GOD MAY BE TAKING YOU INTO SOMETHING NEW
BEHOLD, I WILL DO A NEW THING
Key Scripture
📖 Isaiah 43:18–19 (NKJV)
"Do not remember the former things, nor consider the things of old. Behold, I will do a new thing, now it shall spring forth; shall you not know it? I will even make a road in the wilderness and rivers in the desert."
📖 2 Corinthians 5:17 (NKJV)
"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new."
Introduction
There is a moment in every believer's journey when God begins to stir something new. It may be a restlessness in your spirit, a dissatisfaction with where you are, a sense that the season you have been in is coming to an end. It may be a closed door, a severed relationship, a change in circumstances, or a sudden shift in your heart. And in that moment, you have a choice: you can cling to the old, or you can embrace the new. You can look back at what was, or you can look forward to what God is doing. You can stay in the familiar, or you can step into the unknown.
The people of Israel faced this choice repeatedly. They had a tendency to look back—to remember Egypt, to long for the familiar, to resist the new thing God was doing. But God spoke through the prophet Isaiah with a clear and compelling command: "Do not remember the former things, nor consider the things of old. Behold, I will do a new thing." The Hebrew word for "behold" is hinneh, which is an exclamation of surprise, wonder, and attention. It is as if God is saying, "Stop looking back! Pay attention! Look at what I am about to do! It is new! It is fresh! It is springing forth right now!"
God is a God of new things. He is not stagnant. He is not predictable. He is not confined to the past. He is always doing something new. He is always creating, always redeeming, always transforming. And He invites us to join Him in the new thing He is doing. But to embrace the new, we must be willing to release the old. We must be willing to let go of what was, to step out of our comfort zones, and to trust Him in the unknown.
This teaching is for everyone who senses that God is doing something new. It is for the one who is in a season of transition. It is for the one who is tempted to look back and long for the past. It is for the one who is afraid of the unknown. It is for the one who wants to embrace the new thing God is doing but does not know how. It is time to let go of the old and step into the new. It is time to behold the new thing God is doing.
Biblical Truth
Isaiah 43:18–19 and 2 Corinthians 5:17 together provide a powerful biblical framework for understanding how God works in our lives. They reveal that God is always doing something new, that He calls us to release the past, and that He empowers us to walk in newness of life.
Isaiah 43:18–19 is set in the context of Israel's exile. The people had been taken captive to Babylon. They had lost their homeland, their temple, and their freedom. They were discouraged, confused, and hopeless. They looked back at their past—the glory of Solomon's temple, the victories of David, the miracles of the Exodus—and they mourned what they had lost. They were stuck in the past, unable to see what God was doing in the present or what He would do in the future.
But God spoke through Isaiah and said, "Do not remember the former things, nor consider the things of old." The Hebrew word for "remember" is zakar, which means to call to mind, to recall, or to pay attention to. The word for "consider" is bin, which means to understand, to perceive, or to ponder. God is telling them, "Stop dwelling on the past. Stop replaying the old memories. Stop longing for what was. Do not let the past define your present or your future."
Then God gives the reason: "Behold, I will do a new thing." The Hebrew word for "new" is chadash, which means fresh, new, or recent. It is something that has not existed before. It is not a repeat of the old. It is not a slightly improved version of the past. It is brand new. And God says, "Now it shall spring forth." The Hebrew word for "spring forth" is tsamach, which means to sprout, to spring up, or to grow. It is the picture of a seed that has been planted in the ground, and suddenly, unexpectedly, it bursts forth with new life. The new thing is already happening. It is already beginning to sprout. It is already emerging.
Then God asks, "Shall you not know it?" The implication is that God is doing something, and we need to open our eyes to see it. We need to be attentive. We need to be aware. The new thing is happening, but we might miss it if we are too focused on the past. We might miss it if we are too comfortable in the old. We might miss it if we are not paying attention.
Then God describes the new thing: "I will even make a road in the wilderness and rivers in the desert." The Hebrew word for "wilderness" is midbar, which means a desert, a wasteland, or an uninhabited place. The word for "desert" is yeshimon, which means a desolate place, a barren land. God is saying, "I will make a way where there seems to be no way. I will bring life where there is only death. I will create a path where there is only trackless waste. I will cause rivers to flow where there is only dry ground." The new thing God is doing is not just a change of circumstances; it is a miraculous transformation. He is creating something out of nothing. He is bringing life out of death. He is making a way where there is no way.
