EVERY CHOICE HAS A CONSEQUENCE

EVERY CHOICE HAS A CONSEQUENCE

THE LAW OF SOWING AND REAPING

Key Scripture

📖 Galatians 6:7–8 (NKJV)
"Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap. For he who sows to his flesh will of the flesh reap corruption, but he who sows to the Spirit will of the Spirit reap everlasting life."

📖 Deuteronomy 30:19 (NKJV)
"I call heaven and earth as witnesses today against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing; therefore choose life, that both you and your descendants may live."

Introduction

There is a fundamental law woven into the fabric of the universe. It is as certain as gravity and as unchanging as the rising of the sun. It is the law of sowing and reaping. Every seed you plant produces a harvest. Every choice you make produces a consequence. Every action you take sets in motion a chain of events that will inevitably lead to an outcome. This is not a suggestion; it is a spiritual law. It is not a threat; it is a reality. And it applies to every single person, regardless of their status, their wealth, or their spirituality.

The Apostle Paul states this law with striking clarity: "Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap." The Greek word for "mocked" is myktērizō, which means to turn up the nose at, to sneer at, or to deride. Paul is saying, "Do not think you can fool God. Do not think you can escape the consequences of your choices. Do not think you can sow seeds of sin and reap a harvest of blessing. God is not mocked. The law of sowing and reaping is inviolable."

Moses echoed this truth in Deuteronomy 30:19: "I call heaven and earth as witnesses today against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing; therefore choose life, that both you and your descendants may live." The choice is stark. There are two paths. There are two destinies. There are two harvests. And the choice is yours. Every choice has a consequence.

This teaching is for everyone who has ever made a choice. It is for the one who has made good choices and is experiencing the blessing. It is for the one who has made poor choices and is experiencing the pain. It is for the one who is facing a decision right now and needs to understand the weight of their choice. It is for the one who has forgotten that their actions have consequences. It is time to understand the law of sowing and reaping. It is time to recognize that every choice has a consequence.

Biblical Truth

Galatians 6:7–8 and Deuteronomy 30:19 together provide a comprehensive biblical framework for understanding the law of sowing and reaping. They reveal that every choice has a consequence, that we will reap what we sow, and that the choice between life and death is set before us.

Galatians 6:7–8 is one of the clearest statements of the law of sowing and reaping in all of Scripture. Paul writes, "Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap." The Greek word for "sows" is speirō, which means to scatter seed, to plant, or to propagate. It is an agricultural metaphor that would have been immediately understood by Paul's audience. A farmer who plants wheat does not expect to harvest barley. A farmer who plants weeds does not expect to harvest a crop. The principle is simple: you reap what you sow.

The phrase "God is not mocked" is crucial. The Greek word for "mocked" is myktērizō, which means to turn up the nose, to sneer, or to deride. It is the picture of someone who thinks they can outsmart God, who thinks they can break the rules without consequence, who thinks they can sow sin and escape the harvest. Paul says, "Do not be deceived." The Greek word for "deceived" is planaō, which means to wander, to lead astray, or to deceive. It is a warning against self-deception. We can deceive ourselves into thinking that our choices do not matter, that we can get away with sin, that there will be no consequences. But we cannot deceive God. He sees everything. He knows everything. And His laws are inviolable.

Then Paul explains the two types of sowing. First, "For he who sows to his flesh will of the flesh reap corruption." The Greek word for "flesh" is sarx, which refers to the sinful nature, the fallen human nature that is in rebellion against God. To sow to the flesh is to invest your time, your energy, your resources, and your life in the things of the flesh—sinful pleasures, worldly pursuits, selfish ambitions, and ungodly desires. The result is "corruption." The Greek word for "corruption" is phthora, which means decay, destruction, ruin, or death. It is the same word used in Romans 8:21 to describe the bondage of corruption from which creation will be liberated. When you sow to the flesh, you reap decay. You reap destruction. You reap death.

Second, "But he who sows to the Spirit will of the Spirit reap everlasting life." The Greek word for "Spirit" is pneuma, which refers to the Holy Spirit. To sow to the Spirit is to invest your time, your energy, your resources, and your life in the things of the Spirit—prayer, worship, Scripture, service, obedience, and love. The result is "everlasting life." The Greek word for "everlasting" is aiōnios, which means eternal, perpetual, or age-lasting. The word for "life" is zōē, which means life in the fullest sense—spiritual life, abundant life, eternal life. When you sow to the Spirit, you reap life. You reap joy. You reap peace. You reap eternal rewards.

