WHEN SELF-WILL TAKES OVER

WHEN SELF-WILL TAKES OVER

THE WAY THAT SEEMS RIGHT

Key Scripture

📖 Judges 21:25 (NKJV)
"In those days there was no king in Israel; everyone did what was right in his own eyes."

📖 Proverbs 14:12 (NKJV)
"There is a way that seems right to a man, but its end is the way of death."

Introduction

There is a subtle and deadly lie that has embedded itself in the human heart since the garden of Eden. It is the lie that says, "I know what is best for me. I can determine my own path. I can decide what is right and wrong for my life. I don't need anyone telling me what to do—not even God." This is the essence of self-will. It is the enthronement of the self. It is the rejection of God's authority and the elevation of personal preference to the place of supreme command. And when self-will takes over, destruction is never far behind.

The book of Judges gives us a vivid and tragic picture of what happens when a society—and a heart—is governed by self-will. The people of Israel had been delivered from Egypt, led through the wilderness, and brought into the Promised Land. God was their King. He had given them His law, His commandments, and His covenant. But they rejected His rule. They did what was right in their own eyes. The result was chaos, moral decay, violence, and spiritual bankruptcy. The book ends with these haunting words: "In those days there was no king in Israel; everyone did what was right in his own eyes" (Judges 21:25).

Solomon, the wisest man who ever lived, echoed this truth in Proverbs 14:12: "There is a way that seems right to a man, but its end is the way of death." The way of self-will always looks good at the beginning. It seems logical, reasonable, and even righteous. But it leads to destruction. It leads to death. It leads to separation from God. It leads to the loss of everything that truly matters.

This teaching is for everyone who has ever been tempted to take control of their own life. It is for the one who has been leaning on their own understanding. It is for the one who has been making decisions without seeking God. It is for the one who has been doing what is right in their own eyes. It is for the one who needs to understand the danger of self-will and the freedom of surrender. It is time to recognize when self-will has taken over. It is time to dethrone yourself and enthrone God.

Biblical Truth

Judges 21:25 and Proverbs 14:12 together provide a powerful biblical framework for understanding the danger of self-will. They reveal that when there is no recognized authority, everyone does what is right in their own eyes, and that the way that seems right to a man ends in death.

Judges 21:25 is the final verse of the book of Judges. It is a summary of the entire period. The Hebrew word for "king" is melek, which means king, ruler, or sovereign. The phrase "there was no king in Israel" does not mean that Israel had no human king—they did not yet have a king like the other nations. But more importantly, it means that they had rejected God as their King. They had refused to submit to His rule. They had turned away from His commandments. They had done what was right in their own eyes.

The Hebrew word for "right" is yashar, which means straight, right, pleasing, or upright. The phrase "in his own eyes" is be'eynayw, which means in his own sight, in his own estimation, or in his own opinion. The people of Israel had become their own standard of truth. They had become their own authority. They had become their own god. Each person decided for themselves what was right and what was wrong. There was no absolute truth. There was no objective morality. There was only personal preference.

The result was chaos. The book of Judges is a cycle of apostasy, oppression, cry for deliverance, and deliverance by a judge—only to fall back into apostasy again. It is a downward spiral of moral decay. It includes stories of idolatry, sexual immorality, murder, and civil war. It ends with the horrific story of the Levite and his concubine, which leads to the near-destruction of the tribe of Benjamin. It is a picture of what happens when everyone does what is right in their own eyes.

Proverbs 14:12 expands on this truth. Solomon writes, "There is a way that seems right to a man, but its end is the way of death."

The Hebrew word for "way" is derek, which means path, journey, or manner of life. The word for "seems right" is yashar, the same word used in Judges 21:25. The word for "man" is ish, which means a man, a person, or a human being. The word for "end" is acharith, which means the latter end, the final outcome, or the time to come. The word for "death" is maveth, which means death, destruction, or ruin.

Solomon is warning us that there is a path that looks good. It seems right. It seems wise. It seems promising. It seems like the obvious choice. It seems like the open door. But its end is the way of death. Its final outcome is destruction. Its destination is ruin. And many people choose that path because they do not test it. They do not discern it. They do not seek God's wisdom. They just do what is right in their own eyes. And they end up in a place they never intended to go.

The principle of self-will is woven throughout Scripture. Self-will is not just making a few bad decisions. It is a fundamental orientation of the heart. It is the rejection of God's authority and the elevation of personal autonomy. It is the belief that I know better than God. It is the belief that I can determine my own destiny. It is the belief that I am the master of my fate and the captain of my soul.

Self-will is the original sin. It was self-will that caused Lucifer to say, "I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God... I will be like the Most High" (Isaiah 14:13-14). It was self-will that caused Adam and Eve to eat the forbidden fruit, believing that they could become like God (Genesis 3:5). It was self-will that caused Cain to murder his brother (Genesis 4:5-8). It was self-will that caused the Israelites to demand a king like the other nations, rejecting God as their King (1 Samuel 8:4-7). It was self-will that caused Saul to disobey God and spare Agag (1 Samuel 15:9). It was self-will that caused Jonah to run away from God's call (Jonah 1:3). It was self-will that caused the rich young ruler to walk away from Jesus because he could not let go of his wealth (Matthew 19:21-22). The pattern is clear: self-will leads to destruction.

