The Hidden Sin

The Hidden Sin

What Does It Mean?

This teaching examines the dangerous nature of hidden sin through the story of Achan. The instruction begins with Proverbs 20:17, which declares that food gained by deceit may taste sweet at first, but afterward the mouth will be filled with gravel. The story of Achan provides a powerful illustration of this truth and the devastating consequences of secret sin.

The account takes place after the Israelites had conquered Jericho. God had commanded that all the spoils of the city were to be devoted to Him and not taken for personal gain. But Achan disobeyed. He saw a beautiful robe, 200 silver coins, and a bar of gold, and he wanted them so much that he took them. He hid them in the ground beneath his tent.

The consequences were immediate and severe. Because of Achan's sin, Israel was defeated in their next battle at Ai. Joshua and the leaders cried out to God, not understanding why they had been defeated. God revealed that someone had stolen what was devoted to Him and had brought trouble on the nation.

When Achan was confronted, he confessed: "I saw... I wanted... I took... I hid." His confession reveals the progression of sin—from seeing to coveting to taking to hiding. The "sweet bait" of stealing became bitterness for Achan. The consequence was not just personal judgment but the destruction of his entire family. He and his children, along with all his possessions, were stoned and burned, and a great heap of stones was piled over him.

The Twist

The unexpected element in this teaching is the severity of the punishment. Achan's sin affected not just himself but his entire family and the whole nation. Israel lost a battle because of his secret sin. His greed brought trouble on everyone. This reveals that sin is never private—it always has consequences that extend beyond the sinner.

Another surprising insight is that Achan's sin was hidden, but God knew. He could not hide his sin from God. The secret was revealed, and the hidden things were brought to light. This is a sobering reminder that nothing is hidden from God. He sees what we do in secret, and He will bring hidden things to light.

The teaching also reveals the progression of sin. Achan saw, then he wanted, then he took, then he hid. This pattern is repeated throughout Scripture. Sin begins with the eyes and the desires of the heart, then leads to action, and then to attempts to cover it up. The process is almost always the same.

Perhaps most tragic is that Achan's sin was not necessary. He had all that he needed, but he wanted more. His greed led to his destruction. The "sweetness" of the robe and the silver and the gold was quickly replaced by the "gravel" of judgment and death.

How Does It Apply to Me?

Examine the Progression of Sin

Achan's story shows how sin progresses from seeing to wanting to taking to hiding. I need to examine my own heart and catch sin at its earliest stages before it leads to destruction.

I can apply this by:

Being aware of what I am looking at and desiring

Not allowing covetous thoughts to take root

Confessing temptation before it becomes sin

Seeking accountability when I am tempted

Recognize That Hidden Sin Is Never Hidden

Achan thought his sin was hidden, but God saw everything. I need to remember that nothing is hidden from God. My secret sins are known to Him.

I can do this by:

Living with an awareness of God's presence

Confessing my sins openly to God

Not assuming that secrecy means safety

Bringing hidden things into the light

Consider the Impact of My Sin on Others

Achan's sin brought trouble on the entire nation. I need to consider how my sins affect those around me, not just myself. My choices have consequences for others.

I can apply this by:

Not thinking of my sin as private

Recognizing that my sin affects my family and community

Being responsible for my choices

Seeking to protect others from the consequences of my sin

Guard Against Greed and Covetousness

Achan saw what he wanted and took it, even though God had forbidden it. I need to guard my heart against greed and covetousness, learning to be content with what I have.

I can do this by:

Being thankful for what God has given me

Not coveting what belongs to others

Trusting that God will provide for my needs

Not allowing material possessions to become idols

Respond Quickly to Confession

When Achan was confronted, he confessed. But his confession could not undo the consequences. I need to respond quickly when God convicts me of sin, confessing and repenting before the consequences grow.

I can apply this by:

Not delaying confession

Being honest with God and others

Accepting the consequences of my sin

Turning away from sin and seeking forgiveness

Remember That God's Commands Are for My Good

God had forbidden taking the spoils of Jericho for good reason. I need to trust that God's commands are for my good, even when I do not fully understand them.

I can do this by:

Obeying God even when I do not understand

Trusting that His ways are higher than my ways

Not assuming that I know better than God

Honoring God's commands

Final Reflections

This teaching on deceit through the story of Achan is a sobering reminder of the destructive power of hidden sin. Achan's greed seemed like a small matter—he simply took a robe, some silver, and a bar of gold. But the consequences were devastating. His sin brought defeat to Israel, judgment on himself and his family, and shame on the entire nation.

The progression of sin is clear in Achan's story. He saw, he wanted, he took, and he hid. This pattern is repeated in every sin. It begins with the eyes and the desires of the heart, leads to action, and then to attempts to cover it up. The only way to break the cycle is to catch sin at its earliest stage and bring it to the light.

The story also reveals that hidden sin is never truly hidden. God sees everything. Achan thought he had gotten away with his sin, but God knew. The secret was revealed, and the hidden things were brought to light. This is a warning that should cause us to examine our own lives and bring anything hidden into the light.

Perhaps the most important lesson is that sin is never private. Achan's sin affected the entire nation. My choices, even those I think are private, have consequences for others. I cannot sin in isolation. My actions affect my family, my community, and my witness for God.

This teaching calls me to a life of honesty, confession, and accountability. It challenges me to examine my heart, to deal with sin quickly, and to trust that God's commands are for my good. The "sweetness" of sin is temporary, but the "gravel" of its consequences is lasting. The only safe path is the path of obedience and integrity.

Prayer

Father in Heaven,

I come to You with a heart that acknowledges the danger of hidden sin. I confess that I have sometimes been tempted to take what I wanted and hide my sin from others. Forgive me for my greed and covetousness, and for the times I have thought I could hide my sin from You.

Lord, I thank You for the warning of this teaching and for the example of Achan. Help me to learn from his mistakes and to deal with sin quickly. Let me not allow temptation to take root but to confess it and turn away from it.

Search my heart and reveal any hidden sin. Bring to light anything I have hidden in darkness. Help me to be honest with You and with others, and to live in the light of Your presence.

I confess the ways my sin has affected others. Forgive me for the trouble I have brought on those I love. Help me to be responsible for my choices and to protect others from the consequences of my sin.

Guard me from greed and covetousness. Help me to be content with what You have given me and to trust that You will provide for my needs. Let me not covet what belongs to others but to rejoice with those who are blessed.

Lord, I choose this day to walk in honesty and integrity. Help me to live in the light, to confess my sins, and to follow Your commands. Let my life be a testimony to Your grace and goodness.

In Jesus' name, who is the Light of the World,

Amen.

Comments