ONE DECISION CAN CHANGE YOUR DIRECTION
THE DECISION THAT DETERMINES DESTINY
Key Scripture
π Deuteronomy 30:19 (NKJV)
"I call heaven and earth as witnesses today against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing; therefore choose life, that both you and your descendants may live."
π Proverbs 14:12 (NKJV)
"There is a way that seems right to a man, but its end is the way of death."
Introduction
There is a moment in every person's life when a single decision changes everything. It may be a decision that seems small and insignificant at the time. It may be a decision that is made in a moment of weakness, confusion, or haste. It may be a decision that is made without much thought or prayer. But that one decision can set in motion a chain of events that alters the entire trajectory of your life. One decision can change your direction. One decision can determine your destiny. One decision can lead you down a path of blessing or a path of cursing. One decision can bring life or death.
The people of Israel stood at the threshold of the Promised Land. They had wandered in the wilderness for forty years. They had witnessed the power of God. They had experienced His provision. They had heard His voice. Now, they were faced with a choice. Moses set before them two paths—the path of life and the path of death, the path of blessing and the path of cursing. And he pleaded with them: "Therefore choose life, that both you and your descendants may live." The choice was theirs. The decision was theirs. And that one decision would determine their direction and the direction of their children after them.
Solomon, the wisest man who ever lived, understood the power of a single decision. He wrote in Proverbs 14:12, "There is a way that seems right to a man, but its end is the way of death." The Hebrew word for "way" is derek, which means path, journey, or manner of life. The word for "seems right" is yashar, which means straight, right, or pleasing. The word for "end" is acharith, which means the latter end, the final outcome, or the time to come. The word for "death" is maveth, which means death, destruction, or ruin. Solomon is warning us that there is a path that looks good, that feels right, that seems wise, but it leads to destruction. It leads to death. And many people choose that path because they do not seek God's wisdom. They lean on their own understanding. They follow their own instincts. And they end up in a place they never intended to go.
This teaching is for everyone who is facing a decision. It is for the one who is standing at a crossroads. It is for the one who is tempted to make a choice based on feelings rather than faith. It is for the one who is about to make a decision that could change everything. It is for the one who needs to understand that one decision can change your direction. It is time to choose wisely. It is time to seek God. It is time to understand that the decisions you make today will determine the life you live tomorrow.
Biblical Truth
Deuteronomy 30:19 and Proverbs 14:12 together provide a powerful biblical framework for understanding the power of a single decision. They reveal that we are faced with a choice between life and death, blessing and cursing, wisdom and folly. And that one decision can change our direction.
Deuteronomy 30:19 is Moses' final appeal to the people of Israel before they entered the Promised Land. He had led them for forty years. He had delivered them from Egypt. He had given them the Law. He had shepherded them through the wilderness. Now, as his time was drawing to a close, he delivered his final sermon. He laid out the stark reality before them: God had set before them two paths. One led to life, blessing, and prosperity. The other led to death, cursing, and destruction. And then he issued the most urgent plea in all of Scripture: "Choose life."
The Hebrew word for "choose" is bachar, which means to select, to prefer, or to decide. It is an active decision. It is not passive. God does not make the choice for you. He sets it before you and commands you to choose. The motivation is not just for your own sake but for the sake of your descendants. Your choice affects not only you but your children, your grandchildren, and generations to come.
The phrase "I call heaven and earth as witnesses today against you" reveals the solemnity of the moment. This is covenant language. Heaven and earth are being summoned as witnesses to the choice that Israel must make. It is a choice with eternal consequences. It is a choice that will be recorded in the annals of eternity. It is a choice that will determine the destiny of a nation.
Moses did not say, "Choose the path that feels right." He did not say, "Follow your heart." He did not say, "Do what makes you happy." He said, "Choose life." The choice was clear. The path was clear. One path led to life. The other led to death. One path led to blessing. The other led to cursing. And the choice was theirs.
Proverbs 14:12 is a warning about the danger of trusting our own judgment. Solomon writes, "There is a way that seems right to a man, but its end is the way of death." The Hebrew word for "way" is derek, which means path, journey, or manner of life. The word for "seems right" is yashar, which means straight, right, or pleasing. The word for "end" is acharith, which means the latter end, the final outcome, or the time to come. The word for "death" is maveth, which means death, destruction, or ruin.