The example of Jesus is our ultimate model. Jesus did not do what was right in His own eyes. He did what was right in the Father's eyes. He said, "I do nothing of Myself; but as My Father taught Me, I speak these things" (John 8:28). He said, "I can of Myself do nothing. As I hear, I judge; and My judgment is righteous, because I do not seek My own will but the will of the Father who sent Me" (John 5:30). He said, "My food is to do the will of Him who sent Me, and to finish His work" (John 4:34). He said, "Not My will, but Yours, be done" (Luke 22:42). Jesus surrendered His will to the Father. He submitted to the Father's authority. He trusted the Father's plan. And because He did, He fulfilled the purpose of God. And He calls us to do the same.

What We Often Get Wrong

The first and most common error is that we believe we know what is best for our lives. We think that we can trust our own judgment. We think that our instincts are reliable. We think that our desires are pure. But the Bible says, "The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked; who can know it?" (Jeremiah 17:9). Our hearts are not a reliable guide. Our instincts are flawed. Our desires are often selfish. We cannot trust ourselves. We need God.

Second, we equate sincerity with truth. We think that if we are sincere, if we are genuine, if we truly believe something, it must be right. But sincerity is not the same as truth. You can be sincerely wrong. You can genuinely believe a lie. You can passionately pursue a path that leads to destruction. The way that seems right to a man is not necessarily the right way. We must test everything against God's Word.

Third, we believe that self-will is strength. We admire people who are self-made, self-sufficient, and self-reliant. We think that independence is a virtue. We think that depending on God is weakness. But the opposite is true. Self-will is weakness. It is the weakness of pride. It is the weakness of refusing to acknowledge our need for God. True strength is found in surrender. True strength is found in dependence on God.

Fourth, we make plans without consulting God. We map out our futures, set our goals, chart our courses, and make our decisions—all without seeking His guidance. We treat God as a spectator rather than the Sovereign. We treat Him as an advisor rather than the Lord. We treat Him as optional rather than essential. We must seek God's guidance. We must ask for His direction. We must wait for His leading.

Fifth, we believe that we can control the outcome. We think that if we just work hard enough, plan well enough, and strategize effectively enough, we can determine the outcome of our lives. But we cannot. The outcome is in God's hands. He directs our steps. He determines our path. He establishes our way. We can do our part, but we must trust Him to do His part.

Sixth, we ignore the warning signs. We see the red flags. We feel the uneasiness. We sense the Holy Spirit's conviction. But we ignore it. We suppress it. We rationalize it. We harden our hearts. We must not ignore the warning signs. We must listen to the Holy Spirit. We must respond to His conviction.

Seventh, we forget that the end is death. We focus on the immediate pleasure, the immediate benefit, the immediate gratification. We do not consider the long-term consequences. We do not think about the end. But Solomon tells us that the end of self-will is death. It is destruction. It is ruin. We must consider the end. We must think about the destination. We must choose the path that leads to life.

God's Perspective

God views self-will as rebellion against His sovereignty. He is the King. He is the Lord. He is the Creator. He is the Sovereign. He deserves to be in control. He deserves to be on the throne. He deserves to call the shots. When we do what is right in our own eyes, we are saying, "I know better than God. I can determine my own path. I do not need His authority." This is rebellion. This is sin. God will not share His glory with another (Isaiah 42:8). He will not tolerate our self-will. He calls us to submit to Him.

God's perspective is that His ways are higher than our ways. "For My thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways My ways, says the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts" (Isaiah 55:8-9). We cannot see the end from the beginning. We cannot know what lies around the corner. We cannot understand the full picture. But God can. His wisdom is infinite. His perspective is eternal. His plans are perfect. We can trust Him. We must trust Him.

God sees self-will as a path to destruction. He does not warn us against self-will because He wants to control us. He warns us because He loves us. He knows that the way that seems right to a man leads to death. He knows that self-will leads to ruin. He knows that independence from Him leads to destruction. He is a loving Father who wants to protect His children. He calls us to surrender not to restrict us, but to free us.

God's perspective is that He wants to direct your steps. He does not want you to wander aimlessly. He does not want you to stumble in the dark. He does not want you to be lost. He wants to guide you. He wants to lead you. He wants to show you the way. He wants to make your path straight. He wants to direct your steps. He wants to lead you to the destination He has prepared for you. He is ready to direct your paths. You just need to trust Him.

God sees your surrender as an act of worship. When you surrender your will to Him, you are acknowledging that He is God and you are not. When you submit to His authority, you are honoring Him as Lord. When you trust His plan, you are declaring that He is wise and good. Surrender is worship. It is the highest form of worship. It is the offering of your life as a living sacrifice (Romans 12:1).