2 Corinthians 5:17 applies this truth to the believer. Paul writes, "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new." The Greek word for "new creation" is kainos ktisis. The word kainos means new in quality, fresh, or unprecedented. It is not just new in time; it is new in nature. It is something that has never existed before. The word ktisis means creation, creature, or thing created. Paul is saying that when you come to Christ, you are not just forgiven; you are recreated. You are not just cleaned up; you are made new. You are not just improved; you are transformed.
The phrase "old things have passed away" is crucial. The Greek word for "passed away" is parerchomai, which means to pass by, to go away, or to disappear. The old has gone. It is no longer here. It is no longer the defining reality of your life. Your old identity, your old nature, your old patterns of sin, your old shame—all of it has passed away. It is gone. And "behold, all things have become new." The word "behold" is idou, which is an exclamation of wonder. Look! See! Pay attention! All things are new. Not some things. Not a few things. All things. Your identity is new. Your purpose is new. Your destiny is new. Your heart is new. Your mind is new. Everything is new.
The principle of God doing new things is woven throughout Scripture. God created the heavens and the earth out of nothing. He called Abraham out of his homeland to a land he had never seen. He delivered Israel from Egypt with miraculous signs and wonders. He gave them the Promised Land—a land flowing with milk and honey. He raised up David from shepherd boy to king. He sent His Son into the world to redeem humanity. He raised Jesus from the dead. He poured out the Holy Spirit at Pentecost. He is building His church. He is preparing a new heaven and a new earth (Revelation 21:1). God is always doing something new. He is never stagnant. He is never finished. He is always moving, always creating, always redeeming.
The example of Abraham is instructive. God called Abraham to leave his country, his family, and his father's house, and to go to a land that God would show him (Genesis 12:1). Abraham had to leave the familiar to embrace the new. He had to trust God in the unknown. He had to let go of the old to receive the new. And because he obeyed, God made him the father of many nations.
The example of the disciples is also instructive. When Jesus called Peter, Andrew, James, and John, they immediately left their nets and followed Him (Matthew 4:20). They left their old life behind to embrace the new life Jesus was calling them to. They left the familiar to follow the unknown. They left their boats to become fishers of men.
The example of Jesus is our ultimate model. Jesus left the glory of heaven to come to earth. He left the throne for the manger. He left the worship of angels for the rejection of men. He left the perfection of heaven for the suffering of the cross. He embraced the new thing God was doing—the redemption of humanity. And because He embraced the new, we can be made new.
What We Often Get Wrong
The first and most common error is that we cling to the old. We are comfortable with the familiar. We are attached to the past. We are afraid of change. We want to hold onto what we know, what we have, and what we are used to. We resist the new thing God is doing because it requires us to let go of what we have. But God cannot fill hands that are already full. We must open our hands and release the old to receive the new.
Second, we look back with nostalgia. We romanticize the past. We remember the "good old days" and forget the struggles, the pain, and the lessons. We long for what was instead of looking forward to what will be. But God says, "Do not remember the former things, nor consider the things of old." The past is past. It is gone. Do not live in it. Do not long for it. Look forward to what God is doing now.
Third, we fear the unknown. We are afraid of what we cannot see, control, or predict. We want guarantees. We want certainty. We want a clear path before we take a step. But faith is not about certainty; it is about trust. Faith is stepping into the unknown, trusting that God is already there. Faith is letting go of the familiar and embracing the new, trusting that God is leading us.
Fourth, we believe that the new thing will look like the old thing. We expect God to do what He did before, just in a slightly different form. We expect the new thing to be a repeat of the past. But God says, "Behold, I will do a new thing." It is new. It is not a repeat. It is not a remix. It is something that has never been before. We must not limit God to our past experiences. He is not confined to what He has done before. He is always doing something fresh.
Fifth, we resist the process of transition. The journey from old to new is not always smooth. It can be messy, uncomfortable, and confusing. There is a wilderness between Egypt and the Promised Land. There is a desert between the old and the new. We must learn to embrace the process. We must learn to trust God in the transition. We must learn to be patient and to persevere.