Deuteronomy 30:19 is Moses' final appeal to the people of Israel before they entered the Promised Land. He has laid out before them the blessings of obedience and the curses of disobedience. He has called heaven and earth as witnesses against them. He has set before them two paths: life and death, blessing and cursing. Then he says, "Therefore choose life, that both you and your descendants may live."

The Hebrew word for "choose" is bachar, which means to select, to prefer, or to decide. It is an active decision. It is not passive. God does not make the choice for you. He sets it before you and commands you to choose. The motivation is not just for your own sake but for the sake of your descendants. Your choice affects not only you but your children, your grandchildren, and generations to come.

The phrase "that both you and your descendants may live" reveals the generational impact of our choices. The choices you make today will impact your children tomorrow. The seeds you plant today will produce a harvest for generations to come. This is a sobering reality. Your choices are not just about you. They are about your legacy. They are about your family. They are about the future.

The principle of sowing and reaping is woven throughout Scripture. Job declared, "Those who plow iniquity and sow trouble reap the same" (Job 4:8). The psalmist wrote, "He who sows iniquity will reap sorrow" (Proverbs 22:8). Hosea declared, "They sow the wind, and reap the whirlwind" (Hosea 8:7). Paul wrote, "For if you live according to the flesh you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live" (Romans 8:13).

The example of Israel is instructive. They were given a choice: obey God and be blessed, or disobey God and be cursed. They chose disobedience, and they reaped the consequences—exile, destruction, and suffering. But even in their failure, God offered them a choice. In Deuteronomy 30:19, Moses called them to choose life. He called them to turn back to God and receive His restoration.

The example of Jesus is our ultimate model. Jesus always chose to sow to the Spirit. He sowed obedience, love, humility, and sacrifice. And He reaped resurrection, glory, and the salvation of the world. He said, "I have glorified You on the earth. I have finished the work which You have given Me to do" (John 17:4). He chose life, and He reaped eternal life—not just for Himself, but for all who believe.

What We Often Get Wrong

The first and most common error is that we believe we can escape the consequences of our choices. We think that we can sin without reaping, that we can make poor decisions without suffering, that we can break God's laws without facing the consequences. But this is a lie. God is not mocked. Whatever a man sows, he will also reap. The harvest is certain. The consequence is inevitable. We cannot escape the law of sowing and reaping.

Second, we believe that grace cancels consequences. We say, "I am under grace, so I can sin all I want. God will forgive me." But this is a fundamental misunderstanding of grace. Grace forgives us, but it does not eliminate consequences. David was forgiven for his adultery and murder, but he still suffered the consequences—his child died, his family was fractured, and his kingdom was troubled. Grace does not mean there are no consequences; it means we are not condemned for our sin. But we still reap what we sow.

Third, we focus on the immediate rather than the eternal. We make choices based on immediate gratification rather than eternal reward. We sow to the flesh because it feels good in the moment. We choose the path of least resistance because it is easy. We neglect the things of God because they require effort. But we are not living for this life only. We are living for eternity. We must make choices based on eternal values, not temporal pleasures.

Fourth, we believe that our choices only affect us. We think that we can make decisions in isolation, that our actions do not impact anyone else. But this is not true. Our choices affect our families, our friends, our churches, and our communities. Our choices affect the next generation. The seeds we plant today will produce a harvest that others will reap. We must consider the impact of our choices beyond ourselves.

Fifth, we blame others for our consequences. We blame our parents, our circumstances, our upbringing, or the devil for the mess we are in. We refuse to take responsibility for our own choices. But the law of sowing and reaping is clear: we reap what we sow. We cannot blame anyone else for the harvest we are reaping. We must take responsibility for our choices and the consequences that follow.

Sixth, we give up when we are reaping bad consequences. We think that because we made poor choices in the past, our future is hopeless. We believe we are doomed to suffer forever. But this is not true. While we cannot change the past, we can change the future. We can start sowing to the Spirit today. We can make better choices today. We can plant seeds of obedience, love, and faith. And in time, we will reap a different harvest. The law of sowing and reaping works both ways.

