LEADERSHIP BEGINS WITH SERVANTHOOD
THE GREATNESS OF THE TOWEL AND BASIN
Key Scripture
📖 Mark 10:42–45 (NKJV)
"But Jesus called them to Himself and said to them, 'You know that those who are considered rulers over the Gentiles lord it over them, and their great ones exercise authority over them. Yet it shall not be so among you; but whoever desires to become great among you shall be your servant. And whoever of you desires to be first shall be slave of all. For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many.'"
📖 John 13:12–15 (NKJV)
"So when He had washed their feet, taken His garments, and sat down again, He said to them, 'Do you know what I have done to you? You call Me Teacher and Lord, and you say well, for so I am. If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another's feet. For I have given you an example, that you should do as I have done to you.'"
Introduction
The world has a very clear definition of leadership. It is about position, power, and prestige. It is about being in charge, calling the shots, and having people serve you. It is about climbing the ladder, sitting at the head of the table, and being recognized as the one in authority. Leadership, according to the world, is about ascending—rising above others, gaining control, and wielding influence. The greater your position, the more people serve you. The higher your rank, the more privileges you enjoy.
But Jesus turned this definition completely upside down. When His disciples were arguing about who would be the greatest in the Kingdom, Jesus gathered them and delivered a radical redefinition of leadership: "Whoever desires to become great among you shall be your servant. And whoever of you desires to be first shall be slave of all." In the Kingdom of God, leadership does not begin with authority; it begins with servanthood. It does not begin with being served; it begins with serving. It does not begin with climbing; it begins with descending.
And Jesus did not just teach this truth; He demonstrated it. On the night He was betrayed, knowing that He was about to be arrested, tortured, and crucified, He did something shocking. He took off His outer garment, wrapped a towel around His waist, poured water into a basin, and washed His disciples' feet. This was the task of the lowest servant in a household—a job so degrading that Jewish rabbis said a teacher should never require it of his students. And yet the King of the universe knelt down and washed the dusty, dirty feet of fishermen, tax collectors, and a betrayer. He did not just talk about servanthood; He modeled it. He said, "I have given you an example, that you should do as I have done to you."
This teaching is for everyone who has been called to lead. It is for the pastor, the parent, the manager, the teacher, the team leader, the ministry director, and the mentor. It is for the one who desires to be great in the Kingdom. It is for the one who has misunderstood what leadership truly is. It is time to discover that leadership begins with servanthood. It is time to pick up the towel and the basin. It is time to follow the example of Jesus.
Biblical Truth
Mark 10:42–45 and John 13:12–15 together provide a comprehensive biblical theology of leadership. They reveal that true leadership is not about power but about service, not about position but about sacrifice, and not about being served but about serving.
Mark 10:42–45 is Jesus' response to a request from James and John, the sons of Zebedee. They had come to Jesus asking for the best seats in His Kingdom—one on His right hand and one on His left (Mark 10:37). The other disciples were indignant, not because they were more humble, but because they wanted the same positions. Jesus gathered them and delivered a masterclass on Kingdom leadership.
First, He described the worldly model: "You know that those who are considered rulers over the Gentiles lord it over them, and their great ones exercise authority over them." The Greek word for "lord it over" is katakyrieuō, which means to dominate, to exercise dominion over, or to subjugate. It is the picture of a tyrant who rules by force and intimidation. The world's leaders use their power to control, to coerce, and to command. They measure greatness by how many people serve them.
Then Jesus said, "Yet it shall not be so among you." This is a sharp contrast. The Kingdom of God operates on an entirely different principle. Then He gave the divine model: "But whoever desires to become great among you shall be your servant. And whoever of you desires to be first shall be slave of all." The Greek word for "servant" is diakonos, which means a waiter, an attendant, or one who serves at tables. The Greek word for "slave" is doulos, which means a bondservant, one who is owned by another. Jesus is saying that greatness in the Kingdom is measured by service, and that the highest position is the lowest. The one who wants to be first must be willing to be last. The one who wants to lead must be willing to serve.
Then Jesus gave the ultimate example: "For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many." The Greek word for "ransom" is lytron, which means a price paid for release, a redemption price. Jesus came to serve, and His service culminated in the cross. He laid down His life as a ransom for many. He gave everything He had, including His very life, for the sake of others. This is the ultimate act of servant leadership.
