YOU WERE NEVER MEANT TO CONTROL EVERYTHING

YOU WERE NEVER MEANT TO CONTROL EVERYTHING

THE PEACE OF SURRENDER

Key Scripture

📖 Proverbs 3:5–6 (NKJV)
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths."

📖 Psalm 37:5 (NKJV)
"Commit your way to the Lord, trust also in Him, and He shall bring it to pass."

Introduction

There is a burden that many believers carry—a burden that was never meant for them to bear. It is the burden of trying to control everything. It is the burden of trying to manage every outcome, predict every result, and determine every destiny. It is the burden of trying to be God. And it is a burden that is crushing countless believers under its weight.

We live in a world that celebrates control. We are told to take charge, to be proactive, to make things happen, to master our fate, to control our destiny. We are told that if we just work hard enough, plan well enough, and strategize effectively enough, we can determine the outcome of our lives. And so we try. We try to control our careers. We try to control our relationships. We try to control our finances. We try to control our children. We try to control our futures. We try to control everything. And we exhaust ourselves in the process.

But here is the truth that we must embrace: you were never meant to control everything. You were never meant to be God. You were never meant to carry the weight of the world on your shoulders. You were never meant to manage every outcome, predict every result, and determine every destiny. That is God's job. Not yours. And when you try to do His job, you will exhaust yourself, frustrate yourself, and ultimately fail. You were never meant to control everything.

The book of Proverbs declares, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths." The Hebrew word for "trust" is batach, which means to cling to, to be confident in, or to feel secure. It implies a total reliance on someone who is completely trustworthy. The word for "lean" is sha'an, which means to support oneself on, to rely upon, or to rest upon. The word for "understanding" is binah, which means insight, discernment, or comprehension. The word for "acknowledge" is yada, which means to know intimately, to recognize, or to be aware of. The word for "direct" is yashar, which means to make straight, to level, or to guide.

Solomon is saying, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart. Do not lean on your own understanding. Do not rely on your own insight. Do not rest on your own comprehension. In all your ways acknowledge Him. Bring Him into every decision, every thought, and every step. And He shall direct your paths. He shall make your paths straight. He shall guide you. He shall lead you. He shall take responsibility for your direction."

David echoed this truth in Psalm 37:5: "Commit your way to the Lord, trust also in Him, and He shall bring it to pass." The Hebrew word for "commit" is galal, which means to roll, to roll away, to roll upon, or to commit. It is the picture of rolling a heavy burden off your shoulders and onto someone else. It is the act of transferring your weight, your worry, and your responsibility to the Lord. The word for "way" is derek, which means path, journey, or manner of life. The word for "trust" is batach, the same word used in Proverbs 3:5. The word for "bring it to pass" is asah, which means to do, to accomplish, to bring about, or to perform.

David is saying, "Roll your path onto the Lord. Give Him your journey. Give Him your direction. Give Him your plans. Give Him your purposes. Give Him your future. Trust in Him. And He shall bring it to pass. He shall accomplish it. He shall perform it. He shall make it happen."

This teaching is for everyone who has been trying to control everything. It is for the one who has been carrying the weight of the world on their shoulders. It is for the one who has been exhausted by the effort of trying to manage every outcome. It is for the one who has been anxious about the future. It is for the one who has been trying to be God. It is time to release control. It is time to surrender. It is time to trust. It is time to understand that you were never meant to control everything.

Biblical Truth

Proverbs 3:5–6 and Psalm 37:5 together provide a powerful biblical framework for understanding the peace that comes from surrendering control to God. They reveal that we are to trust God with all our hearts, lean not on our own understanding, acknowledge Him in all our ways, and commit our way to Him.

Proverbs 3:5–6 is one of the most beloved passages in all of Scripture. It is a prescription for peace in the midst of uncertainty. It is a call to trust in the Lord with all your heart and to lean not on your own understanding.

The Hebrew word for "trust" is batach, which means to cling to, to be confident in, or to feel secure. It implies a total reliance on someone who is completely trustworthy. It is the same word used in Psalm 20:7: "Some trust in chariots, and some in horses; but we will remember the name of the Lord our God." Trust is not a passive feeling; it is an active choice to place your confidence in God rather than in your own resources, understanding, or strength.

