CHOOSE THE WAY OF ESCAPE

CHOOSE THE WAY OF ESCAPE

THE WAY OF ESCAPE

Key Scripture

📖 1 Corinthians 10:13 (NKJV)
“No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it.”

📖 James 1:12 (NKJV)
“Blessed is the man who endures temptation; for when he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him.”

Introduction

Temptation is not a sign that you are abandoned by God. It is not proof that you are weak, worthless, or disqualified. Temptation is common to humanity. Every believer faces it. Even Jesus was tempted, yet without sin. The question is not whether temptation will come. The question is what you will do when it comes. Will you entertain it? Will you surrender to it? Will you rationalize it? Or will you choose the way of escape that God has already provided?

The Apostle Paul writes to the Corinthians with pastoral clarity and divine assurance. He reminds them that no temptation is unique. Others have faced the same pressure. But more importantly, God is faithful. He will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able. And with every temptation, He makes a way of escape. The Greek word for “way of escape” is ekbasis, which means an exit, a way out, or an outcome. God does not leave you trapped. He provides a door. But you must choose to walk through it.

James adds the promise of reward. “Blessed is the man who endures temptation; for when he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life.” Temptation is not only a danger; it is an opportunity. When you endure it by God’s grace, you are approved. You are refined. You are strengthened. And a crown awaits—the crown of life, promised to those who love Him.

This teaching is for everyone who is facing temptation. It is for the one who feels trapped. It is for the one who has fallen and feels disqualified. It is for the one who wants to resist but does not know how. It is for the one who needs to know that God has provided a way of escape. It is time to stop making excuses. It is time to stop entertaining sin. It is time to choose the way of escape.

Biblical Truth

1 Corinthians 10:13 and James 1:12 together reveal God’s faithfulness in temptation and the reward for those who endure.

1 Corinthians 10:13 is one of the most practical and hopeful promises in Scripture. Paul writes, “No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man.” The Greek word for “temptation” is peirasmos, which can mean temptation to sin or a trial that tests faith. The word for “common” is anthrōpinos, meaning human, belonging to humanity. Paul is saying, “You are not alone. What you are facing is not unique. Others have faced it. Others have overcome it. This is not beyond human experience.”

Then Paul declares, “But God is faithful.” This is the foundation. The issue is not your strength; it is God’s faithfulness. The Greek word for “faithful” is pistos, meaning trustworthy, reliable, and true. God does not abandon His children in temptation. He does not set them up for failure. He is faithful.

Paul continues, “Who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able.” The Greek word for “allow” is eaō, meaning to permit or to let. God sets a limit. He knows your capacity. He knows your weakness. He knows what you can bear—not in your own strength, but by His grace. He will not permit the temptation to exceed the grace available.

Then comes the promise: “But with the temptation will also make the way of escape.” The Greek word for “make” is poieō, meaning to do, to create, or to provide. The word for “way of escape” is ekbasis, meaning an exit, a way out, or a successful outcome. God does not merely sympathize with you; He provides a route. The escape may be fleeing. It may be confessing. It may be saying no. It may be removing yourself from the situation. It may be calling for help. It may be turning to Scripture. But there is always a way.

The purpose is “that you may be able to bear it.” The Greek word for “bear” is hypopherō, meaning to endure, to bear up under, or to carry through. God’s goal is not always to remove the temptation instantly, but to give you the strength to endure it without sinning. Sometimes He calms the storm. Sometimes He strengthens the sailor.

James 1:12 adds the reward: “Blessed is the man who endures temptation; for when he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him.”

The Greek word for “blessed” is makarios, meaning happy, fortunate, or blessed. The word for “endures” is hypomenō, meaning to remain under, to persevere, or to endure. The word for “approved” is dokimos, meaning tested, proven, or approved after testing. The word for “crown” is stephanos, the victor’s crown, not a royal diadem. The crown of life is the reward for those who love God and endure.

Temptation is not sin. Jesus was tempted, yet without sin. Temptation becomes sin only when we entertain it, embrace it, and act on it. Endurance is possible. The crown is real. And God is faithful.

What We Often Get Wrong

First, we believe temptation is sin. It is not. Temptation is an invitation to sin, not sin itself. Jesus was tempted in all points as we are, yet without sin. You are not guilty because you were tempted. You are guilty only if you yield.

Second, we believe God tempts us. James 1:13 says, “Let no one say when he is tempted, ‘I am tempted by God’; for God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does He Himself tempt anyone.” God tests faith, but He does not tempt to sin. The enemy tempts. The flesh tempts. The world tempts. God provides escape.

Third, we believe the way of escape is always removal. Sometimes God removes the temptation. Sometimes He removes us from it. But sometimes He leaves us in the situation and gives us strength to endure. The escape may be endurance, not evacuation.

Fourth, we believe we are unique. We say, “No one understands what I am facing.” But Paul says it is common to man. Others have faced it. Others have overcome. You are not alone.

Fifth, we believe we can handle temptation alone. Isolation is the enemy’s playground. God often provides escape through confession, accountability, prayer, and the body of Christ. Pride says, “I can handle this.” Humility says, “I need help.”

Sixth, we believe the escape is automatic. God provides the way, but we must choose it. The exit exists, but we must walk through it. The door is open, but we must leave the room. Grace is available, but we must receive it.

Seventh, we believe failure disqualifies us forever. If you fall, God’s mercy is still available. Confess, repent, and return. The righteous may fall seven times and rise again. Do not let shame keep you from the way of escape.