Solomon is warning us that there is a path that looks good, that feels right, that seems wise, but it leads to destruction. It leads to death. It may be the path of least resistance. It may be the path of popularity. It may be the path of pleasure. It may be the path of self-indulgence. It may be the path of compromise. It may be the path of disobedience. But whatever it is, it leads to death.
The phrase "seems right to a man" reveals the danger of relying on our own understanding. Our hearts are deceitful above all things (Jeremiah 17:9). Our wisdom is foolishness to God (1 Corinthians 3:19). Our ways are not His ways (Isaiah 55:8-9). We cannot trust our own judgment. We cannot rely on our own instincts. We cannot follow our own hearts. We must seek God's wisdom. We must trust His Word. We must choose His path.
The principle of one decision changing everything is woven throughout Scripture. Adam and Eve made one decision to eat the forbidden fruit, and it plunged the entire human race into sin and death. Abraham made one decision to obey God and leave his homeland, and it made him the father of a great nation. Lot made one decision to pitch his tent toward Sodom, and it led to the destruction of his family. Joseph made one decision to flee from Potiphar's wife, and it eventually led to his promotion to prime minister of Egypt. Moses made one decision to obey God and confront Pharaoh, and it led to the deliverance of Israel from slavery. Rahab made one decision to hide the spies, and it saved her and her family from destruction. David made one decision to commit adultery with Bathsheba, and it brought tragedy to his family and his kingdom. Solomon made one decision to marry foreign women, and it turned his heart away from God. Peter made one decision to deny Christ, and it brought him to repentance and restoration. Paul made one decision to obey Christ on the Damascus Road, and it changed the course of world history. The pattern is clear: one decision can change your direction. One decision can determine your destiny.
The example of Jesus is our ultimate model. Jesus made one decision in the garden of Gethsemane. He said, "Father, if it is Your will, take this cup away from Me; nevertheless not My will, but Yours, be done" (Luke 22:42). That one decision—to submit to the Father's will, to go to the cross, to die for the sins of the world—changed everything. It secured our salvation. It opened the door to eternal life. It defeated sin, death, and the devil. One decision changed the world. And your one decision can change your world.
What We Often Get Wrong
The first and most common error is that we believe our decisions only affect us. We think that we can make choices in isolation, that our actions do not impact anyone else. But this is a lie. Your decisions affect your family, your friends, your church, and your community. Your decisions affect the next generation. The seeds you plant today will produce a harvest that others will reap. Your choice affects not only you but your children, your grandchildren, and generations to come.
Second, we make decisions based on feelings rather than faith. We choose the path that feels good, that feels right, that feels safe. We follow our hearts. We trust our instincts. But our hearts are deceitful (Jeremiah 17:9). Our instincts are flawed. Our feelings are unreliable. We must make decisions based on God's Word, not on our emotions. We must be led by the Spirit, not by our feelings.
Third, we believe that there is a path that seems right but leads to death. We think that if something looks good, feels good, and seems wise, it must be right. But Solomon warns us that there is a way that seems right to a man, but its end is the way of death. We must not trust our own judgment. We must seek God's wisdom. We must test everything against His Word. We must choose His path, even when it seems harder.
Fourth, we delay the decision. We think, "I'll choose later. I'm not ready yet. I need more time." But the Bible says, "Today, if you will hear His voice, do not harden your hearts" (Hebrews 3:15). Today is the day of salvation. Today is the day of decision. Tomorrow is not promised. Delaying is a decision in itself—it is a decision to reject God today.
Fifth, we make decisions without seeking God. We rely on our own wisdom, our own analysis, our own reasoning. We do not pray. We do not seek His guidance. We do not consult His Word. We do not seek wise counsel. We just do what seems right to us. But the Bible warns, "There is a way that seems right to a man, but its end is the way of death" (Proverbs 14:12). We must seek God before we make our decisions.
Sixth, we believe that one wrong decision disqualifies us forever. We think that if we make a mistake, if we choose the wrong path, we are doomed. But this is not true. God is the God of second chances. He is the God of redemption. He is the God of restoration. He can redeem your wrong decisions. He can restore your path. He can bring you back. Peter denied Christ, but he was restored. David committed adultery and murder, but he was forgiven. Paul persecuted the church, but he was transformed. One wrong decision does not have to be the end of your story.