The command is to trust with "all your heart." The heart, in Hebrew thought, is not just the seat of emotion but the centre of the whole person—mind, will, and emotions. Trusting with all your heart means holding nothing back. It means surrendering every fear, every doubt, every question, and every anxiety to God. It is a wholehearted reliance that leaves no room for self-sufficiency.

The phrase "lean not on your own understanding" is the negative counterpart to trust. The Hebrew word for "lean" is sha'an, which means to support oneself on, to rely upon, or to rest upon. The word for "understanding" is binah, which means insight, discernment, or comprehension. When we are facing uncertainty, we naturally lean on our own understanding. We analyse, we rationalize, we try to figure out the "why" and the "how." But Solomon warns that this is a dangerous posture. Human understanding is limited, fallen, and easily deceived. Our understanding, especially in moments of uncertainty, is not a reliable foundation.

The positive action is to "acknowledge" God in all your ways. The Hebrew word is yada, which means to know intimately, to recognize, or to be aware of. Acknowledging God means bringing Him into every decision, every thought, and every step. It means saying, "Lord, I do not know what to do, but I know You. I do not understand this situation, but I understand that You are sovereign. I cannot see the path ahead, but I see You."

The promise is that God "shall direct your paths." The Hebrew word for "direct" is yashar, which means to make straight, to level, or to guide. When we trust, refuse to lean on our own understanding, and acknowledge Him, God takes the responsibility for our direction. He straightens the crooked paths. He opens doors that no man can shut and shuts doors that no man can open. He makes a way where there seems to be no way. This is not a promise of a trouble-free life; it is a promise of divine guidance through the trouble.

Psalm 37:5 expands on this truth. David writes, "Commit your way to the Lord, trust also in Him, and He shall bring it to pass."

The Hebrew word for "commit" is galal, which means to roll, to roll away, to roll upon, or to commit. It is the picture of rolling a heavy burden off your shoulders and onto someone else. It is the act of transferring your weight, your worry, and your responsibility to the Lord. It is the same word used in Joshua 5:9, where God says, "This day I have rolled away the reproach of Egypt from you." It is the same word used in Psalm 22:8, where the enemies of David say, "He trusted in the Lord, let Him rescue Him; let Him deliver Him, since He delights in Him!" The idea is that of complete transfer. You roll your burden onto the Lord. You give it to Him. You release it to Him.

The word for "way" is derek, which means path, journey, or manner of life. It refers to your course, your direction, your plans, your purposes, and your future. David is saying, "Roll your path onto the Lord. Give Him your journey. Give Him your direction. Give Him your plans. Give Him your purposes. Give Him your future."

The word for "trust" is batach, the same word used in Proverbs 3:5. It means to cling to, to be confident in, or to feel secure. It implies a total reliance on someone who is completely trustworthy.

The promise is that God "shall bring it to pass." The Hebrew word for "bring it to pass" is asah, which means to do, to accomplish, to bring about, or to perform. It is the same word used in Genesis 1:7, where God made the firmament. It is the same word used in Genesis 1:16, where God made the sun and the moon. It is the same word used in Genesis 1:25, where God made the beasts of the earth. God is a God who does things. He is a God who accomplishes things. He is a God who brings things to pass. When you commit your way to Him, He will bring it to pass. He will accomplish it. He will perform it. He will make it happen.

The principle of surrendering control is woven throughout Scripture. Abraham was called to leave his homeland and go to a land that God would show him (Genesis 12:1). He did not know where he was going, but he trusted God. He surrendered control. Moses was called to lead the Israelites out of Egypt and into the Promised Land (Exodus 3:10). He did not know what would happen, but he trusted God. He surrendered control. David was anointed as king as a young boy, but he spent years running from Saul before he took the throne (1 Samuel 16:13; 2 Samuel 5:4). He did not know when the promise would be fulfilled, but he trusted God. He surrendered control. Esther was called to risk her life to save her people (Esther 4:14). She did not know if she would survive, but she trusted God. She surrendered control. Mary was told she would conceive a child by the Holy Spirit (Luke 1:31). She did not understand how it could happen, but she trusted God. She surrendered control. The pattern is clear: the people of God surrender control. They trust Him. They commit their way to Him. And He brings it to pass.

