The Hope of Transformation

The Hope of Transformation

What Does It Mean?

This teaching confronts one of the most challenging passages in Scripture regarding sexual sin and offers the hope of transformation through Christ. The instruction begins by defining adultery as any act of sexual impurity, misconduct, or intercourse—real or imagined—that violates the marriage union of its expected fidelity and exclusiveness. While we think of this sin in terms of sexual encounters, God takes it to a higher level of vows and faithfulness.

The teaching then presents a sobering scripture: 1 Corinthians 6:9-10, which declares that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God. The list includes the sexually immoral, idolaters, adulterers, men who have sex with men, thieves, the greedy, drunkards, slanderers, and swindlers. The instruction acknowledges that there are two ways to evaluate this scripture, neither of which is pleasant.

But then comes the hope. The teaching points to verse 11: "And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God." Paul is speaking to believers, reminding them that their past sins—idolatry, adultery, homosexuality, theft, greed, drunkenness, slander, and robbery—are in the past. They are no longer those things. Their sins have been washed away.

The teaching emphasizes the ongoing battle that takes place in the "movie theater of the mind," in the imagination and spiritual heart. Jesus taught that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart. This is where the real issue lies—in our thought-life.

The Twist

The unexpected element in this teaching is the hope found in the midst of a very sobering warning. The list of sins that disqualify people from the kingdom is long and includes many of us. But Paul says, "That is what some of you were." The key word is "were." The past is not the present. Through Christ, transformation is possible. What we were does not determine what we are or what we will become.

Another surprising insight is the distinction between ongoing sin and past sin. The scripture in 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 indicates behavior that is ongoing—a lifestyle of sin without repentance. It does not describe someone who has sinned but repented and been forgiven. This is a crucial distinction that brings hope to those who struggle with guilt over past sins.

The teaching also reveals that the real battle is in the thought-life. Jesus elevated the commandment against adultery to include lustful thoughts. This means that faithfulness is not just about physical actions but about the content of our thoughts and imaginations. The battle begins in the mind.

Perhaps most challenging is the reminder that some of us "were" these things. This means that transformation is real. The power of the gospel is not just forgiveness but transformation. We are not just forgiven; we are changed.

How Does It Apply to Me?

Examine My Life Honestly

The list in 1 Corinthians includes many sins. I need to examine my life honestly and see if any of these sins are present.

I can apply this by:

Not being in denial about my sin

Confessing areas where I have fallen short

Seeking God's forgiveness and transformation

Being honest with myself and with God

Understand the Distinction Between Past and Present

The scripture is about ongoing sin, not past sin that has been repented of. I need to understand that my past sins, when confessed and forgiven, are no longer held against me.

I can do this by:

Not letting past sins define me

Receiving God's forgiveness

Believing that I am washed, sanctified, and justified

Moving forward in freedom

Guard My Thought-Life

The real battle is in the mind. I need to guard my thoughts and imaginations, not just my actions. Lustful thoughts are a form of adultery in the heart.

I can apply this by:

Not entertaining lustful thoughts

Bringing my thoughts captive to Christ

Filling my mind with what is pure and lovely

Being vigilant about what I allow into my mind

Trust in God's Transformative Power

What I was does not have to determine what I am. God has the power to transform me. I need to trust in His transformative power.

I can do this by:

Believing that God can change me

Not giving up on growth

Depending on the Holy Spirit

Embracing the new identity I have in Christ

Receive the Hope of Forgiveness

The hope of the gospel is that we can be washed, sanctified, and justified. I need to receive this hope and not let guilt keep me from God.

I can apply this by:

Not letting guilt separate me from God

Receiving His forgiveness

Believing that I am made right through Christ

Living in the freedom of forgiveness

Fight the Ongoing Battle

The battle is ongoing, especially in the thought-life. I need to fight this battle with the weapons God has given me.

I can do this by:

Using Scripture to combat temptation

Praying for strength

Seeking accountability

Not giving up when I stumble

Embrace My New Identity

I am no longer what I was. I am a new creation in Christ. I need to embrace this identity and live accordingly.

I can do this by:

Not identifying with past sins

Living as a forgiven and transformed person

Walking in the freedom Christ has given me

Being a testimony to God's power

Final Reflections

This teaching on the hope of transformation presents both a sobering warning and a message of incredible hope. The list of sins in 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 is long and includes many of us. But the hope is found in verse 11: "That is what some of you were."

The key word is "were." The past does not define the present or the future. Through Christ, we can be washed, sanctified, and justified. We can be transformed from what we were into what God wants us to be. This is the power of the gospel.

The teaching also highlights the importance of the thought-life. Jesus taught that lustful thoughts are adultery in the heart. This means that the battle is not just external but internal. We must guard our minds, bring our thoughts captive to Christ, and fill our minds with what is pure and lovely.

The distinction between ongoing sin and past sin is crucial. The scripture is about people who continue in sin without repentance. Those who have sinned and repented are not condemned. This is a message of hope for all who struggle with guilt over past sins.

Ultimately, this teaching calls me to embrace my new identity in Christ. I am not what I was. I have been washed, sanctified, and justified. I am a new creation. This is not just a theological truth but a reality to be lived out daily.

Prayer

Father in Heaven,

I come to You with a heart that acknowledges my sin. I confess that I have been guilty of some of the sins listed in Your Word—sexual impurity, lust, greed, and others. Forgive me for my failures and for the times I have fallen short of Your standard.

Lord, I thank You that I am not what I was. Through Christ, I have been washed, sanctified, and justified. Thank You that my past sins, when confessed and repented of, are no longer held against me. Help me to receive this forgiveness and to live in the freedom You have given me.

Guard my thought-life, Lord. Help me to bring every thought captive to Christ and to fill my mind with what is pure and lovely. Protect me from lustful thoughts and help me to be faithful in my mind as well as in my actions.

I pray for those who are struggling with sexual sin. Free them from the bondage of lust and help them to find freedom and transformation in Christ. Let them know that what they were does not have to determine what they are.

Lord, I embrace my new identity in You. Help me to live as a forgiven, transformed, and sanctified person. Let my life be a testimony to Your power and grace.

In Jesus' name, who makes all things new,

Amen.

Comments