GOD MAY CALL YOU BEYOND YOUR COMFORT ZONE

GOD MAY CALL YOU BEYOND YOUR COMFORT ZONE

THE CALL TO LEAVE

Key Scripture

📖 Matthew 16:24 (NKJV)
"Then Jesus said to His disciples, 'If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me.'"

📖 Hebrews 11:8 (NKJV)
"By faith Abraham obeyed when he was called to go out to the place which he would receive as an inheritance. And he went out, not knowing where he was going."

Introduction

There is a place where God's will and your comfort intersect. It is a place of peace, familiarity, and safety. It is the place where you know the terrain, you know the people, and you know what to expect. It is the place where you feel competent, confident, and in control. It is your comfort zone. And it is a good place—until God calls you to leave it.

The uncomfortable truth is that God rarely calls us to stay in our comfort zones. He calls us to leave them. He calls us to step out into the unknown. He calls us to venture into unfamiliar territory. He calls us to do things that are beyond our ability, beyond our experience, and beyond our resources. He calls us to follow Him into places where we cannot see the path, cannot predict the outcome, and cannot control the circumstances. He calls us beyond our comfort zone.

Jesus made this abundantly clear. He said, "If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me." The Greek word for "deny" is aparneomai, which means to deny utterly, to disown, or to renounce. The word for "take up" is airō, which means to lift up, to carry, or to bear. The word for "cross" is stauros, which refers to the Roman instrument of execution. The word for "follow" is akoloutheō, which means to follow, to accompany, or to be a disciple. Jesus is saying, "If you want to follow Me, you must deny yourself. You must take up your cross. You must follow Me. And following Me may lead you to places you never expected."

Abraham understood this. The writer of Hebrews tells us, "By faith Abraham obeyed when he was called to go out to the place which he would receive as an inheritance. And he went out, not knowing where he was going." The Greek word for "obeyed" is hypakouō, which means to listen, to heed, or to obey. The word for "go out" is exerchomai, which means to go out, to depart, or to leave. The word for "not knowing" is mē epistamai, which means not knowing, not understanding, or not being acquainted with. The word for "where" is pou, which means where, whither, or to what place. Abraham went out, not knowing where he was going. He left his comfort zone. He left his homeland. He left his family. He left everything he knew. And he went out, not knowing where he was going, because he trusted the One who called him.

This teaching is for everyone who has been called beyond their comfort zone. It is for the one who is in the process of leaving the familiar. It is for the one who has been called to do something that is beyond their ability. It is for the one who is afraid to step out in faith. It is for the one who needs to know that God's call often leads beyond the comfort zone.

Biblical Truth

Matthew 16:24 and Hebrews 11:8 together provide a powerful biblical framework for understanding that God may call us beyond our comfort zone. They reveal that following Jesus requires self-denial and cross-bearing, and that Abraham obeyed the call to go out, not knowing where he was going.

Matthew 16:24 is a foundational verse for discipleship. Jesus said, "If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me."

The Greek word for "desires" is thelō, which means to will, to wish, to desire, or to purpose. The word for "come after" is opisō, which means after, behind, or following. The word for "deny" is aparneomai, which means to deny utterly, to disown, or to renounce. It is the same word used in Matthew 26:34, where Jesus tells Peter, "Assuredly, I say to you that this night, before the rooster crows, you will deny Me three times." It is the same word used in Acts 3:13-14, where Peter says that the people "denied Him in the presence of Pilate" and "denied the Holy One and the Just." To deny yourself is to disown yourself. It is to renounce your rights, your preferences, your plans, and your desires. It is to say, "Not my will, but Yours be done."

The word for "take up" is airō, which means to lift up, to carry, or to bear. The word for "cross" is stauros, which refers to the Roman instrument of execution. The cross was not a burden to be carried; it was an instrument of death. To take up your cross is to embrace death. It is to die to self. It is to crucify the flesh. It is to put to death the old nature. It is to say, "I no longer live for myself. I live for Christ." The Apostle Paul wrote, "I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me" (Galatians 2:20).

The word for "follow" is akoloutheō, which means to follow, to accompany, or to be a disciple. It is a present tense verb, indicating ongoing action. We are to keep following. We are to keep obeying. We are to keep walking with Jesus. We are to keep going wherever He leads. And Jesus may lead us to places we never expected. He may lead us beyond our comfort zone.

Hebrews 11:8 expands on this truth. The writer says, "By faith Abraham obeyed when he was called to go out to the place which he would receive as an inheritance. And he went out, not knowing where he was going."

