GOD'S PURPOSE REQUIRES OUR OBEDIENCE

GOD'S PURPOSE REQUIRES OUR OBEDIENCE

THE DIVINE PARTNERSHIP

Key Scripture

📖 Jeremiah 29:11 (NKJV)
"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope."

📖 Ephesians 2:10 (NKJV)
"For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them."

Introduction

There is a profound truth that many believers struggle to grasp: God has a purpose for your life. It is not a vague, nebulous concept. It is not a distant dream. It is a specific, intentional, and meticulously crafted plan that God designed before the foundation of the world. Jeremiah 29:11 declares, "For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." The Hebrew word for "thoughts" is machashabah, which means plans, purposes, or designs. God has plans for you. Good plans. Purposeful plans. Plans that give you a future and a hope.

But here is the crucial truth that we often overlook: God's purpose requires our obedience. The plan is His, but the participation is ours. He has prepared good works for us to walk in, but we must walk in them. Ephesians 2:10 says, "For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them." The Greek word for "workmanship" is poiēma, from which we get the word "poem." We are God's masterpiece, His work of art. And He has created us for a purpose—good works that He prepared beforehand. But notice the final phrase: "that we should walk in them." We must walk. We must obey. We must step into the purpose He has prepared.

God's purpose is not automatic. It is not something that happens to us while we sit passively by. It requires our active participation. It requires our obedience. It requires our faith. It requires our willingness to step out, to trust, to follow, and to act. God has a plan, but He works through people who are willing to obey Him. He works through people who say, "Yes, Lord. I will follow You. I will do what You ask. I will walk in the good works You have prepared for me."

This teaching is for everyone who wants to discover and fulfill God's purpose for their life. It is for the one who has been waiting for God to do something while doing nothing themselves. It is for the one who has been passive, expecting God to drop their destiny into their lap. It is for the one who wants to understand the relationship between God's sovereignty and human responsibility. It is time to discover that God's purpose requires our obedience.

Biblical Truth

Jeremiah 29:11 and Ephesians 2:10 together provide a comprehensive biblical framework for understanding God's purpose and our role in fulfilling it. They reveal that God has a plan, but that plan is realized through our obedient participation.

Jeremiah 29:11 is one of the most quoted verses in all of Scripture. It is often printed on coffee mugs, framed on walls, and quoted in times of uncertainty. But it is crucial to understand the context. Jeremiah was writing to the Israelites who had been taken captive to Babylon. They were exiles in a foreign land. They had lost their homeland, their temple, and their freedom. They were discouraged, confused, and hopeless. False prophets were telling them that their captivity would be short, that they would soon return to Jerusalem. But Jeremiah delivered a different message. He told them that they would be in Babylon for seventy years. They were to settle down, build houses, plant gardens, marry, and multiply. They were to seek the welfare of the city where they were captive. And then he gave them this promise: "For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope."

The Hebrew word for "peace" is shalom, which means completeness, wholeness, welfare, and peace. God's thoughts toward His people were not thoughts of harm or destruction. They were thoughts of shalom. He had a plan for their well-being. He had a future for them. He had a hope for them. Even in their captivity, even in their exile, even in their suffering, God had not forgotten them. He had a purpose for them.

But notice the condition. In Jeremiah 29:12-13, God says, "Then you will call upon Me and go and pray to Me, and I will listen to you. And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart." The promise of a future and a hope was connected to their response. They had to call upon the Lord. They had to pray. They had to seek Him with all their heart. God's purpose required their participation.

Ephesians 2:10 expands on this truth. Paul has just explained salvation by grace through faith (Ephesians 2:8-9). Then he adds, "For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them." The Greek word for "workmanship" is poiēma, which means a work, a creation, or a masterpiece. It is the word from which we get "poem." We are God's poem. We are His work of art. He has crafted us with care, with intentionality, and with purpose. He has made us in Christ Jesus. He has given us a new identity. He has made us new creations (2 Corinthians 5:17).