The example of Jesus is our ultimate model. Jesus trusted the Father with everything. He did not try to control His circumstances. He did not try to manage every outcome. He did not try to determine His own destiny. He surrendered to the Father's will. He said, "Father, if it is Your will, take this cup away from Me; nevertheless not My will, but Yours, be done" (Luke 22:42). He committed His way to the Lord. He trusted in Him. And the Father brought it to pass. He raised Him from the dead. He exalted Him to the highest place. He gave Him the name above every name. And because Jesus surrendered control, we can surrender control. Because Jesus trusted the Father, we can trust the Father.

What We Often Get Wrong

The first and most common error is that we believe we can control everything. We think that if we just work hard enough, plan well enough, and strategize effectively enough, we can determine the outcome of our lives. We think that we are in control. We think that we are the masters of our fate. We think that we are the captains of our souls. But this is a lie. We are not in control. God is. We are not the masters of our fate. God is. We are not the captains of our souls. God is. We were never meant to control everything.

Second, we try to control other people. We try to control our spouses. We try to control our children. We try to control our friends. We try to control our coworkers. We try to control our churches. We try to manipulate, to coerce, to pressure, to persuade. We try to make people do what we want them to do. But we cannot control other people. We can influence them. We can love them. We can pray for them. But we cannot control them. They have their own free will. They have their own choices. They have their own destinies. We must release them to God. We must trust Him to work in their lives.

Third, we try to control our circumstances. We try to manage every outcome. We try to predict every result. We try to determine every destiny. We try to fix every problem. We try to solve every crisis. We try to prevent every difficulty. But we cannot control our circumstances. We can respond to them. We can trust God in them. We can learn from them. But we cannot control them. Life is unpredictable. Life is uncertain. Life is full of surprises. We must release control. We must trust God.

Fourth, we become anxious when things are out of our control. We worry. We stress. We fret. We lose sleep. We become consumed with fear. We become paralyzed by uncertainty. But anxiety is the fruit of trying to control what we cannot control. It is the result of trying to be God. When we surrender control to God, anxiety loses its grip. When we trust Him, peace fills our hearts. When we commit our way to Him, He brings it to pass.

Fifth, we believe that surrender is weakness. We think that if we surrender control, we are being weak. We think that if we trust God, we are being passive. We think that if we commit our way to Him, we are being irresponsible. But the opposite is true. Surrender is strength. Trust is courage. Committing your way to the Lord is wisdom. It takes more strength to surrender than to control. It takes more courage to trust than to worry. It takes more wisdom to commit than to manipulate.

Sixth, we believe that we can handle everything on our own. We think that we are strong enough, smart enough, and resourceful enough to figure everything out. We think that we do not need God. We think that we do not need anyone. We think that we can manage on our own. But we cannot. We are not sufficient in ourselves. We need God. We need His wisdom. We need His strength. We need His guidance. We need His provision. We need His protection. We need Him.

Seventh, we forget that God is in control. We forget that He is sovereign. We forget that He is on the throne. We forget that He sees the end from the beginning. We forget that He works all things according to the counsel of His will. We forget that He is working all things together for good. We forget that He holds the times and seasons in His hands. He is in control. We are not. And when we remember that, we can rest. We can trust. We can surrender.

God's Perspective

God views your desire for control as a form of pride. When you try to control everything, you are saying, "I know better than God. I can figure this out on my own. I do not need His help." But this is the original sin—the desire to be like God, to be independent, to be self-sufficient. God wants you to humble yourself. He wants you to acknowledge your need for Him. He wants you to trust Him with all your heart. He wants you to surrender control.

God's perspective is that He is the only one who is truly in control. He is sovereign. He is on the throne. He sees the end from the beginning. He knows what is best. He knows what you need. He knows what will bring Him glory and what will bring you good. He is working all things together for good. He is working all things according to the counsel of His will. He is in control. You are not. Trust Him.

