DON'T ABANDON YOUR CALLING
THE WORK GOD PREPARED
Key Scripture
📖 Ephesians 2:10 (NKJV)
"For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them."
📖 Nehemiah 6:3 (NKJV)
"So I sent messengers to them, saying, 'I am doing a great work, so that I cannot come down. Why should the work cease while I leave it and go down to you?'"
Introduction
There is a calling on your life. It is not a mistake. It is not an afterthought. It is not a random assignment. It is a divine purpose, prepared by God before the foundation of the world. You were created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that you should walk in them. You have a great work to do. You have a holy assignment to fulfill. You have a race to run. You have a wall to build. And the enemy of your soul will do everything in his power to get you to abandon it.
Nehemiah understood this. He was a cupbearer to the king of Persia, but God had placed a burden on his heart to rebuild the broken walls of Jerusalem. He left the comfort of the palace, traveled to Jerusalem, inspected the ruins, and rallied the people to rebuild. But as soon as the work began, opposition arose. Sanballat, Tobiah, and Geshem mocked him, threatened him, and plotted against him. They tried to distract him. They tried to lure him away from the work. They tried to get him to come down from the wall. But Nehemiah refused. He said, "I am doing a great work, so that I cannot come down. Why should the work cease while I leave it and go down to you?"
The Hebrew word for "great" is gadol, which means great, large, or important. The word for "work" is melakhah, which means work, business, or employment. Nehemiah was not just building a wall; he was doing the work of God. He was fulfilling his calling. He was walking in the good works that God had prepared for him. And he would not be distracted. He would not be deterred. He would not abandon his post.
The Apostle Paul declared, "For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them." The Greek word for "workmanship" is poiēma, from which we get the word "poem." You are God's masterpiece. You are His work of art. You are His poem. He has crafted you with care, with intentionality, and with purpose. And He has created you for a purpose—good works that He prepared beforehand. Before you were born, before you were saved, before you even knew God, He had already prepared a path of good works for you to walk in. He had already mapped out your purpose. He had already assigned your mission.
This teaching is for everyone who has been called by God. It is for the one who is in the middle of the work and is tempted to quit. It is for the one who has been distracted by the enemy's tactics. It is for the one who has been discouraged by opposition. It is for the one who needs to be reminded that their calling is great and worth fighting for. It is time to refuse to come down. It is time to stay focused on the work. It is time to not abandon your calling.
Biblical Truth
Ephesians 2:10 and Nehemiah 6:3 together provide a powerful biblical framework for understanding the importance of staying faithful to your calling. They reveal that you are God's workmanship, created for good works He prepared beforehand, and that you must not abandon the great work He has given you.
Ephesians 2:10 is a verse of profound significance. Paul writes, "For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them."
The Greek word for "workmanship" is poiēma, which means a work, a creation, or a masterpiece. It is the word from which we get "poem." You are God's poem. You are His work of art. You are His masterpiece. He has crafted you with care, with intentionality, and with purpose. He has made you in Christ Jesus. He has given you a new identity. He has made you a new creation (2 Corinthians 5:17).
The phrase "created in Christ Jesus" reveals the sphere of your creation. You are not just created; you are re-created. You are not just made; you are remade. You are a new creation in Christ. Old things have passed away. All things have become new. You are not who you used to be. You are not defined by your past. You are defined by your new identity in Christ.
The phrase "for good works" reveals the purpose of your creation. You were not created for nothing. You were not created to sit. You were not created to be idle. You were created for good works. You were created to serve. You were created to bless. You were created to make a difference. You were created to advance the Kingdom of God. You were created to glorify God. The Greek word for "good works" is ergon agathos, which means beneficial deeds, honorable actions, or righteous activities.