And why did He create us? "For good works." We are not saved by good works, but we are saved for good works. We are not saved to sit; we are saved to serve. We are not saved to be idle; we are saved to be active. We are not saved to coast; we are saved to work. The Greek word for "good works" is ergon agathos, which means beneficial deeds, honorable actions, or righteous activities. God has prepared these works for us. The Greek word for "prepared beforehand" is proetoimazō, which means to prepare in advance, to make ready beforehand. Before you were born, before you were saved, before you even knew God, He had already prepared a path of good works for you to walk in.

But again, notice the condition: "that we should walk in them." The Greek word for "walk" is peripateō, which means to walk about, to live, to conduct oneself, or to order one's behavior. It is a present tense verb, indicating ongoing, continuous action. We are to walk in these good works. We are to live in them. We are to conduct ourselves according to them. We are to actively, deliberately, and continuously step into the purpose God has prepared for us. God's purpose is not automatic. It requires our obedience. It requires our action. It requires our walking.

The relationship between God's sovereignty and human responsibility is a mystery that we cannot fully comprehend, but the Bible clearly teaches both. God is sovereign. He has a plan. He knows the end from the beginning. He works all things according to the counsel of His will (Ephesians 1:11). But we are responsible. We must obey. We must believe. We must act. We must walk. God's sovereignty does not negate our responsibility; it establishes it. Because God is in control, we can trust Him. Because God has a plan, we can follow Him. Because God has prepared good works, we can walk in them.

The example of Israel is instructive. God promised Abraham that his descendants would inherit the Promised Land. But they had to go and possess it. They had to fight the battles. They had to obey God's commands. They had to trust His promises. The promise was God's; the possession was theirs. Similarly, God has promised us a future and a hope. But we must seek Him. We must obey Him. We must walk in the good works He has prepared.

The example of Jesus is our ultimate model. Jesus perfectly fulfilled the purpose of God for His life. He said, "My food is to do the will of Him who sent Me, and to finish His work" (John 4:34). He said, "I have glorified You on the earth. I have finished the work which You have given Me to do" (John 17:4). Jesus walked in obedience to the Father. He obeyed all the way to the cross. He did not shrink back. He did not give up. He did not deviate from the plan. He walked in the good works that the Father had prepared for Him. And because He obeyed, He fulfilled the purpose of God.

The relationship between obedience and blessing is woven throughout Scripture. God said to Joshua, "This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate in it day and night, that you may observe to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success" (Joshua 1:8). Obedience leads to blessing. Jesus said, "If you know these things, blessed are you if you do them" (John 13:17). It is not enough to know; we must do. It is not enough to hear; we must obey. It is not enough to believe; we must walk.

What We Often Get Wrong

The first and most common error is that we believe God's purpose is automatic. We think that because God has a plan, we do not need to do anything. We sit back and wait for God to fulfill His purpose in our lives, expecting Him to sovereignly orchestrate everything while we remain passive. But this is not biblical. God's purpose is not a train that we simply board; it is a path that we must walk. It is not a destination that we will automatically arrive at; it is a journey that we must undertake. God's purpose requires our obedience.

Second, we confuse grace with passivity. We are saved by grace, through faith, not by works (Ephesians 2:8-9). This is absolutely true. But we are saved for good works (Ephesians 2:10). Grace does not eliminate good works; it empowers them. Grace does not make obedience optional; it makes it possible. Grace does not mean we sit back and do nothing; it means we are set free to do what God has called us to do. We do not work to earn salvation, but we work because we have been saved.

Third, we believe that God's purpose is primarily about our comfort. We think that God's plan for our lives is to make us happy, to give us a comfortable life, and to fulfill all our dreams. But God's purpose is not about our comfort; it is about His glory. It is not about our happiness; it is about His kingdom. It is not about our dreams; it is about His will. God's purpose may take us through difficult paths. It may require sacrifice. It may involve suffering. But it is always good, because it is always for His glory and for our ultimate good.

Fourth, we believe that we can fulfill God's purpose in our own strength. We think that if we just try harder, work longer, and do more, we can accomplish what God has called us to do. But this is a recipe for burnout and failure. We cannot fulfill God's purpose in our own strength. We need the Holy Spirit. We need His power. We need His guidance. Jesus said, "I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing" (John 15:5). We must abide in Him. We must depend on Him. We must rely on His strength.

