HOSEA & GOMER / GOD & ISRAEL

(Message by Tanny Keng)

0. Introduction

a) While the prophet Hosea lived out his message regarding Israel's relationship with God, other prophets also used the marriage metaphor.

b) Let's look at Hosea and his wife, Gomer and God with Israel.

1. Hosea & Gomer (Hosea 1:2)
 
i) God said to Hosea: “Go, take yourself a wife of harlotry, And children of harlotry, For the land has committed great harlotry, By departing from the Lord.” (Hosea 1:2 NKJV)
 
a) God & Israel (Jeremiah 2:2)
 
i) God said to Israel through Jeremiah: “I remember you, The kindness of your youth, The love of your betrothal, When you went after Me in the wilderness." (Jeremiah 2:2 NKJV)

ii) In a land not sown.

 
2. Hosea & Gomer (Hosea 1:3)

i) 3 "So he (Hosea) went and took Gomer the daughter of Diblaim, and she conceived and bore him a son." (Hosea 1:3 NKJV)

a) God & Israel (Ezekiel 16:8)

i) God said to Israel through Ezekiel: 8 “When I passed by you again and looked upon you, indeed your time was the time of love; so I spread My wing over you and covered your nakedness. Yes, I swore an oath to you and entered into a covenant with you, and you became Mine,” says the Lord God." (Ezekiel 16:8 NKJV)
 
3. Hosea & Gomer (Hosea 3:1)

i) God said to Hosea: "“Go again, love a woman who is loved by a lover and is committing adultery, just like the love of the Lord for the children of Israel, who look to other gods and love the raisin cakes of the pagans.” (Hosea 3:1 NKJV)

a) God & Israel (Jeremiah 5:7; Ezekiel 16:15)

i) God said to Israel through Jeremiah: 7 “How shall I pardon you for this? Your children have forsaken Me, And sworn by those that are not gods. When I had fed them to the full, Then they committed adultery, And assembled themselves by troops in the harlots’ houses. (Jeremiah 5:7 NKJV)

ii) God said to Israel through Ezekiel: 15 “But you trusted in your own beauty, played the harlot because of your fame, and poured out your harlotry on everyone passing by who would have it." (Ezekiel 16:15 NKJV)
 
4. Hosea & Gomer (Hosea 3:3-4)

i) "3 And I (Hosea) said to her (Gomer), “You shall stay with me many days; you shall not play the harlot, nor shall you have a man—so, too, will I be toward you.” 4 For the children of Israel shall abide many days without king or prince, without sacrifice or sacred pillar, without ephod or teraphim." (Hosea 3:3-4 NKJV)

a) God & Israel (Jeremiah 3:12)

i) God said to Israel through Jeremiah: "Return, backsliding Israel,’ says the Lord; ‘I will not cause My anger to fall on you. For I am merciful,’ says the Lord; ‘I will not remain angry forever. (Jeremiah 3:12 NKJV)
 
5. Hosea & Gomer (Hosea 3:5)

i) God said to Hosea: "5 Afterward the children of Israel shall return and seek the Lord their God and David their king. They shall fear the Lord and His goodness in the latter days." (Hosea 3:5 NKJV)

a) God & Israel (Ezekiel 16:60)

i) God said to Israel through Ezekiel:  60 “Nevertheless I will remember My covenant with you in the days of your youth, and I will establish an everlasting covenant with you." (Ezekiel 16:60 NKJV)



The End ...

Comments