DO NOT MOVE WITHOUT SEEKING GOD

DO NOT MOVE WITHOUT SEEKING GOD

THE DANGER OF SELF-DIRECTION

Key Scripture

📖 Proverbs 3:5–6 (NKJV)
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths."

📖 James 1:5 (NKJV)
"If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him."

Introduction

There is a subtle and dangerous temptation that every believer faces: the temptation to move without seeking God. It is the urge to make decisions based on our own wisdom, our own analysis, and our own understanding. It is the impulse to take action without first inquiring of the Lord. It is the tendency to rely on our own instincts, our own experience, and our own intuition rather than seeking the counsel of the Almighty. And it is a trap that has led countless believers down paths of destruction, regret, and heartache.

We live in a world that celebrates self-reliance and independence. We are told to trust our gut, follow our heart, and make our own decisions. We are praised for being decisive, proactive, and self-sufficient. But the Word of God presents a radically different approach. It calls us to trust in the Lord with all our heart, to lean not on our own understanding, to acknowledge Him in all our ways, and to seek His wisdom for every decision we make. It calls us to a life of dependence, not independence. It calls us to seek God before we move.

The book of Proverbs declares, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths." The Hebrew word for "trust" is batach, which means to cling to, to be confident in, or to feel secure. It implies a total reliance on someone who is completely trustworthy. The word for "lean" is sha'an, which means to support oneself on, to rely upon, or to rest upon. Solomon is telling us, "Do not lean on your own understanding. Do not rely on your own wisdom. Trust in the Lord. Acknowledge Him. And He will direct your paths."

The Apostle James echoes this truth: "If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him." The Greek word for "wisdom" is sophia, which means wisdom, insight, skill, or prudence. It is the ability to see things from God's perspective and to make decisions that align with His will. James is telling us that if we lack wisdom, we should ask God. And God, who is generous and gracious, will give it to us. But we must ask. We must seek. We must inquire of the Lord before we move.

This teaching is for everyone who has ever made a decision without seeking God. It is for the one who has relied on their own understanding and suffered the consequences. It is for the one who is facing a decision right now and does not know what to do. It is for the one who wants to learn to seek God's guidance in every area of their life. It is time to stop moving without seeking God. It is time to trust Him with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.

Biblical Truth

Proverbs 3:5–6 and James 1:5 together provide a powerful biblical framework for understanding the importance of seeking God before we move. They reveal that we are to trust God completely, lean not on our own understanding, acknowledge Him in all our ways, and seek His wisdom for every decision.

Proverbs 3:5–6 is one of the most beloved passages in all of Scripture. It is a prescription for peace in the midst of uncertainty. It is a call to trust in the Lord with all your heart and to lean not on your own understanding.

The Hebrew word for "trust" is batach, which means to cling to, to be confident in, or to feel secure. It implies a total reliance on someone who is completely trustworthy. It is the same word used in Psalm 20:7: "Some trust in chariots, and some in horses; but we will remember the name of the Lord our God." Trust is not a passive feeling; it is an active choice to place your confidence in God rather than in your own resources, understanding, or strength.

The command is to trust with "all your heart." The heart, in Hebrew thought, is not just the seat of emotion but the centre of the whole person—mind, will, and emotions. Trusting with all your heart means holding nothing back. It means surrendering every fear, every doubt, every question, and every anxiety to God. It is a wholehearted reliance that leaves no room for self-sufficiency.

The phrase "lean not on your own understanding" is the negative counterpart to trust. The Hebrew word for "lean" is sha'an, which means to support oneself on, to rely upon, or to rest upon. When we are facing decisions, we naturally lean on our own understanding. We analyse, we rationalize, we try to figure out the "why" and the "how." But Solomon warns that this is a dangerous posture. Human understanding is limited, fallen, and easily deceived. Our understanding, especially in moments of uncertainty, is not a reliable foundation.

The positive action is to "acknowledge" God in all your ways. The Hebrew word is yada, which means to know intimately, to recognize, or to be aware of. Acknowledging God means bringing Him into every decision, every thought, and every step. It means saying, "Lord, I do not know what to do, but I know You. I do not understand this situation, but I understand that You are sovereign. I cannot see the path ahead, but I see You." It is not a casual nod to God; it is an intimate, ongoing awareness of His presence and His character.

The promise is that God "shall direct your paths." The Hebrew word for "direct" is yashar, which means to make straight, to level, or to guide. When we trust, refuse to lean on our own understanding, and acknowledge Him, God takes the responsibility for our direction. He straightens the crooked paths. He opens doors that no man can shut and shuts doors that no man can open. He makes a way where there seems to be no way. This is not a promise of a trouble-free life; it is a promise of divine guidance through the trouble.

