STAY HUMBLE BEFORE GOD

STAY HUMBLE BEFORE GOD

THE PATHWAY OF HUMILITY

Key Scripture

📖 Proverbs 16:18 (NKJV)
"Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall."

📖 James 4:6–7 (NKJV)
"But He gives more grace. Therefore He says: 'God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.' Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you."

Introduction

There is a silent killer that stalks the people of God. It does not announce its arrival. It does not make a grand entrance. It does not come with trumpets and fanfare. It creeps in quietly. It insinuates itself subtly. It disguises itself as confidence, as strength, as wisdom, as success. It whispers, "You deserve this. You earned this. You are better than them. You do not need anyone. You do not need God." And before you know it, it has taken root. It has grown. It has spread. And it is destroying everything God is building in your life.

That silent killer is pride. Pride is the original sin. It was pride that caused Lucifer to fall from heaven (Isaiah 14:12-15). It was pride that caused Adam and Eve to eat the forbidden fruit (Genesis 3:5-6). It was pride that caused Cain to murder his brother (Genesis 4:5-8). It was pride that caused Pharaoh to defy God (Exodus 5:2). It was pride that caused Nebuchadnezzar to boast and be driven mad (Daniel 4:30-33). It was pride that caused Herod to accept worship and be struck dead (Acts 12:21-23). Pride is the root of all sin. It is the foundation of all rebellion. It is the enemy of God.

Solomon, the wisest man who ever lived, declared, "Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall." The Hebrew word for "pride" is ga'on, which means arrogance, pride, or majesty. The word for "destruction" is sheber, which means a breaking, a crushing, or a ruin. The word for "haughty" is gobah, which means height, elevation, or arrogance. The word for "fall" is kishshalon, which means a stumbling, a fall, or a ruin. Solomon is saying that pride is the precursor to destruction. It is the warning sign before the fall. It is the herald of disaster.

The Apostle James echoes this truth: "But He gives more grace. Therefore He says: 'God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.' Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you." The Greek word for "resists" is antitassō, which means to oppose, to resist, to set oneself against, or to array in battle. The word for "proud" is hyperēphanos, which means arrogant, haughty, or proud. The word for "humble" is tapeinos, which means lowly, humble, or meek. The word for "submit" is hypotassō, which means to arrange under, to subordinate, or to submit. The word for "resist" is anthistēmi, which means to stand against, to oppose, or to withstand.

James is saying, "God gives more grace. He gives grace to the humble. But He resists the proud. He sets Himself against them. He arrays Himself in battle against them. Therefore, submit to God. Resist the devil. And he will flee from you." The pathway to victory is the pathway of humility. The pathway to grace is the pathway of submission. The pathway to standing firm against the enemy is the pathway of bowing low before God.

This teaching is for everyone who has ever achieved success. It is for the one who has been blessed by God. It is for the one who has been used by God. It is for the one who has been building something for God. It is for the one who is tempted to take credit for what God has done. It is for the one who needs to understand that pride can destroy what God is building. It is time to humble yourself. It is time to give God the glory. It is time to stay humble before God.

Biblical Truth

Proverbs 16:18 and James 4:6–7 together provide a powerful biblical framework for understanding the destructive nature of pride and the life-giving power of humility. They reveal that pride leads to destruction, and that God resists the proud but gives grace to the humble.

Proverbs 16:18 is one of the most well-known verses in all of Scripture. It is a warning that has echoed through the ages. Solomon writes, "Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall."

The Hebrew word for "pride" is ga'on, which means arrogance, pride, or majesty. It is the idea of self-exaltation, self-importance, and self-sufficiency. It is the attitude that says, "I am self-made. I am self-sufficient. I don't need anyone. I don't need God." The word for "destruction" is sheber, which means a breaking, a crushing, or a ruin. It is the result of pride. It is the inevitable outcome of self-exaltation.

The word for "haughty" is gobah, which means height, elevation, or arrogance. It is the idea of being lifted up, of looking down on others, of thinking more highly of yourself than you ought to think. The word for "fall" is kishshalon, which means a stumbling, a fall, or a ruin. It is the consequence of a haughty spirit. It is the inevitable result of looking down on others.

The principle is clear: pride precedes destruction. A haughty spirit precedes a fall. The path of pride leads to ruin. The path of arrogance leads to disaster. The higher you lift yourself up, the harder you will fall. The more you exalt yourself, the more you will be humbled. The more you rely on yourself, the more you will be broken.

