CHOOSE WISELY

CHOOSE WISELY

THE DECISION THAT DEFINES DESTINY

Key Scripture

📖 Deuteronomy 30:19 (NKJV)
"I call heaven and earth as witnesses today against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing; therefore choose life, that both you and your descendants may live."

📖 Proverbs 3:5–6 (NKJV)
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths."

Introduction

Every single day, you are making choices. Some are small and insignificant—what to eat, what to wear, which route to take. Others are weighty and consequential—whom to marry, what career to pursue, where to live, how to raise your children, how to spend your money, how to use your time. But there is one choice that transcends all others. It is the choice that determines the trajectory of your life and the destination of your soul. It is the choice between life and death, blessing and cursing, God and everything else. It is the choice that defines your destiny.

Moses stood before the people of Israel on the plains of Moab, just before they entered the Promised Land. He had led them for forty years. He had delivered them from Egypt, given them the Law, and shepherded them through the wilderness. Now, as his time was drawing to a close, he delivered his final sermon. He laid out the stark reality before them: God had set before them two paths. One led to life, blessing, and prosperity. The other led to death, cursing, and destruction. And then he issued the most urgent plea in all of Scripture: "Choose life."

But choosing wisely is not just about the big decisions of life. It is about every decision. It is about the daily choices that shape your character, your relationships, and your destiny. And to choose wisely, you must learn to trust God. You must learn to lean not on your own understanding. You must learn to acknowledge Him in all your ways. Because the choices you make today will determine the life you live tomorrow. Choose wisely.

This teaching is for everyone who is standing at a crossroads. It is for everyone who knows that a decision must be made. It is for everyone who has been wavering between God and the world, between obedience and rebellion, between faith and fear. It is for everyone who wants to make choices that honor God and align with His will. The choice is yours. God will not make it for you. He sets it before you and urges you to choose wisely. Choose life. Choose God. Choose blessing. Choose today.

Biblical Truth

Deuteronomy 30:19 and Proverbs 3:5–6 together provide a powerful biblical framework for making wise choices. They reveal that we are faced with a choice between life and death, and that we make wise choices by trusting God, leaning not on our own understanding, and acknowledging Him in all our ways.

Deuteronomy 30:19 is the climax of Moses' final address to Israel. He is renewing the covenant with the new generation that will enter the Promised Land. He has reviewed the Law, warned them of the consequences of disobedience, and promised the blessings of obedience. Now he makes it personal. He says, "I call heaven and earth as witnesses today against you." This is covenant language. Heaven and earth are being summoned as witnesses to the solemn choice that Israel must make. It is a choice with eternal consequences.

The words "life and death, blessing and cursing" are comprehensive. They represent the full spectrum of possible outcomes. Life includes everything that is good—health, prosperity, peace, favor, and eternal relationship with God. Death includes everything that is evil—suffering, destruction, exile, and eternal separation from God. The choice is not complicated; it is stark. There are only two paths. There is no middle ground.

Then comes the command: "Therefore choose life, that both you and your descendants may live." The word "choose" is bachar, which means to select, to prefer, or to decide. It is an active decision. It is not passive. God does not make the choice for you. He sets it before you and commands you to choose. The motivation is not just for your own sake but for the sake of your descendants. Your choice affects not only you but your children, your grandchildren, and generations to come.

Proverbs 3:5–6 provides the method for making wise choices. Solomon writes, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths."

The Hebrew word for "trust" is batach, which means to cling to, to be confident in, or to feel secure. It implies a total reliance on someone who is completely trustworthy. The command is to trust with "all your heart." The heart, in Hebrew thought, is not just the seat of emotion but the centre of the whole person—mind, will, and emotions. Trusting with all your heart means holding nothing back. It means surrendering every fear, every doubt, every question, and every anxiety to God.

The phrase "lean not on your own understanding" is the negative counterpart to trust. The Hebrew word for "lean" is sha'an, which means to support oneself on, to rely upon, or to rest upon. When we are facing decisions, we naturally lean on our own understanding. We analyse, we rationalize, we try to figure out the "why" and the "how." But Solomon warns that this is a dangerous posture. Human understanding is limited, fallen, and easily deceived. Our understanding, especially in moments of uncertainty, is not a reliable foundation.

