PURPOSE WITHOUT GOD IS EMPTY
THE FUTILITY OF SELF-MADE PURPOSE
Key Scripture
📖 John 15:5 (NKJV)
"I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing."
📖 Psalm 127:1 (NKJV)
"Unless the Lord builds the house, they labor in vain who build it; unless the Lord guards the city, the watchman stays awake in vain."
Introduction
There is a profound emptiness that haunts the human heart. It is the emptiness of a life lived without God. It is the emptiness of a purpose pursued without the One who gives purpose. It is the emptiness of building a kingdom that is not His Kingdom, of running a race that is not His race, of fighting a battle that is not His battle. It is the emptiness of achieving everything you ever wanted and discovering that it means nothing without Him.
We live in a world that is obsessed with purpose. We are told to find our passion, to discover our why, to live our best life, to pursue our dreams, to make our mark on the world. We are told that purpose is the key to fulfillment, that meaning is the key to happiness, that significance is the key to satisfaction. And so we chase after purpose. We build our careers. We pursue our ambitions. We accumulate our achievements. We construct our legacies. We build our houses. We guard our cities. We labor. We toil. We strive. And we do it all without God.
But the psalmist declares, "Unless the Lord builds the house, they labor in vain who build it; unless the Lord guards the city, the watchman stays awake in vain." The Hebrew word for "builds" is banah, which means to build, to construct, or to establish. The word for "house" is bayith, which means a house, a dwelling, or a household. The word for "vain" is shav, which means empty, worthless, or futile. The word for "labor" is amal, which means to toil, to labor, or to work. The word for "guards" is shamar, which means to keep, to watch, to guard, or to protect. The word for "city" is iyr, which means a city, a town, or a place of habitation. The word for "watchman" is shomer, which means a guard, a watchman, or a keeper. The word for "stays awake" is shaqad, which means to watch, to be awake, or to be vigilant.
Solomon is saying, "Unless the Lord builds the house, the builders labor in vain. Unless the Lord guards the city, the watchman stays awake in vain." You can build. You can labor. You can toil. You can strive. You can achieve. You can accomplish. But if the Lord is not in it, it is empty. It is worthless. It is futile. It is vanity. You can pursue your purpose with all your might. You can chase your dreams with all your energy. You can build your kingdom with all your resources. But if the Lord is not the foundation, the builder, and the keeper, it will all come to nothing.
Jesus declared, "I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing." The Greek word for "vine" is ampelos, which refers to a grapevine. The word for "branches" is klēma, which refers to the shoots or branches that grow from the vine. The word for "abides" is menō, which means to remain, to stay, to continue, or to dwell. The word for "fruit" is karpos, which means fruit, produce, or harvest. The word for "without" is chōris, which means apart from, without, or separate from. The word for "nothing" is oudeis, which means nothing, not one thing, or no thing.
Jesus is saying, "I am the vine. You are the branches. If you abide in Me, and I in you, you will bear much fruit. But apart from Me, you can do nothing. Nothing of eternal value. Nothing of lasting significance. Nothing of true worth. You can build your house. You can guard your city. You can pursue your purpose. But without Me, it is empty."
This teaching is for everyone who has ever pursued purpose without God. It is for the one who has been building a kingdom that is not His Kingdom. It is for the one who has been running a race that is not His race. It is for the one who has been chasing dreams that are not His dreams. It is for the one who has achieved everything they ever wanted and discovered that it is empty without Him. It is time to reorient your purpose around the One who gives purpose. It is time to abide in the Vine. It is time to build with the Lord. It is time to understand that purpose without God is empty.
Biblical Truth
John 15:5 and Psalm 127:1 together provide a powerful biblical framework for understanding the emptiness of purpose without God. They reveal that without Christ we can do nothing, and that unless the Lord builds the house, we labor in vain.
John 15:5 is one of the most profound statements about the believer's relationship with Christ. Jesus said, "I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing."
The context is critical. Jesus had just washed His disciples' feet. He had just told them about the coming of the Holy Spirit. He had just told them that He was the way, the truth, and the life. And now He gives them this powerful metaphor: He is the vine, and they are the branches. The vine is the source of life. The branches are the extensions of the vine. The branches cannot survive without the vine. They cannot bear fruit without the vine. They cannot do anything without the vine.