James 1:5 is a complementary passage that emphasizes the importance of seeking God's wisdom. James writes, "If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him."

The Greek word for "lacks" is leipō, which means to lack, to be deficient, or to be in need. The word for "wisdom" is sophia, which means wisdom, insight, skill, or prudence. It is the ability to see things from God's perspective and to make decisions that align with His will. James is acknowledging that we all lack wisdom. We all have blind spots. We all have limitations. We all need God's guidance.

The command is to "ask of God." The Greek word for "ask" is aiteō, which means to ask, to request, or to petition. It is a present tense imperative, indicating ongoing action. We are to keep asking. We are to keep seeking. We are to keep knocking. We are to bring our decisions to God in prayer. We are to seek His wisdom for every area of our lives.

The promise is that God "gives to all liberally and without reproach." The Greek word for "gives" is didōmi, which means to give, to grant, or to bestow. The word for "liberally" is haplōs, which means generously, bountifully, or sincerely. The word for "without reproach" is mē oneidizō, which means without scolding, without taunting, without shaming. God does not mock us for not knowing. He does not shame us for needing wisdom. He gives generously. He gives graciously. He gives without reproach.

The promise continues: "And it will be given to him." This is a guarantee. If we ask, we will receive. If we seek, we will find. If we knock, the door will be opened. God is faithful. He will give us the wisdom we need. He will guide us. He will direct us. But we must ask. We must seek. We must not move without seeking Him.

The principle of seeking God before moving is woven throughout Scripture. Abraham sought God before he sent his servant to find a wife for Isaac (Genesis 24). Moses sought God before he confronted Pharaoh and led the people out of Egypt (Exodus 3-4). Joshua sought God before he led the people into the Promised Land (Joshua 1). David sought God before he went into battle (1 Samuel 23:2). Jehoshaphat sought God before he faced the Moabites and Ammonites (2 Chronicles 20). Nehemiah sought God before he rebuilt the walls of Jerusalem (Nehemiah 1-2). Jesus sought God before He chose His disciples (Luke 6:12-13). Jesus sought God before He faced the cross (Luke 22:42). The pattern is clear: the people of God seek God before they move.

The example of Jesus is our ultimate model. Jesus never moved without seeking the Father. He said, "I do nothing of Myself; but as My Father taught Me, I speak these things" (John 8:28). He said, "I can of Myself do nothing. As I hear, I judge; and My judgment is righteous, because I do not seek My own will but the will of the Father who sent Me" (John 5:30). He said, "My food is to do the will of Him who sent Me, and to finish His work" (John 4:34). Jesus sought the Father before every decision. He spent hours in prayer. He withdrew to desolate places to commune with God. He did not move without seeking God. And because He did, He fulfilled the purpose of God.

What We Often Get Wrong

The first and most common error is that we believe we can figure things out on our own. We think we are smart enough, wise enough, and experienced enough to make our own decisions. We rely on our own understanding. We lean on our own wisdom. We do not seek God because we do not think we need to. But this is a dangerous presumption. Our understanding is limited. Our wisdom is finite. Our perspective is flawed. We need God's wisdom. We need His guidance. We need His direction.

Second, we are too impatient to wait for God's answer. We want immediate solutions. We want instant clarity. We do not want to wait. So we move ahead without seeking God. We make decisions based on our own reasoning. We take action without praying. We rely on our own instincts. But God's timing is not our timing. His ways are not our ways. We must learn to wait on Him. We must learn to seek Him. We must learn to trust Him.

Third, we confuse our own desires with God's will. We want something so badly that we convince ourselves it must be God's will. We do not seek His guidance because we are afraid He might say no. We do not ask because we do not want to hear the answer. We move ahead based on our own desires and call it faith. But this is not faith; it is presumption. True faith seeks God. True faith trusts God. True faith obeys God, even when His answer is not what we wanted.

Fourth, we believe that seeking God is a one-time event. We seek God for the big decisions—whom to marry, what career to pursue, where to live. But we do not seek Him for the small decisions—what to say, where to go, how to spend our time. But God wants to be acknowledged in all our ways. He wants to be involved in every area of our lives. He wants us to seek Him daily, moment by moment, decision by decision.

Fifth, we rely on our own understanding rather than God's Word. We base our decisions on our own analysis, our own logic, our own reasoning. We do not consult God's Word. We do not seek His counsel. We do not pray. We do not fast. We do not seek wise counsel from mature believers. We just do what seems right to us. But the Bible warns, "There is a way that seems right to a man, but its end is the way of death" (Proverbs 14:12). We must not rely on our own understanding. We must seek God's wisdom.

