The Root and Consequences of Anger

The Root and Consequences of Anger
What Does It Mean?
This teaching explores why we get angry and the destructive consequences of unchecked anger. The instruction begins by defining anger as a strong feeling of displeasure aroused by a wrong, which can rise to levels of wrath, rage, irritation, and violent frustration.
The teaching then explains the problem with anger: it opens the door for us to use it destructively, causing us to do and say things we usually would never say or do. Anger, when uncontrolled, becomes a weapon that wounds others and ourselves.
The instruction presents two powerful examples of destructive anger: Uzziah and Esau. Uzziah, a king who had become powerful, allowed pride to lead to his downfall. He violated God's spiritual protocol by entering the temple to burn incense, a duty reserved for the priests. When the priests confronted him, Uzziah became angry and raged at them. God's judgment fell immediately—leprosy broke out on his forehead, and he was banned from the temple for the rest of his life.
The teaching notes the contrast: the priests were righteously upset at Uzziah's sin and confronted him, but Uzziah's anger was rooted in pride and a refusal to submit to God's authority. His anger led to his destruction.
The second example is Esau, who sold his birthright to Jacob for a bowl of stew. Later, Esau hated Jacob because he felt his birthright had been stolen. He planned to kill Jacob, and his anger threatened to destroy the family. Rebekah urged Jacob to flee, and Esau's anger separated and destroyed family relationships.
The teaching reveals that anger, when rooted in pride, selfishness, or a sense of entitlement, leads to destruction. It separates families, destroys relationships, and brings judgment.
The Twist
The unexpected element in this teaching is the contrast between righteous and unrighteous anger. The priests were correctly angry at Uzziah's sin—they confronted him, not out of malice but out of reverence for God's holiness. Their anger was righteous because it was directed at sin and motivated by a desire to honor God. Uzziah's anger, in contrast, was selfish—he was angry because his pride was wounded and his authority challenged.
Another surprising insight is the speed and severity of God's judgment on Uzziah. While he was raging at the priests, leprosy broke out on his forehead. The judgment was immediate and public. This shows that God takes seriously the combination of pride and anger, especially when it involves defying His established order.
The teaching also reveals that Esau's anger was rooted in his own choices. He had despised his birthright, selling it for a bowl of stew. But he blamed Jacob and allowed anger to fester until it became murderous. His anger was not justified, and it destroyed his relationship with his brother.
Perhaps most challenging is the reminder that anger separates and destroys family relationships. Esau's anger was not just a personal feeling but a destructive force that threatened to destroy his family. Unresolved anger does not stay contained—it spreads and damages those we love.
How Does It Apply to Me?
Examine the Root of My Anger
The teaching reveals that anger often has a root cause—pride, selfishness, entitlement, or wounded pride. I need to examine my anger and ask what is really driving it.
I can apply this by:
Asking why I am really angry
Identifying whether my anger is rooted in pride or selfishness
Not assuming my anger is justified
Being honest about my motives
Submit to God's Authority
Uzziah's anger came from a refusal to submit to God's established order. I need to submit to God's authority, even when it requires humility and obedience.
I can do this by:
Honoring the roles and authorities God has established
Not insisting on my own way
Being willing to be corrected
Recognizing that God's ways are higher than my ways
Be Slow to Anger
The priests were righteously angry at sin, but they did not sin in their anger. I need to be slow to anger, allowing time to process and respond wisely.
I can apply this by:
Not reacting impulsively
Taking time to pray before responding
Seeking wise counsel when I am angry
Allowing the Holy Spirit to guide my response
Address the Root of Unresolved Anger
Esau's anger festered and grew into hatred and murderous intent. I need to address anger before it takes root and destroys relationships.
I can do this by:
Not letting anger linger
Confessing anger quickly
Seeking reconciliation with those I am angry with
Forgiving those who have wronged me
Guard Against Pride
Uzziah's pride led to his downfall. I need to guard against pride, which makes me vulnerable to destructive anger and judgment.
I can apply this by:
Remembering that everything I have is a gift from God
Not thinking more highly of myself than I ought
Being humble in my successes
Seeking to honor God rather than myself
Avoid the Spiral of Blame
Esau blamed Jacob for his loss, but he himself had despised his birthright. I need to avoid blaming others for problems I have created.
I can do this by:
Taking responsibility for my own choices
Not scapegoating others
Being honest about my own failures
Seeking to reconcile rather than blame
Let Go of Anger Before It Destroys Relationships
Anger separates and destroys family relationships. I need to let go of anger before it damages the relationships that matter most.
I can apply this by:
Not letting anger drive a wedge between me and my loved ones
Seeking reconciliation promptly
Choosing forgiveness over resentment
Prioritizing relationships over being right
Final Reflections
This teaching on the root and consequences of anger presents two contrasting examples: the righteous anger of the priests and the destructive anger of Uzziah and Esau. The priests were angry at sin and confronted Uzziah with the truth. Their anger was motivated by love for God and concern for His holiness. Uzziah's anger, however, was rooted in pride and a refusal to submit to God's authority. His anger led to judgment and destruction.
Esau's anger is a cautionary tale about unresolved resentment. He felt cheated and allowed his anger to grow until it became murderous. His anger destroyed his relationship with his brother and threatened to tear the family apart. The lesson is clear: unresolved anger does not go away; it grows and destroys.
The teaching calls me to examine the root of my anger. Is my anger rooted in righteous concern for God's honor, or is it rooted in pride, selfishness, and wounded pride? The answer to this question determines whether my anger is constructive or destructive.
It also calls me to deal with anger before it destroys relationships. I must not let anger linger or fester. I must confess it, forgive, and seek reconciliation. Anger is a powerful emotion, but it must be controlled and directed by love.
Prayer
Father in Heaven,
I come to You with a heart that acknowledges the power of anger. I confess that I have sometimes allowed anger to take root in my heart, leading to harsh words, broken relationships, and sin. Forgive me for my pride and for the times I have refused to submit to Your authority.
Lord, I thank You for the warnings of this teaching and for the examples of Uzziah and Esau. Help me to learn from their mistakes and to guard my heart against destructive anger. Search my heart and reveal any anger that is rooted in pride or selfishness.
Teach me to be slow to anger and quick to reconcile. Help me to address anger before it festers and destroys relationships. Give me the courage to confess my anger and to seek forgiveness from those I have hurt.
I pray for those who are trapped in anger and resentment. Heal their hearts and restore their relationships. Help them to find freedom through forgiveness and to experience the peace that comes from letting go.
Lord, I choose this day to submit to Your authority, to be slow to anger, and to seek reconciliation. Help me to respond to others with grace and to reflect the character of Christ.
In Jesus' name, who is the Prince of Peace,
Amen.
Comments
Post a Comment