Fifth, we believe that God's purpose is a mystery we can never discover. We think that God is hiding His will from us, that He is playing a cosmic game of "Guess My Will," and that we will never figure it out. But this is not true. God has revealed His will in His Word. He has given us His Spirit to guide us. He has placed us in a community of believers to help us discern. He has given us gifts and passions and opportunities. God's purpose is not hidden; it is revealed to those who seek Him. He said, "You will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart" (Jeremiah 29:13).

Sixth, we believe that obedience is a one-time event. We think that if we make a big decision to follow God, we have fulfilled His purpose. But obedience is not a one-time event; it is a daily discipline. It is a lifestyle. It is a continuous walking in the good works He has prepared. We must obey today. And tomorrow. And the next day. We must walk in obedience every moment of every day. It is not a sprint; it is a marathon.

Seventh, we believe that God's purpose is about what we do rather than who we become. We focus on the tasks, the assignments, and the accomplishments. But God's purpose is primarily about our transformation. He is conforming us to the image of His Son (Romans 8:29). He is producing His fruit in us (Galatians 5:22-23). He is building our character. The good works He has prepared are not just things to do; they are opportunities to become. They are the means by which we grow in Christlikeness.

God's Perspective

God views His purpose as a partnership with His people. He does not impose His will on us as a tyrant. He invites us to participate in His plan as His children. He has prepared good works for us, but He waits for us to walk in them. He has a future and a hope for us, but He calls us to seek Him and obey Him. God's purpose is not something He does to us; it is something He does with us. It is a divine-human partnership. He is the sovereign Lord, and we are His willing servants.

God's perspective is that He has prepared everything in advance. Ephesians 2:10 says that God prepared good works beforehand. He has already done the heavy lifting. He has already laid the foundation. He has already provided the resources. He has already mapped out the journey. He has already secured the victory. Our job is not to create the purpose; it is to walk in it. Our job is not to figure it all out; it is to trust and obey. He has done His part. Now we must do ours.

God sees our obedience as an act of faith. When we obey God, we are demonstrating that we trust Him. We are saying, "I believe that Your plan is good. I believe that Your ways are higher than my ways. I believe that You know what is best. So I will obey, even when I do not understand." Obedience is not a lack of faith; it is the essence of faith. Faith is not just believing; it is acting on what we believe. Faith is obeying God, even when the path is unclear.

God's perspective is that obedience leads to blessing. He has promised that if we obey, we will be blessed. Not necessarily with material wealth or worldly success, but with His presence, His peace, and His purpose. Jesus said, "If you love Me, keep My commandments" (John 14:15). And He promised, "If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our home with him" (John 14:23). The blessing of obedience is intimacy with God. It is knowing Him and being known by Him.

God sees our obedience as a reflection of our love. Jesus said, "If you love Me, keep My commandments." Obedience is not about legalism; it is about love. We obey God not because we have to, but because we want to. We obey Him not out of fear, but out of love. We obey Him not to earn His favor, but because we have already received it. Our obedience is a response to His grace. It is a demonstration of our love for Him.

God's perspective is that He will complete what He started. Paul writes, "Being confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ" (Philippians 1:6). God is faithful. He will not abandon the work He has started. He will not leave His purpose unfulfilled. He will guide us, empower us, and sustain us. He will complete what He started. Our job is to obey, to trust, and to walk. His job is to finish what He began.

Practical Application

Seek God's Will: Do not be passive about discovering God's purpose for your life. Seek Him. Pray. Read His Word. Fast. Seek wise counsel. Ask God to reveal His will to you. He has promised that if you seek Him with all your heart, you will find Him (Jeremiah 29:13). He will guide you. He will show you the path.

Obey What You Know: You may not know everything about God's purpose for your life, but you can obey what you already know. You know you should love God. You know you should love others. You know you should forgive. You know you should serve. You know you should be honest. You know you should be faithful. Start there. Obey what you know, and God will reveal more.

Take the Next Step: Do not wait for the whole plan to be revealed. Take the next step. Walk in the good works that are right in front of you. Serve in your church. Help your neighbor. Give to those in need. Share your faith. Be faithful in the little things. As you take steps of obedience, God will open up the next step.

