STOP LIVING FOR HUMAN APPROVAL
THE SNARE OF PEOPLE-PLEASING
Key Scripture
📖 Galatians 1:10 (NKJV)
"For do I now persuade men, or God? Or do I seek to please men? For if I still pleased men, I would not be a bondservant of Christ."
📖 Proverbs 29:25 (NKJV)
"The fear of man brings a snare, but whoever trusts in the Lord shall be safe."
Introduction
There is a subtle and dangerous trap that has ensnared countless believers. It is the trap of living for human approval. It is the addiction to the applause of men. It is the desperate need to be liked, accepted, and affirmed by others. It is the fear of rejection, the fear of criticism, and the fear of being misunderstood. It is the tendency to shape your life, your words, and your actions around what other people think rather than what God thinks. And it is a snare that keeps countless believers from walking in the freedom and the purpose that God has for them.
The Apostle Paul confronted this issue head-on. He wrote to the Galatians, "For do I now persuade men, or God? Or do I seek to please men? For if I still pleased men, I would not be a bondservant of Christ." The Greek word for "persuade" is peithō, which means to persuade, to convince, or to win over. The word for "please" is areskō, which means to please, to satisfy, or to accommodate. The word for "bondservant" is doulos, which means a slave, a servant, or one who is owned by another. Paul is saying, "Am I trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Am I trying to please men, or God? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ."
Solomon, the wisest man who ever lived, echoed this truth: "The fear of man brings a snare, but whoever trusts in the Lord shall be safe." The Hebrew word for "fear" is yare, which means to fear, to revere, or to be afraid. The word for "man" is adam, which means man, human being, or people. The word for "snare" is moqesh, which means a trap, a snare, or a noose. The word for "trust" is batach, which means to cling to, to be confident in, or to feel secure. The word for "safe" is sagab, which means to be exalted, to be protected, or to be set on high.
Solomon is saying, "The fear of man is a trap. It is a snare. It will catch you. It will hold you captive. But whoever trusts in the Lord shall be safe. They shall be protected. They shall be set on high. They shall be free."
This teaching is for everyone who has ever struggled with people-pleasing. It is for the one who has been paralyzed by the fear of rejection. It is for the one who has been controlled by the opinions of others. It is for the one who has compromised their convictions to fit in. It is for the one who needs to break free from the snare of seeking everyone's approval. It is time to stop living for human approval. It is time to live for the approval of God alone.
Biblical Truth
Galatians 1:10 and Proverbs 29:25 together provide a powerful biblical framework for understanding the danger of living for human approval. They reveal that people-pleasing is incompatible with being a servant of Christ, and that the fear of man is a snare.
Galatians 1:10 is Paul's declaration of independence from human approval. He writes, "For do I now persuade men, or God? Or do I seek to please men? For if I still pleased men, I would not be a bondservant of Christ."
The Greek word for "persuade" is peithō, which means to persuade, to convince, or to win over. Paul is asking, "Am I trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Am I trying to convince people that I am right, or am I trying to be faithful to God? Am I trying to win the applause of the crowd, or am I trying to hear the applause of heaven?"
The Greek word for "please" is areskō, which means to please, to satisfy, or to accommodate. Paul is asking, "Am I trying to please men, or God? Am I trying to satisfy the expectations of people, or am I trying to satisfy the will of God? Am I trying to accommodate the preferences of the culture, or am I trying to obey the commands of Christ?"
The Greek word for "bondservant" is doulos, which means a slave, a servant, or one who is owned by another. It is the same word used in Philippians 2:7, where Paul says that Jesus "made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant." Paul is saying that being a bondservant of Christ means being owned by Christ. It means having Christ as your Master. It means having Christ as your Lord. And if you are a bondservant of Christ, you cannot be a people-pleaser. You cannot serve two masters.
Paul's conclusion is clear: "For if I still pleased men, I would not be a bondservant of Christ." If you are still seeking to please men, if you are still seeking to win their approval, if you are still seeking to be accepted by them, then you are not truly a servant of Christ. Because the moment you become a servant of Christ, your allegiance shifts. Your loyalty changes. Your focus moves from the horizontal to the vertical.
