USE YOUR GIFTS FAITHFULLY
THE PARABLE OF THE TALENTS
Key Scripture
📖 Matthew 25:14–30 (NKJV)
"For the kingdom of heaven is like a man traveling to a far country, who called his own servants and delivered his goods to them. And to one he gave five talents, to another two, and to another one, to each according to his own ability; and immediately he went on a journey. Then he who had received the five talents went and traded with them, and made another five talents. And likewise he who had received two gained two more. But he who had received one went and dug in the ground, and hid his lord's money. After a long time the lord of those servants came and settled accounts with them. So he who had received five talents came and brought five other talents, saying, 'Lord, you delivered to me five talents; look, I have gained five more talents besides them.' His lord said to him, 'Well done, good and faithful servant; you were faithful over a few things, I will make you ruler over many things. Enter into the joy of your lord.' He also who had received two talents came and said, 'Lord, you delivered to me two talents; look, I have gained two more talents besides them.' His lord said to him, 'Well done, good and faithful servant; you have been faithful over a few things, I will make you ruler over many things. Enter into the joy of your lord.' Then he who had received the one talent came and said, 'Lord, I knew you to be a hard man, reaping where you have not sown, and gathering where you have not scattered seed. And I was afraid, and went and hid your talent in the ground. Look, there you have what is yours.' But his lord answered and said to him, 'You wicked and lazy servant, you knew that I reap where I have not sown, and gather where I have not scattered seed. So you ought to have deposited my money with the bankers, and at my coming I would have received back my own with interest. Therefore take the talent from him, and give it to him who has ten talents. For to everyone who has, more will be given, and he will have abundance; but from him who does not have, even what he has will be taken away. And cast the unprofitable servant into the outer darkness. There will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.'"
📖 1 Peter 4:10 (NKJV)
"As each one has received a gift, minister it to one another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God."
Introduction
There is a sacred trust that has been placed in your hands. It is not made of gold or silver. It cannot be locked in a vault or hidden in a safe. It is not measured by market value or stock prices. It is the gift of God—a divine endowment, a supernatural enablement, a grace-given capacity that has been deposited into your life by the Holy Spirit. And it was not given to you for your own benefit. It was given to you for the benefit of others, for the building up of the body of Christ, for the advancement of the Kingdom of God, and for the glory of the Father.
Every believer has received a gift. This is not a suggestion; it is a spiritual reality. The Holy Spirit has distributed gifts to every single member of the body of Christ. You have a gift. You have been entrusted with something valuable. You have been given a sacred stewardship. And the question is not whether you have a gift; the question is what you are doing with it. Are you using it? Are you developing it? Are you investing it? Or are you burying it in the ground? Are you using your gifts faithfully?
Jesus told a parable that illustrates this truth with striking clarity. It is the Parable of the Talents. A master entrusts his servants with varying amounts of wealth before going on a journey. Two servants invest and multiply what they received. One servant, out of fear and laziness, buries his talent and returns it without any increase. The master commends the faithful servants and rewards them with greater responsibility and joy. But the unfaithful servant is condemned—not for what he did, but for what he failed to do. He wasted what was given to him.
The Apostle Peter echoed this truth: "As each one has received a gift, minister it to one another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God." The Greek word for "steward" is oikonomos, which means a manager, a caretaker, or one who is entrusted with another's property. You are not the owner of your gift; you are the steward. You are managing God's resources for God's purposes. And the one thing required of a steward is faithfulness.
This teaching is for everyone who has been given a gift by God. It is for the one who has been using their gift for selfish purposes. It is for the one who has been sitting on their gift, burying it in the ground. It is for the one who has been comparing their gift to others and feeling inadequate or superior. It is for the one who wants to understand why God gave them a gift and what they are supposed to do with it. It is time to discover that gifts are given to serve others. It is time to use your gifts faithfully.
Biblical Truth
Matthew 25:14–30 and 1 Peter 4:10 together provide a comprehensive biblical framework for understanding spiritual gifts. They reveal that we are stewards of God's grace, that we will give an account for what we do with what we have been given, and that faithfulness is the key to reward.
Matthew 25:14–30 is one of the most searching passages in all of Scripture. It is part of Jesus' Olivet Discourse, where He is teaching about His second coming and the final judgment. The parable is a picture of what it means to live faithfully while awaiting the Master's return.
The "talents" in the parable were not just abilities; they were a significant amount of money. A talent was approximately 6,000 denarii—about twenty years' wages for a laborer. This was a massive sum. The master entrusted his servants with enormous responsibility. To one he gave five talents, to another two, and to another one—"to each according to his own ability." The master knew his servants. He knew their capacity. He gave them what they could handle. He did not expect the one with one talent to produce five; he expected faithfulness with what was given.
