The Law Forsaken, The Lord Sought

The Law Forsaken, The Lord Sought

Key Bible Texts

Proverbs 28:4 (KJV): "They that forsake the law praise the wicked: but such as keep the law contend with them."

Proverbs 28:5 (KJV): "Evil men understand not judgment: but they that seek the Lord understand all things."

What does it mean?

The first verse draws a clear line between those who abandon God's law and those who uphold it. Those who forsake the law praise the wicked—they not only ignore God's commands but also celebrate and affirm those who live in rebellion against Him. Their rejection of divine truth leads them to applaud evil. But those who keep the law contend with the wicked. They do not passively accept wickedness; they actively oppose it. This is not a call to violence but to faithful resistance—standing firm in truth, speaking out against injustice, and living in a way that confronts evil by example.

The second verse explains why evil men act the way they do: they understand not judgment. They lack true discernment and cannot comprehend God's justice or His ways. Their moral blindness leaves them unable to recognise right from wrong. But those who seek the Lord understand all things. This does not mean they know everything, but they have the key to true understanding—the fear of the Lord, which is the beginning of wisdom. When we seek God, He grants us discernment to navigate life, to judge rightly, and to perceive His will in every situation.

The Twist

The surprising connection between these two verses is that both deal with the contrast between those who reject God and those who seek Him. Those who forsake the law praise the wicked and understand nothing of judgment. Those who keep the law contend with the wicked and seek the Lord, gaining understanding. The twist is that the ones who praise the wicked are actually blind to the very thing they celebrate, while those who contend with the wicked are not fighting in anger but in wisdom. Another profound turn is that the understanding gained by seeking the Lord is not just intellectual knowledge but moral and spiritual insight—the ability to discern God's will and to judge rightly in every situation. And perhaps the deepest surprise is that the wicked, who think they are wise, are actually the ones who lack understanding, while those who humble themselves to seek the Lord are granted true wisdom.

What can I learn?

I learn that forsaking God's law leads to praising wickedness. If I drift from God's truth, I will begin to excuse, celebrate, or even imitate evil. I must guard my heart and remain anchored in His Word. I also learn that keeping the law requires contending with the wicked—not in a spirit of hostility but in a commitment to truth and righteousness. Furthermore, I discover that true understanding comes not from intellect alone but from seeking the Lord. When I seek Him, He grants me discernment to navigate complex situations and to judge rightly. Finally, I am reminded that wickedness leads to blindness, while seeking God leads to clarity and wisdom.

How does it apply to me?

Examine your relationship with God's law. Are you keeping it, or have you begun to drift from it? If you find yourself excusing or praising wickedness in any form, repent and return to God's truth. Then consider how you contend with the wicked. Do you stand firm in righteousness, or do you remain silent and complicit? Seek God's wisdom on when and how to speak truth and oppose evil. If you lack understanding or discernment in a situation, seek the Lord in prayer and in His Word. Trust that He will give you wisdom when you ask. And if you have been relying on your own intellect, humble yourself and seek Him.

Final Reflections

These two proverbs reveal the stark contrast between those who forsake the law and those who seek the Lord. The forsakers praise the wicked and lack understanding; the seekers contend with evil and gain wisdom. The path of wickedness leads to blindness, while the path of seeking God leads to light. May we be among those who keep the law, who contend with evil, and who seek the Lord with all our hearts. And may He grant us the understanding we need to walk wisely in every situation.

Prayer

Lord God, I thank You for Your truth, that those who forsake the law praise those who are wicked. I thank You that those who keep the law contend with the wicked. Cause me to be righteous, keep the law, and strive against the wicked. I thank You that evil men do not understand judgment, but they who seek the Lord understand all things. Cause me to seek after You, inherit understanding, and matters of judgment. Father, forgive me for the times I have drifted from Your law or remained silent in the face of wickedness. Anchor me in Your Word and give me the courage to stand for truth. I seek You today, Lord—grant me understanding, discernment, and wisdom to judge rightly in every matter. Let me not praise what You condemn, but contend for righteousness in love and truth. In Jesus' name, Amen.

Comments