MAKING CHOICES

(Message by Tanny Keng)

0. Introduction

a) All of us make hundreds of choices every day. Most choices have no right or wrong attached to them - like what you wear or what you eat. But we always face decisions that carry a little more weight. We don't want to do wrong, and we don't want to cause others to do wrong, so how can we make such decisions?

1. If I choose one course of action does it help my witness for Christ?

a) 1 Corinthians 9:19-22

i) 19 For though I am free from all men, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win the more; 20 and to the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might win Jews; to those who are under the law, as under the law, that I might win those who are under the law; 21 to those who are without law, as without law (not being without law toward God, but under law toward Christ), that I might win those who are without law; 22 to the weak I became as weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all men, that I might by all means save some. (1 Corinthians 9:19-22 NKJV)

2. If I choose one course of action am I motivated by a desire to help others to know Christ?

a) 1 Corinthians 9:23; 10:33

i) 23 Now this I do for the gospel’s sake, that I may be partaker of it with you. (1 Corinthians 9:23 NKJV)

ii) 33 just as I also please all men in all things, not seeking my own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved. (1 Corinthians 10:33 NKJV)

3. If I choose one course of action does it help me do my best?

a) 1 Corinthians 9:25

i) 25 And everyone who competes for the prize is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we for an imperishable crown. (1 Corinthians 9:25 NKJV)

4. If I choose one course of action is it against a specific command in Scripture, and would it thus cause me to sin?

a) 1 Corinthians 10:12

i) 12 Therefore let him who thinks he stands take heed lest he fall. (1 Corinthians 10:12 NKJV)

5. If I choose one course of action is it the best and most beneficial course of action?

a) 1 Corinthians 10:23, 33

i) 23 All things are lawful for me, but not all things are helpful; all things are lawful for me, but not all things edify. (1 Corinthians 10:23 NKJV)

ii) 33 just as I also please all men in all things, not seeking my own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved. (1 Corinthians 10:33 NKJV)

6. If I choose one course of action am I thinking only of myself, or do I truly care about the other person?

a) 1 Corinthians 10:24

i) 24 Let no one seek his own, but each one the other’s well-being. (1 Corinthians 10:24 NKJV)

7. If I choose one course of action am I acting lovingly or selfishly?

a) 1 Corinthians 10:28-31

i) 28 But if anyone says to you, “This was offered to idols,” do not eat it for the sake of the one who told you, and for conscience’ sake; for “the earth is the Lord’s, and all its fullness.”  29 “Conscience,” I say, not your own, but that of the other. For why is my liberty judged by another man’s conscience? 30 But if I partake with thanks, why am I evil spoken of for the food over which I give thanks? 31 Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. (1 Corinthians 10:28-31 NKJV)

8. If I choose one course of action does it glorify God?

a) 1 Corinthians 10:31

i) 31 Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. (1 Corinthians 10:31 NKJV)

9. If I choose one course of action will it cause someone else to sin?

a) 1 Corinthians 10:32

i) 32 Give no offense, either to the Jews or to the Greeks or to the church of God. (1 Corinthians 10:32 NKJV)


The End ...

Comments