SURRENDER YOUR WAY TO GOD'S WAY
Key Scripture: Romans 12:1–2
Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.
True spiritual maturity involves surrendering our preferences, expectations, and plans so that God's will can become the priority of our lives. Surrender is not defeat; it is victory. It is not losing your life; it is finding it. It is not giving up your dreams; it is trading them for something far greater. When you surrender your way to God's way, you step into the fullness of His purpose and experience the peace that comes from living in alignment with His will.
Introduction
Surrender is one of the most difficult words in the Christian vocabulary. It sounds like weakness. It sounds like giving up. It sounds like losing control. And for a world that celebrates self-reliance, independence, and personal achievement, surrender feels like failure. But in the kingdom of God, surrender is the pathway to power. It is the doorway to freedom. It is the key to experiencing everything God has for you.
Romans 12:1–2 is one of the most powerful passages on surrender in all of Scripture. Paul urges believers to offer their bodies as living sacrifices. This is not a one-time event; it is a daily act of worship. It is choosing to lay down our preferences, our expectations, and our plans on the altar of God's will. It is saying, "Not my will, but Yours be done." It is the posture of a heart that has decided that God's way is better than any way we could devise on our own.
When you surrender your way to God's way, you are not losing anything of value. You are releasing what is temporary to receive what is eternal. You are letting go of what is small to embrace what is great. You are trading your limited vision for God's unlimited purpose. Surrender is not the end of your story; it is the beginning of the story God has been writing all along.
Devotional Thought
The human heart is wired for control. From a young age, we learn to assert our will, to make our own decisions, and to chart our own course. We are taught to be independent, to stand on our own two feet, and to take charge of our lives. This is not necessarily wrong, but it becomes a problem when our desire for control competes with God's desire to lead us. When we insist on our own way, we are essentially saying that we know better than God. We are placing our finite wisdom above His infinite wisdom.
But surrender is not about losing control; it is about placing control in the right hands. It is recognizing that God is a better driver than we are. It is admitting that our plans are often flawed and that His plans are always perfect. It is the humility to say, "I do not have all the answers, but You do. I do not know the future, but You do. I cannot see the big picture, but You can. I trust You with my life."
Think about Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane. He was facing the cross. He knew the pain and the shame that awaited Him. His human nature cried out, "Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me." This was the honest expression of His human desire. But He did not stop there. He continued, "Yet not my will, but yours be done." Jesus surrendered His own preference to the Father's will. He did not want to go to the cross, but He was willing to go because it was the Father's plan. His surrender was not passive resignation; it was active obedience. It was the ultimate act of trust.
When you surrender your way to God's way, you are following the example of Jesus. You are saying, "I have my own preferences, but I choose Yours. I have my own plans, but I release them to You. I have my own expectations, but I lay them down at Your feet." This is not easy. It goes against everything in our flesh. But it is the path to true life. Jesus said, "Whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will find it." Surrender is the paradox of the Christian life. It is losing to gain, dying to live, and letting go to receive.
Biblical Insight
Romans 12:1–2 is a turning point in Paul's letter to the Romans. The first eleven chapters are filled with deep theological truths about sin, salvation, grace, and God's sovereignty. Now, Paul moves from theology to application. He says, "In view of God's mercy, offer your bodies as a living sacrifice." The mercy of God is the foundation for surrender. Because God has been so merciful to us—saving us, forgiving us, and giving us new life—our response should be to offer ourselves completely to Him.
The phrase "living sacrifice" is striking. In the Old Testament, sacrifices were animals that were killed and offered on the altar. But Paul is calling for a living sacrifice. This means that our surrender is not a one-time death; it is a daily, ongoing offering of our lives to God. We are to present ourselves to God each day, choosing to lay down our own will and to walk in His. This is "true and proper worship." Worship is not just singing songs on Sunday; it is offering your entire life to God as an act of devotion.
Paul then gives two negative commands and one positive command. The negative commands are: do not conform to the pattern of this world, and do not be conformed to the world's way of thinking. The world tells us to assert ourselves, to pursue our own ambitions, and to prioritize our own desires. But we are not to be shaped by the world's values. Instead, we are to be transformed by the renewing of our minds. This is the positive command. Our minds must be renewed so that we can think like God thinks and see the world from His perspective.
