CHOOSE LIFE. CHOOSE GOD

CHOOSE LIFE. CHOOSE GOD

THE DECISION THAT DEFINES ETERNITY

Key Scripture

📖 Deuteronomy 30:19–20 (NKJV)
"I call heaven and earth as witnesses today against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing; therefore choose life, that both you and your descendants may live; that you may love the Lord your God, that you may obey His voice, and that you may cling to Him, for He is your life and the length of your days..."

Introduction

Every single day, you are making choices. Some are small and insignificant—what to eat, what to wear, which route to take. Others are weighty and consequential—whom to marry, what career to pursue, where to live. But there is one choice that transcends all others. It is the choice that determines the trajectory of your life and the destination of your soul. It is the choice between life and death, blessing and cursing, God and everything else.

Moses stood before the people of Israel on the plains of Moab, just before they entered the Promised Land. He had led them for forty years. He had delivered them from Egypt, given them the Law, and shepherded them through the wilderness. Now, as his time was drawing to a close, he delivered his final sermon. He laid out the stark reality before them: God had set before them two paths. One led to life, blessing, and prosperity. The other led to death, cursing, and destruction. And then he issued the most urgent plea in all of Scripture: "Choose life."

This teaching is for everyone who is standing at a crossroads. It is for everyone who knows that a decision must be made. It is for everyone who has been wavering between God and the world, between obedience and rebellion, between faith and fear. The choice is yours. God will not make it for you. He sets it before you and urges you to choose wisely. Choose life. Choose God. Choose blessing. Choose today.

Biblical Truth

Deuteronomy 30:19–20 is the climax of Moses' final address to Israel. He is renewing the covenant with the new generation that will enter the Promised Land. He has reviewed the Law, warned them of the consequences of disobedience, and promised the blessings of obedience. Now he makes it personal. He says, "I call heaven and earth as witnesses today against you." This is covenant language. Heaven and earth are being summoned as witnesses to the solemn choice that Israel must make. It is a choice with eternal consequences.

The words "life and death, blessing and cursing" are comprehensive. They represent the full spectrum of possible outcomes. Life includes everything that is good—health, prosperity, peace, favor, and eternal relationship with God. Death includes everything that is evil—suffering, destruction, exile, and eternal separation from God. The choice is not complicated; it is stark. There are only two paths. There is no middle ground.

Then comes the command: "Therefore choose life, that both you and your descendants may live." The word "choose" is bachar, which means to select, to prefer, or to decide. It is an active decision. It is not passive. God does not make the choice for you. He sets it before you and commands you to choose. The motivation is not just for your own sake but for the sake of your descendants. Your choice affects not only you but your children, your grandchildren, and generations to come.

The phrase "that you may love the Lord your God" reveals that choosing life is not merely a legal transaction; it is a love relationship. It is not just about keeping rules; it is about loving the Person who made the rules. The choice is to love God—to give your heart to Him, to delight in Him, and to find your satisfaction in Him.

The next phrase is "that you may obey His voice." Love and obedience are inseparable. Jesus said, "If you love Me, keep My commandments" (John 14:15). Loving God means listening to Him and doing what He says. It is not a burden; it is the natural response of a heart that is captivated by His love.

The final phrase is "and that you may cling to Him." The Hebrew word for "cling" is dabaq, which means to cleave, to stick, or to hold fast. It is the same word used in Genesis 2:24, where a man leaves his father and mother and clings to his wife. It is a word of intimacy, commitment, and devotion. It is the picture of holding onto God with all your strength, refusing to let go.

The reason is profound: "For He is your life." God is not just the giver of life; He is life itself. Without Him, there is no true life. Apart from Him, there is only existence—breathing, eating, working, and dying—but not life. Life is found in Him. He is the source, the sustainer, and the purpose of life. To choose God is to choose life. To reject God is to choose death.

The choice is echoed throughout Scripture. Joshua echoed it at the end of his life: "Choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve... But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" (Joshua 24:15). Elijah echoed it on Mount Carmel: "How long will you falter between two opinions? If the Lord is God, follow Him" (1 Kings 18:21). Jesus echoed it when He said, "No one can serve two masters" (Matthew 6:24). The call is consistent: choose. Decide. Commit.

What We Often Get Wrong

The first and most common error is that we try to choose both. We think we can serve God and the world. We think we can hold onto our sin and hold onto our salvation. We think we can love God with part of our heart and love the world with the other part. But Jesus is clear: "No one can serve two masters" (Matthew 6:24). You cannot choose both. You must choose one. James writes, "A double-minded man is unstable in all his ways" (James 1:8). You cannot be double-minded. You must be single-hearted.

Second, we delay the decision. We think, "I'll choose later. I'm not ready yet. I need more time." But the Bible says, "Today, if you will hear His voice, do not harden your hearts" (Hebrews 3:15). Today is the day of salvation. Today is the day of decision. Tomorrow is not promised. Delaying is a decision in itself—it is a decision to reject God today.

Third, we underestimate the consequences of our choice. We think our choices only affect us. But Moses says that your choice affects your descendants. Your decisions have ripples that extend far beyond your own life. The choices you make today will impact your children, your grandchildren, and generations to come. This is a sobering reality. Do not underestimate the weight of your choices.

