.
God sees you as holy. Not because of your own righteousness, but because of Christ's righteousness imputed to you. You have been set apart. You have been consecrated. You have been dedicated to God. You are not like the world. You are different. You are distinct. You are holy. You are sanctified. You are set apart for His purposes.
God's perspective is that you are His special treasure. You are His prized possession. You are His beloved bride. You are His inheritance. You belong to Him. You are precious in His sight. You are the apple of His eye. He loves you with an everlasting love. He delights in you. He rejoices over you with singing (Zephaniah 3:17). You are His.
God sees you as His workmanship. You are His masterpiece. You are His poem. You are His work of art. He has crafted you with care. He has designed you with intentionality. He has created you with purpose. You are not a random collection of cells. You are not a mass-produced product. You are a unique, one-of-a-kind, divinely designed masterpiece.
God's perspective is that you are created for a purpose. You are created for good works. You are created to serve. You are created to bless. You are created to make a difference. You are created to advance the Kingdom of God. You are created to glorify God. You are not here by accident. You are here on assignment. You have a purpose. You have a mission. You have a destiny.
Practical Application
Renew Your Mind with God's Truth: The battle for your identity is fought in your mind. You must renew your mind with the Word of God (Romans 12:2). Read the Scriptures that declare who you are in Christ. Memorize them. Meditate on them. Declare them over your life. Replace the lies of the enemy with the truth of God's Word.
Reject the Lies of the Enemy: When the enemy whispers, "You are worthless," respond with, "No, I am chosen." When he whispers, "You are unlovable," respond with, "No, I am loved with an everlasting love." When he whispers, "You are a failure," respond with, "No, I am God's workmanship." Do not accept the lies. Reject them. Replace them with the truth.
Stop Comparing Yourself to Others: Comparison is a trap. It steals your joy and distorts your perspective. Stop comparing yourself to others. You are not them. You are you. You are unique. You are one of a kind. God has made you exactly as He wanted you to be. Celebrate who you are. Embrace your uniqueness. Thank God for the way He made you.
Define Yourself by What God Says: Do not define yourself by your past. Do not define yourself by your performance. Do not define yourself by the opinions of others. Do not define yourself by your feelings. Define yourself by what God says. He says you are chosen. He says you are royal. He says you are holy. He says you are special. He says you are His workmanship. His opinion is the only one that matters.
Live Out of Your Identity: You are not just to know who you are; you are to live out of who you are. Live like a chosen child of God. Live like a royal priest. Live like a holy nation. Live like God's special treasure. Live like God's masterpiece. Let your identity in Christ shape your behavior, your decisions, your relationships, and your destiny.
Surround Yourself with People Who Affirm Your Identity: The people you surround yourself with can either reinforce the lies or affirm the truth. Surround yourself with people who love God, who know His Word, who speak truth, and who will remind you of who you are in Christ. Avoid people who tear you down, criticize you, or define you by your past.
Help Others Discover Their Identity: Many people are struggling with their identity. They believe the lies of the enemy. They are defined by their past. They feel worthless, unlovable, and insignificant. Help them discover who they are in Christ. Share the truth with them. Affirm them. Encourage them. Help them see themselves as God sees them.
Ask Yourself
Do I know who I am in Christ?
Am I believing the lies of the enemy, or am I believing the truth of God's Word?
Am I defining myself by my past, my performance, or the opinions of others?
Am I comparing myself to others?
Do I live out of my identity in Christ, or do I live below my privilege?
Do I surround myself with people who affirm my identity?
Am I helping others discover who they are in Christ?
Reflection
You are who God says you are. This is the truth. This is the promise. This is your identity. You are not who the world says you are. You are not who the enemy says you are. You are not who your past says you are. You are not who your feelings say you are. You are not who your failures say you are. You are who God says you are.
And God says you are chosen. You are not rejected. You are chosen. God says you are royal. You are not a pauper. You are royalty. God says you are holy. You are not defiled. You are holy. God says you are special. You are not insignificant. You are His treasured possession. God says you are His workmanship. You are not a mistake. You are His masterpiece. God says you are created for a purpose. You are not an accident. You are on assignment.
This is your identity. This is your worth. This is your value. You are not defined by your past. You are not defined by your failures. You are not defined by your feelings. You are not defined by the opinions of others. You are defined by God. And God says you are His child. God says you are loved. God says you are forgiven. God says you are redeemed. God says you are accepted. God says you are complete in Christ.
So do not believe the lies. Do not accept the labels. Do not live in the prison of a false identity. You are who God says you are. And God says you are chosen. Royal. Holy. Special. His workmanship. His masterpiece. His beloved. His child. This is who you are. Embrace it. Believe it. Live it. And you will discover the freedom, the joy, and the purpose that comes from knowing who you are in Christ.
Prayer
Father, I thank You for who You say I am. I thank You that I am chosen. I thank You that I am royal. I thank You that I am holy. I thank You that I am special. I thank You that I am Your workmanship. Forgive me for the times I have believed the lies of the enemy. Forgive me for the times I have defined myself by my past, my performance, or the opinions of others. Forgive me for the times I have compared myself to others. Today, I choose to believe the truth. I choose to define myself by what You say. I am who You say I am. I am chosen. I am royal. I am holy. I am special. I am Your workmanship. I am Your masterpiece. I am created for a purpose. Help me to live out of my identity in Christ. Help me to reject the lies of the enemy. Help me to renew my mind with Your truth. Help me to live like the child of God that I am. I am who You say I am. In Jesus' mighty name, Amen.
Declaration
I declare that I am who God says I am. I am a chosen generation. I am a royal priesthood. I am a holy nation. I am His own special people. I am His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works. I am not who the world says I am. I am not who the enemy says I am. I am not who my past says I am. I am not who my feelings say I am. I am who God says I am. I am chosen. I am royal. I am holy. I am special. I am His masterpiece. I am created for a purpose. I am loved with an everlasting love. I am forgiven. I am redeemed. I am justified. I am sanctified. I am a new creation. I am a child of God. I am a co-heir with Christ. I am seated with Christ in heavenly places. I am complete in Christ. I am who God says I am. I will not believe the lies. I will not accept the labels. I will not live in a false identity. I will live out of my true identity in Christ. I am who God says I am. And that is enough.
Concluding Scripture
π 2 Corinthians 5:17 (NKJV)
"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new."
A Final Word
You are who God says you are. This is the truth. This is the promise. This is your identity. You are not who the world says you are. You are not who the enemy says you are. You are not who your past says you are. You are not who your feelings say you are. You are not who your failures say you are. You are who God says you are.
And God says you are chosen. You are not rejected. You are chosen. God says you are royal. You are not a pauper. You are royalty. God says you are holy. You are not defiled. You are holy. God says you are special. You are not insignificant. You are His treasured possession. God says you are His workmanship. You are not a mistake. You are His masterpiece. God says you are created for a purpose. You are not an accident. You are on assignment.
This is your identity. This is your worth. This is your value. You are not defined by your past. You are not defined by your failures. You are not defined by your feelings. You are not defined by the opinions of others. You are defined by God. And God says you are His child. God says you are loved. God says you are forgiven. God says you are redeemed. God says you are accepted. God says you are complete in Christ.
So do not believe the lies. Do not accept the labels. Do not live in the prison of a false identity. You are who God says you are. And God says you are chosen. Royal. Holy. Special. His workmanship. His masterpiece. His beloved. His child. This is who you are. Embrace it. Believe it. Live it. And you will discover the freedom, the joy, and the purpose that comes from knowing who you are in Christ.

Comments
Post a Comment