The Greek word for "abides" is menō, which means to remain, to stay, to continue, or to dwell. It is the same word used in John 15:4, where Jesus says, "Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me." Abiding is not a one-time event. It is a continuous, ongoing, moment-by-moment relationship. It is staying connected to the vine. It is drawing life from the vine. It is remaining in the vine. It is dwelling in the vine.
The Greek word for "fruit" is karpos, which means fruit, produce, or harvest. It is the same word used in Galatians 5:22, where Paul lists the fruit of the Spirit. It is the same word used in Philippians 1:11, where Paul speaks of the fruits of righteousness. Fruit is the evidence of life. Fruit is the result of abiding. Fruit is the product of the vine flowing through the branches. When you abide in Christ, you will bear much fruit. Not some fruit. Not a little fruit. Much fruit. Abundant fruit. Lasting fruit.
The phrase "for without Me you can do nothing" is the key. The Greek word for "without" is chōris, which means apart from, without, or separate from. The word for "nothing" is oudeis, which means nothing, not one thing, or no thing. Jesus is saying, "Apart from Me, you can do nothing. Nothing of eternal value. Nothing of lasting significance. Nothing of true worth. You can do many things in your own strength. You can achieve many things in your own power. You can accomplish many things in your own ability. But apart from Me, it is nothing. It is empty. It is futile. It is vanity."
Psalm 127:1 expands on this truth. Solomon writes, "Unless the Lord builds the house, they labor in vain who build it; unless the Lord guards the city, the watchman stays awake in vain."
The Hebrew word for "builds" is banah, which means to build, to construct, or to establish. The word for "house" is bayith, which means a house, a dwelling, or a household. The word for "vain" is shav, which means empty, worthless, or futile. The word for "labor" is amal, which means to toil, to labor, or to work. The word for "guards" is shamar, which means to keep, to watch, to guard, or to protect. The word for "city" is iyr, which means a city, a town, or a place of habitation. The word for "watchman" is shomer, which means a guard, a watchman, or a keeper. The word for "stays awake" is shaqad, which means to watch, to be awake, or to be vigilant.
Solomon is saying, "Unless the Lord builds the house, the builders labor in vain. Unless the Lord guards the city, the watchman stays awake in vain." You can build. You can labor. You can toil. You can strive. You can achieve. You can accomplish. You can guard. You can watch. You can protect. But if the Lord is not in it, it is empty. It is worthless. It is futile. It is vanity.
The principle is simple: without God, purpose is empty. You can have a purpose. You can have a plan. You can have a vision. You can have a mission. But if God is not at the center of it, it is empty. If God is not the foundation of it, it is empty. If God is not the builder of it, it is empty. If God is not the keeper of it, it is empty. Purpose without God is empty.
The principle of abiding in Christ is woven throughout Scripture. The psalmist declared, "Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor stands in the path of sinners, nor sits in the seat of the scornful; but his delight is in the law of the Lord, and in His law he meditates day and night. He shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that brings forth its fruit in its season, whose leaf also shall not wither; and whatever he does shall prosper" (Psalm 1:1-3). The one who delights in the Lord, who meditates on His Word, who abides in His presence, is like a tree planted by rivers of water. He bears fruit. His leaf does not wither. Whatever he does prospers. But the one who does not abide is like the chaff which the wind drives away (Psalm 1:4).
Jesus said, "Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me" (John 15:4). He said, "If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you" (John 15:7). He said, "As the Father loved Me, I also have loved you; abide in My love" (John 15:9). The call is consistent: abide in Christ. Remain in Him. Stay connected to Him. Draw life from Him. Without Him, you can do nothing. With Him, you can bear much fruit.
