RUSHING GOD'S PROCESS

RUSHING GOD'S PROCESS

THE WAITING ROOM OF FAITH

Key Scripture

πŸ“– Psalm 27:14 (NKJV)
"Wait on the Lord; be of good courage, and He shall strengthen your heart; wait, I say, on the Lord!"

Introduction

There is a place that every believer must pass through at some point in their journey. It is a place that is often uncomfortable, confusing, and even agonizing. It is the waiting room of God. It is the space between the promise and its fulfillment, between the prayer and the answer, between the dream and its reality. It is the place where God's timing seems to move at a glacial pace while our hearts are racing with urgency. It is the place where we are tempted to take matters into our own hands, to rush ahead of God, and to force open doors that He has not yet opened.

The Psalmist David knew this place intimately. He was anointed as king as a young boy, but he spent years running from Saul, hiding in caves, and waiting for the promise to materialize. He wrote Psalm 27:14 from the depths of that waiting. He did not give us a quick fix; he gave us a command: "Wait on the Lord." And then he repeated it for emphasis: "Wait, I say, on the Lord!" He knew that waiting is not passive resignation; it is active trust. It is not a waste of time; it is a necessary part of God's process. It requires courage because it is hard. But the promise is that God will strengthen your heart as you wait.

This teaching is for everyone who is in the waiting room. It is for the one who has been praying for a breakthrough and sees no change. It is for the one who feels like God has forgotten them. It is for the one who is tempted to rush ahead and make things happen on their own. It is time to learn the sacred art of waiting on the Lord. It is time to trust that God is working even when you cannot see it. He is not late; He is never late. He is right on time.

Biblical Truth

Psalm 27:14 is a verse that has sustained countless believers through seasons of waiting. The context is a psalm of David, written during a time of intense pressure. He begins by declaring, "The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear?" (Psalm 27:1). He speaks of being surrounded by enemies, of war rising against him, and yet his confidence is in the Lord. Then, in the final verse, he issues this powerful exhortation to himself and to all who would read his words.

The Hebrew word for "wait" is qavah, which means to wait, to look for, to hope, or to expect. It carries the idea of eagerly anticipating something. It is the same word used in Isaiah 40:31: "But those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength." It is not a passive resignation; it is an active, expectant hope. It is like a watchman waiting for the dawn, knowing that the sun will rise. It is like a farmer waiting for the harvest, knowing that the seed will produce fruit. It is a confident waiting, not a despairing one.

The phrase "be of good courage" is chazaq, which means to be strong, to be courageous, to encourage oneself. Waiting requires courage because it is hard. It is easy to act; it is hard to wait. It is easy to rush ahead; it is hard to trust God's timing. David commands himself to be strong and courageous while he waits. This echoes Joshua's command to the Israelites as they prepared to enter the Promised Land: "Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go" (Joshua 1:9). Waiting is not a time for cowardice; it is a time for courage.

The promise is that God "shall strengthen your heart." The Hebrew word for "strengthen" is amats, which means to be strong, to prevail, or to confirm. God does not leave you weak and weary in the waiting; He strengthens you. He fortifies your inner man. He builds character, deepens faith, and produces perseverance. Waiting is not wasted time; it is transformational time. God is doing a work in you while you wait for Him to do a work for you.

David repeats the command: "Wait, I say, on the Lord!" The repetition is emphatic. It is as if David knows how hard it is to wait, so he says it twice. He is preaching to his own soul. He is reminding himself of what he knows to be true. There are times when we must preach to ourselves, telling our restless hearts, "Wait on the Lord. Do not rush. Do not panic. Do not take matters into your own hands. Wait."

The waiting room of God is seen throughout Scripture. Abraham waited twenty-five years for Isaac. Joseph waited thirteen years in slavery and prison before his dream came to pass. Moses waited forty years in the desert before he was called to deliver Israel. The Israelites waited four hundred years in Egypt. Jesus waited thirty years before beginning His public ministry. The early church waited ten days in the upper room before the outpouring of the Holy Spirit. Waiting is not an anomaly; it is the pattern of faith. God is not in a hurry, and He is always on time.