The two faithful servants immediately went and traded with what they received. They took a risk. They invested. They put the resources to work. And they produced a 100% return—doubling what they had been given. When the master returned, he did not commend them for their results alone; he commended them for their faithfulness. He said, "Well done, good and faithful servant; you were faithful over a few things, I will make you ruler over many things. Enter into the joy of your lord." The reward was not just more responsibility; it was entering into the joy of the master—intimacy, celebration, and eternal reward.
The third servant had a different response. He said, "Lord, I knew you to be a hard man, reaping where you have not sown, and gathering where you have not scattered seed. And I was afraid, and went and hid your talent in the ground." This servant had a distorted view of the master. He saw him as harsh, demanding, and unfair. His fear led to inaction. He buried the talent—not out of disobedience in the sense of rebellion, but out of passive disobedience. He did nothing. He wasted what was given to him.
The master's response is severe. He calls the servant "wicked and lazy." Wicked because his view of the master was slanderous. Lazy because he did nothing with what he had been given. The master then takes the talent and gives it to the one with ten. And he casts the unprofitable servant into outer darkness, where there is weeping and gnashing of teeth. This is a solemn warning. Wasting what God has given you has eternal consequences. It is not just a missed opportunity; it is a failure of stewardship that leads to judgment.
1 Peter 4:10 is a complementary passage that emphasizes the stewardship nature of our gifts. Peter writes, "As each one has received a gift, minister it to one another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God."
The Greek word for "each one" is hekastos, which means every single person, individually, without exception. There is no believer who has not received a gift. There is no one who has been left out. Every member of the body of Christ has been given a charisma—a grace gift—by the Holy Spirit. This is not a suggestion; it is a reality. You have a gift.
The command is to "minister it to one another." The Greek word diakoneō means to serve, to attend to, to care for. Your gift is not for your own consumption. It is not a toy to play with; it is a tool to build with. It is not a trophy to display; it is a treasure to invest. It is given to you so that you can give it away. It is given to you so that you can serve others.
Then Peter adds a crucial motivation: "As good stewards of the manifold grace of God." The Greek word for "steward" is oikonomos, which means a manager, a caretaker, or one who is entrusted with another's property. You are not the owner of your gift; you are the steward. You are managing God's resources for God's purposes. And the grace of God is "manifold"—poikilos, which means multi-colored, variegated, or diverse. God's grace takes many forms. Your gift is one expression of His multifaceted grace.
The principle of faithful stewardship is woven throughout Scripture. God has entrusted each of us with gifts, talents, resources, and opportunities. He expects us to use them for His glory and for the benefit of others. He expects us to be faithful. He expects us to invest. He expects us to multiply. He expects us to hear, "Well done, good and faithful servant."
The example of Jesus is our ultimate model. Jesus used His gifts faithfully. He healed the sick. He raised the dead. He taught the crowds. He cast out demons. He forgave sinners. He served the poor. He laid down His life on the cross. He did not bury His gifts. He did not hide His talents. He used them fully, completely, and faithfully. And because He did, He fulfilled His purpose and secured our salvation.
What We Often Get Wrong
The first and most common error is that we bury our gifts. Like the unfaithful servant in the parable of the talents, we hide our gifts in the ground. We do not use them. We do not serve. We do not invest. We are afraid of failure. We are afraid of criticism. We are afraid of what others will think. So we do nothing. But burying your gift is not humility; it is disobedience. God gave you a gift to use it. If you do not use it, you are not being humble; you are being unfaithful.
Second, we compare our gifts to others. We look at someone else's gift and wish we had it. We feel inferior because our gift does not seem as impressive. Or we feel superior because our gift seems more important. But comparison is a trap. God has given each of us a unique gift. He has distributed them according to His sovereign will. The eye cannot say to the hand, "I have no need of you" (1 Corinthians 12:21). Every gift is necessary. Every gift is valuable. Every gift is important.
Third, we believe that our gift is too small to matter. We think, "I don't have a platform. I don't have a large following. I don't have a prominent position. What difference can I make?" But God does not measure significance by size. He measures it by faithfulness. The widow's mite was small, but Jesus commended her. The boy's lunch was small, but it fed the multitudes. Your gift, no matter how small it seems to you, is significant in the hands of God. Use it.
Fourth, we use our gifts for selfish purposes. We use our gifts to get attention, to gain influence, to build our brand. We treat our gifts as personal possessions, as tools for our own advancement, as platforms for our own glory. But this is a fundamental misunderstanding of why God gave us gifts. Gifts are not for our benefit; they are for the benefit of others. They are not for our glory; they are for God's glory.