The Greek word for "faith" is pistis, which means faith, trust, or belief. The word for "obeyed" is hypakouō, which means to listen, to heed, or to obey. The word for "called" is kaleō, which means to call, to summon, or to invite. The word for "go out" is exerchomai, which means to go out, to depart, or to leave. The word for "place" is topos, which means a place, a location, or a position. The word for "inheritance" is klēronomia, which means an inheritance, a possession, or a heritage. The word for "not knowing" is mē epistamai, which means not knowing, not understanding, or not being acquainted with. The word for "where" is pou, which means where, whither, or to what place.

Abraham obeyed. He heard the call. He responded in faith. He went out. He left his homeland. He left his family. He left everything he knew. He left his comfort zone. And he went out, not knowing where he was going. He did not know the destination. He did not know the path. He did not know the obstacles. He did not know the outcome. But he knew the One who called him. And he trusted Him. He trusted His wisdom. He trusted His goodness. He trusted His faithfulness. He trusted His plan. And because he trusted, he obeyed. And because he obeyed, he became the father of many nations. And because he obeyed, he received the inheritance.

The principle of being called beyond the comfort zone is woven throughout Scripture. Noah was called to build an ark when it had never rained (Genesis 6). Moses was called to lead the Israelites out of Egypt when he was a stutterer and a fugitive (Exodus 3-4). Joshua was called to lead the people into the Promised Land when Moses was dead and the Jordan was flooded (Joshua 1). Gideon was called to deliver Israel when he was the least of his family (Judges 6). David was called to be king when he was a shepherd boy (1 Samuel 16). Esther was called to risk her life when she was a queen (Esther 4). Isaiah was called to preach when he was a man of unclean lips (Isaiah 6). Jeremiah was called to be a prophet when he was a youth (Jeremiah 1). Peter was called to preach at Pentecost when he had denied Christ (Acts 2). Paul was called to be an apostle when he was a persecutor of the church (Acts 9). The pattern is clear: God calls people beyond their comfort zone. He calls them to do things that are beyond their ability. He calls them to trust Him for things that are humanly impossible.

The example of Jesus is our ultimate model. Jesus did not stay in His comfort zone. He left the glory of heaven. He left the throne. He left the worship of angels. He came to earth as a baby. He lived in obscurity in Nazareth. He ministered to the outcast, the sinner, and the forgotten. He touched lepers. He healed the sick. He fed the hungry. He wept with the grieving. He washed dirty feet. He went to the cross. He died for the sins of the world. He did not stay in His comfort zone. He denied Himself. He took up His cross. He followed the Father. And He calls us to do the same.

What We Often Get Wrong

The first and most common error is that we believe God wants us to be comfortable. We think that if we are in God's will, we will be comfortable. We think that if we are following God, we will be safe. We think that if we are obeying God, we will be blessed with ease and prosperity. But this is a lie. God's will often leads us beyond our comfort zone. It often leads us into the unknown. It often leads us to do things that are hard, scary, and uncomfortable. God is not interested in our comfort. He is interested in our character. He is not interested in our ease. He is interested in our growth. He is not interested in our safety. He is interested in our faith.

Second, we believe that comfort is a sign of God's approval. We think that if we are comfortable, God must be pleased with us. And if we are uncomfortable, God must be displeased. But this is not true. Comfort is not a sign of God's approval. Discomfort is not a sign of God's disapproval. God often calls His children into discomfort. He calls them into the unknown. He calls them to trust Him. And He does this because He loves them. He does it because He wants to deepen their faith. He does it because He wants to grow their character. He does it because He wants to prepare them for something greater.

Third, we believe that we cannot do what God is calling us to do. We look at the call. We look at our abilities. We look at our resources. We look at our experience. And we conclude that we cannot do it. But this is a lie. God does not call the qualified. He qualifies the called. He does not call the equipped. He equips the called. He does not call the capable. He enables the called. Moses said, "I cannot speak." God said, "I will be with your mouth." Jeremiah said, "I am a youth." God said, "I will be with you." Peter said, "I am a sinful man." Jesus said, "Follow Me, and I will make you a fisher of men." God does not call us because we are able. He calls us because He is able.

Fourth, we believe that we can delay our obedience. We think that we can obey later. We think that we have plenty of time. We think that we can put off the call until a more convenient time. But obedience is not optional. It is not negotiable. It is not flexible. When God calls, we must respond. When God speaks, we must obey. When God leads, we must follow. Delayed obedience is still disobedience. We must obey immediately.

