From Calling to Commissioning
Scripture Foundation:
Isaiah 6:1–8 (NKJV)
1 In the year that King Uzziah died, I saw the Lord sitting on a throne, high and lifted up, and the train of His robe filled the temple. 2 Above it stood seraphim; each one had six wings: with two he covered his face, with two he covered his feet, and with two he flew. 3 And one cried to another and said: "Holy, holy, holy is the Lord of hosts; The whole earth is full of His glory!" 4 And the posts of the door were shaken by the voice of him who cried out, and the house was filled with smoke. 5 So I said: "Woe is me, for I am undone! Because I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips; for my eyes have seen the King, The Lord of hosts." 6 Then one of the seraphim flew to me, having in his hand a live coal which he had taken with the tongs from the altar. 7 And he touched my mouth with it, and said: "Behold, this has touched your lips; your iniquity is taken away, and your sin purged." 8 Also I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: "Whom shall I send, and who will go for Us?" Then I said, "Here am I! Send me."
Matthew 28:18–20 (NKJV)
18 And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, "All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. 19 Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." Amen.
The Sermon (What does it mean?)
Two visions, two commissions, one unbroken thread of divine purpose. In Isaiah 6, the prophet is caught up into the throne room of heaven. The year is marked by the death of King Uzziah—a moment of national instability and personal grief. Isaiah is a man of his people, sharing their spiritual dullness and moral failure. But then he sees the Lord. Not a symbol, not a vision of a distant deity, but the Lord Himself, "high and lifted up." The train of His robe fills the temple—an image of overwhelming glory that cannot be contained. The seraphim, the burning ones, cry out in antiphonal worship: "Holy, holy, holy is the Lord of hosts; the whole earth is full of His glory!" The foundations of the threshold shake. The house fills with smoke. Isaiah is undone. He cries, "Woe is me, for I am undone! Because I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips." He understands that to see the King is to see his own unworthiness. There is no pretense, no self-justification, no performance. Only raw confession.
Then grace descends. A seraph flies to him with a live coal from the altar, touches his lips, and declares, "Your iniquity is taken away, and your sin purged." The cleansing is immediate, costly, and divine. And only then does the voice of the Lord break the silence: "Whom shall I send, and who will go for Us?" The call comes after the cleansing. The commissioning follows the consecration. And Isaiah responds with the most spontaneous and courageous word in all of Scripture: "Here am I! Send me."
Centuries later, on a mountain in Galilee, the risen Christ gathers His disciples—men who had seen Him crucified, risen, and now glorified. He declares, "All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth." That authority is the foundation of the commission. He does not send them on the basis of their own strength, eloquence, or courage. He sends them on the basis of His absolute sovereignty. Then He commands: "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you." And He seals the commission with the ultimate promise: "And lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age."
These two passages trace the complete arc of divine service. Isaiah's encounter reveals the pattern of calling—a vision of God's glory, conviction of sin, cleansing by grace, and a willing response. Matthew's Great Commission represents the commissioning—the authority, the global mission, and the abiding presence that empowers every obedient step. What begins in the throne room of heaven ends in the streets of the world. The call is personal; the commission is global. The cleansing prepares; the command sends. And the One who calls is the same One who promises, "I am with you always."
The Twist
The twist is hidden in the order of events. We naturally assume that the call to serve comes first—that we must be chosen, appointed, and sent before we can be cleansed. We imagine that God is looking for qualified people, and we spend years trying to become worthy of the call. We clean ourselves up, fix our weaknesses, and polish our credentials, hoping that one day we will be ready to say, "Send me."
Here is the shocking reversal: The call does not come to the clean; the call comes to the broken, and the cleansing comes with the call. Isaiah did not clean his own lips; the seraph cleansed him with a coal from the altar. The cleansing was not a prerequisite he achieved; it was a gift he received. He was undone, unworthy, and unclean—and that was precisely the moment God chose him. The twist is that your unworthiness does not disqualify you; it positions you for grace. God does not call the qualified; He qualifies the called. The burning coal is not a reward for your purity; it is the source of your purity.
The second twist is the nature of Isaiah's response. He does not say, "Here I am, send me after I have prepared a five-year plan." He says, "Send me." Without knowing the details. Without knowing the cost. Without knowing the outcome. The twist is that the response of faith is not calculated; it is surrendered. Isaiah did not ask for a job description or a mission statement. He simply offered himself. The commissioning was not about the task; it was about the trust.
The third twist is the connection between authority and presence in Matthew 28. Jesus grounds the commission in His authority—"All authority has been given to Me." And He grounds the commission in His presence—"I am with you always." The twist is that you are not sent in your own authority; you are sent in His. And you are not sent alone; He goes with you. The Great Commission is not a command that leaves you to figure it out; it is a command that comes with the promise of companionship. You do not go for Him; you go with Him.