Fifth, we believe that we can wait until later to use our gifts. We think, "I'll serve when I have more time. I'll give when I have more money. I'll use my gift when the timing is right." But the timing is now. Today is the day of opportunity. Today is the day of service. Today is the day to use what God has given you. Do not delay. Do not put it off. Do not waste the time you have.
Sixth, we neglect the maintenance of our gifts. We do not develop them. We do not practice them. We do not sharpen them. We do not invest in them. We become lazy or complacent. But we must fan into flame the gift of God (2 Timothy 1:6). We must cultivate our gifts. We must grow in them. We must use them with excellence.
Seventh, we forget the purpose of our gifts. We get busy serving and forget why we are serving. We forget that the purpose is not the gift; it is the Giver. The purpose is not the service; it is the glory of God. The purpose is not the task; it is the Kingdom. We must always remember that the goal of our gifts is God's glory and others' good.
God's Perspective
God views your gift as a trust to be stewarded. He has entrusted you with something valuable. He has given you a charisma—a grace gift. And He expects you to use it. You will give an account for what you did with what you were given. Did you invest it? Did you multiply it? Did you use it to serve others? Did you use it to glorify God? The parable of the talents makes it clear: the master returned and settled accounts with his servants (Matthew 25:19). He asked, "What did you do with what I gave you?" And He will ask you the same question.
God's perspective is that your gift is for the common good. It is not for you. It is not for your benefit. It is not for your ego. It is for the body of Christ. It is for the building up of the church. It is for the advancement of the Kingdom. It is for the blessing of others. When you use your gift to serve, you are fulfilling the purpose for which it was given.
God sees your gift as an expression of His manifold grace. The word "manifold" (poikilos) means multi-colored, variegated, diverse. God's grace takes many forms. Your gift is one expression of His grace. It is a unique manifestation of His goodness. It is a specific demonstration of His love. When you use your gift, you are displaying the grace of God to the world.
God's perspective is that every gift is necessary. There are no unimportant gifts. There are no insignificant roles. Every part of the body matters. The eye is not more important than the hand. The hand is not more important than the foot. Each part has a function. Each part contributes to the whole. Your gift is necessary. The body of Christ is incomplete without you.
God sees your gift as a means of glorifying Him. The ultimate purpose of your gift is not your fame, your fortune, or your fulfillment. It is the glory of God. When you use your gift to serve others, you are pointing people to God. You are showing them His love. You are demonstrating His power. You are manifesting His grace. And God is glorified.
God's perspective is that He is the one who supplies the strength. Peter says, "If anyone serves, let him serve with the strength which God supplies" (1 Peter 4:11). You do not have to serve in your own strength. You do not have to burn out. You do not have to exhaust yourself. God provides the strength. He provides the energy. He provides the resources. He provides the ability. You simply have to be available. He will do the rest.
Practical Application
Identify Your Gift: Do you know what your spiritual gift is? If not, begin to seek God and ask Him to reveal it to you. Read 1 Corinthians 12, Romans 12, and Ephesians 4 to learn about the different gifts. Ask trusted believers what they see in you. Take spiritual gift assessments. Serve in different areas and see where you bear fruit. God will reveal your gift as you seek Him.
Use Your Gift to Serve: Once you know your gift, use it. Do not bury it. Do not hide it. Do not wait for the perfect opportunity. Start where you are. Serve in your church. Serve in your community. Serve in your home. Use your gift to bless others. Use it to build up the body. Use it to glorify God.
Serve with God's Strength: Do not try to serve in your own strength. You will burn out. You will become exhausted. You will become frustrated. Instead, rely on God's strength. Ask Him to empower you. Ask Him to fill you with His Spirit. Ask Him to give you the energy, the wisdom, and the ability you need. He will provide.
Serve with the Right Motive: Examine your heart. Why are you serving? Are you serving to be seen? Are you serving to be praised? Are you serving to gain influence? Or are you serving to glorify God and to bless others? Purify your motives. Serve out of love. Serve out of gratitude. Serve out of obedience. Serve for God's glory, not your own.
Serve with Excellence: Whatever you do, do it with all your heart, as unto the Lord (Colossians 3:23). Do not be sloppy. Do not be half-hearted. Do not be lazy. Cultivate your gift. Develop your skills. Sharpen your abilities. Give God your best. He deserves nothing less.
Serve in Unity: Do not serve alone. Serve in community. Serve with others. Recognize that you are part of a body. You are not the whole body. You need others, and others need you. Work together. Support one another. Encourage one another. Build one another up. The body functions best when all the parts are working together.
Serve with Joy: Serving is not a burden; it is a privilege. It is not a duty; it is a delight. It is not a chore; it is a joy. When you use your gift to serve others, you are doing what you were created to do. You are fulfilling your purpose. You are experiencing the joy of the Lord. So serve with joy.
Ask Yourself
Do I know what my spiritual gift is?