Fifth, we believe that we can control the outcome. We think that if we just plan well enough, work hard enough, and strategize effectively enough, we can determine the outcome. But we cannot. The outcome is in God's hands. Abraham went out, not knowing where he was going. He did not have a detailed roadmap. He did not have a strategic plan. He had a promise from God. And he trusted the promise. And he trusted the Promise Giver. And he obeyed.

Sixth, we believe that following God is safe. We think that if we follow God, we will be safe. We think that if we obey God, we will be protected. We think that if we trust God, we will be delivered from all harm. But this is not true. Following God is not safe. Following God may cost you your reputation. It may cost you your relationships. It may cost you your job. It may cost you your life. Jesus said, "If they persecuted Me, they will also persecute you" (John 15:20). He said, "In the world you will have tribulation" (John 16:33). He said, "For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it" (Matthew 16:25). Following God is not safe. But it is good.

Seventh, we believe that we have to know where we are going. We think that we need a detailed roadmap. We think that we need a clear path. We think that we need to see the entire journey before we take the first step. But Abraham went out, not knowing where he was going. He had no map. He had no compass. He had a promise. And he trusted the One who made the promise. We do not need to know where we are going. We need to know who is leading us.

God's Perspective

God views your comfort zone as a place of stagnation. It is a place where you are not growing. It is a place where you are not trusting. It is a place where you are not depending on Him. It is a place where you are not exercising faith. It is a place where you are not experiencing His power. God does not want you to stay in your comfort zone. He wants you to grow. He wants you to trust. He wants you to depend. He wants you to exercise faith. He wants you to experience His power.

God's perspective is that He is calling you beyond your comfort zone. He is calling you to do something that is beyond your ability. He is calling you to trust Him for something that is humanly impossible. He is calling you to step out into the unknown. He is calling you to leave the familiar. He is calling you to follow Him. He is calling you. Will you answer?

God sees your comfort zone as a place of danger. It is dangerous because it is easy to become complacent. It is dangerous because it is easy to become self-sufficient. It is dangerous because it is easy to forget God. When you are comfortable, you do not need God. When you are comfortable, you do not pray. When you are comfortable, you do not trust. When you are comfortable, you do not grow. God does not want you to be comfortable. He wants you to be dependent. He wants you to be faithful. He wants you to be fruitful.

God's perspective is that He will be with you as you step out. You do not have to be afraid. You do not have to be anxious. You do not have to be worried. He will be with you. He will guide you. He will provide for you. He will protect you. He will strengthen you. He will sustain you. He will never leave you nor forsake you (Hebrews 13:5). He is with you. He is for you. He is in you. You are not alone. You are not abandoned. You are not forsaken.

God sees your comfort zone as a place of missed opportunity. When you stay in your comfort zone, you miss the opportunity to see God work. You miss the opportunity to experience God's power. You miss the opportunity to grow in faith. You miss the opportunity to glorify God. You miss the opportunity to be a blessing to others. You miss the opportunity to receive the inheritance. God does not want you to miss the opportunity. He wants you to step out. He wants you to trust. He wants you to obey. He wants you to follow.

God's perspective is that the reward is worth it. Abraham left his comfort zone. He went out, not knowing where he was going. And because he obeyed, he became the father of many nations. He became a blessing to the entire world. He received the inheritance. He heard, "Well done, good and faithful servant." The reward is worth it. The cost is worth it. The sacrifice is worth it. The comfort zone is not worth it. Follow God. Step out. Trust Him. Obey Him. And receive the reward.

Practical Application

Identify Your Comfort Zone: Take an honest inventory of your life. Where are you comfortable? Where are you safe? Where are you in control? Where are you self-sufficient? What is your comfort zone? Identify it. Name it. Then ask God, "Are You calling me beyond this?"

Listen for His Call: God is speaking. He is calling. He is inviting. Are you listening? Are you paying attention? Are you attentive to His voice? Spend time in His Word. Spend time in prayer. Spend time in worship. Be still. Be quiet. Listen for His voice. He is calling you beyond your comfort zone. Can you hear Him?

Trust Him with the Unknown: You do not need to know where you are going. You need to know who is leading you. Abraham did not know where he was going. But he knew who was leading him. He knew who had called him. He knew who was with him. He trusted Him. You can trust Him too. He is faithful. He is good. He is trustworthy. Trust Him with the unknown.