Proverbs 29:25 expands on this truth. Solomon writes, "The fear of man brings a snare, but whoever trusts in the Lord shall be safe."
The Hebrew word for "fear" is yare, which means to fear, to revere, or to be afraid. The word for "man" is adam, which means man, human being, or people. The word for "snare" is moqesh, which means a trap, a snare, or a noose. It is the picture of an animal caught in a trap. Once you fall into it, you cannot escape.
The fear of man is a snare. It is a trap. It will catch you. It will hold you captive. It will keep you from walking in the freedom that Christ has purchased for you. The fear of man will make you compromise your convictions. It will make you silent when you should speak. It will make you say yes when you should say no. It will make you chase after the approval of people who cannot satisfy your soul.
But there is good news: "But whoever trusts in the Lord shall be safe." The Hebrew word for "trust" is batach, which means to cling to, to be confident in, or to feel secure. The word for "safe" is sagab, which means to be exalted, to be protected, or to be set on high. When you trust in the Lord, you are safe. You are protected. You are set on high. You are free from the snare of the fear of man.
The principle of human approval is woven throughout Scripture. When Adam and Eve sinned, they hid from God because they were afraid of what He would think (Genesis 3:8-10). When Saul was confronted by Samuel, he confessed that he had disobeyed God because he feared the people (1 Samuel 15:24). When Peter denied Christ, he did so because he feared what the servant girl and the others would think (Luke 22:54-62). When Pilate condemned Jesus, he did so because he feared the crowd (Mark 15:15). The pattern is clear: the fear of man leads to compromise, disobedience, and destruction.
The example of Jesus is our ultimate model. Jesus did not live for human approval. He did not seek the applause of the crowd. He did not fear the rejection of men. He said, "I do not seek My own will but the will of the Father who sent Me" (John 5:30). He said, "I always do those things that please Him" (John 8:29). He said, "My food is to do the will of Him who sent Me, and to finish His work" (John 4:34). Jesus lived for the approval of the Father alone. And He calls us to do the same.
What We Often Get Wrong
The first and most common error is that we believe we need everyone's approval. We think that we need to be liked by everyone. We think that we need to be accepted by everyone. We think that we need to be approved by everyone. But this is a lie. You do not need everyone's approval. You only need God's approval. You cannot please everyone. You cannot be liked by everyone. And if you try, you will exhaust yourself, compromise your convictions, and lose your identity.
Second, we fear the rejection of others. We are afraid of being rejected. We are afraid of being criticized. We are afraid of being misunderstood. We are afraid of being mocked. We are afraid of being excluded. So we do everything we can to avoid rejection. We change our behavior. We change our words. We change our convictions. We become chameleons, changing our colors to match whatever environment we are in. But the fear of rejection is a snare. It keeps us from being who God created us to be.
Third, we compromise our convictions to fit in. We water down the truth to avoid offending people. We soften the gospel to make it more palatable. We stay silent when we should speak. We go along with the crowd when we should stand alone. But compromise is a slippery slope. It leads to further compromise. It leads to moral decay. It leads to spiritual destruction.
Fourth, we measure our worth by the opinions of others. We let other people's opinions determine our value. We let other people's words determine our identity. We let other people's approval determine our worth. But our worth is not determined by the opinions of others. Our worth is determined by God. He created us. He loves us. He sent His Son to die for us. He adopted us into His family. Our worth is not in the applause of the crowd. Our worth is in the arms of the Father.
Fifth, we become paralyzed by the fear of what others will think. We are so afraid of what others will think that we do nothing. We do not step out in faith. We do not pursue our calling. We do not use our gifts. We do not take risks. We are paralyzed by the fear of man. But the fear of man is a snare. It keeps us from walking in the freedom and the purpose that God has for us.
Sixth, we believe that people-pleasing is the same as being kind. We think that if we are people-pleasers, we are just being kind. We think that if we are always accommodating, we are just being loving. But people-pleasing is not the same as kindness. Kindness is motivated by love. People-pleasing is motivated by fear. Kindness serves others for their good. People-pleasing serves others for our own approval. Kindness is rooted in security. People-pleasing is rooted in insecurity. We must not confuse the two.