The positive action is to "acknowledge" God in all your ways. The Hebrew word is yada, which means to know intimately, to recognize, or to be aware of. Acknowledging God means bringing Him into every decision, every thought, and every step. It means saying, "Lord, I do not know what to do, but I know You. I do not understand this situation, but I understand that You are sovereign. I cannot see the path ahead, but I see You."

The promise is that God "shall direct your paths." The Hebrew word for "direct" is yashar, which means to make straight, to level, or to guide. When we trust, refuse to lean on our own understanding, and acknowledge Him, God takes the responsibility for our direction. He straightens the crooked paths. He opens doors that no man can shut and shuts doors that no man can open. He makes a way where there seems to be no way.

The principle of choosing wisely is woven throughout Scripture. Joshua declared, "Choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve... But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" (Joshua 24:15). Elijah declared, "How long will you falter between two opinions? If the Lord is God, follow Him" (1 Kings 18:21). Jesus said, "No one can serve two masters" (Matthew 6:24). The call is consistent: choose. Decide. Commit. And choose wisely.

The example of Jesus is our ultimate model. Jesus made the ultimate choice. He chose to obey the Father. He chose to go to the cross. He chose to lay down His life for the sins of the world. He said, "Father, if it is Your will, take this cup away from Me; nevertheless not My will, but Yours, be done" (Luke 22:42). He trusted the Father with all His heart. He did not lean on His own understanding. He acknowledged the Father in all His ways. And the Father directed His paths. And because He chose wisely, He secured our salvation.

What We Often Get Wrong

The first and most common error is that we try to choose both. We think we can serve God and the world. We think we can hold onto our sin and hold onto our salvation. We think we can love God with part of our heart and love the world with the other part. But Jesus is clear: "No one can serve two masters" (Matthew 6:6). You cannot choose both. You must choose one. James writes, "A double-minded man is unstable in all his ways" (James 1:8). You cannot be double-minded. You must be single-hearted.

Second, we delay the decision. We think, "I'll choose later. I'm not ready yet. I need more time." But the Bible says, "Today, if you will hear His voice, do not harden your hearts" (Hebrews 3:15). Today is the day of salvation. Today is the day of decision. Tomorrow is not promised. Delaying is a decision in itself—it is a decision to reject God today.

Third, we lean on our own understanding. We rely on our own wisdom, our own reasoning, our own analysis. We make decisions based on what we can see, what we can calculate, and what we can control. But our understanding is limited. Our perspective is finite. Our vision is blurry. We cannot see the whole picture. Only God can. When we lean on our own understanding, we cut ourselves off from His wisdom. We stumble in the dark when we could be walking in the light.

Fourth, we make choices based on emotions rather than faith. We choose based on what feels good, what feels right, what feels safe. But feelings are unreliable. They fluctuate. They change. They deceive. We must make choices based on God's Word, not on our emotions. We must be led by the Spirit, not by our feelings.

Fifth, we make choices based on fear rather than faith. We choose the safe path, the comfortable path, the familiar path. We avoid risk. We avoid uncertainty. We avoid the unknown. But faith requires risk. Faith requires stepping out of our comfort zones. Faith requires trusting God even when we cannot see the way. The safest place is not the comfortable place; it is the center of God's will.

Sixth, we seek counsel from the wrong sources. We ask advice from people who do not know God, who do not follow His Word, who do not have our best interests at heart. We listen to the world's wisdom instead of God's wisdom. We follow the crowd instead of following Christ. We must seek counsel from godly people who will point us to God's Word and God's will.

Seventh, we forget that our choices have consequences. Every choice has a consequence. Every decision has a ripple effect. Every action has a reaction. The choices you make today will shape your tomorrow. They will affect your family, your friends, your church, and your community. They will impact your eternal destiny. We must not make choices carelessly. We must make them wisely.