Sixth, we move out of fear rather than faith. We are afraid of missing out. We are afraid of being left behind. We are afraid of what others will think. So we move ahead without seeking God. We make decisions based on fear rather than faith. But fear is not from God. "God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind" (2 Timothy 1:7). We must not let fear drive us. We must let faith guide us. And faith seeks God.

Seventh, we forget that God's wisdom is available. We think we have to figure everything out on our own. We think we are alone in our decisions. We think we have no one to turn to. But God has promised to give us wisdom. He has promised to guide us. He has promised to direct our paths. We just need to ask. We just need to seek. We just need to trust. His wisdom is available. It is freely given. We just need to receive it.

God's Perspective

God views your decisions as opportunities for dependence. He does not want you to make decisions in isolation. He does not want you to rely on your own understanding. He wants you to depend on Him. He wants you to seek Him. He wants you to trust Him. Every decision is an opportunity to draw closer to Him, to hear His voice, and to experience His guidance.

God's perspective is that He has the wisdom you need. He is omniscient. He knows everything. He sees the end from the beginning. He knows the path you should take. He knows the decisions you should make. He knows the doors you should walk through and the doors you should avoid. He has the wisdom you need. And He is willing to give it to you. He is generous. He is gracious. He is faithful.

God sees your tendency to lean on your own understanding as a form of pride. It is saying, "I know better than God. I can figure this out on my own. I do not need His help." But this is the original sin—the desire to be like God, to be independent, to be self-sufficient. God wants you to humble yourself. He wants you to acknowledge your need for Him. He wants you to trust Him with all your heart.

God's perspective is that He wants to direct your paths. He does not want you to wander aimlessly. He does not want you to stumble in the dark. He wants to guide you. He wants to lead you. He wants to make your path straight. He wants to bring you to the destination He has prepared for you. But you must trust Him. You must acknowledge Him. You must seek Him. He will not force His guidance upon you. He waits for you to ask.

God sees your impatience as a lack of trust. When you rush ahead without seeking Him, you are saying, "I do not trust You to guide me. I do not trust Your timing. I do not trust Your wisdom." But God is trustworthy. He is faithful. He is good. His timing is perfect. His wisdom is infinite. Trust Him. Wait for Him. Seek Him. He will not disappoint you.

God's perspective is that He is your Counselor. He is the Wonderful Counselor (Isaiah 9:6). He is the One who counsels you, guides you, and directs you. He is the One who speaks to you through His Word, through prayer, through wise counsel, through circumstances, and through the Holy Spirit. He is always speaking. He is always guiding. He is always directing. You just need to listen. You just need to seek Him.

God sees your decisions as an act of worship. When you seek Him before you move, you are worshiping Him. You are acknowledging Him as Lord. You are submitting to His will. You are trusting His wisdom. You are honoring His authority. Seeking God is not just a practical necessity; it is an act of worship. It is a declaration that He is God and you are not.

Practical Application

Pray Before You Decide: Make it a habit to pray before every significant decision. Do not make decisions in the flesh. Do not rely on your own understanding. Bring every decision to God in prayer. Ask Him for wisdom. Ask Him for guidance. Ask Him for direction. Wait for His answer.

Search the Scriptures: God's Word is a lamp to your feet and a light to your path (Psalm 119:105). It is the primary way God guides us. Read it. Study it. Meditate on it. Memorize it. Let it dwell in you richly. The more you know God's Word, the more you will know God's will. His Word reveals His heart, His character, and His purposes.

Seek Wise Counsel: God often speaks through other people. Seek counsel from mature believers—pastors, mentors, elders, and trusted friends. Share your situation with them. Ask them to pray with you. Ask them for their perspective. "Where there is no counsel, the people fall; but in the multitude of counselors there is safety" (Proverbs 11:14).

Wait for Peace: God often confirms His will through peace. "Let the peace of God rule in your hearts" (Colossians 3:15). The word "rule" is brabeuō, which means to be an umpire or to act as a referee. When you are torn between options, let God's peace be the umpire. If you have no peace, wait. If you have peace that passes understanding (Philippians 4:7), move forward.

Be Willing to Obey: Seeking God's will is not just about knowing what to do; it is about being willing to do it. If you are not willing to obey, you will not hear. "If anyone wills to do His will, he shall know concerning the doctrine" (John 7:17). Surrender your will to God. Be willing to do whatever He says. Then you will know His will.

Trust His Timing: God's timing is not our timing. He is never late. He is never early. He is always right on time. Do not rush ahead of Him. Do not lag behind Him. Wait for His timing. Trust His process. He knows what He is doing. He will bring His purpose to pass in His perfect time.

Acknowledge Him Daily: Do not just seek God for the big decisions. Acknowledge Him in all your ways. Seek Him daily. Involve Him in every area of your life—your work, your relationships, your finances, your health, your family, your future. Make Him part of every decision, big or small. Let Him be your constant companion and guide.