John 13:12–15 is the demonstration of this truth. Jesus had just washed His disciples' feet. He had performed the task of the lowest servant. Then He asked them, "Do you know what I have done to you?" The question was rhetorical. He wanted them to understand the significance of what had just happened. They called Him Teacher and Lord. They acknowledged His authority. And rightly so, for He was and is the Teacher and Lord. But if He, their Lord and Teacher, had washed their feet, then they should also wash one another's feet.
The Greek word for "example" is hypodeigma, which means a pattern, a model, or a copy. It is a visual aid for learning. Jesus did not just tell them what to do; He showed them. He gave them a pattern to follow. He set a standard to emulate. He said, "That you should do as I have done to you." The Greek word for "do" is poieō, which means to make, to perform, or to accomplish. It is an active, ongoing command. We are to do what Jesus did. We are to wash one another's feet. We are to serve one another in humility and love.
The biblical pattern of servant leadership is woven throughout Scripture. Moses was the greatest leader in Israel's history, yet the Bible describes him as the most humble man on the face of the earth (Numbers 12:3). He did not lead by domination; he led by intercession, by sacrifice, and by bearing the burden of the people. David was a shepherd king. He was taken from following sheep to leading a nation. He served his generation according to the will of God (Acts 13:36). Nehemiah rebuilt the walls of Jerusalem not from a throne but from the rubble. He worked alongside the people, and he said, "The God of heaven Himself will prosper us; therefore we His servants will arise and build" (Nehemiah 2:20). John the Baptist said of Jesus, "He must increase, but I must decrease" (John 3:30). He was the forerunner, the one who prepared the way, and he was content to be lesser so that Christ could be greater. Paul described himself as a "bondservant of Jesus Christ" (Romans 1:1). He was a slave to Christ and a servant to all, and he said, "For though I am free from all men, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win the more" (1 Corinthians 9:19). He poured out his life like a drink offering for the sake of the gospel.
The example of Jesus is the ultimate model. He is the King of kings, the Lord of lords, the Creator of the universe. He is worthy of all worship, all honor, and all glory. And yet He humbled Himself. He came to earth as a baby. He lived in obscurity in Nazareth. He worked as a carpenter. He ministered to the outcast, the sinner, and the forgotten. He touched lepers. He healed the sick. He fed the hungry. He wept with the grieving. He washed dirty feet. He laid down His life on the cross. He is the greatest leader who ever lived, and He led by serving.
The importance of servanthood in leadership cannot be overstated. Without servanthood, leadership becomes tyranny. Without humility, authority becomes abuse. Without sacrifice, influence becomes manipulation. Servanthood is the foundation of all true leadership. It is the soil in which greatness grows. It is the mark of a leader who is truly following Christ.
What We Often Get Wrong
The first and most common error is that we define leadership by position. We think that leadership is about titles, ranks, and hierarchy. We think that if we have the title, we have the authority. We think that if we have the position, we have the power. But leadership is not about position; it is about influence. It is not about where you sit; it is about how you serve. It is not about your title; it is about your heart. Jesus did not say, "Whoever wants to be great must get the title." He said, "Whoever wants to be great must become the servant."
Second, we believe that leadership means being served. We think that leaders are the ones who are served, and followers are the ones who serve. We think that once we reach a certain level, we have earned the right to be served. But Jesus said the opposite. He said, "The Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve." If Jesus, the King of the universe, did not come to be served, who are we to expect it? Leadership does not mean being served; it means serving.
Third, we confuse authority with domination. The world tells us that leaders exercise authority over others. They lord it over them. They dominate. They control. But Jesus said, "Yet it shall not be so among you." The Kingdom operates differently. Kingdom leaders do not dominate; they serve. They do not control; they empower. They do not lord it over others; they lay down their lives for others. They use their authority to serve, not to be served.
Fourth, we believe that servanthood is weakness. We think that serving others is a sign of weakness, that it is somehow beneath us, that it makes us look small. But the opposite is true. Servanthood is the greatest strength. It takes more strength to serve than to dominate. It takes more courage to wash feet than to sit on a throne. Jesus, on His knees with a towel and basin, was not weak. He was the strongest man who ever lived.
Fifth, we believe that leadership is about talent, charisma, and skill. We measure leaders by their abilities—their communication skills, their vision, their strategic thinking, their charisma. These things are valuable, but they are not the foundation. The foundation of leadership is character. It is humility. It is integrity. It is servanthood. Without character, talent and charisma are dangerous. They become tools for self-promotion and self-glorification. The foundation must be servanthood.