Seventh, we forget that one right decision can change everything. We focus on the negative. We focus on our failures. We focus on our mistakes. We forget that one right decision can change everything. One decision to obey God can open doors of blessing. One decision to trust God can lead to a life of purpose. One decision to follow Christ can secure your eternal destiny. One decision can change your direction.
God's Perspective
God views your decisions as a matter of life and death. He sets before you life and death, blessing and cursing. He does not hide the consequences. He does not keep you in the dark. He clearly reveals the two paths and the outcomes of each. He pleads with you to choose life. He pleads with you to choose blessing. He pleads with you to choose Him. He wants you to choose wisely.
God's perspective is that He wants to guide your decisions. He does not want you to make decisions in isolation. He does not want you to rely on your own understanding. He wants to be involved. He wants to guide. He wants to direct. He wants to lead. He says, "I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will guide you with My eye" (Psalm 32:8). He is ready to guide you. He is willing to direct you. You just need to trust Him.
God sees your decisions as an expression of your love. Every decision you make is a declaration of your love. When you choose to obey God, you are declaring your love for Him. When you choose to disobey, you are declaring your love for something else. Your decisions reveal the true allegiance of your heart. They show what you value, what you prioritize, and what you worship.
God's perspective is that He has a good plan for you. He says, "For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope" (Jeremiah 29:11). His plan is good. His plan is perfect. His plan is for your welfare. He wants you to choose the path that leads to life. He wants you to choose the path that leads to blessing. He wants you to choose the path that leads to Him.
God sees your decisions as opportunities to trust Him. Every decision is an opportunity to trust God. Every choice is a chance to rely on His wisdom, His guidance, and His provision. He wants you to trust Him with all your heart. He wants you to lean not on your own understanding. He wants you to acknowledge Him in all your ways. He wants you to trust Him with every decision you make.
God's perspective is that He will direct your paths. When you trust Him, when you lean not on your own understanding, when you acknowledge Him in all your ways, He will direct your paths. He will make the crooked places straight. He will open doors that no man can shut. He will close doors that are not for you. He will lead you on the right path. He will guide you to the right destination. He will direct your steps.
Practical Application
Make the Decision Today: Do not delay. If you have never chosen God, do it today. Pray and say, "Lord, I choose You. I repent of my sins. I surrender my life to You. I choose life." If you have already chosen Him, renew your commitment today. Say, "Lord, I choose You again. I reaffirm my decision. I will follow You."
Seek God Before You Decide: Make it a habit to pray before you make any significant decision. Do not make decisions in the flesh. Do not rely on your own understanding. Bring every decision to God in prayer. Ask Him for wisdom. Ask Him for guidance. Ask Him for direction. Wait for His answer.
Search the Scriptures: God's Word is a lamp to your feet and a light to your path (Psalm 119:105). It is the primary way God guides us. Read it. Study it. Meditate on it. Memorize it. Let it dwell in you richly. The more you know God's Word, the more you will know God's will. His Word reveals His heart, His character, and His purposes.
Seek Wise Counsel: God often speaks through other people. Seek counsel from mature believers—pastors, mentors, elders, and trusted friends. Share your situation with them. Ask them to pray with you. Ask them for their perspective. "Where there is no counsel, the people fall; but in the multitude of counselors there is safety" (Proverbs 11:14).
Wait for Peace: God often confirms His will through peace. "Let the peace of God rule in your hearts" (Colossians 3:15). The word "rule" is brabeuΕ, which means to be an umpire or to act as a referee. When you are torn between options, let God's peace be the umpire. If you have no peace, wait. If you have peace that passes understanding (Philippians 4:7), move forward.
Be Willing to Obey: Seeking God's will is not just about knowing what to do; it is about being willing to do it. If you are not willing to obey, you will not hear. "If anyone wills to do His will, he shall know concerning the doctrine" (John 7:17). Surrender your will to God. Be willing to do whatever He says. Then you will know His will.