The example of Jesus is our ultimate model. Jesus did not pursue His own purpose. He pursued the Father's purpose. He said, "My food is to do the will of Him who sent Me, and to finish His work" (John 4:34). He said, "I have glorified You on the earth. I have finished the work which You have given Me to do" (John 17:4). He said, "I do nothing of Myself; but as My Father taught Me, I speak these things" (John 8:28). He said, "I can of Myself do nothing. As I hear, I judge; and My judgment is righteous, because I do not seek My own will but the will of the Father who sent Me" (John 5:30). Jesus did not build His own house. He built the Father's house. He did not guard His own city. He guarded the Father's city. He did not pursue His own purpose. He pursued the Father's purpose. And because He did, His purpose was not empty. It was full. It was fruitful. It was eternal.
What We Often Get Wrong
The first and most common error is that we pursue purpose without God. We build our careers without consulting Him. We pursue our ambitions without seeking His will. We construct our legacies without inviting His involvement. We make our plans without acknowledging His sovereignty. We build our houses without the Lord. We guard our cities without the Lord. We pursue our purposes without the Lord. And then we wonder why it feels empty. We wonder why it feels meaningless. We wonder why it feels futile. It is empty because it is built without Him.
Second, we believe that our own strength is enough. We think that if we just work hard enough, plan well enough, and strategize effectively enough, we can achieve our purpose. We think that we can build our own house. We think that we can guard our own city. We think that we can fulfill our own destiny. But Jesus said, "Without Me you can do nothing." We cannot build anything of eternal value without Him. We cannot guard anything of lasting significance without Him. We cannot fulfill anything of true worth without Him. Our own strength is not enough.
Third, we confuse success with significance. We think that if we achieve our goals, if we reach our targets, if we accomplish our objectives, we have fulfilled our purpose. We think that success equals significance. But this is not true. You can be successful in the eyes of the world and still be empty in the eyes of God. You can build a great house and still labor in vain. You can guard a great city and still stay awake in vain. Success without God is empty. Significance is not found in what you achieve. It is found in who you abide in.
Fourth, we believe that we can bear fruit on our own. We think that if we just try harder, serve more, give more, and do more, we can produce fruit. We think that we can manufacture fruit. We think that we can create fruit. We think that we can generate fruit. But Jesus said, "As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me" (John 15:4). We cannot bear fruit on our own. We cannot produce fruit in our own strength. Fruit is the result of abiding. Fruit is the product of the vine flowing through the branches. Fruit is the evidence of life in Christ.
Fifth, we neglect the abiding relationship. We are so busy pursuing our purpose that we neglect our relationship with God. We are so focused on the mission that we forget the Master. We are so consumed with the work that we neglect the Vine. We are so busy building that we forget the Builder. We must not neglect the abiding relationship. We must abide in Christ. We must remain in Him. We must stay connected to Him. We must draw life from Him. Without the abiding relationship, everything else is empty.
Sixth, we forget that God is the one who gives purpose. We think that purpose is something we create. We think that meaning is something we manufacture. We think that significance is something we achieve. But purpose is not something we create. It is something God gives. Meaning is not something we manufacture. It is something God imparts. Significance is not something we achieve. It is something God bestows. God is the one who gives purpose. God is the one who gives meaning. God is the one who gives significance. Without Him, there is no purpose. Without Him, there is no meaning. Without Him, there is no significance.
Seventh, we lose sight of the eternal. We are so focused on the temporary that we lose sight of the eternal. We are so focused on the here and now that we forget about the there and then. We are so focused on building our earthly house that we neglect our heavenly home. We must fix our eyes on the eternal. We must seek the things that are above. We must set our minds on things above, not on things on the earth (Colossians 3:2). The things of this world will pass away. Only what is done in Christ will last.
God's Perspective
God views your purpose as something that must be rooted in Him. He does not want you to pursue purpose apart from Him. He does not want you to build your house without Him. He does not want you to guard your city without Him. He wants to be the foundation of your purpose. He wants to be the builder of your house. He wants to be the keeper of your city. He wants to be the center of everything you do. Because without Him, it is empty. Without Him, it is futile. Without Him, it is vanity.
God's perspective is that He is the one who gives purpose. Purpose is not something you find. It is something He gives. Meaning is not something you create. It is something He imparts. Significance is not something you achieve. It is something He bestows. He has a purpose for your life. He has a plan for your future. He has a destiny for your soul. And that purpose, that plan, that destiny is found in Him. Seek Him. Seek His purpose. Seek His plan. Seek His destiny. And you will find that your purpose is full, not empty.