Sixth, we believe that leadership is a solo endeavor. We think that leaders must be strong and independent, that they must stand alone, that they cannot afford to be vulnerable. But this is not true. Jesus served with His disciples. He washed their feet. He shared His heart with them. He invited them into His life. Leadership is not about standing alone; it is about standing together. It is about serving the team, serving the people, and serving the community.
Seventh, we forget that leadership is ultimately about the Kingdom. We make leadership about ourselves—our legacy, our platform, our influence, our success. But leadership is not about us. It is about God. It is about His Kingdom. It is about His glory. It is about building His church. It is about advancing His purposes. We are not building our kingdom; we are building His. We are not serving ourselves; we are serving Him.
God's Perspective
God views leadership as an assignment of service. He does not elevate people so that they can be served; He elevates people so that they can serve. He gives positions of influence so that people can be a blessing to others. The higher you are in God's economy, the more you are called to serve. The greater your authority, the greater your responsibility to lay down your life for others. Leadership is not a privilege; it is a stewardship. It is a trust that must be used for the benefit of others.
God's perspective is that servanthood is the pathway to greatness. The world says that greatness is achieved by rising above others. God says that greatness is achieved by descending to serve. The world says that the greatest are those who have the most people serving them. God says that the greatest are those who serve the most people. The world says that the first are the ones at the head of the table. God says that the first are the ones with the towel and the basin. The path to true greatness is the path of service.
God sees servanthood as a reflection of His character. God is a servant. He serves His people. He provides for them. He protects them. He guides them. He saves them. He laid down the life of His Son to serve us. When we serve, we are reflecting the character of God. We are showing the world what God is like. We are demonstrating His love, His grace, and His mercy.
God's perspective is that leadership is about influence, not authority. You do not need a title to be a leader. You do not need a position to have influence. You can lead from wherever you are. You can lead your family. You can lead your friends. You can lead your coworkers. You can lead your church. You can lead by serving. You can lead by setting an example. You can lead by laying down your life for others. Influence is not given by position; it is earned by service.
God sees servanthood as the antidote to pride. Pride says, "I deserve to be served. I have earned the right to be honored. I am better than others." Servanthood says, "I am here to serve. I am here to give. I am here to lay down my life." Pride elevates self; servanthood elevates others. Pride destroys; servanthood builds. Pride is the path to destruction; servanthood is the path to life.
God's perspective is that Jesus is the ultimate example. Jesus did not just teach servanthood; He lived it. He came from heaven to earth. He left the throne for the manger. He laid down His life for His friends. He washed dirty feet. He died on a cross. He is the King who serves. He is the Lord who washes feet. He is the Master who lays down His life. And He calls us to follow His example.
Practical Application
Adopt the Mindset of a Servant: Change your mindset. Stop thinking about how others can serve you. Start thinking about how you can serve others. Ask yourself, "What can I do to bless this person? How can I make their life easier? How can I lift their burden?" Adopt the mindset of Christ, who "made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant" (Philippians 2:7).
Serve in Obscurity: Do not serve for recognition. Do not serve to be seen. Serve in secret. Do the unseen tasks. Clean the bathrooms. Set up the chairs. Prepare the meals. Help the unnoticed. Serve without expecting anything in return. "And your Father who sees in secret will Himself reward you openly" (Matthew 6:4).
Put Others First: "Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself. Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others" (Philippians 2:3-4). Practice putting others first. In conversations, listen more than you speak. In decisions, consider others' needs before your own. In relationships, seek to give rather than to receive.
Wash Feet: Identify one person in your life who needs to be served—a weary spouse, a struggling friend, a lonely neighbor, a hurting church member. Find a practical way to serve them. Wash their feet. Meet their need. Do it without fanfare. Do it without expecting anything in return. Do it out of love.
Lead by Example: If you are in a position of leadership, do not lead by command; lead by example. Do not ask others to do what you are unwilling to do. Do not expect others to serve you. Serve them. Model servanthood. Let your life be the pattern they follow. As Paul said, "Imitate me, just as I also imitate Christ" (1 Corinthians 11:1).
Use Authority to Serve: If you have authority, use it to serve, not to dominate. Use your influence to empower others. Use your resources to bless others. Use your platform to elevate others. Use your voice to speak for those who cannot speak. Use your position to lift up the lowly. Authority is not for your benefit; it is for the benefit of others.