What We Often Get Wrong

The first and most common error is that we confuse God's delay with God's denial. We assume that if God has not answered our prayer or fulfilled His promise, He must have said no. But the Bible is clear: delays are not denials. God's timing is perfect, and His ways are higher than our ways (Isaiah 55:8-9). What feels like a delay to us is often God's preparation. He is working behind the scenes, orchestrating circumstances, and building character in us. Joseph did not interpret the delay of his dream as a denial; he held onto the vision even in prison.

Second, we take matters into our own hands. When God seems slow, we are tempted to help Him along. Abraham did this with Hagar, producing Ishmael—a decision that has had consequences for millennia. We do the same. We make impulsive decisions, enter relationships that are not of God, take jobs that are not His will, and manipulate circumstances to force our desired outcome. But anything we produce outside of God's timing is Ishmael—a counterfeit blessing that will cause strife and regret. We must learn to wait for Isaac, the child of promise.

Third, we believe that waiting is wasted time. Our culture values productivity and efficiency. We despise idleness. We feel guilty when we are not producing. But waiting is not idleness; it is activity of a different kind. It is the activity of trust, prayer, and preparation. It is the activity of allowing God to work in us while we wait for Him to work through us. Waiting is never wasted; it is always redemptive.

Fourth, we allow anxiety to replace faith. In the waiting, we become anxious. We worry about the future. We imagine worst-case scenarios. We lose sleep over what might happen. But anxiety is the opposite of faith. It is the clenched fist of fear, while waiting is the open hand of trust. Jesus asked, "Which of you by worrying can add one cubit to his stature?" (Matthew 6:27). Worry does not change the future; it only ruins the present.

Fifth, we isolate ourselves in the waiting. We withdraw from community because we feel misunderstood. We think, "No one knows what I'm going through." But isolation is the enemy's playground. We need community in the waiting. We need others to encourage us, pray for us, and remind us of God's faithfulness. The Israelites could not cross the Jordan alone; they needed each other. Waiting is not a solo journey; it is a communal one.

Sixth, we miss the lessons of the waiting room. God uses waiting to teach us things that cannot be learned any other way. He teaches us patience, humility, dependence, and perseverance. He shows us the idols of our hearts—the things we are clinging to too tightly. If we rush through the waiting, we miss the lessons. And if we miss the lessons, we will have to repeat the waiting.

God's Perspective

God views waiting as the soil of faith. Faith does not grow in the soil of ease; it grows in the soil of waiting. It is in the waiting that our faith is tested, refined, and strengthened. Peter writes, "That the genuineness of your faith, being much more precious than gold that perishes, though it is tested by fire, may be found to praise, honor, and glory at the revelation of Jesus Christ" (1 Peter 1:7). The waiting is the fire that purifies your faith. God is more concerned with your character than with your comfort.

God's perspective is that He is never late. He is the God of perfect timing. He is not bound by our calendars or clocks. He sees the end from the beginning. He knows exactly when the time is right. Ecclesiastes 3:11 says, "He has made everything beautiful in its time." Not in our time, but in His time. The beauty of the promise is revealed in the perfect timing of its fulfillment. Rushing would ruin the beauty. God is a craftsman, and craftsmen do not rush.

God sees waiting as the place of intimacy. When you are waiting, you are forced to depend on Him. You cannot rely on your own resources. You cannot manipulate the outcome. You have to trust Him. And in that dependence, intimacy is born. Moses spent forty years in the desert before the burning bush. It was in the desert that he met God. David spent years in the caves before the throne. It was in the caves that he wrote the psalms. The waiting room is the place where God reveals Himself to you in deeper ways.

God's perspective is that waiting produces endurance. James writes, "Let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing" (James 1:4). The word "patience" is hupomonΔ“, which means endurance, perseverance, and steadfastness. It is the ability to stay under the weight without collapsing. Waiting produces this endurance. It makes you strong. It makes you stable. It makes you mature. You cannot become a mature believer without learning to wait.