God sees your labor without Him as vain. It is empty. It is worthless. It is futile. You can labor. You can toil. You can strive. You can achieve. You can accomplish. You can build. You can guard. But if He is not in it, it is empty. It is like building a house on sand. It is like guarding a city with no walls. It is like chasing after the wind. It is vanity of vanities. It is empty. It is futile. It is nothing.
God's perspective is that He wants to be your source. He wants to be the vine from which you draw your life. He wants to be the foundation on which you build your house. He wants to be the keeper who guards your city. He wants to be the one who supplies your strength, your wisdom, your provision, and your protection. He wants to be your everything. Because apart from Him, you can do nothing. Apart from Him, you have nothing. Apart from Him, you are nothing.
God sees your abiding in Him as the key to fruitfulness. When you abide in Him, you will bear much fruit. When you remain in Him, you will produce lasting fruit. When you stay connected to Him, you will be fruitful in every good work. Fruit is not something you manufacture. It is something that flows from the Vine. It is something that grows from your relationship with Him. Abide in Him. Remain in Him. Stay connected to Him. And you will bear much fruit.
God's perspective is that He is building something eternal. He is building His Kingdom. He is building His church. He is building your life into something that will last forever. He is building a house that will never crumble. He is guarding a city that will never fall. He is establishing a purpose that will never fade. When you build with Him, you are building something eternal. When you guard with Him, you are guarding something lasting. When you abide in Him, you are part of something that will never end.
Practical Application
Abide in Christ Daily: Make it your priority to abide in Christ. Spend time with Him every day. Read His Word. Pray. Worship. Listen to His voice. Stay connected to the Vine. Draw life from Him. Remain in His love. Abide in Him. Not just on Sundays. Not just in church. Every day. Moment by moment. Abide in Christ.
Surrender Your Purpose to God: Surrender your purpose to God. Say, "Lord, not my purpose, but Yours. Not my will, but Yours. Not my plan, but Yours. I give You my dreams. I give You my goals. I give You my ambitions. I give You my future. Build Your house. Guard Your city. Fulfill Your purpose in my life." Surrender your purpose to Him.
Build with the Lord: Do not build alone. Build with the Lord. Invite Him into every project. Seek His guidance for every decision. Acknowledge Him in every step. Say, "Lord, unless You build this house, I labor in vain. So build it with me. Guide me. Direct me. Establish the work of my hands." Build with the Lord.
Guard with the Lord: Do not guard alone. Guard with the Lord. Trust Him to protect what He has given you. Trust Him to watch over your family, your finances, your health, and your future. Say, "Lord, unless You guard this city, I stay awake in vain. So guard it. Protect it. Keep it. Watch over it." Guard with the Lord.
Fruitfulness Through Abiding: Do not try to manufacture fruit. Do not try to produce fruit in your own strength. Abide in Christ. Remain in Him. Stay connected to the Vine. And fruit will come. It will grow. It will appear. It will be abundant. It will be lasting. Fruitfulness is not about effort; it is about abiding. Abide in Christ.
Trust God's Timing: God's timing is not our timing. He may not build as quickly as we would like. He may not guard as visibly as we would expect. But His timing is perfect. His ways are higher. Trust His timing. Trust His process. Trust His plan. He knows what He is doing. He will build in His time. He will guard in His time. He will fulfill His purpose in His time.
Focus on the Eternal: Do not build for the temporary. Do not labor for the passing. Do not guard for the fleeting. Build for the eternal. Labor for the lasting. Guard for the enduring. Store up treasures in heaven, not on earth. Invest in what will never fade. Focus on the eternal. Because only what is done in Christ will last.
Ask Yourself
Am I pursuing purpose without God?
Am I building my house without the Lord?
Am I guarding my city without the Lord?
Am I trying to bear fruit on my own?
Am I abiding in Christ?
Am I surrendering my purpose to God?
Am I building with the Lord?
Am I focusing on the eternal or the temporary?
Reflection
Purpose without God is empty. This is the truth. This is the warning. This is the invitation. You can build. You can labor. You can toil. You can strive. You can achieve. You can accomplish. You can guard. You can watch. You can protect. But if the Lord is not in it, it is empty. It is worthless. It is futile. It is vanity.