Trust God's Timing: God's purpose unfolds in His timing, not ours. Do not rush ahead. Do not become impatient. Trust that God knows what He is doing. His timing is perfect. He is never late. He is always right on time. Wait on Him. Trust Him. Obey Him. And He will bring His purpose to pass in His perfect time.

Embrace Accountability: You do not have to pursue God's purpose alone. Invite others to walk with you. Join a small group. Find a mentor. Ask trusted friends to pray for you and to hold you accountable. We are better together. We need one another to stay on the path.

Be Faithful in the Small Things: Jesus said, "He who is faithful in what is least is faithful also in much" (Luke 16:10). If you want to walk in God's big purpose for your life, be faithful in the small things. Be faithful in your daily devotions. Be faithful in your relationships. Be faithful in your work. Be faithful in your service. God will entrust you with more when you have proven faithful with little.

Persevere Through Trials: The path of God's purpose is not always easy. There will be obstacles, opposition, and trials. But do not give up. Do not turn back. Do not lose heart. God is with you. He will strengthen you. He will guide you. He will bring you through. The reward is worth the cost. The prize is worth the journey.

Ask Yourself

Am I actively seeking God's purpose for my life, or am I passive?

Am I obeying what I already know to be God's will?

Have I confused grace with passivity?

Am I taking steps of obedience, or am I waiting for everything to be revealed?

Do I trust God's timing, even when it is not my timing?

Am I being faithful in the small things?

Am I persevering through trials, or am I giving up?

Reflection

God has a purpose for your life. It is not a random, haphazard, meaningless existence. It is a carefully crafted, divinely ordained plan. He has prepared good works for you to walk in. He has a future and a hope for you. But His purpose requires your obedience. It requires your participation. It requires your faith. It requires your step. God is not going to force His purpose upon you. He invites you into it. He calls you to walk in it. He empowers you to fulfill it. But you must respond. You must obey. You must take the step. You must walk.

Do not be passive. Do not be idle. Do not sit back and wait for God to do everything. He has done His part. Now it is time for you to do yours. Seek Him. Trust Him. Obey Him. Walk in the good works He has prepared. Take the next step. Be faithful in the small things. Trust His timing. Persevere through trials. And you will discover that His purpose is good. His purpose is perfect. His purpose is for your good and for His glory. He has a future and a hope for you. Walk in it.

Prayer

Father, I thank You for the purpose You have for my life. I thank You that You have plans for me—plans of peace, not of evil, to give me a future and a hope. I thank You that I am Your workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which You prepared beforehand that I should walk in them. Forgive me for being passive. Forgive me for waiting when I should have been walking. Forgive me for expecting You to do everything while I did nothing. Today, I choose to obey. I choose to walk. I choose to seek You with all my heart. I choose to trust Your timing. I choose to be faithful in the small things. Help me to discern Your will. Help me to walk in the good works You have prepared for me. Give me the strength to persevere. Give me the faith to trust. Give me the courage to obey. I want to fulfill the purpose You have for my life. I want to finish the race. I want to hear You say, "Well done, good and faithful servant." In Jesus' mighty name, Amen.

Declaration

I declare that God has a purpose for my life. He has plans for me—plans of peace, not of evil, to give me a future and a hope. I am His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which He prepared beforehand that I should walk in them. I will not be passive. I will not be idle. I will seek Him with all my heart. I will obey what I already know. I will take the next step. I will trust His timing. I will be faithful in the small things. I will persevere through trials. I will walk in the good works He has prepared for me. I will fulfill the purpose He has for my life. God's purpose requires my obedience, and I will obey. I will walk. I will fulfill. I will finish. I will hear, "Well done, good and faithful servant."

Concluding Scripture

📖 Philippians 1:6 (NKJV)
"Being confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ."

A Final Word

God's purpose requires your obedience. He has a plan for your life, but He will not force it upon you. He invites you to participate. He calls you to walk. He empowers you to fulfill. Do not be passive. Do not be idle. Do not wait for everything to be revealed before you take a step. Seek Him. Trust Him. Obey Him. Walk in the good works He has prepared. Take the next step. Be faithful in the small things. Trust His timing. Persevere through trials. And you will discover that His purpose is good. His purpose is perfect. His purpose is for your good and for His glory. He has a future and a hope for you. Walk in it.

Comments