Trust God's Timing: God's timing is not our timing. He is never late. He is never early. He is always right on time. Do not rush ahead of Him. Do not lag behind Him. Wait for His timing. Trust His process. He knows what He is doing. He will bring His purpose to pass in His perfect time.
Ask Yourself
Have I truly chosen God, or am I still wavering?
Am I making decisions based on feelings or faith?
Am I seeking God before I make decisions, or do I rely on my own wisdom?
Am I choosing the path that seems right to me, or the path that is right according to God's Word?
Am I delaying a decision that I need to make today?
Am I trusting God's timing, even when it is not my timing?
Do I believe that one decision can change my direction?
What decision do I need to make today?
Reflection
One decision can change your direction. This is the truth. This is the reality. This is the responsibility. The decisions you make today will determine the life you live tomorrow. The choices you make in this moment will shape your destiny for eternity. One decision can lead you down a path of blessing or a path of cursing. One decision can bring life or death. One decision can change everything.
There is a way that seems right to a man, but its end is the way of death. Do not trust your own judgment. Do not lean on your own understanding. Do not follow your own heart. Seek God's wisdom. Trust His Word. Choose His path. Because the path that seems right to you may lead to destruction. But the path that God chooses for you will always lead to life.
I call heaven and earth as witnesses today against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing; therefore choose life, that both you and your descendants may live. The choice is yours. God will not make it for you. He sets it before you and urges you to choose wisely. Choose life. Choose God. Choose blessing. Choose today.
So make the decision. Seek God. Search the Scriptures. Seek wise counsel. Wait for peace. Be willing to obey. Trust God's timing. And choose wisely. Because one decision can change your direction. One decision can determine your destiny. One decision can change everything. Choose wisely. Your future depends on it.
Prayer
Father, I come to You today and I acknowledge that I am faced with decisions. I acknowledge that my choices have consequences. I acknowledge that one decision can change my direction. Forgive me for the times I have made decisions based on my own understanding. Forgive me for the times I have leaned on my own wisdom. Forgive me for the times I have chosen the path that seemed right to me but led to death. Today, I choose to seek You. I choose to trust You. I choose to lean not on my own understanding. I choose to acknowledge You in all my ways. I choose to obey Your voice. I choose life. I choose blessing. I choose You. Direct my paths. Lead me on the right path. Guide me to the right destination. Help me to make decisions that honor You. Help me to choose wisely. In Jesus' mighty name, Amen.
Declaration
I declare that one decision can change my direction. I will choose wisely. I will seek God before I make decisions. I will trust in the Lord with all my heart. I will lean not on my own understanding. In all my ways I will acknowledge Him. And He will direct my paths. I will not choose the path that seems right to me. I will choose the path that is right according to God's Word. I will not delay my decision. I will not make decisions based on feelings. I will make decisions based on faith. I choose life. I choose blessing. I choose God. One decision can change my direction. And I choose the path that leads to life. I choose the path that leads to blessing. I choose the path that leads to God. My decision is made. I will follow Him. I will obey Him. I will trust Him. One decision can change my direction. And I have made the right one.
Concluding Scripture
π Proverbs 3:5–6 (NKJV)
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths."
A Final Word
One decision can change your direction. This is the truth. This is the reality. This is the responsibility. The decisions you make today will determine the life you live tomorrow. The choices you make in this moment will shape your destiny for eternity. One decision can lead you down a path of blessing or a path of cursing. One decision can bring life or death. One decision can change everything.
There is a way that seems right to a man, but its end is the way of death. Do not trust your own judgment. Do not lean on your own understanding. Do not follow your own heart. Seek God's wisdom. Trust His Word. Choose His path. Because the path that seems right to you may lead to destruction. But the path that God chooses for you will always lead to life.
I call heaven and earth as witnesses today against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing; therefore choose life, that both you and your descendants may live. The choice is yours. God will not make it for you. He sets it before you and urges you to choose wisely. Choose life. Choose God. Choose blessing. Choose today.
So make the decision. Seek God. Search the Scriptures. Seek wise counsel. Wait for peace. Be willing to obey. Trust God's timing. And choose wisely. Because one decision can change your direction. One decision can determine your destiny. One decision can change everything. Choose wisely. Your future depends on it.

Comments
Post a Comment