The phrase "which God prepared beforehand" reveals the plan of your creation. The Greek word for "prepared beforehand" is proetoimazō, which means to prepare in advance, to make ready beforehand. Before you were born, before you were saved, before you even knew God, He had already prepared a path of good works for you to walk in. He had already mapped out your purpose. He had already assigned your mission. He had already given you your gifts. You are not an afterthought. You are not a plan B. You are part of God's eternal, sovereign, purposeful plan.
The phrase "that we should walk in them" reveals the participation of your creation. You are not a passive recipient of God's will. You are an active participant. You must walk. You must obey. You must step into the purpose He has prepared. You must use the gifts He has given. You must fulfill the mission He has assigned. You must walk in the good works He has prepared. You must not abandon your calling.
Nehemiah 6:3 is a powerful example of someone who refused to abandon his calling. The context is critical. Nehemiah had returned to Jerusalem to rebuild the walls. The work was progressing, but the enemies of God—Sanballat, Tobiah, and Geshem—were furious. They mocked the builders. They threatened them. They plotted against them. They tried to lure Nehemiah away from the work. They said, "Come, let us meet together among the villages in the plain of Ono" (Nehemiah 6:2). But Nehemiah knew they were planning to harm him. And he responded, "I am doing a great work, so that I cannot come down. Why should the work cease while I leave it and go down to you?"
The Hebrew word for "great" is gadol, which means great, large, or important. The word for "work" is melakhah, which means work, business, or employment. Nehemiah was not just building a wall; he was doing the work of God. He was fulfilling his calling. He was walking in the good works that God had prepared for him. And he would not be distracted. He would not be deterred. He would not abandon his post.
The phrase "I cannot come down" is crucial. Nehemiah was not being rude. He was not being arrogant. He was being focused. He was being intentional. He was being faithful. He knew that if he left the work, the work would cease. He knew that if he came down from the wall, the enemy would win. He knew that if he abandoned his calling, he would disobey God. So he stayed. He stayed on the wall. He stayed on the work. He stayed on the mission. And because he stayed, the wall was rebuilt. Because he stayed, the people were protected. Because he stayed, the enemies were defeated.
The principle of staying faithful to your calling is woven throughout Scripture. Noah built the ark for 120 years despite mockery and opposition (Genesis 6). Abraham left his homeland and went to a land God would show him (Genesis 12). Moses led the Israelites out of Egypt and through the wilderness for 40 years (Exodus 3-40). David waited years in caves before he became king (1 Samuel 16-2 Samuel 5). Jesus endured the cross for the joy that was set before Him (Hebrews 12:2). The pattern is clear: the people of God stay faithful to their calling. They do not abandon the work. They do not come down from the wall. They do not quit. They do not give up. They press on. They endure. They finish.
The example of Jesus is our ultimate model. Jesus did not abandon His calling. He said, "My food is to do the will of Him who sent Me, and to finish His work" (John 4:34). He said, "I have glorified You on the earth. I have finished the work which You have given Me to do" (John 17:4). Jesus did not come down from the cross. He did not abandon His mission. He did not quit. He finished the work. And He calls us to do the same.
What We Often Get Wrong
The first and most common error is that we believe our calling is about us. We think that our calling is for our benefit, our comfort, our fulfillment. We think that if it is not making us happy, it must not be from God. But our calling is not about us. It is about God. It is about His glory. It is about His Kingdom. It is about His purposes. We were created for good works, not for our own gratification. We were created to serve, not to be served. We were created to give, not to receive. We must not abandon our calling because it is hard or uncomfortable.
Second, we get distracted by the enemy's tactics. The enemy will do everything he can to get us to abandon our calling. He will mock us. He will threaten us. He will lure us. He will distract us. He will discourage us. He will try to get us to come down from the wall. But we must not be distracted. We must not be deterred. We must not be discouraged. We must stay focused on the work. We must stay on the wall.