This principle is illustrated throughout Scripture. Lucifer was the anointed cherub, the most beautiful and powerful of all God's creatures. But he became proud. He said in his heart, "I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God... I will be like the Most High" (Isaiah 14:13-14). And what happened? He was cast down to hell. He was brought down to the lowest depths. His pride led to his destruction.

Nebuchadnezzar was the most powerful king in the world. He had conquered nations, built cities, and accumulated wealth. But he became proud. He said, "Is not this great Babylon, that I have built for a royal dwelling by my mighty power and for the honor of my majesty?" (Daniel 4:30). And what happened? While the words were still in his mouth, a voice came from heaven, and he was driven from men. He ate grass like an ox. His hair grew like eagles' feathers. His nails like birds' claws. He was humbled. He was brought low. His pride led to his destruction.

Herod was a powerful ruler. He had the favor of Rome and the loyalty of the people. But he became proud. When the people shouted, "The voice of a god and not of a man!" he did not give glory to God. And what happened? The angel of the Lord struck him, and he was eaten by worms and died (Acts 12:21-23). His pride led to his destruction.

James 4:6–7 reveals the divine response to pride and the pathway to grace. James writes, "But He gives more grace. Therefore He says: 'God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.' Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you."

The Greek word for "resists" is antitassō, which means to oppose, to resist, to set oneself against, or to array in battle. It is a military term. It is the picture of an army lining up in battle formation against an enemy. God arrays Himself in battle against the proud. He opposes them. He fights against them. He sets Himself against them.

The word for "proud" is hyperēphanos, which means arrogant, haughty, or proud. It is the person who exalts himself, who thinks more highly of himself than he ought, who looks down on others, who takes credit for what God has done. God resists this person. God opposes this person. God fights against this person. This is a terrifying reality. To have God as your enemy is the worst possible position. To have God fighting against you is the worst possible fate.

But there is good news: God gives grace to the humble. The word for "humble" is tapeinos, which means lowly, humble, or meek. It is the person who acknowledges his need for God, who gives God the glory, who recognizes that everything he has is from God, who does not think more highly of himself than he ought. God gives this person grace. He pours out His favor. He gives him strength, wisdom, and blessing. He lifts him up.

The principle is clear: God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble. The path of pride leads to opposition from God. The path of humility leads to grace from God. The higher you lift yourself up, the more you will be opposed. The lower you bow yourself down, the more you will be lifted up. The more you exalt yourself, the more you will be humbled. The more you humble yourself, the more you will be exalted.

Then James gives the command: "Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you." The Greek word for "submit" is hypotassō, which means to arrange under, to subordinate, or to submit. It is a military term. It is the picture of a soldier submitting to his commanding officer. It is the picture of a servant submitting to his master. It is the picture of a child submitting to his father. We are to submit to God. We are to place ourselves under His authority. We are to surrender our will to His will. We are to acknowledge Him as Lord.

Then we are to "resist the devil." The Greek word for "resist" is anthistēmi, which means to stand against, to oppose, or to withstand. It is the same word used in 1 Peter 5:9, where Peter says, "Resist him, steadfast in the faith." We are to stand against the devil. We are to oppose him. We are to withstand him. And the promise is that he will flee from us. The Greek word for "flee" is pheugō, which means to flee, to run away, or to escape. When we submit to God and resist the devil, the devil flees. He runs. He escapes. He cannot stand against us when we are submitted to God.

The principle of humility is woven throughout Scripture. God told Abraham, "Walk before Me and be blameless" (Genesis 17:1). He did not say, "Perform for Me and be perfect." He said, "Walk before Me and be faithful." God told Moses, "I will be with you" (Exodus 3:12). He did not say, "You must be strong enough, smart enough, and capable enough." He said, "I will be with you." God told Joshua, "Be strong and of good courage" (Joshua 1:9). He did not say, "Be perfect and never fail." He said, "Be strong and courageous." God told David, "I have found David the son of Jesse, a man after My own heart, who will do all My will" (Acts 13:22). He did not say, "David was perfect." He said, "David was a man after My own heart." God told Mary, "Blessed is she who believed" (Luke 1:45). He did not say, "Blessed is she who performed." He said, "Blessed is she who believed." The pattern is clear: God wants humility, not performance. He wants trust, not achievement. He wants obedience, not perfection.

