The Conscience: God's Warning System

The Conscience: God's Warning System

What Does It Mean?

This teaching explores the nature and function of the conscience as God's built-in warning system within every person. The instruction begins by asking a crucial question: "How can the conscience be trained to serve us correctly?" It describes the conscience as being located in a person's "spiritual heart," functioning like a baseball umpire that lets us know when we have violated our personal inner moral code and prompts us to make corrections. This allows peace to return to our mind. The conscience also warns us when we have a problem.

The teaching draws an analogy between the human body and a computer. When God breathed life into man, all of the body's "engines" or "inner systems" started up—the heart, blood flow, digestive system, eye blink, and more. Similarly, a computer requires a master system to operate. God placed a system within each of us, including the conscience, which is linked to 40 components.

The teaching uses the example of self-control. When anger violates self-control, the conscience sets off an alarm, like a virus warning on a computer or a fire alarm. Shame and guilt kick in, and the solution requires our attention—repentance, forgiveness, or other actions. The teaching warns that if we do not know how to respond, we could be pouring gasoline on the fire instead of water.

The instruction reveals the consequences of ignoring our conscience. We can resist and refuse it, leading to a dead conscience—a state caused by choosing to defy what we know to be right. Refusing to respond to guilt leads the heart to harden, becoming unable to convict us of sin. This is a very dangerous place to be, as illustrated by the generation of Noah's day, when everything they thought or imagined was consistently evil.

The teaching calls us to learn the 40 built-in components God expects us to live by and the viruses that attack each one. However, our conscience will have no power unless we get the right information and place it into our "spiritual storehouse"—our mind, thoughts, and imaginations. Like David, we can change from glory to glory, from weakness to strength, but it must be done God's way. The key is hiding God's Word in our heart.

The Twist

The unexpected element in this teaching is the computer analogy for the human conscience. Just as a computer requires a master system to operate, God has placed a system within each of us. The conscience is part of this system, linked to 40 components. This analogy makes the abstract concept of the conscience more concrete and understandable.

Another surprising insight is the emphasis on the 40 components and the viruses that attack each one. This suggests that the conscience is not isolated but connected to a larger system of moral and spiritual functions. Learning these components and their corresponding viruses is essential for maintaining a healthy conscience.

The teaching also reveals the danger of a dead conscience—a state where the heart becomes hardened and unable to convict of sin. This is a spiritual condition where a person has repeatedly ignored their conscience until it no longer functions. This is described as a "very dangerous place to be in," as illustrated by the generation of Noah's day.

Perhaps most challenging is the assertion that the conscience has no power unless we get the right information. The conscience is not autonomous; it depends on the information we feed it. Without God's Word, the conscience is weak and ineffective.

How Does It Apply to Me?

Understand the Function of My Conscience

The conscience is God's warning system, letting me know when I have violated my moral code and prompting me to make corrections. I need to understand this function and respond to its warnings.

I can apply this by:

Paying attention to feelings of guilt and shame

Not ignoring the warnings of my conscience

Making corrections when my conscience alerts me

Seeking peace by responding to my conscience

Train My Conscience with God's Word

The conscience has no power unless it has the right information. I need to train my conscience with God's Word, placing His truth into my "spiritual storehouse."

I can do this by:

Reading and studying Scripture regularly

Hiding God's Word in my heart

Allowing God's truth to shape my moral code

Memorizing verses that address my areas of weakness

Learn the 40 Components and Their Viruses

The teaching refers to 40 components and the viruses that attack each one. I need to learn these components and be aware of the viruses that seek to corrupt them.

I can apply this by:

Seeking to understand God's design for my life

Being aware of the attacks on my spiritual health

Guarding against the viruses that weaken my conscience

Protecting the components of my spiritual system

Respond to Guilt and Shame Correctly

When my conscience alerts me, I need to respond correctly—through repentance, forgiveness, or other actions. The wrong response can pour gasoline on the fire.

I can do this by:

Confessing my sins promptly

Seeking forgiveness from God and others

Not rationalizing or excusing sin

Taking corrective action

Avoid Hardening My Heart

Repeatedly ignoring my conscience hardens my heart and leads to a dead conscience. I need to avoid this dangerous path by responding to my conscience promptly.

I can apply this by:

Not delaying when I feel convicted

Being sensitive to the Holy Spirit's promptings

Not rationalizing disobedience

Keeping my heart soft and responsive

Pursue Change God's Way

Like David, I can change from glory to glory, from weakness to strength—but it must be done God's way. I need to pursue change through God's Word and Spirit.

I can do this by:

Depending on God's strength, not my own

Allowing God's Word to transform me

Seeking the Holy Spirit's help

Trusting that God can bring lasting change

Take My Spiritual Health Seriously

The teaching ends with a challenge: "Is this what you want? Or, are you just joking around..." I need to take my spiritual health seriously and commit to growing in the knowledge of God's ways.

I can do this by:

Making spiritual growth a priority

Not being casual about my relationship with God

Being intentional in my pursuit of holiness

Taking God's warnings seriously

Final Reflections

This teaching on the conscience presents a powerful analogy between the human body and a computer system. Just as a computer requires a master system to operate, God has placed a system within each of us. The conscience is part of this system, functioning like a warning alarm that alerts us when something is wrong.

The teaching reveals the importance of training our conscience with God's Word. Without the right information, the conscience is weak and ineffective. We must hide God's Word in our hearts so that our conscience can function properly.

The warning about a dead conscience is sobering. When we repeatedly ignore our conscience, we harden our hearts and become unable to convict of sin. This is a dangerous state that leads to spiritual ruin. We must respond promptly to the warnings of our conscience.

The call to learn the 40 components and their corresponding viruses is a call to deep spiritual understanding. We must know how God designed us and be aware of the attacks that seek to corrupt us. This knowledge is essential for spiritual health and growth.

Ultimately, this teaching is a call to take our spiritual lives seriously. We cannot be casual about our relationship with God. We must be intentional about hiding His Word in our hearts, responding to our conscience, and growing in wisdom and understanding.

Prayer

Father in Heaven,

I come to You with a heart that desires to understand and follow the guidance of my conscience. I confess that I have sometimes ignored the warnings of my conscience and hardened my heart to Your truth. Forgive me for my neglect and for the times I have rationalized my sin.

Lord, I thank You for the gift of the conscience—Your built-in warning system. Help me to pay attention to its promptings and to respond quickly when it alerts me. Teach me to train my conscience with Your Word, hiding it in my heart that I may not sin against You.

Help me to learn the components of Your design for my life and to be aware of the viruses that seek to corrupt them. Protect me from the danger of a dead conscience and keep my heart soft and responsive to You.

I desire to change from glory to glory, from weakness to strength—but I know this must be done Your way. Help me to depend on Your Word and Spirit for transformation. Let me not be casual about my spiritual health but intentional in my pursuit of holiness.

Lord, I take this call seriously. Help me to grow in wisdom and understanding, to respond to my conscience, and to walk in obedience to You. Let my life be a testimony to Your transforming power.

In Jesus' name, who is the Word made flesh,

Amen.

Comments