The Fruit of Service, The Mirror of the Heart

The Fruit of Service, The Mirror of the Heart

Key Bible Texts

Proverbs 27:18 (KJV): "Whoso keepeth the fig tree shall eat the fruit thereof: so he that waiteth on his master shall be honored."

Proverbs 27:19 (KJV): "As in water face answereth to face, so the heart of man to man."

What does it mean?

The first verse uses the image of a fig tree to illustrate the principle of faithful service. The one who keeps the fig tree—who tends it, waters it, prunes it, and protects it—will eat the fruit thereof. His labour is rewarded with the very produce he has cultivated. In the same way, the one who waits on his master—who serves faithfully and with diligence—shall be honoured. Faithful service does not go unnoticed or unrewarded. The honour may come from the master, from others, or from God Himself, but it will come.

The second verse draws a parallel between a reflection in water and the reflection of the heart. As in water face answereth to face—when you look into still water, you see your own face staring back at you with perfect clarity. In the same way, the heart of man to man. A person's heart is revealed in his interactions with others. Who we truly are on the inside—our character, our motives, our intentions—will be reflected in how we treat people. There is no hiding what is in the heart; it will show itself in our relationships and our behaviour.

The Twist

The surprising connection between these two verses is that both deal with the relationship between what we do and who we are. The one who keeps the fig tree will eat its fruit—his actions produce a result. The one who waits on his master will be honoured—his service brings a reward. And the heart of a man is reflected in his interactions with others—who he truly is will be seen in how he treats people. The twist is that service and heart are not separate; they are deeply connected. How I serve reveals my heart, and my heart determines how I serve. Another profound turn is that the honour promised to the servant is not something he pursues for himself; it is the natural outcome of faithful service. And the reflection of the heart in relationships is not something we can manipulate; it is an honest mirror. And perhaps the deepest surprise is that the same God who rewards faithful service also sees the true condition of our hearts. He knows what is reflected in the water, and He honours the servant who serves with a pure heart.

What can I learn?

I learn that faithful service is rewarded. Whether I am serving a human master or serving the Lord, my labour is not in vain. I should serve with diligence and integrity, trusting that God sees and will honour my efforts. I also learn that my heart is revealed in my relationships. I cannot separate my inner character from my outer conduct. If I want to know the state of my heart, I should look at how I treat others. Furthermore, I discover that true honour comes not from seeking recognition but from faithful service. The one who waits on his master will be honoured, but the honour is a byproduct, not the goal. Finally, I am reminded that God is the ultimate rewarder and the ultimate searcher of hearts.

How does it apply to me?

Examine your service to others and to God. Are you faithful in your responsibilities, or are you neglectful or half-hearted? If you have been slacking, recommit to serving with diligence and integrity. Then examine your relationships. How do you treat others—especially those who cannot repay you or those who are under your authority? Your treatment of them reveals the true condition of your heart. If there are areas of selfishness, impatience, or harshness, confess them and ask God to transform your heart. And above all, serve not for the honour of people but for the honour of God. Trust that He sees your faithful service and will reward you in His time.

Final Reflections

These two verses connect the outward act of service with the inward condition of the heart. The one who tends the fig tree eats its fruit; the one who serves faithfully is honoured. And the heart of a man is reflected in his relationships. We cannot separate what we do from who we are. Faithful service reveals a faithful heart, and a faithful heart produces faithful service. May we serve with diligence and integrity, knowing that God sees both our labour and our hearts. And may our relationships be a true reflection of the love and grace that He has placed within us.

Prayer

Lord God, I thank You for Your truth, that those who are caretakers of a fig tree will eat of its fruit. I thank You that those who are their master's servant will be honored. Cause me to be Your servant, and to be rewarded with the fruit that is from You. I thank You that as water reflects the face, the heart reflects the person. Father, forgive me for the times I have served half‑heartedly or sought honour for myself rather than serving faithfully. Transform my heart so that my service may be pure and my relationships may reflect Your love. Let me serve You and others with diligence, knowing that You see and will reward. And let my heart be a true reflection of Your grace, so that others may see Christ in me. In Jesus' name, Amen.

Comments