Take the First Step: You do not have to see the entire path. You just have to take the first step. You do not have to know the whole journey. You just have to obey the first command. You do not have to have all the answers. You just have to follow the One who does. Take the first step. Then the next. Then the next. And watch God do what only He can do.

Deny Yourself: Following Jesus requires self-denial. You cannot follow Him if you are clinging to your own will, your own preferences, and your own plans. You must deny yourself. You must take up your cross. You must die to self. You must say, "Not my will, but Yours be done." Deny yourself. Follow Him.

Hold Your Plans with Open Hands: You may have plans. You may have dreams. You may have a vision for your future. But hold them with open hands. Submit them to God. Say, "Lord, this is what I want to do. But if You want me to do something different, I am willing. If You want me to go somewhere else, I am ready. If You want me to change my plans, I am open. Your will be done." Hold your plans with open hands.

Trust God with the Outcome: You do not have to control the outcome. You do not have to manipulate the results. You do not have to force the blessing. Trust God with the outcome. He will do what He has promised. He will fulfill His Word. He will bring the blessing. He will bring the breakthrough. He will bring the inheritance. Trust Him. He is faithful.

Ask Yourself

What is my comfort zone?

Is God calling me beyond my comfort zone?

Am I willing to leave my comfort zone?

Am I trusting God with the unknown?

Have I taken the first step of obedience?

Am I denying myself and taking up my cross?

Am I holding my plans with open hands?

Am I trusting God with the outcome?

Reflection

God may call you beyond your comfort zone. This is the truth. This is the warning. This is the invitation. He may call you to leave the familiar. He may call you to step out into the unknown. He may call you to do something that is beyond your ability. He may call you to trust Him for something that is humanly impossible. He may call you. Will you answer? Will you obey? Will you follow?

If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me. This is the call. This is the invitation. This is the command. Deny yourself. Take up your cross. Follow Jesus. He may lead you to places you never expected. He may lead you to the unknown. He may lead you beyond your comfort zone. But He will never lead you astray. He will never abandon you. He will never forsake you. He will be with you. Follow Him.

By faith Abraham obeyed when he was called to go out to the place which he would receive as an inheritance. And he went out, not knowing where he was going. This is the example. This is the pattern. This is the invitation. Abraham obeyed. He went out. He did not know where he was going. But he trusted the One who called him. He trusted His wisdom. He trusted His goodness. He trusted His faithfulness. He trusted His plan. And because he trusted, he obeyed. And because he obeyed, he received the inheritance. You can do the same. Trust God. Obey God. Follow God. Step out beyond your comfort zone. And receive the inheritance.

So identify your comfort zone. Listen for His call. Trust Him with the unknown. Take the first step. Deny yourself. Hold your plans with open hands. Trust God with the outcome. And you will discover that when you step out beyond your comfort zone, when you trust God with the unknown, when you obey His call, you will experience His power. You will see His faithfulness. You will grow in your faith. You will receive the inheritance. You will hear, "Well done, good and faithful servant." God may call you beyond your comfort zone. Answer the call.

Prayer

Father, I confess that I have been comfortable. I have been safe. I have been in control. I have been self-sufficient. I have been clinging to my comfort zone. Forgive me. Today, I choose to step out. I choose to leave my comfort zone. I choose to trust You with the unknown. I choose to deny myself. I choose to take up my cross. I choose to follow You. I do not know where You are leading me. But I know who is leading me. I trust You. I trust Your wisdom. I trust Your goodness. I trust Your faithfulness. I trust Your plan. Help me to take the first step. Help me to obey. Help me to follow. I will not stay in my comfort zone. I will step out. I will trust You. I will follow You. In Jesus' mighty name, Amen.

Declaration

I declare that God may call me beyond my comfort zone. I will not stay in my comfort zone. I will deny myself. I will take up my cross. I will follow Jesus. I will trust God with the unknown. I will step out in faith. I will obey His call. I will leave the familiar. I will go where He leads. I will do what He commands. I will trust Him with the outcome. By faith Abraham obeyed when he was called to go out to the place which he would receive as an inheritance. And he went out, not knowing where he was going. I will do the same. I will obey. I will go out. I will trust the One who called me. I will receive the inheritance. I will hear, "Well done, good and faithful servant." I will step out beyond my comfort zone. I will trust God. I will follow Him. I will not stay in my comfort zone. I will go. I will obey. I will follow. I will trust. I will receive.

Concluding Scripture

📖 Hebrews 11:8 (NKJV)
"By faith Abraham obeyed when he was called to go out to the place which he would receive as an inheritance. And he went out, not knowing where he was going."

Comments