God sees waiting as part of the process, not the punishment. Many believers think that waiting is a punishment—that God is withholding something because they have done something wrong. But this is not true. Waiting is not punishment; it is preparation. It is not a sign of God's displeasure; it is a sign of His purpose. He is preparing you for what He has prepared for you. The waiting is not an interruption of the plan; it is part of the plan.

Practical Application

Adjust Your Expectation: Accept that waiting is a normal part of the Christian life. Stop being surprised when you have to wait. Stop assuming that God is slow or forgetful. Embrace waiting as a gift, not a burden. It is a gift of time to be with Him, to grow in Him, and to trust in Him.

Stay in the Word: During the waiting, immerse yourself in Scripture. Read the stories of others who waited—Abraham, Joseph, David, Moses. See how God was faithful to them. Let their testimonies strengthen your faith. Psalm 119:105 says, "Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path." In the waiting, God's Word will light your way.

Pray with Persistence: Do not stop praying just because you have not received an answer. Persistent prayer is the posture of waiting. Jesus told the parable of the persistent widow to teach us to "always pray and not give up" (Luke 18:1). Keep asking, keep seeking, keep knocking. The answer is coming.

Stay Connected to Community: Do not isolate yourself in the waiting. Stay connected to your church, your small group, and your trusted friends. Let them encourage you. Let them pray with you. Let them remind you of God's promises when your faith is weak. Proverbs 27:17 says, "As iron sharpens iron, so a man sharpens the countenance of his friend."

Keep Doing What Is in Front of You: Do not stop being faithful in the ordinary while you wait for the extraordinary. Abraham was faithful in his daily life while he waited for Isaac. Joseph was faithful in Potiphar's house and in the prison while he waited for the throne. Be faithful with what you have, where you are, with what you are doing. Faithfulness in the small things leads to greater things.

Trust the Process: Remind yourself daily that God is working. He is working in you, for you, and through you. Even when you cannot see it, He is moving. Trust the process. Trust the waiting. Trust the God who is behind it all.

Ask Yourself

Am I waiting on God, or am I rushing ahead of Him?

Do I believe that God's delay is God's denial?

Have I taken matters into my own hands to try to make things happen?

Am I learning the lessons of the waiting room, or am I just trying to escape it?

Do I trust that God's timing is perfect, even when it is not mine?

Reflection

Waiting is hard. It is one of the most difficult things we are ever called to do. It goes against every instinct of our flesh, every value of our culture, and every desire of our hearts. But waiting is essential. It is the path to the promise. It is the soil of faith. It is the forge of character. It is the crucible of intimacy. God is not late; He is working. He is not silent; He is speaking. He is not absent; He is present. He is working in the waiting. He is strengthening your heart. He is preparing you for the breakthrough. So wait. Be courageous. Trust Him. He will not fail you. The waiting will end. The promise will come. And when it does, you will look back and see that every moment of waiting was worth it. The harvest will be abundant. The victory will be sweet. And you will be stronger because you waited.

Prayer

Father, I confess that I am not good at waiting. I am impatient. I want answers now. I want breakthroughs now. I want fulfillment now. But I know that Your timing is perfect, and Your ways are higher than mine. Forgive me for the times I have rushed ahead of You. Forgive me for the times I have taken matters into my own hands. Forgive me for the times I have doubted Your goodness in the waiting. Today, I choose to wait on You. I wait with hope. I wait with expectation. I wait with trust. I believe that You are working in my waiting. I believe that You are strengthening my heart. I believe that Your promise will come to pass. Give me the courage to endure. Give me the patience to persevere. Give me the faith to trust. I wait on You, Lord. I wait. In Jesus' mighty name, Amen.

Declaration

I declare that I will wait on the Lord. I will not rush ahead of His timing. I will not take matters into my own hands. I will be courageous in the waiting, for the Lord is with me. He is strengthening my heart. He is working in me while I wait. My waiting is not wasted; it is preparation. My waiting is not punishment; it is purpose. I trust God's timing. I trust His process. I trust His plan. He is never late. He is always faithful. The promise is coming. The breakthrough is near. I will wait on the Lord, and I will receive His strength.

Concluding Scripture

πŸ“– Isaiah 40:31 (NKJV)
"But those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint."

Comments