God's Perspective

God views your choices as a matter of life and death. He sets before you life and death, blessing and cursing. He does not hide the consequences. He does not keep you in the dark. He clearly reveals the two paths and the outcomes of each. He pleads with you to choose life. He pleads with you to choose blessing. He pleads with you to choose Him. He wants you to choose wisely.

God's perspective is that He wants to guide your choices. He does not want you to make decisions in isolation. He does not want you to rely on your own understanding. He wants to be involved. He wants to guide. He wants to direct. He wants to lead. He says, "I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will guide you with My eye" (Psalm 32:8). He is ready to guide you. He is willing to direct you. You just need to trust Him.

God sees your choices as an expression of your love. Every choice you make is a declaration of your love. When you choose to obey God, you are declaring your love for Him. When you choose to disobey, you are declaring your love for something else. Your choices reveal the true allegiance of your heart. They show what you value, what you prioritize, and what you worship.

God's perspective is that He has a good plan for you. He says, "For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope" (Jeremiah 29:11). His plan is good. His plan is perfect. His plan is for your welfare. He wants you to choose the path that leads to life. He wants you to choose the path that leads to blessing. He wants you to choose the path that leads to Him.

God sees your choices as opportunities to trust Him. Every decision is an opportunity to trust God. Every choice is a chance to rely on His wisdom, His guidance, and His provision. He wants you to trust Him with all your heart. He wants you to lean not on your own understanding. He wants you to acknowledge Him in all your ways. He wants you to trust Him with every decision you make.

God's perspective is that He will direct your paths. When you trust Him, when you lean not on your own understanding, when you acknowledge Him in all your ways, He will direct your paths. He will make the crooked places straight. He will open doors that no man can shut. He will close doors that are not for you. He will lead you on the right path. He will guide you to the right destination. He will direct your steps.

Practical Application

Make the Decision Today: Do not delay. If you have never chosen God, do it today. Pray and say, "Lord, I choose You. I repent of my sins. I surrender my life to You. I choose life." If you have already chosen Him, renew your commitment today. Say, "Lord, I choose You again. I reaffirm my decision. I will follow You."

Seek God Before You Decide: Make it a habit to pray before you make any significant decision. Do not make decisions in the flesh. Do not rely on your own understanding. Bring every decision to God in prayer. Ask Him for wisdom. Ask Him for guidance. Ask Him for direction. Wait for His answer.

Search the Scriptures: God's Word is a lamp to your feet and a light to your path (Psalm 119:105). It is the primary way God guides us. Read it. Study it. Meditate on it. Memorize it. Let it dwell in you richly. The more you know God's Word, the more you will know God's will. His Word reveals His heart, His character, and His purposes.

Seek Wise Counsel: God often speaks through other people. Seek counsel from mature believers—pastors, mentors, elders, and trusted friends. Share your situation with them. Ask them to pray with you. Ask them for their perspective. "Where there is no counsel, the people fall; but in the multitude of counselors there is safety" (Proverbs 11:14).

Wait for Peace: God often confirms His will through peace. "Let the peace of God rule in your hearts" (Colossians 3:15). The word "rule" is brabeuō, which means to be an umpire or to act as a referee. When you are torn between options, let God's peace be the umpire. If you have no peace, wait. If you have peace that passes understanding (Philippians 4:7), move forward.

Be Willing to Obey: Seeking God's will is not just about knowing what to do; it is about being willing to do it. If you are not willing to obey, you will not hear. "If anyone wills to do His will, he shall know concerning the doctrine" (John 7:17). Surrender your will to God. Be willing to do whatever He says. Then you will know His will.

Trust God's Timing: God's timing is not our timing. He is never late. He is never early. He is always right on time. Do not rush ahead of Him. Do not lag behind Him. Wait for His timing. Trust His process. He knows what He is doing. He will bring His purpose to pass in His perfect time.

Ask Yourself

Have I truly chosen God, or am I still wavering?

Am I trying to serve two masters?

Have I been delaying the decision that I need to make today?

Am I leaning on my own understanding, or am I trusting God?