God sees your anxiety as a sign of misplaced trust. When you are anxious, you are trusting in your own ability to control the situation. You are trusting in your own understanding. You are trusting in your own resources. But you are not trusting in God. You are not trusting in His sovereignty. You are not trusting in His goodness. You are not trusting in His faithfulness. Anxiety is a call to trust. It is a call to surrender. It is a call to release control and rest in Him.

God's perspective is that He is your Provider. You do not have to control the outcome. You do not have to manage every detail. You do not have to determine every destiny. God is your Provider. He will provide for your needs. He will take care of you. He will not abandon you. He will not forsake you. He is faithful. He is good. He is your Provider. Trust Him. He will provide.

God sees your future as already planned and prepared. He knows the end from the beginning. He has already mapped out the journey. He has already prepared the way. He has already secured the victory. He is already there, ahead of you, preparing the way. You do not have to control the future. You do not have to predict the future. You do not have to determine the future. God has already done it. Trust Him. He will bring it to pass.

God's perspective is that He wants you to rest. He does not want you to be anxious. He does not want you to be stressed. He does not want you to be consumed with worry. He wants you to rest. He wants you to trust. He wants you to surrender. He wants you to experience the peace that comes from knowing that He is in control. He wants you to experience the rest that comes from committing your way to Him. He wants you to experience the freedom that comes from releasing control.

Practical Application

Identify What You Are Trying to Control: Ask the Holy Spirit to reveal what you are trying to control. Ask Him to show you the areas where you are trying to be God. Ask Him to show you the outcomes you are trying to manage, the people you are trying to control, the circumstances you are trying to fix. Confess these things. Repent of them. Surrender them to God.

Surrender Control Daily: Make it a daily practice to surrender control to God. Every morning, say, "Lord, I surrender control to You. I give You my day. I give You my plans. I give You my outcomes. I give You my future. I trust You to direct my paths. I trust You to bring it to pass." Do this daily. Do this moment by moment.

Trust God with All Your Heart: Trust is a choice. It is not a feeling. It is a decision. Make the decision to trust God with all your heart. Say, "I trust You, Lord. I trust Your wisdom. I trust Your timing. I trust Your plan. I trust Your love. I trust Your faithfulness. I trust You with everything." Trust Him. He is worthy of your trust.

Lean Not on Your Own Understanding: Stop relying on your own wisdom, your own analysis, your own reasoning. Stop trying to figure everything out. Stop demanding answers. Release your need to understand. Say, "Lord, I do not understand, but I trust You. I do not know what to do, but I know You. I cannot see the path ahead, but I see You." Lean on Him, not on your own understanding.

Acknowledge God in All Your Ways: Bring God into every decision, every thought, and every step. Acknowledge Him in all your ways. Say, "Lord, I acknowledge You in this situation. I acknowledge You in this decision. I acknowledge You in this trial. I trust You to direct my paths." Do not make decisions without Him. Do not take steps without Him. Acknowledge Him in everything.

Commit Your Way to the Lord: Roll your path onto the Lord. Give Him your journey. Give Him your direction. Give Him your plans. Give Him your purposes. Give Him your future. Say, "Lord, I commit my way to You. I roll my path onto You. I give You my plans, my dreams, my goals, and my desires. I trust You to direct my steps. I trust You to bring Your purposes to pass." Commit your way to Him.

Rest in God's Sovereignty: Because God is in control, you can rest. You do not have to make things happen. You do not have to force outcomes. You do not have to manipulate circumstances. You can trust that God is working all things together for good. Rest in His sovereignty. Rest in His wisdom. Rest in His love. He has you in His hands. He holds your future. You can rest.

Ask Yourself

Am I trying to control everything?

Am I trying to be God?

Am I leaning on my own understanding?

Am I anxious about the future?

Am I willing to surrender control to God?

Am I trusting God with all my heart?

Am I committing my way to the Lord?

Am I resting in God's sovereignty?