Fourth, we confuse choosing God with choosing a religion. We think that choosing God means choosing a set of rules, a church, or a tradition. But choosing God is choosing a Person. It is choosing a relationship. It is loving the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, and strength. It is not a religious label; it is a living connection with the living God.

Fifth, we believe that choosing God will limit our freedom. We think, "If I choose God, I will have to give up all my fun. I will be restricted and bored." But the opposite is true. Sin is slavery; obedience is freedom. Jesus said, "If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed. And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free" (John 8:31-32). Choosing God is choosing true freedom—freedom from sin, freedom from guilt, freedom from fear, and freedom from death.

Sixth, we forget that choosing God is choosing life. When we choose God, we are not choosing a set of restrictions; we are choosing life itself. We are choosing joy, peace, purpose, and eternal hope. We are choosing the abundant life that Jesus promised (John 10:10). We are choosing the life that truly is life.

God's Perspective

God views the choice as an act of love. He does not force you to choose Him. He is not a tyrant who demands your allegiance. He is a loving Father who invites you into relationship. He sets the choice before you and urges you to choose life because He loves you and wants what is best for you. His commands are not burdensome; they are expressions of His love.

God's perspective is that His way is the only way to life. He is not one option among many; He is the only option. There is no life apart from Him. There is no salvation apart from Him. There is no hope apart from Him. He is the Way, the Truth, and the Life (John 14:6). To choose anything else is to choose death.

God sees the decision as urgent. He calls heaven and earth as witnesses. He commands a choice today. He does not want you to delay. He knows that tomorrow is not guaranteed. He knows that the enemy wants to steal the opportunity. He urges you to choose now. Today is the day of salvation (2 Corinthians 6:2).

God's perspective is that choosing Him is choosing your descendants. Your choice matters for generations to come. When you choose God, you are setting a course for your family. You are establishing a legacy of faith. You are opening the door for your children and grandchildren to know Him. Do not underestimate the impact of your decision.

God sees your choice as the foundation of everything else. Every other decision in your life flows from this one. If you choose God, you will make other choices that honor Him. If you reject God, you will make other choices that dishonor Him. This is the root decision. Everything else is fruit.

Practical Application

Make the Decision Today: Do not delay. If you have never chosen God, do it today. Pray and say, "Lord, I choose You. I repent of my sins. I surrender my life to You. I choose life." If you have already chosen Him, renew your commitment today. Say, "Lord, I choose You again. I reaffirm my decision. I will follow You."

Evaluate Your Choices: Look at your life. Are your daily choices reflecting your decision to choose God? Are you loving Him with all your heart? Are you obeying His voice? Are you clinging to Him? If not, make the necessary changes. Align your life with your choice.

Reject the Middle Ground: Refuse to waver. Do not try to serve two masters. Do not try to hold onto sin and hold onto God. Be decisive. Be single-minded. Choose God fully. As Joshua said, "Choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve" (Joshua 24:15). Make it clear.

Teach Your Descendants: Your choice affects your children. Teach them to choose God. Share your faith with them. Model it for them. Pray for them. Do not assume they will figure it out on their own. You have a responsibility to pass on the faith.

Cling to Him Daily: Choosing God is not a one-time event; it is a daily commitment. Every day, cling to Him. Every day, choose to love Him. Every day, choose to obey Him. Every day, hold fast to Him. He is your life. Do not let go.

Ask Yourself

Have I truly chosen God, or am I still wavering?

Am I trying to serve two masters?

Have I been delaying the decision that I need to make today?

Do I understand the eternal significance of my choice?

Am I setting a legacy of faith for my descendants?

Reflection

The most important decision you will ever make is the decision to choose God. It is the decision that determines everything else. It is the decision that determines where you will spend eternity. It is the decision that determines the trajectory of your life. God does not force you to choose Him. He sets the choice before you and urges you to choose life. He has done everything necessary to make life possible. He sent His Son to die for your sins. He has given you His Word. He has poured out His Spirit. He has called heaven and earth as witnesses. The ball is in your court. The choice is yours. Choose life. Choose God. Choose today. Do not delay. Do not waver. Do not settle for anything less. Choose life, that you may live and that your descendants may live. Choose God, for He is your life and the length of your days.

Prayer

Father, I come to You today and I make the most important decision of my life. I choose You. I choose life. I choose blessing. I repent of my sins. I turn away from the world and everything that separates me from You. I surrender my life to You completely. I love You with all my heart, my soul, and my strength. I will obey Your voice. I will cling to You. I will not let go. I reject the middle ground. I reject double-mindedness. I am Yours, and I will follow You all the days of my life. Help me to walk in this decision daily. Help me to be faithful. Help me to pass on this legacy of faith to my children and grandchildren. Thank You for the gift of life. Thank You for the gift of Your Son. I choose life. I choose You. In Jesus' mighty name, Amen.

Declaration

I declare that I choose life. I choose God. I choose blessing. I reject death. I reject cursing. I reject the world and its empty promises. I love the Lord my God with all my heart, all my soul, and all my strength. I will obey His voice. I will cling to Him. He is my life. He is my length of days. My choice is made. I will not waver. I will not go back. I will serve the Lord all the days of my life. As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.

Concluding Scripture

📖 Joshua 24:15 (NKJV)
"And if it seems evil to you to serve the Lord, choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve... But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord."

Comments