Third, we compare our calling to others. We look at others who seem to have more prominent callings, more visible platforms, more significant ministries, and we feel inadequate. We look at others who seem to have less, and we feel superior. But comparison is a trap. God has given each of us a unique calling. He has given each of us a unique work. We are not called to be someone else. We are called to be ourselves. We are called to fulfill the specific purpose God has for us. Do not compare. Run your own race. Build your own wall. Fulfill your own calling.
Fourth, we give up when the work gets hard. The work of God is not always easy. It is not always smooth. It is not always comfortable. There will be opposition. There will be obstacles. There will be setbacks. There will be delays. But we must not give up. We must not quit. We must not abandon our post. The work is great. The calling is holy. The reward is worth it. We must press on.
Fifth, we listen to the wrong voices. The enemy will send messengers to lure us away. He will use people to distract us. He will use circumstances to discourage us. He will use our own thoughts to deceive us. We must be discerning. We must test every voice against the Word of God. We must listen to the voice of the Shepherd. We must not listen to the voice of the stranger. We must not come down from the wall.
Sixth, we believe that we can come back later. We think that we can abandon our calling for a while and then return to it later. We think that we can take a break, take a detour, take a vacation, and then come back to the work. But the enemy knows that if he can get us down from the wall, we may never come back. We may get comfortable on the ground. We may get entangled in the affairs of this life. We may get trapped in the enemy's snare. Do not come down. Not even for a moment. Stay on the wall. Stay on the work. Stay on the mission.
Seventh, we forget the greatness of the work. Nehemiah said, "I am doing a great work." He did not say, "I am doing a small work." He did not say, "I am doing an insignificant work." He did not say, "I am doing a work that no one notices." He said, "I am doing a great work." And we are doing a great work. We are building the Kingdom of God. We are advancing the Gospel. We are rescuing souls from eternal destruction. We are making disciples of all nations. There is no greater work. There is no higher calling. We must not abandon it.
God's Perspective
God views your calling as a divine assignment. He has given you a specific work to do. He has prepared good works for you to walk in. He has equipped you with gifts, talents, resources, and opportunities. He has placed you in a specific time and a specific place for a specific purpose. Your calling is not an accident. It is not a random assignment. It is a divine appointment. God has called you. He has commissioned you. He has sent you. Do not abandon your calling.
God's perspective is that He is the one who prepared the work. You did not create your calling. You did not design your purpose. You did not choose your mission. God did. He prepared it beforehand. He mapped it out. He planned it. He orchestrated it. Your calling is not your idea; it is His idea. It is not your plan; it is His plan. It is not your work; it is His work. And He will not abandon the work He started. He will complete it. He will finish it. He will bring it to pass.
God sees your opposition as a sign that you are on the right track. The enemy does not oppose those who are doing nothing. He opposes those who are doing something. He opposes those who are building the wall. He opposes those who are advancing the Kingdom. He opposes those who are fulfilling their calling. If you are facing opposition, it is a sign that you are a threat to the enemy. It is a sign that you are doing something significant. Do not be discouraged by opposition. It is a badge of honor. It is a sign that you are on the right side.
God's perspective is that He is with you in the work. You are not building alone. You are not working alone. You are not fighting alone. God is with you. He is strengthening you. He is guiding you. He is providing for you. He is protecting you. He is upholding you. He goes before you. He stands behind you. He surrounds you. You are not alone. He is with you. He will never leave you nor forsake you.
God sees your faithfulness as a sweet aroma to Him. He sees every brick you lay. He sees every stone you set. He sees every hour you labor. He sees every sacrifice you make. He sees every tear you cry. He sees every prayer you pray. He sees every step you take. And He is pleased. He is honored. He is glorified. Your faithfulness is a sweet aroma to Him. He will not forget your labor of love (Hebrews 6:10).
God's perspective is that the reward is worth it. He has prepared for you a crown of righteousness (2 Timothy 4:8). He has prepared for you an inheritance that is incorruptible, undefiled, and that does not fade away (1 Peter 1:4). He has prepared for you a place in His Father's house (John 14:2). He has prepared for you eternal life. He has prepared for you joy unspeakable and full of glory. The reward is worth it. The prize is worth it. The crown is worth it. The joy is worth it. Do not abandon your calling.