Sixth, we try to put new wine into old wineskins. Jesus said, "No one puts new wine into old wineskins; or else the new wine bursts the wineskins, the wine is spilled, and the wineskins are ruined. But new wine must be put into new wineskins" (Mark 2:22). We cannot receive the new thing God is doing if we are still holding onto old structures, old mindsets, and old ways of doing things. We must be willing to change. We must be willing to be renewed.
Seventh, we forget that the new thing is for our good and God's glory. We focus on our discomfort, our loss, and our fear. We forget that God is doing something beautiful, something redemptive, something that will bring glory to His name and blessing to our lives. The new thing may be hard, but it is good. The new thing may be painful, but it is purposeful. The new thing may be unknown, but it is God-ordained.
God's Perspective
God views the new thing as an expression of His love and faithfulness. He is not doing something new to disrupt your life; He is doing something new to bless your life. He is not taking you into the unknown to abandon you; He is taking you into the unknown to grow you, to stretch you, and to use you in greater ways. He is not closing a door to punish you; He is closing a door to open a better one. His new thing is always for your good and His glory.
God's perspective is that He is always working. He is always moving. He is always creating. He is never stagnant. He is never idle. Jesus said, "My Father has been working until now, and I have been working" (John 5:17). God is always doing something. He is always up to something. He is always bringing life out of death, light out of darkness, and hope out of despair. The new thing may be invisible right now, but it is happening. God is working.
God sees the new thing as an invitation to trust. When God does something new, it is an opportunity to trust Him in a fresh way. It is an opportunity to let go of our old securities and to rely on Him. It is an opportunity to step out in faith and to experience His faithfulness. Every new thing God does is a call to deeper trust. He wants us to trust Him, not just in the familiar, but also in the unfamiliar.
God's perspective is that the new thing is already springing forth. He says, "Now it shall spring forth." It is not something that will happen far in the future. It is happening now. It is already beginning. The seed is already sprouting. The dawn is already breaking. The road is already being made. The rivers are already flowing. We may not see it yet, but it is happening. We must open our eyes to see it. We must believe it is happening.
God sees the new thing as a road in the wilderness and rivers in the desert. He is not just doing something new; He is doing something miraculous. He is making a way where there is no way. He is bringing life where there is death. He is bringing hope where there is despair. He is bringing provision where there is lack. He is bringing healing where there is brokenness. He is doing what only He can do.
God's perspective is that you are a new creation. If you are in Christ, you are not who you used to be. You are not defined by your past. You are not defined by your failures. You are not defined by your sin. You are a new creation. Old things have passed away. All things have become new. Your identity is new. Your purpose is new. Your destiny is new. You are a new person in Christ. And you are called to live in that newness.
Practical Application
Release the Old: Identify what you are holding onto from the past—old hurts, old failures, old identities, old dreams, old relationships, old seasons. Write them down. Then, consciously and deliberately release them to God. Say, "Lord, I release this to You. I let go of the old. I open my hands to receive the new." Do not cling to what God is asking you to release.
Change Your Focus: Stop looking back. Stop dwelling on the past. Stop replaying old memories and old mistakes. Change your focus. Look forward. Look to what God is doing now. Look to what He has promised to do. Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth (Colossians 3:2).
Pray for New Eyes: Ask God to give you new eyes to see the new thing He is doing. Ask Him to help you recognize the sprouting seed, the road in the wilderness, and the rivers in the desert. Ask Him to open your eyes to the new thing He is bringing forth in your life.
Embrace the Unknown: Do not be afraid of the unknown. Do not be afraid of change. Embrace it. Trust that God is in the unknown. Trust that He is already there. Trust that He is leading you. Step out in faith. Take the next step. Follow Him into the new.
Be Willing to Change: The new thing God is doing may require you to change—your mind, your habits, your structures, your methods. Be willing to change. Be willing to be renewed. Be willing to be transformed. Do not cling to the old wineskins. Be a new wineskin for the new wine.
