The Peace That Is Not of This World
The Peace That Is Not of This World
BIBLE REFERENCE
John 14:27 King James Version – "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid."
WHAT DOES IT MEAN?
This verse is one of the most tender and powerful promises Jesus ever spoke. He speaks these words to His disciples on the night before His crucifixion, knowing they would soon face confusion, grief, and fear. He begins with a gift: "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you." The peace He gives is not a temporary truce or a surface calm; it is His own peace—the very peace that sustained Him in the face of betrayal, suffering, and death. It is not dependent on circumstances because it is rooted in His relationship with the Father. Jesus then contrasts His peace with the world's peace: "not as the world giveth, give I unto you." The world offers peace through escape, avoidance, or temporary fixes. But Christ's peace is real, lasting, and able to withstand the deepest storms. Finally, He commands: "Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid." This is not just a suggestion; it is a call to trust. The peace He gives is the antidote to a troubled heart. When we receive His peace, we can refuse fear because we know that He is with us and He has overcome the world.
THE TWIST
The twist is that Jesus offers this peace at the very moment when He Himself was about to face the most agonizing suffering imaginable. His peace was not based on His circumstances but on His relationship with the Father. The deeper shock is that the world's peace is temporary and fragile, but His peace is eternal and unshakable. The most profound twist is that He gives us His peace, not as a distant promise but as a present possession. The deepest twist is that the command "Let not your heart be troubled" is not a burden but a freedom—He has already given the peace that makes it possible.
HOW DOES IT APPLY TO ME?
This verse meets you exactly where your Inspiration From The Bible describes. When you are disheartened and burned out, His peace is your rest. When you are lonely, His peace is your comfort. When you are fearful, His peace is your courage. When circumstances keep stacking against you, His peace is your anchor. Practically, this means that when anxiety rises, you can receive His peace. You can say, "Lord, I receive Your peace right now—not the world's temporary calm, but Your lasting peace." When your heart is troubled, you can remember that He has already given you peace, and you can choose to release fear. Your daily habit can be to speak this verse aloud and receive the peace Jesus offers.
ONE TRUTH TO CARRY
The peace Jesus gives is not dependent on your circumstances; it is rooted in His presence, and once given, it cannot be taken away by anything the world throws at you.
FINAL REFLECTIONS
Consider the intimacy of this gift. Jesus did not just speak about peace; He gave it—personally, directly, and completely. He left it with you as a legacy, a treasure, a constant source of calm. The very discouragement that brought you to this verse is the invitation to receive His peace anew. Do not lose heart—He has given you His peace, and nothing can take it away.
PRAYER
Lord Jesus, I thank You for the peace You have left with me. I receive Your peace today—not the world's temporary calm, but Your deep, abiding peace. I confess that my heart has often been troubled and afraid. Today, I release my fears to You. Let Your peace guard my heart and mind. When anxiety rises, let Your peace be stronger. When the storm rages, let Your peace be my anchor. I trust in the peace that only You can give. In the name of Jesus, my Prince of Peace, Amen.
Comments
Post a Comment