Ask Yourself

Do I seek God before I make decisions, or do I rely on my own understanding?

Have I been leaning on my own wisdom rather than trusting God?

Am I too impatient to wait for God's answer?

Have I confused my own desires with God's will?

Do I seek God for the big decisions but neglect Him for the small ones?

Am I willing to obey whatever God tells me to do?

Do I trust God's timing, even when it is not my timing?

Do I believe that God will give me the wisdom I need?

Reflection

Do not move without seeking God. This is the warning. This is the plea. This is the invitation. Your own understanding is limited. Your own wisdom is finite. Your own perspective is flawed. You cannot see the end from the beginning. You do not know what lies around the corner. But God does. He knows everything. He sees everything. He understands everything. And He is willing to guide you. He is willing to direct your paths. He is willing to give you wisdom.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart. Lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him. And He shall direct your paths. This is the promise. This is the path to peace. This is the secret to making wise decisions. Trust God completely. Surrender your will to Him. Seek His wisdom. Wait for His direction. And He will lead you. He will guide you. He will direct you. He will make your path straight.

If you lack wisdom, ask God. He gives generously. He gives without reproach. He does not mock you. He does not shame you. He does not scold you. He gives. He gives freely. He gives abundantly. He gives to all who ask. So ask. Seek. Knock. And the door will be opened. The wisdom will be given. The guidance will come. The path will be made clear.

Do not move without seeking God. Do not take a step without His direction. Do not make a decision without His wisdom. He is your Shepherd. He will lead you. He is your Guide. He will direct you. He is your Counselor. He will advise you. He is your Father. He will care for you. Trust Him. Seek Him. Follow Him. And you will never walk alone. You will never be lost. You will never stumble in the dark. He will light your path. He will direct your steps. He will bring you to the destination He has prepared for you.

Prayer

Father, I confess that I have moved without seeking You. I have relied on my own understanding. I have leaned on my own wisdom. I have made decisions without praying. I have taken steps without asking for Your guidance. Forgive me. Today, I choose to seek You before I move. I choose to trust You with all my heart. I choose to lean not on my own understanding. I choose to acknowledge You in all my ways. I choose to ask for wisdom. I choose to wait for Your direction. I choose to follow Your leading. Teach me to hear Your voice. Teach me to discern Your will. Teach me to trust Your timing. I believe that You will direct my paths. I believe that You will give me the wisdom I need. I believe that You will guide me every step of the way. Help me to depend on You. Help me to trust You. Help me to obey You. In Jesus' mighty name, Amen.

Declaration

I declare that I will not move without seeking God. I will not rely on my own understanding. I will trust in the Lord with all my heart. I will lean not on my own understanding. I will acknowledge Him in all my ways. He will direct my paths. If I lack wisdom, I will ask God. He gives generously and without reproach. It will be given to me. I will pray before I decide. I will search the Scriptures. I will seek wise counsel. I will wait for peace. I will be willing to obey. I will trust His timing. I will acknowledge Him daily. I will not move without seeking God. He is my Shepherd. He will lead me. He is my Guide. He will direct me. He is my Counselor. He will advise me. I will follow Him. I will trust Him. I will obey Him. I will not move without seeking Him.

Concluding Scripture

📖 Psalm 32:8 (NKJV)
"I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will guide you with My eye."

A Final Word

Do not move without seeking God. This is the warning. This is the plea. This is the invitation. Your own understanding is limited. Your own wisdom is finite. Your own perspective is flawed. You cannot see the end from the beginning. You do not know what lies around the corner. But God does. He knows everything. He sees everything. He understands everything. And He is willing to guide you. He is willing to direct your paths. He is willing to give you wisdom.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart. Lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him. And He shall direct your paths. This is the promise. This is the path to peace. This is the secret to making wise decisions. Trust God completely. Surrender your will to Him. Seek His wisdom. Wait for His direction. And He will lead you. He will guide you. He will direct you. He will make your path straight.

If you lack wisdom, ask God. He gives generously. He gives without reproach. He does not mock you. He does not shame you. He does not scold you. He gives. He gives freely. He gives abundantly. He gives to all who ask. So ask. Seek. Knock. And the door will be opened. The wisdom will be given. The guidance will come. The path will be made clear.

Do not move without seeking God. Do not take a step without His direction. Do not make a decision without His wisdom. He is your Shepherd. He will lead you. He is your Guide. He will direct you. He is your Counselor. He will advise you. He is your Father. He will care for you. Trust Him. Seek Him. Follow Him. And you will never walk alone. You will never be lost. You will never stumble in the dark. He will light your path. He will direct your steps. He will bring you to the destination He has prepared for you. 

Comments