Seventh, we forget that we cannot please everyone. No matter what you do, someone will be unhappy. No matter what you say, someone will be offended. No matter what you decide, someone will disagree. You cannot please everyone. It is impossible. So stop trying. Stop exhausting yourself trying to win the approval of everyone. Seek God's approval alone. And let the chips fall where they may.
God's Perspective
God views your need for approval as a misplaced dependency. He does not want you to depend on the approval of people. He does not want you to depend on the applause of the crowd. He does not want you to depend on the opinions of others. He wants you to depend on Him. He wants you to find your approval in Him. He wants you to find your identity in Him. He wants you to find your worth in Him. He is the only one whose approval truly matters.
God's perspective is that He is the only one who knows you completely. People only see the outside. They only see what you show them. They only see the highlight reel. But God sees the heart. He knows your thoughts. He knows your motives. He knows your struggles. He knows your fears. He knows your dreams. He knows everything about you. And He loves you completely. His approval is the only approval that matters. His acceptance is the only acceptance that matters. His love is the only love that matters.
God sees your fear of man as a form of idolatry. When you fear people more than you fear God, you are putting them above God. When you seek their approval more than you seek God's approval, you are worshiping them. When you let their opinions determine your actions, you are letting them be your lord. God will not share His glory with another (Isaiah 42:8). He will not tolerate idols in your life. He calls you to fear Him alone. He calls you to seek His approval alone.
God's perspective is that He has already approved you in Christ. The moment you put your faith in Jesus, God the Father approved you. He accepted you. He adopted you. He declared you righteous. He declared you holy. He declared you blameless. He declared you His child. You do not have to earn His approval. You already have it. You do not have to work for His acceptance. You already have it. You do not have to perform for His love. You already have it. You are approved in Christ.
God sees your people-pleasing as a sign of insecurity. When you are secure in God's love, you do not need the approval of others. When you are secure in God's acceptance, you do not need the applause of the crowd. When you are secure in God's approval, you do not need the validation of people. People-pleasing comes from insecurity. It comes from not knowing who you are in Christ. It comes from not believing that you are loved and accepted by God. When you truly know who you are in Christ, you will be free from the need for everyone's approval.
God's perspective is that He is the one you should be pleasing. Not people. Not the crowd. Not the culture. Not the world. God. He is the one who created you. He is the one who saved you. He is the one who called you. He is the one who will judge you. He is the one who will reward you. He is the one you should be pleasing. Make it your aim to please Him. Make it your goal to hear, "Well done, good and faithful servant." That is the only approval that ultimately matters.
Practical Application
Identify Your People-Pleasing Patterns: Ask the Holy Spirit to reveal any people-pleasing patterns in your life. Ask Him to show you where you have compromised your convictions to fit in. Ask Him to show you where you have been afraid of what others will think. Ask Him to show you where you have sought the approval of people more than the approval of God. Confess these patterns. Repent of them. Ask God to free you from them.
Find Your Identity in Christ: The antidote to people-pleasing is finding your identity in Christ. You are not who people say you are. You are not who the world says you are. You are not who your feelings say you are. You are who God says you are. You are a child of God. You are loved. You are accepted. You are forgiven. You are redeemed. You are chosen. You are called. You are His. When you know who you are in Christ, you will be free from the need for everyone's approval.
Seek God's Approval Alone: Make it your aim to please God. Make it your goal to hear, "Well done, good and faithful servant." Seek His approval alone. Do not worry about what people think. Do not worry about what they say. Do not worry about their opinions. Seek God's approval. And let everything else fade into the background.
Be Willing to Stand Alone: Sometimes standing for truth means standing alone. Sometimes obeying God means being rejected by the crowd. Sometimes doing what is right means being mocked, criticized, or persecuted. Be willing to stand alone. Be willing to be different. Be willing to pay the price. God is with you. He will never leave you nor forsake you.