Seventh, we forget that the harvest is later than the sowing. We want immediate results. We want to see the fruit of our choices right away. But the law of sowing and reaping operates on a time delay. The farmer sows in the spring and reaps in the fall. He does not see the harvest the day after he plants. There is a season of waiting, a season of growth, a season of cultivation. We must be patient. We must trust that the harvest will come in due season.

God's Perspective

God views your choices as seeds that produce a harvest. Every choice you make is a seed planted in the soil of your life. Some seeds produce good fruit; some seeds produce bad fruit. Some seeds produce life; some seeds produce death. God is not arbitrary in His judgment. He is simply enforcing the law of sowing and reaping. He is not punishing you for your choices; He is allowing the natural consequences to unfold. He is also inviting you to choose wisely, to sow to the Spirit, and to reap a harvest of blessing.

God's perspective is that He has set before you life and death. He is not hiding the choice from you. He is not keeping you in the dark. He has clearly revealed the two paths—the path of life and the path of death, the path of blessing and the path of cursing. He has told you what will happen if you choose obedience, and He has told you what will happen if you choose disobedience. He is not trying to trick you. He is not trying to set you up for failure. He is pleading with you to choose life.

God sees your choices as an expression of your love. Jesus said, "If you love Me, keep My commandments" (John 14:15). Every choice you make is a declaration of your love. When you choose to obey God, you are declaring your love for Him. When you choose to disobey, you are declaring your love for something else. Your choices reveal the true allegiance of your heart.

God's perspective is that He will forgive your past, but you must still reap. When you confess your sins, God is faithful and just to forgive you and cleanse you from all unrighteousness (1 John 1:9). He does not hold your sins against you. He does not condemn you. But the consequences of your choices may still unfold. He forgives you, but He does not always remove the harvest. He forgives you, and He walks with you through the consequences. He is with you in the valley. He is with you in the pain. He will bring you through.

God sees your choices as having generational impact. Your choices affect your children, your grandchildren, and generations to come. You are planting seeds that will produce a harvest for those who come after you. You can plant seeds of faith, love, and obedience that will bless your family for generations. Or you can plant seeds of sin, addiction, and destruction that will curse your family for generations. The choice is yours. Choose wisely.

God's perspective is that He is the God of second chances. Even if you have made poor choices, even if you are reaping a harvest of pain, you can start sowing to the Spirit today. You can make better choices. You can plant seeds of righteousness. You can trust God to redeem your past and restore your future. He is the God of the second chance. He is the God of restoration. He is the God who brings life out of death.

Practical Application

Examine Your Seeds: Take an honest inventory of your life. What are you sowing? What are you planting with your time, your energy, your resources, and your attention? Are you sowing to the flesh or to the Spirit? Be honest with yourself. If you identify areas where you are sowing to the flesh, confess them and commit to change.

Choose Life Daily: Every day, you have a choice. Every moment, you have a choice. Choose life. Choose to obey God. Choose to walk in His ways. Choose to sow to the Spirit. Choose to plant seeds of love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control (Galatians 5:22-23). Make the choice to follow Christ every single day.

Take Responsibility for Your Choices: Stop blaming others for your circumstances. Stop making excuses. Take responsibility for your choices. Acknowledge that you are where you are because of the seeds you have sown. And if you do not like the harvest, change the seeds. You cannot change the past, but you can change the future by making different choices today.

Be Patient in the Harvest: The harvest does not come immediately. The farmer waits for the early and late rain (James 5:7). Be patient. Trust that the seeds you are sowing today will produce a harvest in due season. Do not give up because you do not see immediate results. Keep sowing. Keep planting. Keep trusting. The harvest is coming.

Sow to the Spirit: Intentionally invest in the things of God. Read your Bible. Pray. Fast. Worship. Serve. Give. Forgive. Love. These are seeds that produce eternal fruit. They may not seem significant in the moment, but they will produce a harvest of blessing in the future. Sow to the Spirit every day.

Consider Future Generations: You are not just living for yourself. You are living for your children, your grandchildren, and generations to come. Your choices today will impact them tomorrow. Choose to plant seeds that will bless them. Choose to leave a legacy of faith, not a legacy of sin. Choose life so that your descendants may live.