Grow in Humility: Servanthood is not a natural trait; it is a supernatural fruit. Ask the Holy Spirit to produce humility in you. Ask Him to reveal your pride. Ask Him to help you die to yourself. Ask Him to help you serve. "God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble" (James 4:6). Humility is the soil in which servanthood grows.
Ask Yourself
Do I define leadership by position or by service?
Am I using my position to serve others or to be served?
Am I willing to do the lowly tasks, or do I think they are beneath me?
Am I serving in secret, or am I serving for recognition?
Am I leading by example, or am I just giving orders?
Am I using my authority to empower others, or to control them?
Am I growing in humility, or am I growing in pride?
Reflection
Leadership begins with servanthood. The towel and the basin come before the throne. The cross comes before the crown. The lowest place comes before the highest place. If you want to be great in the Kingdom, you must first become a servant. If you want to be first, you must first become last. If you want to lead, you must first learn to follow. If you want to be honored, you must first learn to humble yourself.
This is not the way of the world. The world says, "Climb. Ascend. Dominate. Rule." But Jesus says, "Descend. Serve. Give. Lay down your life." The world says, "Get all you can. Keep all you can. Sit on all you can." But Jesus says, "Give all you have. Pour out your life. Lay down everything for the sake of others." The world says, "Serve yourself." But Jesus says, "Serve others."
The world's way leads to emptiness, destruction, and death. Jesus' way leads to fulfillment, purpose, and life. He said, "Whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake and the gospel's will save it" (Mark 8:35). If you want to save your life, you must lose it in service. If you want to be great, you must become a servant. If you want to lead, you must first learn to serve.
Jesus is the greatest leader who ever lived. And He led by washing feet. He led by serving. He led by giving His life as a ransom for many. He is the King who serves. He is the Lord who washes feet. He is the Master who lays down His life. And He calls us to follow His example. He says, "I have given you an example, that you should do as I have done to you" (John 13:15).
So pick up the towel. Pour the water. Kneel down. Serve. And you will discover that the path to greatness is the path of servanthood. The path to being first is the path of being last. The path to leading is the path of serving. Leadership begins with servanthood.
Prayer
Father, I confess that I have misunderstood leadership. I have sought position and power. I have wanted to be served rather than to serve. I have thought that greatness meant being above others rather than serving them. Forgive me for my pride. Forgive me for my selfishness. Forgive me for my desire to be served. Today, I choose to follow the example of Jesus. I choose to become a servant. I choose to humble myself. I choose to take up the towel and the basin. I choose to serve. Help me to lead by serving. Help me to put others first. Help me to do the lowly tasks without complaint. Help me to serve in secret, not for recognition. Help me to use my authority to empower others. Produce humility in me. Fill me with the heart of a servant. Make me more like Jesus, who came not to be served, but to serve, and to give His life as a ransom for many. In His mighty name, Amen.
Declaration
I declare that leadership begins with servanthood. I refuse to lead by domination. I refuse to lead by control. I refuse to lead by selfishness. I will lead by serving. I will lead by giving. I will lead by laying down my life. I am a servant of Jesus Christ. I am a servant of others. I will take up the towel and the basin. I will wash the feet of my brothers and sisters. I will do the lowly tasks. I will serve in secret. I will put others first. I will use my authority to bless, not to dominate. I am a servant leader. I am a servant. I am following the example of Jesus, who came not to be served, but to serve. I am great in the Kingdom because I serve. I am first because I am last. I am honored because I am humble. Leadership begins with servanthood, and I am a servant.
Concluding Scripture
📖 Philippians 2:5–8 (NKJV)
"Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men. And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross."
A Final Word
Leadership begins with servanthood. This is the way of the Kingdom. This is the way of Jesus. He is the King who serves. He is the Lord who washes feet. He is the Master who lays down His life. He is the greatest leader who ever lived, and He led by serving.
If you want to be great, become a servant. If you want to lead, learn to follow. If you want to be first, be last. If you want to be honored, humble yourself. If you want to save your life, lose it in service. This is the paradox of the Kingdom. This is the way of the cross. This is the path to true greatness.
So pick up the towel. Pour the water. Kneel down. Serve. And you will discover that the path to greatness is the path of servanthood. The path to leading is the path of serving. Leadership begins with servanthood.

Comments
Post a Comment