God’s Perspective

God sees temptation as a moment of decision, not a moment of condemnation. He is not waiting to punish you. He is waiting to help you. He is faithful. He has set a limit. He has provided an exit. He is not disappointed in you for being tempted. He is ready to strengthen you.

God’s perspective is that He is faithful. Your feelings may say He is distant. Your circumstances may say He is silent. But He is faithful. He will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able. He knows your frame. He remembers that you are dust. He will not crush you.

God sees the way of escape as an act of His love. He does not leave you trapped. He does not abandon you in the moment of pressure. He provides a way out. It may be narrow. It may be humble. It may be costly. But it is there. Look for it. Take it.

God’s perspective is that endurance leads to reward. The crown of life is not for those who never face temptation. It is for those who endure it. The testing of your faith produces patience, character, and hope. God is not wasting your struggle. He is refining you.

God sees your weakness as an opportunity for grace. Paul pleaded with God to remove his thorn, but God said, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” In temptation, you discover that you cannot trust yourself, but you can trust God. His grace is enough.

Practical Application

Identify Your Escape Routes. Ask God to show you the way of escape in your specific temptation. Is it leaving the room? Ending the conversation? Confessing to a trusted friend? Opening your Bible? Praying immediately? The escape is often simple, but it must be taken.

Flee Immediately. Do not negotiate with temptation. Do not entertain it. Do not rationalize it. Joseph fled from Potiphar’s wife. Paul says, “Flee sexual immorality.” “Flee youthful lusts.” Sometimes the most spiritual thing you can do is run.

Pray Before the Temptation Comes. Jesus taught us to pray, “Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one.” Pray daily. Ask God for strength before the pressure comes. Build your spiritual defenses in the calm, so you are ready in the storm.

Fill Your Mind with Scripture. Jesus resisted the devil in the wilderness with the Word of God. When temptation comes, your mind needs a ready sword. Memorize Scripture. Meditate on it. Speak it out loud. The Word is your weapon.

Bring It into the Light. Secret temptation grows in darkness. Confess your struggle to a trusted believer. James 5:16 says, “Confess your trespasses to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed.” Accountability breaks the power of secrecy.

Remove the Trigger. If your phone causes you to stumble, remove the app. If a relationship leads you into sin, set boundaries. If a place tempts you, avoid it. Be ruthless with sin. Cut off the occasion.

Keep Your Eyes on the Crown. James says the one who endures will receive the crown of life. The pleasure of sin is temporary. The crown is eternal. Choose the reward. Choose the crown. Choose the way of escape.

If You Fall, Repent Quickly. Do not wallow in shame. Do not hide. Run to Jesus. Confess. Receive forgiveness. Get back up. The way of escape is still open. Mercy is still available.

Ask Yourself

What temptation am I facing right now?

Have I been entertaining it instead of fleeing?

What is the way of escape God has provided?

Am I trying to resist in my own strength?

Do I believe God is faithful in my temptation?

Am I hiding my struggle, or am I bringing it into the light?

Am I keeping my eyes on the crown of life?

If I fall, will I repent and return?

Reflection

Temptation is not a dead end. God has placed an exit sign in every trial. It may not be the exit you wanted. It may not be the easy exit. It may require humility. It may require confession. It may require leaving something behind. But it is there. God is faithful. He has not abandoned you. He has not set you up for failure. He has provided a way of escape.

The enemy wants you to believe you are trapped. He wants you to believe you are unique. He wants you to believe you are beyond help. But he is a liar. No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to man. God is faithful. He will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able. With the temptation, He will also make the way of escape.

Choose the way of escape. Do not entertain the temptation. Do not negotiate with sin. Do not delay. The door is open. Walk through it. And when you endure, you will be approved. When you endure, you will be blessed. When you endure, you will receive the crown of life. The crown is worth it. The reward is worth it. Jesus is worth it. Choose the way of escape.

Prayer

Father, I thank You that You are faithful. I thank You that no temptation has overtaken me except what is common to man. I thank You that You will not allow me to be tempted beyond what I am able. I thank You that with every temptation, You provide a way of escape. Forgive me for the times I have entertained temptation. Forgive me for the times I have rationalized sin. Forgive me for the times I have tried to resist in my own strength. Today, I choose the way of escape. Show me the exit. Give me the courage to take it. Fill me with Your Word. Surround me with godly accountability. Help me to endure. Help me to keep my eyes on the crown of life. If I fall, help me to repent quickly and return to You. I trust Your faithfulness. I trust Your grace. I trust Your provision. In Jesus’ mighty name, Amen.

Declaration

I declare that God is faithful. No temptation has overtaken me except what is common to man. God will not allow me to be tempted beyond what I am able. With every temptation, He provides a way of escape. I will choose the way of escape. I will not entertain temptation. I will not negotiate with sin. I will not rationalize disobedience. I will flee. I will pray. I will fill my mind with Scripture. I will bring my struggle into the light. I will remove the triggers. I will keep my eyes on the crown of life. I will endure. I will persevere. I will overcome. I am blessed because I endure temptation. When I am approved, I will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him. I love Him. I will endure. I will choose the way of escape. I will overcome by the blood of the Lamb and the word of my testimony. I will not be defeated. I will not be disqualified. I will choose the way of escape. And I will receive the crown.

Concluding Scripture

📖 1 Corinthians 10:13 (NKJV)
“No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it.”

Comments