Practical Application
Identify Your Calling: If you do not know what your calling is, ask God to reveal it to you. Pray. Fast. Read His Word. Seek wise counsel. God has promised that if you seek Him with all your heart, you will find Him (Jeremiah 29:13). He will reveal His purpose to you. He will show you the good works He has prepared for you to walk in.
Stay Focused on the Work: Do not be distracted by the enemy's tactics. Do not be deterred by opposition. Do not be discouraged by mockery. Stay focused on the work. Keep your eyes on the mission. Keep your hands on the plow. Keep building the wall. Keep advancing the Kingdom. Keep fulfilling your calling.
Refuse to Come Down: When the enemy tries to lure you away, refuse to come down. When he tries to distract you, refuse to come down. When he tries to discourage you, refuse to come down. When he tries to deceive you, refuse to come down. Say, "I am doing a great work. I cannot come down. Why should the work cease while I leave it and go down to you?"
Remember the Greatness of the Work: Do not minimize your calling. Do not dismiss your purpose. Do not diminish your mission. You are doing a great work. You are building the Kingdom of God. You are advancing the Gospel. You are rescuing souls from eternal destruction. You are making disciples of all nations. There is no greater work. There is no higher calling.
Trust God's Strength: Do not try to do the work in your own strength. You will burn out. You will become exhausted. You will become discouraged. Instead, rely on God's strength. Ask Him to empower you. Ask Him to fill you with His Spirit. Ask Him to give you the energy, the wisdom, and the ability you need. He will provide.
Surround Yourself with Fellow Builders: You are not building alone. You are not working alone. God has given you a family—the body of Christ. Surround yourself with believers who love God, who love His Word, and who are committed to His truth. They will encourage you, support you, and stand with you. Together, you can build the wall. Together, you can fulfill your calling.
Finish the Work: Do not stop halfway. Do not give up before the wall is built. Do not quit before the mission is complete. Finish the work. Complete the task. Fulfill your calling. And when you stand before God, you will hear, "Well done, good and faithful servant. You have been faithful over a few things; I will make you ruler over many things. Enter into the joy of your Lord." That is the reward of those who do not abandon their calling.
Ask Yourself
Am I fulfilling the calling God has placed on my life?
Have I been tempted to abandon my calling?
Am I distracted by the enemy's tactics?
Am I comparing my calling to others?
Am I giving up when the work gets hard?
Am I listening to the wrong voices?
Do I remember the greatness of the work?
Am I refusing to come down from the wall?
Reflection
Don't abandon your calling. This is the truth. This is the call. This is the invitation. You have a great work to do. You have a holy assignment to fulfill. You have a race to run. You have a wall to build. God has prepared good works for you to walk in. He has mapped out your purpose. He has assigned your mission. He has equipped you with gifts, talents, resources, and opportunities. He has placed you in a specific time and a specific place for a specific purpose. Do not abandon your calling.
I am doing a great work, so that I cannot come down. Why should the work cease while I leave it and go down to you? This is the declaration. This is the resolve. This is the commitment. Nehemiah refused to come down. He refused to be distracted. He refused to be deterred. He refused to be discouraged. He stayed on the wall. He stayed on the work. He stayed on the mission. And because he stayed, the wall was rebuilt. Because he stayed, the people were protected. Because he stayed, the enemies were defeated. You must do the same. Stay on the wall. Stay on the work. Stay on the mission. Do not come down.
For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them. This is the truth. This is the promise. This is the invitation. You are God's masterpiece. You are His work of art. You are His poem. He has crafted you with care. He has designed you with intentionality. He has created you with purpose. And He has created you for good works. He has prepared them beforehand. He has mapped out your path. He has assigned your mission. Walk in them. Fulfill your calling. Do not abandon it.