When our minds are renewed, we are able to "test and approve what God's will is." We are able to discern His will for our lives. And Paul describes God's will in three beautiful ways: it is good, pleasing, and perfect. God's will is not a burden; it is good. It is not a restriction; it is pleasing. It is not a lesser option; it is perfect. When we surrender our way to God's way, we are not settling for less; we are stepping into the best.
The story of the rich young ruler in Mark 10 is a sobering example of someone who would not surrender. He came to Jesus asking what he needed to do to inherit eternal life. Jesus told him to keep the commandments. He said he had kept them all. But Jesus looked at him and loved him, and then said, "One thing you lack. Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me." The man went away sad because he had great wealth. He was unwilling to surrender his possessions to follow Jesus. He wanted eternal life, but he wanted it on his own terms. He was not willing to surrender his way to God's way. And he walked away from the greatest treasure of all.
Practical Application
The first step in surrendering your way to God's way is to recognize that you are not the owner of your life. You are a steward. Your life belongs to God. He created you. He redeemed you. He has a purpose for you. When you recognize that your life is not your own, surrender becomes easier. You are simply giving back to God what already belongs to Him.
Practice daily surrender. Each morning, present yourself to God as a living sacrifice. Say, "Lord, I give You this day. I give You my plans, my preferences, and my expectations. I ask You to direct my steps and to lead me in Your will." This is not a passive prayer; it is an active choice. It sets the tone for your entire day.
When you are faced with a decision, ask yourself, "What does God want in this situation? What is His will?" Resist the urge to immediately choose what is most comfortable or convenient. Seek God's perspective. Pray for wisdom. Trust that His way is better than your way, even when it is harder.
Let go of your expectations. One of the hardest parts of surrender is releasing our expectations. We have ideas about how our lives should look, how relationships should go, and how our prayers should be answered. But when we hold onto our expectations too tightly, we can become bitter and disappointed when things do not go our way. Surrender means saying, "God, I have my expectations, but I release them to You. I trust that Your plan is better than mine."
Surrender is not a one-time event; it is a daily choice. Every day, you will be tempted to take back control. Every day, you will be tempted to insist on your own way. Every day, you must choose to surrender again. This is the discipline of the Christian life. But as you practice surrender, it becomes more natural. Your heart becomes more aligned with God's heart. And you experience the peace that comes from walking in His will.
Reflection
Think about a time in your life when you surrendered your own plans to God and followed His leading. What was that experience like? How did it affect your faith?
What area of your life is most difficult to surrender to God right now? Is it your career, your relationships, your finances, your dreams, or something else? Why is this area so hard to let go of?
Why do we resist surrender so much? What are we afraid of losing? What does our resistance reveal about our trust in God?
Consider Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane. He surrendered His own preference to the Father's will. How does His example inspire you to surrender in your own life?
Romans 12:2 says we are transformed by the renewing of our minds. How can you renew your mind so that you can discern God's will more clearly? What practices can you adopt?
The rich young ruler walked away from Jesus because he was unwilling to surrender his wealth. Is there anything you are holding onto that is keeping you from fully surrendering to God?
If you truly believed that God's will is good, pleasing, and perfect, how would that change your approach to surrender? Would you be more willing to let go?
Prayer
Father, I confess that I have been holding onto my own way. I have insisted on my own plans, my own preferences, and my own expectations. I have resisted surrendering because I have been afraid of what I might lose. Forgive me for the times I have placed my will above Yours. Forgive me for the times I have trusted my own wisdom more than Your guidance.
Today, I choose to surrender my way to Your way. I lay down my plans at Your feet. I release my expectations to Your hands. I give You my career, my relationships, my finances, my dreams, and my future. I trust that Your will is good, pleasing, and perfect. I believe that Your way is better than mine.
I offer my body as a living sacrifice. I give You my time, my energy, and my resources. I choose to be transformed by the renewing of my mind. Help me to think like You think and to see the world from Your perspective. Help me to discern Your will and to walk in it with joy.
When I am tempted to take back control, remind me of Your faithfulness. When I am tempted to insist on my own way, remind me of Your wisdom. Help me to trust that surrender is not loss but gain. I choose to follow You wherever You lead. In the name of Jesus, who surrendered everything for me, I pray. Amen.
Declaration
I declare that I surrender my way to God's way.
I renounce my need for control.
I choose to offer my life as a living sacrifice.
God's will is good, pleasing, and perfect.
I will not conform to the pattern of this world.
I am being transformed by the renewing of my mind.
Today, I release my plans and embrace God's purpose.
I trust that His way is always the best way.

Comments
Post a Comment