Trust God's Redemption: Even if you have made poor choices in the past, even if you are reaping a painful harvest, God can redeem your story. He can restore the years that the locusts have eaten (Joel 2:25). He can bring beauty out of ashes (Isaiah 61:3). He can turn your mess into a message. Trust His redemption. Trust His restoration. Trust His grace.

Ask Yourself

What am I sowing with my time, my energy, and my resources?

Am I sowing to the flesh or to the Spirit?

Am I taking responsibility for my choices, or am I blaming others?

Am I choosing life daily, or am I making choices that lead to death?

Have I considered the generational impact of my choices?

Am I patient in the harvest, or am I giving up because I do not see immediate results?

Do I trust God to redeem my past and restore my future?

Reflection

Every choice has a consequence. Every seed you plant will produce a harvest. This is not a threat; it is a reality. It is the law of sowing and reaping. And it applies to every area of your life—your words, your actions, your relationships, your finances, your time, and your thoughts. You cannot escape it. You cannot outsmart it. You cannot bribe it. God is not mocked. Whatever you sow, you will also reap.

But this is also a promise. If you sow to the Spirit, you will reap everlasting life. If you choose life, you will be blessed. If you plant seeds of obedience, you will harvest a crop of righteousness. The law works both ways. It is not just a warning; it is an invitation. It is a call to choose wisely. It is a call to plant good seeds. It is a call to choose life.

So examine your seeds. Change your choices. Start sowing to the Spirit today. Choose life. Choose obedience. Choose blessing. And trust God to bring the harvest. It may take time. It may require patience. But the harvest is coming. And when it comes, you will reap what you have sown. So sow wisely. Sow generously. Sow to the Spirit. And you will reap a harvest of eternal life.

Prayer

Father, I confess that I have made poor choices in the past. I have sowed to the flesh and reaped corruption. I have made decisions that have brought pain, destruction, and regret. I am sorry. Forgive me. Today, I choose to change my seeds. I choose to sow to the Spirit. I choose to plant seeds of love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. I choose life. I choose obedience. I choose blessing. I know that I will reap what I sow. Help me to sow wisely. Help me to be patient in the harvest. Help me to trust Your redemption. Help me to leave a legacy of faith for my children and my children's children. I want to hear You say, "Well done, good and faithful servant." I want to enter into Your joy. I want to reap everlasting life. In Jesus' mighty name, Amen.

Declaration

I declare that every choice has a consequence. I will not be deceived. God is not mocked. Whatever I sow, I will also reap. Therefore, I choose to sow to the Spirit. I choose to plant seeds of righteousness. I choose to invest in the things of God. I choose life. I choose blessing. I choose obedience. I reject the path of the flesh. I reject the path of death. I reject the path of cursing. I will not reap corruption. I will reap everlasting life. I take responsibility for my choices. I will not blame others. I will consider the generational impact of my choices. I will leave a legacy of faith. I will trust God's redemption. I will be patient in the harvest. I will reap what I have sown. I will reap life. I will reap blessing. I will reap eternal reward. Every choice has a consequence, and I choose wisely.

Concluding Scripture

📖 Hosea 10:12 (NKJV)
"Sow for yourselves righteousness; reap in mercy; break up your fallow ground, for it is time to seek the Lord, till He comes and rains righteousness on you."

A Final Word

Every choice has a consequence. Every seed you plant will produce a harvest. This is the law of sowing and reaping. It is unchangeable. It is undeniable. It is inescapable. And it applies to you. It applies to me. It applies to everyone.

You cannot escape the consequences of your choices. You cannot outsmart God. You cannot bribe Him. You cannot fool Him. God is not mocked. Whatever you sow, you will also reap. If you sow to the flesh, you will reap corruption. If you sow to the Spirit, you will reap everlasting life.

But this is also a promise. If you choose life, you will be blessed. If you obey God, you will be rewarded. If you plant seeds of righteousness, you will harvest a crop of mercy. The law works both ways. The choice is yours.

So choose wisely. Choose life. Choose obedience. Choose blessing. Plant good seeds. Sow to the Spirit. Be patient in the harvest. Trust God's redemption. Leave a legacy of faith. And you will reap what you have sown. You will reap eternal life. You will hear, "Well done, good and faithful servant." You will enter into the joy of your Lord.

Every choice has a consequence. Choose wisely.

Comments