So identify your calling. Stay focused on the work. Refuse to come down. Remember the greatness of the work. Trust God's strength. Surround yourself with fellow builders. Finish the work. And you will discover that when you stay faithful to your calling, when you refuse to come down from the wall, when you finish the work God has given you, you will hear, "Well done, good and faithful servant." You will receive the crown. You will enter into the joy of your Lord. Don't abandon your calling. Finish the work.
Prayer
Father, I thank You for the calling You have placed on my life. I thank You that I am Your workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which You prepared beforehand that I should walk in them. Forgive me for the times I have been tempted to abandon my calling. Forgive me for the times I have been distracted by the enemy's tactics. Forgive me for the times I have compared my calling to others. Forgive me for the times I have given up when the work got hard. Today, I choose to stay faithful to my calling. I choose to stay focused on the work. I choose to refuse to come down. I choose to remember the greatness of the work. I choose to trust Your strength. I choose to surround myself with fellow builders. I choose to finish the work. Help me to fulfill the purpose You have for me. Help me to complete the mission You have assigned. Help me to build the wall. Help me to advance the Kingdom. I will not abandon my calling. I will not come down. I will stay on the wall. I will finish the work. In Jesus' mighty name, Amen.
Declaration
I declare that I will not abandon my calling. I am God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which He prepared beforehand that I should walk in them. I have a great work to do. I have a holy assignment to fulfill. I have a race to run. I have a wall to build. I will not be distracted. I will not be deterred. I will not be discouraged. I will not come down. I am doing a great work. I cannot come down. Why should the work cease while I leave it and go down to you? I will stay on the wall. I will stay on the work. I will stay on the mission. I will finish the work. I will complete the task. I will fulfill my calling. I will hear, "Well done, good and faithful servant." I will receive the crown. I will enter into the joy of my Lord. I will not abandon my calling. I will not abandon my calling. I will not abandon my calling.
Concluding Scripture
📖 Nehemiah 6:3 (NKJV)
"So I sent messengers to them, saying, 'I am doing a great work, so that I cannot come down. Why should the work cease while I leave it and go down to you?'"
A Final Word
Don't abandon your calling. This is the truth. This is the call. This is the invitation. You have a great work to do. You have a holy assignment to fulfill. You have a race to run. You have a wall to build. God has prepared good works for you to walk in. He has mapped out your purpose. He has assigned your mission. He has equipped you with gifts, talents, resources, and opportunities. He has placed you in a specific time and a specific place for a specific purpose. Do not abandon your calling.
I am doing a great work, so that I cannot come down. Why should the work cease while I leave it and go down to you? This is the declaration. This is the resolve. This is the commitment. Nehemiah refused to come down. He refused to be distracted. He refused to be deterred. He refused to be discouraged. He stayed on the wall. He stayed on the work. He stayed on the mission. And because he stayed, the wall was rebuilt. Because he stayed, the people were protected. Because he stayed, the enemies were defeated. You must do the same. Stay on the wall. Stay on the work. Stay on the mission. Do not come down.
For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them. This is the truth. This is the promise. This is the invitation. You are God's masterpiece. You are His work of art. You are His poem. He has crafted you with care. He has designed you with intentionality. He has created you with purpose. And He has created you for good works. He has prepared them beforehand. He has mapped out your path. He has assigned your mission. Walk in them. Fulfill your calling. Do not abandon it.
So identify your calling. Stay focused on the work. Refuse to come down. Remember the greatness of the work. Trust God's strength. Surround yourself with fellow builders. Finish the work. And you will discover that when you stay faithful to your calling, when you refuse to come down from the wall, when you finish the work God has given you, you will hear, "Well done, good and faithful servant." You will receive the crown. You will enter into the joy of your Lord. Don't abandon your calling. Finish the work.

Comments
Post a Comment