Practical Application

Acknowledge God as King: Make a deliberate decision to acknowledge God as the King of your life. Say, "Lord, You are the King. You are the Lord. You are the Sovereign. I submit to Your authority. I surrender to Your will. I acknowledge You as the ruler of my life." Do this daily. Do this moment by moment.

Submit Your Plans to Him: Bring your plans to God. Submit them to His will. Say, "Lord, this is what I want to do, but I trust You to direct my steps. If You want to change my plans, I am willing. If You want to redirect my path, I am open. If You want to close a door, I will trust You. If You want to open a different door, I will follow You."

Seek His Word: The Word of God is your compass. It is your plumb line. It is your foundation. Read it daily. Study it. Meditate on it. Memorize it. Let it dwell in you richly. The more you know the Word, the more you will know God's will. The more you know God's will, the easier it will be to surrender your will to His.

Pray for Discernment: Ask God to give you discernment. Ask Him to help you distinguish between your own will and His will. Ask Him to show you the way that seems right to you but leads to death. Ask Him to reveal the path that leads to life. He will answer. He will guide you.

Surround Yourself with Godly Counsel: God often speaks through other people. Seek counsel from mature believers—pastors, mentors, elders, and trusted friends. Share your plans with them. Ask them to pray with you. Ask them for their perspective. "Where there is no counsel, the people fall; but in the multitude of counselors there is safety" (Proverbs 11:14).

Practice Surrender Daily: Surrender is not a one-time event. It is a daily discipline. Every morning, surrender your day to God. Every decision, surrender your will to His. Every plan, surrender your agenda to His. Make surrender the rhythm of your life.

Trust His Timing: God's timing is not our timing. He is never late. He is never early. He is always right on time. Do not rush ahead of Him. Do not lag behind Him. Wait for His timing. Trust His process. He knows what He is doing. He will bring His purpose to pass in His perfect time.

Ask Yourself

Am I doing what is right in my own eyes?

Am I making plans without consulting God?

Am I leaning on my own understanding?

Am I trusting my heart, or am I trusting God's Word?

Have I surrendered my will to God's will?

Am I seeking God's guidance, or am I doing my own thing?

Am I considering the end of my path, or am I only focused on the present?

Have I let self-will take over my life?

Reflection

When self-will takes over, destruction is never far behind. The way that seems right to a man always looks good at the beginning. It seems logical, reasonable, and even righteous. But its end is the way of death. It leads to ruin. It leads to separation from God. It leads to the loss of everything that truly matters.

The book of Judges is a warning to us. It shows us what happens when everyone does what is right in their own eyes. It shows us the chaos, the moral decay, the violence, and the spiritual bankruptcy that result from self-will. It shows us that we cannot be our own king. We need a King. We need God.

Surrender is not weakness. It is strength. It is the strength of humility. It is the strength of trust. It is the strength of acknowledging that God knows better than we do. When we surrender our will to His, we are not losing our freedom. We are finding true freedom. We are not losing our identity. We are finding our identity in Christ. We are not losing our purpose. We are finding our purpose in Him.

So do not let self-will take over. Dethrone yourself. Enthrone God. Surrender your plans to Him. Trust His wisdom. Trust His timing. Trust His plan. And you will discover that the way that seemed right to you was leading to death, but the way of the Lord leads to life. Choose the way of the Lord. Choose surrender. Choose life.

Prayer

Father, I confess that I have let self-will take over my life. I have done what is right in my own eyes. I have made plans without consulting You. I have leaned on my own understanding. I have trusted my own heart. Forgive me. Today, I dethrone myself. I enthrone You. I acknowledge You as the King of my life. I submit to Your authority. I surrender my will to Your will. I surrender my plans to Your plans. I surrender my future to Your future. I trust You with all my heart. I lean not on my own understanding. In all my ways I acknowledge You. Direct my steps. Lead me on the right path. Guide me to the right destination. I will not do what is right in my own eyes. I will do what is right in Your eyes. I will follow You. I will trust You. I will obey You. In Jesus' mighty name, Amen.

Declaration

I declare that I will not let self-will take over my life. I will not do what is right in my own eyes. I will not lean on my own understanding. I will not make plans without consulting God. I will not trust my own heart. I will trust God's Word. I will submit to His authority. I will surrender my will to His will. I will acknowledge Him in all my ways. He will direct my paths. He will lead me on the right path. He will guide me to the right destination. The way that seems right to a man leads to death. But the way of the Lord leads to life. I choose the way of the Lord. I choose surrender. I choose life. I will not let self-will take over. I will let God take over. I will let God be King. I will let God be Lord. I will let God be God. And I will follow Him all the days of my life.

Concluding Scripture

📖 Jeremiah 10:23 (NKJV)
"O Lord, I know the way of man is not in himself; it is not in man who walks to direct his own steps."

Comments