Unless the Lord builds the house, they labor in vain who build it. Unless the Lord guards the city, the watchman stays awake in vain. This is the principle. This is the promise. This is the perspective. God must be the foundation. God must be the builder. God must be the keeper. God must be at the center of everything you do. Because without Him, it is empty. Without Him, it is nothing.
I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing. This is the truth. This is the promise. This is the invitation. Abide in Christ. Remain in Him. Stay connected to Him. Draw life from Him. And you will bear much fruit. Not some fruit. Not a little fruit. Much fruit. Abundant fruit. Lasting fruit. But apart from Him, you can do nothing. Nothing of eternal value. Nothing of lasting significance. Nothing of true worth.
So abide in Christ. Surrender your purpose to God. Build with the Lord. Guard with the Lord. Bear fruit through abiding. Trust God's timing. Focus on the eternal. And you will discover that purpose with God is not empty. It is full. It is meaningful. It is significant. It is lasting. It is eternal. Purpose without God is empty. But purpose with God is everything.
Prayer
Father, I confess that I have pursued purpose without You. I have built my house without the Lord. I have guarded my city without the Lord. I have tried to bear fruit on my own. I have labored in vain. Forgive me. Today, I choose to abide in Christ. I choose to remain in Him. I choose to stay connected to the Vine. I choose to surrender my purpose to You. I choose to build with You. I choose to guard with You. I choose to bear fruit through abiding. I choose to trust Your timing. I choose to focus on the eternal. Unless You build the house, I labor in vain. Unless You guard the city, I stay awake in vain. So build with me. Guard with me. Fulfill Your purpose in my life. I do not want to pursue purpose without You. I want to pursue purpose with You. I want to abide in You. I want to bear much fruit. I want my purpose to be full, not empty. In Jesus' mighty name, Amen.
Declaration
I declare that purpose without God is empty. I will not pursue purpose without Him. I will not build my house without the Lord. I will not guard my city without the Lord. I will not labor in vain. I will abide in Christ. I will remain in Him. I will stay connected to the Vine. I will draw life from Him. I will bear much fruit. Apart from Him, I can do nothing. But with Him, I can do all things. I will surrender my purpose to God. I will build with the Lord. I will guard with the Lord. I will bear fruit through abiding. I will trust God's timing. I will focus on the eternal. My purpose is not empty. My purpose is full. My purpose is meaningful. My purpose is significant. My purpose is lasting. My purpose is eternal. Because my purpose is rooted in Him. I abide in Christ. I remain in Him. I bear much fruit. Purpose without God is empty. But purpose with God is everything. And I have purpose with God.
Concluding Scripture
📖 John 15:5 (NKJV)
"I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing."
A Final Word
Purpose without God is empty. This is the truth. This is the warning. This is the invitation. You can build. You can labor. You can toil. You can strive. You can achieve. You can accomplish. You can guard. You can watch. You can protect. But if the Lord is not in it, it is empty. It is worthless. It is futile. It is vanity.
Unless the Lord builds the house, they labor in vain who build it. Unless the Lord guards the city, the watchman stays awake in vain. This is the principle. This is the promise. This is the perspective. God must be the foundation. God must be the builder. God must be the keeper. God must be at the center of everything you do. Because without Him, it is empty. Without Him, it is nothing.
I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing. This is the truth. This is the promise. This is the invitation. Abide in Christ. Remain in Him. Stay connected to Him. Draw life from Him. And you will bear much fruit. Not some fruit. Not a little fruit. Much fruit. Abundant fruit. Lasting fruit. But apart from Him, you can do nothing. Nothing of eternal value. Nothing of lasting significance. Nothing of true worth.
So abide in Christ. Surrender your purpose to God. Build with the Lord. Guard with the Lord. Bear fruit through abiding. Trust God's timing. Focus on the eternal. And you will discover that purpose with God is not empty. It is full. It is meaningful. It is significant. It is lasting. It is eternal. Purpose without God is empty. But purpose with God is everything.

Comments
Post a Comment