Faithful Blessings, Partiality Condemned

Faithful Blessings, Partiality Condemned
Key Bible Texts
Proverbs 28:20 (KJV): "A faithful man shall abound with blessings: but he that maketh haste to be rich shall not be innocent."
Proverbs 28:21 (KJV): "To have respect of persons is not good: for for a piece of bread that man will transgress."
What does it mean?
The first verse draws a clear contrast between the faithful person and the one who is impatient for wealth. A faithful man—one who is trustworthy, steadfast, and true to his word—shall abound with blessings. His faithfulness is rewarded not only materially but also in relationships, reputation, and the favour of God. But the one who makes haste to be rich shall not be innocent. The person who pursues wealth with urgency, willing to cut corners or compromise integrity, will not escape judgment. His greed will catch up with him, and he will be held accountable for his dishonest ways.
The second verse condemns the practice of showing partiality or favouritism. To have respect of persons—to judge others based on their status, wealth, or appearance rather than on the merits of their case—is not good. The verse adds a shocking detail: for a piece of bread that man will transgress. Favouritism is so corrupting that a person will compromise justice for even the smallest reward. A mere morsel of bread can sway a judge or leader to pervert justice. This shows the depth of the corruption that partiality breeds—it cheapens justice and reveals a heart that can be bought for almost nothing.
The Twist
The surprising connection between these two verses is that both deal with the corrupting power of greed and self‑interest. The one who hastens to be rich is driven by greed; the one who shows partiality is driven by the desire for personal gain, even if it is as small as a piece of bread. The twist is that faithfulness leads to abundant blessings, while greed and partiality lead to punishment and corruption. Another profound turn is that the person who shows partiality may think he is gaining favour or advantage, but he is actually transgressing and inviting judgment. And the one who makes haste to be rich may think he is securing his future, but he is actually losing his integrity and his innocence. And perhaps the deepest surprise is that the same God who blesses the faithful also judges the corrupt—and His judgment is not swayed by status or bribes.
What can I learn?
I learn that faithfulness is the pathway to true blessing. I do not need to chase wealth or compromise my integrity; if I am faithful to God and to others, He will bless me in due time. I also learn that the pursuit of wealth, especially when it is hasty and impatient, leads to guilt and punishment. I must resist the temptation to cut corners or to make money my primary goal. Furthermore, I discover that partiality is a serious sin that corrupts justice and reveals a heart that can be bought. I must be fair and impartial in my dealings with others, regardless of their status or what they can offer me. Finally, I am reminded that even a small compromise—like showing favour for a piece of bread—is a transgression before God.
How does it apply to me?
Examine your own pursuit of wealth and success. Are you faithful in your work, your relationships, and your stewardship? Or are you impatient, willing to compromise your integrity for financial gain? If you have been hasty, repent and commit to walking in faithfulness. Then examine your treatment of others. Do you show partiality? Do you treat people differently based on their status, wealth, or what they can do for you? If so, repent and commit to being fair and impartial. Remember that even a small act of favouritism is a transgression. Treat every person with the same dignity and fairness, regardless of their position.
Final Reflections
These two proverbs expose the corrupting power of greed and partiality. The one who hastens to be rich loses his innocence; the one who shows partiality transgresses for a mere morsel. But the faithful person abounds with blessings because his trust is in the Lord and his actions are marked by integrity. May we resist the temptation of quick wealth and the lure of favouritism. May we be faithful in all things, trusting that God's blessings are far greater than any gain we could achieve through compromise. And may we treat every person with fairness and dignity, knowing that God is no respecter of persons.
Prayer
Lord God, I thank You for Your truth, that those who are faithful will have many blessings. I thank You that those who hasten to be rich will not go unpunished. Cause me to be faithful, and not in a hurry to become rich. I thank You that it is not good to show partiality, because for a piece of bread, a man will transgress. Cause me to not show partiality, or be a respecter of persons. Father, forgive me for the times I have been impatient for wealth or have compromised my integrity. Forgive me for the times I have shown favouritism or treated others unfairly. Give me a faithful heart that trusts in You and a fair spirit that treats all people with dignity. Let me not be swayed by greed or partiality, but let my life be marked by integrity and justice. In Jesus' name, Amen.
Comments
Post a Comment