The example of Jesus is our ultimate model. Jesus was the Son of God. He was equal with the Father. He was worthy of all worship, all honor, and all glory. But He did not cling to His rights. He did not exalt Himself. He humbled Himself. He became a servant. He washed His disciples' feet. He went to the cross. He died for the sins of the world. And because He humbled Himself, God highly exalted Him and gave Him the name which is above every name (Philippians 2:5-11). Jesus is the perfect example of humility. He is the perfect example of what it means to stay humble before God.

What We Often Get Wrong

The first and most common error is that we believe we are immune to pride. We think that pride is a problem for others, not for us. We think that we are humble, that we are not proud, that we are not arrogant. But the very fact that we think we are humble is often a sign of pride. Pride is deceptive. It blinds us to its presence. It hides in the corners of our hearts. It disguises itself as confidence, as strength, as wisdom. We must examine our hearts. We must ask God to reveal any pride in our lives.

Second, we confuse confidence with pride. We think that having confidence is the same as being proud. But confidence is not pride. Confidence is trusting in God's ability. Pride is trusting in your own ability. Confidence is knowing who you are in Christ. Pride is thinking more highly of yourself than you ought. Confidence is humble. Pride is arrogant. Confidence gives God the glory. Pride takes the glory for itself. We must distinguish between the two.

Third, we take credit for what God has done. We think that we are responsible for our success. We think that we earned our achievements. We think that we built our ministries. We think that we grew our churches. We think that we accumulated our wealth. We forget that every good and perfect gift comes from above (James 1:17). We forget that it is God who gives us the power to get wealth (Deuteronomy 8:18). We forget that it is God who gives us the ability to work, the intelligence to plan, the opportunities to succeed, and the health to perform. We must give God the glory. We must acknowledge His hand in everything.

Fourth, we believe that we do not need others. We think that we can do it alone. We think that we do not need the body of Christ. We think that we do not need accountability. We think that we do not need counsel. We think that we do not need help. But this is pride. God has designed us to be part of a body. He has designed us to need one another. He has designed us to depend on Him and on each other. We must humble ourselves. We must admit our need. We must allow others to speak into our lives.

Fifth, we believe that we do not need God. We think that we can handle our lives on our own. We think that we can make our own decisions. We think that we can chart our own course. We think that we can solve our own problems. But this is the height of pride. God is the Creator of the universe. He is the Sovereign Lord. He is the Alpha and the Omega. We are not. We cannot. We need Him. We must acknowledge our need for Him. We must depend on Him. We must submit to Him.

Sixth, we believe that pride is not that serious. We think that pride is a minor flaw, a small imperfection, a personality quirk. We do not take it seriously. We do not deal with it. We do not confess it. We do not repent of it. But pride is the root of all sin. It is the foundation of all rebellion. It is the enemy of God. It is what caused Lucifer to fall. It is what caused Adam and Eve to sin. It is what caused the destruction of nations. Pride is serious. It is deadly. It is destructive. It can destroy everything God is building in your life.

Seventh, we forget that God resists the proud. We think that God is neutral. We think that God is indifferent to our pride. We think that He tolerates it. We think that He overlooks it. But James says, "God resists the proud." The Greek word is antitassō, which means to oppose, to resist, to set oneself against, to array in battle. God actively opposes the proud. He sets Himself against them. He fights against them. This is a terrifying reality. To have God as your enemy is the worst possible position. We must humble ourselves. We must repent of our pride. We must turn from it.

God's Perspective

God views pride as a rebellion against His sovereignty. Pride says, "I am the master of my own fate. I am the captain of my own soul. I do not need God. I do not need anyone. I am self-sufficient." This is a direct assault on God's authority. It is a denial of His lordship. It is a rejection of His rule. God will not tolerate this. He will not share His glory with another (Isaiah 42:8). He will not allow His creatures to exalt themselves above Him. He resists the proud. He opposes them. He fights against them.

God's perspective is that all good things come from Him. Every good and perfect gift comes from above (James 1:17). It is God who gives you the power to get wealth (Deuteronomy 8:18). It is God who gives you the ability to work, the intelligence to plan, the opportunities to succeed, and the health to perform. It is God who gives you the gifts, the talents, the resources, and the opportunities. Everything you have is from Him. You are not self-made. You are God-made. You are God-given. You are God-blessed. You must give Him the glory.

God sees pride as a poison that destroys relationships. Pride says, "I am better than you. I am more important than you. I am more deserving than you." Pride destroys marriages. It destroys families. It destroys friendships. It destroys churches. It destroys ministries. Pride divides. It creates conflict. It breeds resentment. It creates environments where no one can flourish except the proud person, who seeks to exalt themselves at the expense of others. God hates pride because it destroys what He is building.

