A Godly Approach to Crises

A Godly Approach to Crises
What Does It Mean?
This teaching provides practical guidance for handling crises in a wise and godly manner. The instruction begins by acknowledging the universal experience of being kept awake at night by problems, which are roadblocks that create emotional conflicts and force us to find resolution.
The teaching then presents a step-by-step approach to handling a crisis. First, we must learn to understand or define the situation. This involves identifying what is involved, who is involved, and what the real issues are—not imagined ones—and why they have become a roadblock. Second, we must look for a reasonable way to approach the situation by gathering accurate information and developing different strategies or plans to solve the issues one step at a time. Third, using care and patience, we begin to implement the plan. If it is obvious that it is the wrong approach, we discard it, re-evaluate, and start over. Fourth, we review and reflect on what works to end the crisis.
The teaching then contrasts this approach with how we usually handle a crisis. We typically take the matter into our own hands. Our reactions are often limited to our narrow perspective or inexperience in solving issues. Our emotions and feelings become a factor, often standing in the way of reaching the desired solution.
The instruction reveals a tension: we have a natural tendency to react emotionally and impulsively, but wisdom calls us to be thoughtful, patient, and strategic in our approach to problems.
The Twist
The unexpected element in this teaching is the emphasis on a methodical, thoughtful approach to problem-solving. We often think of faith as trusting God and waiting on Him, which can sometimes be interpreted as passivity. But this teaching presents a different picture—one that involves careful analysis, strategic planning, and reflective learning. This is not a contradiction to faith but an expression of it. Using our minds to solve problems is part of trusting God.
Another surprising insight is the acknowledgment that our emotions can stand in the way of reaching a solution. We often think our feelings are valid guides, but this teaching warns that they can be obstacles. Strong emotions can cloud our judgment and lead us to make impulsive decisions that create more problems.
The teaching also reveals the importance of being willing to discard a plan and start over. This requires humility. We must be willing to admit when we are wrong and try a different approach. This is not failure but wisdom—the willingness to learn from mistakes and adjust accordingly.
Perhaps most challenging is the distinction between the "real" and "imagined" issues. We often get caught up in our fears, assumptions, and interpretations, which may not reflect reality. The teaching calls us to separate fact from fiction and address the real issues, not the ones we have imagined.
How Does It Apply to Me?
Define the Problem Clearly
The first step in handling a crisis is to understand and define the situation. I need to take the time to identify what is really going on, who is involved, and what the true issues are.
I can apply this by:
Not rushing to conclusions
Gathering all the facts before acting
Separating real issues from imagined ones
Asking clarifying questions
Gather Accurate Information
I need to look for a reasonable way to approach the situation by gathering accurate information and developing different strategies.
I can do this by:
Seeking input from wise and trusted people
Not relying only on my own perspective
Considering multiple options before deciding
Being thorough in my research
Develop a Plan and Take Action
Using care and patience, I need to begin to implement a plan. This involves taking steps forward, even if they are small.
I can apply this by:
Breaking the problem into manageable steps
Not being paralyzed by fear
Taking action with patience and care
Trusting that progress comes one step at a time
Be Willing to Re-evaluate
If an approach is obviously wrong, I need to discard it, re-evaluate, and start over. This requires humility and flexibility.
I can do this by:
Not being stubborn about my plans
Admitting when I am wrong
Being open to new approaches
Learning from mistakes
Review and Reflect
I need to review and reflect on what works to end the crisis. Learning from experience is essential to growth.
I can apply this by:
Asking what worked and what didn't
Not repeating the same mistakes
Applying lessons learned to future situations
Growing in wisdom through experience
Manage My Emotions
My emotions can stand in the way of reaching a solution. I need to manage my feelings and not let them control my decisions.
I can do this by:
Not making decisions when I am highly emotional
Taking time to calm down before acting
Seeking wise counsel to balance my perspective
Allowing God's peace to guide my heart
Trust God Through the Process
Even while I am taking practical steps, I must trust God through the process. He is the ultimate source of wisdom and guidance.
I can apply this by:
Praying for wisdom and direction
Asking God to guide my planning
Trusting that He is working even when I don't see it
Relying on His strength, not my own
Final Reflections
This teaching on a godly approach to crises offers practical wisdom for handling the problems that keep us awake at night. It presents a thoughtful, methodical approach to problem-solving that involves defining the problem, gathering information, developing a plan, taking action, re-evaluating when necessary, and reflecting on what works.
The teaching acknowledges that our natural tendency is to react emotionally and impulsively, often making problems worse. Our narrow perspective, inexperience, and unchecked emotions can stand in the way of reaching a solution. This is why we need a more disciplined approach.
The contrast between how we usually handle crises and how we should handle them is instructive. Our natural approach is reactive and emotional. The wise approach is thoughtful and strategic. This is not a rejection of faith but an expression of it. Trusting God does not mean we stop using our minds; it means we use our minds in dependence on Him.
The willingness to re-evaluate and start over is a mark of humility. It acknowledges that we do not have all the answers and that we may need to adjust our approach. This is not failure but wisdom—the ability to learn from experience and adapt.
This teaching calls me to be more intentional in how I handle problems. It invites me to define issues clearly, gather accurate information, develop thoughtful plans, and trust God throughout the process. It also calls me to manage my emotions and not let them stand in the way of wise decision-making.
Prayer
Father in Heaven,
I come to You with a heart that desires to handle problems wisely. I confess that I have often reacted emotionally and impulsively, making decisions without careful thought or prayer. Forgive me for my impatience and for the times I have let my emotions control my choices.
Lord, I thank You for the practical wisdom of this teaching. Help me to define my problems clearly, to gather accurate information, and to develop thoughtful plans. Give me the patience to take one step at a time and the humility to re-evaluate when I am wrong.
Teach me to manage my emotions and not let them stand in the way of wise decisions. Help me to seek Your guidance in all things and to trust that You are working even when I cannot see it.
I pray for those who are facing crises tonight. Give them wisdom, patience, and clarity. Help them to find solutions that honor You and bring peace to their situations.
Lord, I choose this day to approach my problems with wisdom and trust. Help me to define issues clearly, plan carefully, and rely on You for guidance and strength.
In Jesus' name, who is the wisdom of God,
Amen.
Comments
Post a Comment