Reflection

You were never meant to control everything. This is the truth. This is the liberation. This is the invitation. You were never meant to be God. You were never meant to carry the weight of the world on your shoulders. You were never meant to manage every outcome, predict every result, and determine every destiny. That is God's job. Not yours. And when you try to do His job, you will exhaust yourself, frustrate yourself, and ultimately fail. You were never meant to control everything.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart. Lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him. And He shall direct your paths. This is the promise. This is the path to peace. This is the secret to rest. Trust God completely. Surrender your will to Him. Seek His wisdom. Wait for His direction. And He will lead you. He will guide you. He will direct you. He will make your path straight.

Commit your way to the Lord. Trust also in Him. And He shall bring it to pass. This is the truth. This is the promise. This is the invitation. Roll your path onto the Lord. Give Him your journey. Give Him your direction. Give Him your plans. Give Him your purposes. Give Him your future. Trust in Him. And He shall bring it to pass. He shall accomplish it. He shall perform it. He shall make it happen.

So release control. Surrender your will to God. Trust Him with all your heart. Lean not on your own understanding. Acknowledge Him in all your ways. Commit your way to Him. And rest in His sovereignty. You were never meant to control everything. You were meant to trust the One who does. Trust Him. He is in control. He is sovereign. He is faithful. He will bring it to pass.

Prayer

Father, I confess that I have tried to control everything. I have tried to be God. I have tried to manage every outcome, predict every result, and determine every destiny. I have leaned on my own understanding. I have been anxious about the future. I have carried the weight of the world on my shoulders. Forgive me. Today, I choose to surrender control to You. I choose to trust You with all my heart. I choose to lean not on my own understanding. I choose to acknowledge You in all my ways. I choose to commit my way to You. I choose to rest in Your sovereignty. Direct my paths. Lead me on the right path. Guide me to the right destination. Bring Your purposes to pass in my life. I trust You. I trust Your wisdom. I trust Your timing. I trust Your plan. I trust Your love. I trust Your faithfulness. You are in control. I am not. And I am so grateful that You are. In Jesus' mighty name, Amen.

Declaration

I declare that I was never meant to control everything. I am not God. I was not meant to be God. I was not meant to carry the weight of the world on my shoulders. I was not meant to manage every outcome, predict every result, or determine every destiny. That is God's job. Not mine. I release control. I surrender my will to God. I trust in the Lord with all my heart. I lean not on my own understanding. In all my ways I acknowledge Him. And He shall direct my paths. I commit my way to the Lord. I trust also in Him. And He shall bring it to pass. I roll my path onto Him. I give Him my journey. I give Him my plans. I give Him my purposes. I give Him my future. I trust Him to direct my steps. I trust Him to bring His purposes to pass. I rest in His sovereignty. I rest in His wisdom. I rest in His love. He is in control. I am not. And I am at peace. I was never meant to control everything. I was meant to trust the One who does. And I do. I trust Him. I trust Him. I trust Him.

Concluding Scripture

📖 Proverbs 3:5–6 (NKJV)
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths."

A Final Word

You were never meant to control everything. This is the truth. This is the liberation. This is the invitation. You were never meant to be God. You were never meant to carry the weight of the world on your shoulders. You were never meant to manage every outcome, predict every result, and determine every destiny. That is God's job. Not yours. And when you try to do His job, you will exhaust yourself, frustrate yourself, and ultimately fail. You were never meant to control everything.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart. Lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him. And He shall direct your paths. This is the promise. This is the path to peace. This is the secret to rest. Trust God completely. Surrender your will to Him. Seek His wisdom. Wait for His direction. And He will lead you. He will guide you. He will direct you. He will make your path straight.

Commit your way to the Lord. Trust also in Him. And He shall bring it to pass. This is the truth. This is the promise. This is the invitation. Roll your path onto the Lord. Give Him your journey. Give Him your direction. Give Him your plans. Give Him your purposes. Give Him your future. Trust in Him. And He shall bring it to pass. He shall accomplish it. He shall perform it. He shall make it happen.

So release control. Surrender your will to God. Trust Him with all your heart. Lean not on your own understanding. Acknowledge Him in all your ways. Commit your way to Him. And rest in His sovereignty. You were never meant to control everything. You were meant to trust the One who does. Trust Him. He is in control. He is sovereign. He is faithful. He will bring it to pass.

Comments