God's perspective is that humility is the pathway to grace. James 4:6 says, "God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble." Humility does not earn grace; it receives grace. Humility does not deserve grace; it acknowledges its need for grace. Humility says, "I am not self-sufficient. I need God. I need His strength. I need His wisdom. I need His provision. I need His forgiveness. I need His guidance." And God pours out His grace on the humble. He gives them strength. He gives them wisdom. He gives them provision. He gives them forgiveness. He gives them guidance. He lifts them up.

God sees humility as the mark of a mature believer. The more you grow in Christ, the more you will recognize your own sinfulness, your own weakness, your own need for God. The more you know Him, the more you will see how unlike Him you are. The more you see His holiness, the more you will see your own unworthiness. This is humility. It is not thinking less of yourself; it is thinking of yourself less. It is not denying your gifts; it is acknowledging that they come from God. It is not pretending you are worthless; it is recognizing that you are valuable because you are loved by God.

God's perspective is that He resists the proud. This is a sobering reality. To have God as your enemy is the worst possible position. To have God fighting against you is the worst possible fate. The proud person may succeed for a season. They may build their empire. They may accumulate their wealth. They may achieve their goals. But God is against them. And when God is against you, you cannot win. You cannot succeed. You cannot stand. The proud will be brought low. The haughty will be humbled. The arrogant will be destroyed.

God sees humility as a source of protection. When you are humble, you are protected from the enemy's attacks. The enemy attacks the proud. He attacks the arrogant. He attacks the self-sufficient. He attacks those who think they are standing firm. But the humble are protected. They are hidden in the shadow of the Almighty. They are covered by His grace. They are upheld by His hand. They are safe.

God's perspective is that the humble will be exalted. Jesus said, "For whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted" (Luke 14:11). The path to true greatness is the path of humility. The path to true honor is the path of service. The path to true exaltation is the path of bowing down. When you humble yourself before God, He will lift you up. When you bow before Him, He will raise you up. When you acknowledge your need for Him, He will pour out His grace upon you.

Practical Application

Examine Your Heart: Ask the Holy Spirit to reveal any pride in your heart. Ask Him to show you where you have taken credit for what God has done. Ask Him to show you where you have looked down on others. Ask Him to show you where you have relied on your own strength instead of His. Confess any pride He reveals. Repent of it.

Give God the Glory: Make it a habit to give God the glory for everything. When you succeed, give Him the glory. When you achieve, give Him the glory. When you are blessed, give Him the glory. Say, "God, this is not me. This is You. You gave me the ability. You gave me the opportunity. You blessed the work of my hands. To You be the glory."

Acknowledge Your Need for God: Stop pretending that you have it all together. Stop pretending that you do not need anyone. Acknowledge your need for God. Acknowledge your need for His strength. Acknowledge your need for His wisdom. Acknowledge your need for His provision. Acknowledge your need for His forgiveness. Acknowledge your need for His guidance. Acknowledge your need for Him.

Acknowledge Your Need for Others: God has designed us to be part of a body. We need one another. We need accountability. We need counsel. We need encouragement. We need prayer. We need help. Do not isolate yourself. Do not think you can do it alone. Humble yourself. Admit your need. Let others speak into your life. Let them pray for you. Let them support you.

Serve Others: Pride exalts self; humility serves others. Look for opportunities to serve. Look for opportunities to put others first. Look for opportunities to lift others up. Look for opportunities to meet the needs of others. Serve your spouse. Serve your children. Serve your friends. Serve your church. Serve your community. Serve without recognition. Serve without thanks. Serve without applause. Serve as Jesus served.

Receive Correction: The proud person does not receive correction. They think they know it all. They think they are always right. They think they have nothing to learn. The humble person receives correction. They listen to the counsel of others. They are open to being wrong. They are willing to learn. They are willing to change. Receive correction. It will protect you from pride. It will help you grow.

Pray for Humility: Humility is not a natural trait; it is a supernatural fruit. Ask God to produce humility in you. Ask Him to help you see yourself accurately. Ask Him to help you give Him the glory. Ask Him to help you serve others. Ask Him to help you acknowledge your need for Him. Ask Him to help you receive correction. Ask Him to help you humble yourself. He will answer. He will help you.

Ask Yourself

Am I taking credit for what God has done?

Am I relying on my own strength instead of His?

Am I acknowledging my need for God and for others?