Do I seek God before I make decisions, or do I rely on my own wisdom?

Am I seeking wise counsel, or am I isolating myself?

Do I trust God's timing, even when it is not my timing?

Do I believe that God will direct my paths?

Reflection

Choose wisely. This is the call. This is the command. This is the invitation. You are faced with a choice every single day. The choice between life and death. The choice between blessing and cursing. The choice between God and everything else. The choice is yours. God will not make it for you. He sets it before you and urges you to choose wisely. Choose life. Choose God. Choose blessing. Choose today.

But choosing wisely is not just about the big decisions. It is about every decision. It is about the daily choices that shape your character, your relationships, and your destiny. To choose wisely, you must trust God. You must lean not on your own understanding. You must acknowledge Him in all your ways. And He will direct your paths. He will make the crooked places straight. He will lead you on the right path. He will guide you to the right destination.

The choice is yours. You can choose the path of life, or you can choose the path of death. You can choose the path of blessing, or you can choose the path of cursing. You can choose God, or you can choose the world. There is no middle ground. There is no third option. There are only two paths. And the path you choose will determine your destiny.

So choose wisely. Choose life. Choose God. Choose blessing. Trust Him with all your heart. Lean not on your own understanding. Acknowledge Him in all your ways. And He will direct your paths. He will lead you on the right path. He will guide you to the right destination. He will bring you to the place He has prepared for you. Choose wisely. Your destiny depends on it.

Prayer

Father, I come to You today and I make the most important decision of my life. I choose You. I choose life. I choose blessing. I repent of my sins. I turn away from the world and everything that separates me from You. I surrender my life to You completely. I love You with all my heart, my soul, and my strength. I will obey Your voice. I will cling to You. I will not let go. I reject the middle ground. I reject double-mindedness. I am Yours, and I will follow You all the days of my life. Help me to walk in this decision daily. Help me to be faithful. Help me to trust You with all my heart. Help me to lean not on my own understanding. Help me to acknowledge You in all my ways. Direct my paths. Lead me on the right path. Guide me to the right destination. I choose life. I choose You. In Jesus' mighty name, Amen.

Declaration

I declare that I choose life. I choose God. I choose blessing. I reject death. I reject cursing. I reject the world and its empty promises. I love the Lord my God with all my heart, all my soul, and all my strength. I will obey His voice. I will cling to Him. He is my life. He is my length of days. My choice is made. I will not waver. I will not go back. I will serve the Lord all the days of my life. I trust in the Lord with all my heart. I lean not on my own understanding. In all my ways I acknowledge Him. And He directs my paths. He makes the crooked places straight. He leads me on the right path. He guides me to the right destination. I choose wisely. I choose life. I choose God.

Concluding Scripture

📖 Joshua 24:15 (NKJV)
"And if it seems evil to you to serve the Lord, choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve... But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord."

A Final Word

Choose wisely. This is the call. This is the command. This is the invitation. You are faced with a choice every single day. The choice between life and death. The choice between blessing and cursing. The choice between God and everything else. The choice is yours. God will not make it for you. He sets it before you and urges you to choose wisely. Choose life. Choose God. Choose blessing. Choose today.

But choosing wisely is not just about the big decisions. It is about every decision. It is about the daily choices that shape your character, your relationships, and your destiny. To choose wisely, you must trust God. You must lean not on your own understanding. You must acknowledge Him in all your ways. And He will direct your paths. He will make the crooked places straight. He will lead you on the right path. He will guide you to the right destination.

The choice is yours. You can choose the path of life, or you can choose the path of death. You can choose the path of blessing, or you can choose the path of cursing. You can choose God, or you can choose the world. There is no middle ground. There is no third option. There are only two paths. And the path you choose will determine your destiny.

So choose wisely. Choose life. Choose God. Choose blessing. Trust Him with all your heart. Lean not on your own understanding. Acknowledge Him in all your ways. And He will direct your paths. He will lead you on the right path. He will guide you to the right destination. He will bring you to the place He has prepared for you. Choose wisely. Your destiny depends on it.

Comments