Walk in Your New Identity: If you are in Christ, you are a new creation. Walk in that identity. Stop identifying with your old self. Stop saying, "I am a failure. I am a sinner. I am broken. I am worthless." Start saying, "I am a new creation. I am forgiven. I am redeemed. I am loved. I am a child of God." Live as the new person you have become.
Trust God's Timing: The new thing may not happen overnight. It may take time. The seed may take time to sprout. The road may take time to build. The rivers may take time to flow. Trust God's timing. He knows what He is doing. He is not late. He is never late. He will bring His new thing to pass in His perfect time.
Ask Yourself
Am I holding onto something from the past that God is asking me to release?
Am I looking back with nostalgia, or am I looking forward with faith?
Am I afraid of the unknown, or am I trusting God in the unknown?
Am I expecting God to do something new, or am I stuck in the old?
Am I willing to change and be renewed for the new thing God is doing?
Do I truly believe that I am a new creation in Christ?
Am I living in my new identity, or am I still defining myself by my past?
Reflection
God is doing something new. He is always doing something new. He is making a road in the wilderness. He is causing rivers to flow in the desert. He is bringing life out of death. He is bringing hope out of despair. He is bringing beauty out of ashes. He is doing something fresh, something unprecedented, something that has never been before. And He invites you to join Him. He invites you to let go of the old and embrace the new. He invites you to stop looking back and start looking forward. He invites you to trust Him in the unknown. He invites you to walk in your new identity as a new creation in Christ.
Do not be afraid. Do not be stuck in the past. Do not resist the new thing. God is not taking you away from something good; He is taking you into something better. He is not closing a door to leave you stranded; He is closing a door to open a better one. He is not ending a season to leave you empty; He is ending a season to fill you with something new. His new thing is for your good and His glory.
Behold, He is doing a new thing. Now it shall spring forth. Shall you not know it? Open your eyes. Lift your head. Step out in faith. Embrace the new thing God is doing. And you will discover that His new thing is more beautiful, more fulfilling, and more glorious than anything you have ever experienced before.
Prayer
Father, I thank You that You are a God who does new things. I thank You that You are not confined to the past. I thank You that You are always creating, always redeeming, always working. Forgive me for clinging to the old. Forgive me for looking back with nostalgia. Forgive me for fearing the unknown. Forgive me for resisting the new thing You are doing. Today, I choose to release the old. I open my hands to receive the new. I choose to look forward with faith. I choose to trust You in the unknown. I choose to embrace the new thing You are doing. Give me eyes to see it. Give me faith to believe it. Give me courage to step into it. I know that You are making a road in the wilderness and rivers in the desert. I know that You are doing something new in my life. I trust You. I believe You. I follow You. In Jesus' mighty name, Amen.
Declaration
I declare that God is doing a new thing in my life. I will not remember the former things. I will not consider the things of old. I will look forward to what God is doing. He is making a road in my wilderness and rivers in my desert. He is doing something new, and it is springing forth right now. I open my eyes to see it. I open my heart to receive it. I open my hands to embrace it. I am a new creation in Christ. Old things have passed away. All things have become new. I am not who I used to be. I am not defined by my past. I am defined by my identity in Christ. I am new. I am fresh. I am alive. I am stepping into the new thing God is doing. I will not cling to the old. I will not resist the new. I will trust God in the unknown. I will walk in newness of life. Behold, all things have become new.
Concluding Scripture
📖 Revelation 21:5 (NKJV)
"Then He who sat on the throne said, 'Behold, I make all things new.' And He said to me, 'Write, for these words are true and faithful.'"
A Final Word
God is doing a new thing. He is making a road in the wilderness and rivers in the desert. He is bringing life out of death and hope out of despair. He is doing something that has never been before. And He invites you to join Him. He invites you to let go of the old and embrace the new. He invites you to stop looking back and start looking forward. He invites you to trust Him in the unknown. He invites you to walk in your new identity as a new creation in Christ.
Do not be afraid. Do not be stuck in the past. Do not resist the new thing. God is not taking you away from something good; He is taking you into something better. His new thing is for your good and His glory. Open your eyes. Lift your head. Step out in faith. Embrace the new thing God is doing. And you will discover that His new thing is more beautiful, more fulfilling, and more glorious than anything you have ever experienced before.

Comments
Post a Comment