Am I using my gift to serve others, or am I using it for myself?
Am I burying my gift, or am I investing it?
Am I serving in my own strength, or am I relying on God's strength?
Am I serving with the right motive, or am I seeking my own glory?
Am I serving with excellence, or am I being lazy?
Am I serving with joy, or am I serving out of obligation?
Am I using my gifts faithfully?
Reflection
Use your gifts faithfully. This is the call. This is the command. This is the invitation. Your gift is not for you. It was given to you by the Holy Spirit, but it was not given for your benefit. It was given for the benefit of others. It was given for the building up of the body. It was given for the glory of God. You are a steward of the manifold grace of God. You have been entrusted with something precious. You have been given a sacred trust. And you will give an account for what you did with it.
Do not bury your gift. Do not hide it. Do not use it for yourself. Use it to serve. Use it to bless. Use it to build. Use it to glorify God. When you use your gift to serve others, you are fulfilling the purpose for which it was given. You are doing what you were created to do. You are experiencing the joy of the Lord. You are bringing glory to God.
The body of Christ needs your gift. The world needs your gift. God has placed you in a specific time and a specific place for a specific purpose. He has equipped you with a specific gift for a specific service. Do not withhold it. Do not neglect it. Use it. Use it faithfully. Use it joyfully. Use it for the glory of God. And you will hear, "Well done, good and faithful servant."
You are God's workmanship. You are His masterpiece. He created you in Christ Jesus for good works, which He prepared beforehand that you should walk in them. Do not waste what God has given you. Walk in the good works He has prepared. Use the gifts He has given. Fulfill the purpose He has assigned. And you will discover that the greatest joy in life is not in what you get, but in what you give. Not in what you accumulate, but in what you invest. Not in what you keep, but in what you pour out for the glory of God.
Prayer
Father, I thank You for the gift You have given me. I thank You that You have entrusted me with a manifestation of Your Spirit. I thank You that I am a steward of Your manifold grace. Forgive me for the times I have used my gift for myself. Forgive me for the times I have buried it. Forgive me for the times I have compared it to others. Forgive me for the times I have served in my own strength. Today, I choose to use my gift to serve others. I choose to use it to build up the body. I choose to use it to glorify You. Help me to identify my gift. Help me to develop it. Help me to use it with excellence. Help me to serve with Your strength. Help me to serve with the right motive. Help me to serve with joy. I want my life to be a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to You. I want to use my gift for Your glory. I do not want to waste what You have given me. Help me to use my gifts faithfully. In Jesus' mighty name, Amen.
Declaration
I declare that I will use my gifts faithfully. I have received a gift from the Holy Spirit. I am a steward of the manifold grace of God. I will not bury my gift. I will not hide it. I will not use it for myself. I will use it to serve others. I will use it to build up the body of Christ. I will use it to glorify God. I will serve with the strength that God supplies. I will serve with the right motive. I will serve with excellence. I will serve with joy. My gift is not for me; it is for others. My gift is not for my glory; it is for God's glory. I am God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works. I will walk in those good works. I will use my gift faithfully. I will invest it. I will multiply it. I will not waste what God has given me. I will hear, "Well done, good and faithful servant."
Concluding Scripture
📖 1 Peter 4:10 (NKJV)
"As each one has received a gift, minister it to one another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God."
A Final Word
Use your gifts faithfully. This is the call. This is the command. This is the invitation. Your gift is not for you. It was given to you by the Holy Spirit, but it was not given for your benefit. It was given for the benefit of others. It was given for the building up of the body. It was given for the glory of God. You are a steward of the manifold grace of God. You have been entrusted with something precious. You have been given a sacred trust. And you will give an account for what you did with it.
Do not bury your gift. Do not hide it. Do not use it for yourself. Use it to serve. Use it to bless. Use it to build. Use it to glorify God. When you use your gift to serve others, you are fulfilling the purpose for which it was given. You are doing what you were created to do. You are experiencing the joy of the Lord. You are bringing glory to God.
The body of Christ needs your gift. The world needs your gift. God has placed you in a specific time and a specific place for a specific purpose. He has equipped you with a specific gift for a specific service. Do not withhold it. Do not neglect it. Use it. Use it faithfully. Use it joyfully. Use it for the glory of God. And you will hear, "Well done, good and faithful servant."
You are God's workmanship. You are His masterpiece. He created you in Christ Jesus for good works, which He prepared beforehand that you should walk in them. Do not waste what God has given you. Walk in the good works He has prepared. Use the gifts He has given. Fulfill the purpose He has assigned. And you will discover that the greatest joy in life is not in what you get, but in what you give. Not in what you accumulate, but in what you invest. Not in what you keep, but in what you pour out for the glory of God.

Comments
Post a Comment