Am I serving others, or am I expecting to be served?

Am I receiving correction, or am I defensive?

Is there pride in my heart that I need to confess?

Is my pride destroying what God is building in my life?

Am I staying humble before God?

Reflection

Stay humble before God. This is the truth. This is the warning. This is the invitation. Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall. The path of pride leads to ruin. The path of arrogance leads to disaster. The higher you lift yourself up, the harder you will fall. The more you exalt yourself, the more you will be humbled. The more you rely on yourself, the more you will be broken.

God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble. This is the promise. This is the principle. This is the path to blessing. If you want God's grace, you must humble yourself. If you want God's favor, you must bow before Him. If you want God to lift you up, you must first bow down. If you want God to exalt you, you must first humble yourself. God opposes the proud. He fights against them. He arrays Himself in battle against them. But He gives grace to the humble. He pours out His favor on those who acknowledge their need for Him.

Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. This is the command. This is the call. This is the invitation. Submit to God. Place yourself under His authority. Surrender your will to His will. Acknowledge Him as Lord. Then resist the devil. Stand against him. Oppose him. Withstand him. And he will flee from you. He will run. He will escape. He cannot stand against you when you are submitted to God.

So stay humble before God. Examine your heart. Give God the glory. Acknowledge your need for Him. Acknowledge your need for others. Serve others. Receive correction. Pray for humility. And you will discover that when you humble yourself before God, He will lift you up. When you bow before Him, He will raise you up. When you acknowledge your need for Him, He will pour out His grace upon you. Stay humble before God. He gives grace to the humble.

Prayer

Father, I confess that I have been proud. I have taken credit for what You have done. I have relied on my own strength. I have looked down on others. I have thought more highly of myself than I ought. Forgive me. Today, I humble myself before You. I acknowledge that I am nothing without You. I acknowledge that everything I have is from You. I acknowledge that I need You. I need Your strength. I need Your wisdom. I need Your provision. I need Your forgiveness. I need Your guidance. I acknowledge that I need others. I need accountability. I need counsel. I need encouragement. I need prayer. I need help. I humble myself before You. Pour out Your grace upon me. Lift me up. Exalt me in Your time. But above all, keep me humble. Keep me on my knees. Keep me dependent on You. I give You the glory. I give You the honor. I give You the praise. To You be the glory forever and ever. In Jesus' mighty name, Amen.

Declaration

I declare that I will stay humble before God. I will not be proud. I will not be arrogant. I will not take credit for what God has done. I will not rely on my own strength. I will not look down on others. I will not think more highly of myself than I ought. I will give God the glory. I will acknowledge my need for Him. I will acknowledge my need for others. I will serve others. I will receive correction. I will pray for humility. I humble myself before God. And He will lift me up. He will exalt me in His time. He will pour out His grace upon me. God resists the proud, but He gives grace to the humble. I am humble. I am dependent. I am yielded. I am surrendered. I am His. And He will be exalted in my life. I will stay humble before God. I will stay humble before God. I will stay humble before God.

Concluding Scripture

📖 James 4:6–7 (NKJV)
"But He gives more grace. Therefore He says: 'God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.' Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you."

A Final Word

Stay humble before God. This is the truth. This is the warning. This is the invitation. Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall. The path of pride leads to ruin. The path of arrogance leads to disaster. The higher you lift yourself up, the harder you will fall. The more you exalt yourself, the more you will be humbled. The more you rely on yourself, the more you will be broken.

God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble. This is the promise. This is the principle. This is the path to blessing. If you want God's grace, you must humble yourself. If you want God's favor, you must bow before Him. If you want God to lift you up, you must first bow down. If you want God to exalt you, you must first humble yourself. God opposes the proud. He fights against them. He arrays Himself in battle against them. But He gives grace to the humble. He pours out His favor on those who acknowledge their need for Him.

Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. This is the command. This is the call. This is the invitation. Submit to God. Place yourself under His authority. Surrender your will to His will. Acknowledge Him as Lord. Then resist the devil. Stand against him. Oppose him. Withstand him. And he will flee from you. He will run. He will escape. He cannot stand against you when you are submitted to God.

So stay humble before God. Examine your heart. Give God the glory. Acknowledge your need for Him. Acknowledge your need for others. Serve others. Receive correction. Pray for humility. And you will discover that when you humble yourself before God, He will lift you up. When you bow before Him, He will raise you up. When you acknowledge your need for Him, He will pour out His grace upon you. Stay humble before God. He gives grace to the humble.

Comments