Speak the Truth in Love: When you speak the truth, do it in love. Do not be arrogant. Do not be harsh. Do not be self-righteous. Speak the truth in love (Ephesians 4:15). Let your words be gracious, seasoned with salt (Colossians 4:6). Let your life be a testimony of God's grace. Let your love be a witness to the world.
Surround Yourself with People Who Love God: The people you surround yourself with will influence what you value. Surround yourself with people who love God, who seek His approval, who are secure in their identity in Christ. They will encourage you. They will inspire you. They will help you keep your focus on the right things.
Pray for Freedom from the Fear of Man: Ask God to free you from the fear of man. Ask Him to break the snare of people-pleasing in your life. Ask Him to give you the courage to stand alone, to speak the truth, and to seek His approval alone. He will answer. He will set you free. He will make you a bondservant of Christ, not a people-pleaser.
Ask Yourself
Do I need everyone's approval?
Am I a people-pleaser?
Do I fear the rejection of others?
Do I compromise my convictions to fit in?
Do I measure my worth by the opinions of others?
Am I paralyzed by the fear of what others will think?
Who am I trying to please—people or God?
Am I living for human approval or God's approval?
Reflection
Stop living for human approval. This is the truth. This is the freedom. This is the invitation. You do not need to be liked by everyone. You do not need to be accepted by everyone. You do not need to be approved by everyone. You do not need to be understood by everyone. You do not need to be praised by everyone. You only need God's approval. You only need God's acceptance. You only need God's love. And you already have it in Christ.
For if I still pleased men, I would not be a bondservant of Christ. This is the truth. This is the warning. This is the invitation. If you are still seeking to please men, you are not a bondservant of Christ. You cannot serve two masters. You cannot be owned by both Christ and the crowd. You must choose. You must decide. You must pick one. Will you be a people-pleaser, or will you be a bondservant of Christ? The choice is yours.
The fear of man brings a snare, but whoever trusts in the Lord shall be safe. This is the truth. This is the promise. This is the invitation. The fear of man is a trap. It will catch you. It will hold you captive. But whoever trusts in the Lord shall be safe. They shall be protected. They shall be set on high. They shall be free. Trust in the Lord. Seek His approval. And you will be free from the snare of the fear of man.
So stop living for human approval. Find your identity in Christ. Seek God's approval alone. Be willing to stand alone. Speak the truth in love. Surround yourself with people who love God. Pray for freedom from the fear of man. And you will discover the freedom, the joy, and the purpose that comes from being a bondservant of Christ. You do not need everyone's approval. You only need God's. And you already have it. Stop living for human approval.
Prayer
Father, I confess that I have been a people-pleaser. I have sought the approval of men more than Your approval. I have feared the rejection of others more than I have feared You. I have compromised my convictions to fit in. I have measured my worth by the opinions of others. I have been paralyzed by the fear of what others will think. Forgive me. Today, I choose to break free from the snare of people-pleasing. I choose to seek Your approval alone. I choose to find my identity in Christ. I choose to be willing to stand alone. I choose to speak the truth in love. I choose to surround myself with people who love You. I choose to fear You alone. Help me to be a bondservant of Christ, not a people-pleaser. Help me to love Your praise more than the praise of men. Help me to seek Your approval alone. I do not need everyone's approval. I only need Yours. And I have it in Christ. In Jesus' mighty name, Amen.
Declaration
I declare that I will stop living for human approval. I only need God's approval. I will not be a people-pleaser. I will be a bondservant of Christ. I will not seek the approval of men. I will seek the approval of God. I will not fear the rejection of others. I will fear God alone. I will not compromise my convictions to fit in. I will stand on the truth. I will not measure my worth by the opinions of others. I will find my worth in Christ. I will not be paralyzed by the fear of what others will think. I will step out in faith. I will seek God's approval alone. I will love His praise more than the praise of men. I am approved in Christ. I am accepted in Christ. I am loved in Christ. I am secure in Christ. I do not need everyone's approval. I only need God's. And I have it. I have it. I have it.
Concluding Scripture
📖 Proverbs 29:25 (NKJV)
"The fear of man brings a snare, but whoever trusts in the Lord shall be safe."

Comments
Post a Comment