The Principle
The core principle is the Law of Consecration Before Commission. God does not send you until He has cleansed you. The vision of His holiness produces the conviction of your sinfulness, and the conviction drives you to His grace. That grace purifies, and that purification launches you into mission. The principle is that your service flows from your intimacy. You do not serve to be cleansed; you are cleansed to serve.
The second principle is the Law of Authority-Based Mission. The Great Commission is not a suggestion; it is a command issued by the One who holds all authority. Your mission is not optional; it is mandated. But the authority that commands is also the authority that empowers. The principle is that you are authorized by the King to do the King's work. You do not need the world's permission; you have Heaven's mandate.
The third principle is the Law of Presence-Sustained Obedience. The promise "I am with you always" is not a footnote; it is the engine of the mission. You cannot fulfill the commission in your own strength. But you do not have to. The presence of Christ is your power, your peace, and your protection. The principle is that obedience to the commission is not a burden you carry; it is a journey He walks with you.
How does it apply to me?
It applies by demanding that you move from passive calling to active commissioning. You have heard the call—the stirring in your heart, the conviction of the Spirit, the nudging of the Word. But you have lingered in the throne room, comfortable with the vision but hesitant to embrace the mission. Today, you are invited to say with Isaiah, "Here am I! Send me."
Practically:
Surrender your unworthiness. Stop disqualifying yourself. Your unclean lips have been touched by the coal of grace. Your iniquity is taken away. Your sin is purged. You are not too broken, too weak, or too sinful to be used by God. The burning coal has already done its work. Receive your cleansing and step forward.
Embrace the commission. The Great Commission is not for a select few; it is for every disciple. You are called to make disciples—not necessarily by crossing oceans, but by crossing rooms. Wherever you are, you are sent. Your workplace, your family, your neighborhood, your social circle—these are your nations. Start where you are.
Step out on His authority. You are not sent in your name; you are sent in His name. You do not need to be eloquent; you have His authority. You do not need to be influential; you have His mandate. When you speak, teach, and love in His name, you are backed by the One who holds all authority. Do not be afraid.
Live in His presence. The promise "I am with you always" is not a distant comfort; it is a present reality. You are never alone. Whether you are facing opposition, rejection, or discouragement, He is with you. Let His presence be your confidence. Let His nearness be your courage.
One Truth to Carry
Your calling is not complete until it becomes commissioning. The vision of His glory must become the mission of His grace. You were not cleansed to sit; you were cleansed to be sent. The throne room leads to the world.
Final Reflections
Think about Isaiah. He saw the Lord high and lifted up. He was undone by his own sin. He was cleansed by a coal from the altar. And then he heard the voice: "Whom shall I send?" He could have remained in the temple, basking in the glory, rehearsing the vision, and enjoying the cleansing. But he did not. He said, "Here am I! Send me." And the rest of his life was a testimony of faithful service to a rebellious people. He did not know the cost, but he knew the Caller. And that was enough.
Think about the disciples. They saw the risen Lord. They received His authority. They heard His command. And they went. They did not have maps, strategies, or guarantees. But they had His presence. And that presence carried them to the ends of the earth.
You have seen the Lord. You have been cleansed by the cross. You have heard the command. Now it is time to go. Do not linger in the throne room. The world is waiting. The nations are waiting. The harvest is plentiful. And the Lord of the harvest is saying, "Whom shall I send?" Your answer matters. Will you say, "Here am I! Send me"? The commission is not a burden; it is the greatest privilege of your life. Go, and He will be with you always.
Prayer
Father, I thank You for the vision of Your glory. I thank You that You have cleansed me by the coal of Your grace. I confess that I have lingered in the comfort of the throne room, afraid to answer the call to the world. Forgive me for my hesitation. Forgive me for my excuses. Today, I say, "Here am I! Send me." I do not know where You will send me. I do not know what the cost will be. But I know the One who sends, and I trust Him. I receive the authority of Christ. I embrace the Great Commission. I will go, I will teach, I will baptize, I will make disciples. And I will do it not in my strength, but in His presence. Be with me always. Lead me, guide me, and empower me. Let my life be a testimony of Your glory from this moment until the end of the age. In the name of Jesus, the risen and reigning King, Amen.
Personal Application Prompts
The Throne Room Reflection: Spend time meditating on Isaiah 6. Write down what it means for you to see the Lord "high and lifted up." What does His holiness reveal about your own heart? What "unclean lips" need to be cleansed—areas of speech, attitudes, or compromises? Ask the Spirit to bring conviction, and then receive the cleansing grace of the coal.
The "Here Am I" Declaration: This week, intentionally place yourself in a posture of availability. Pray specifically: "Lord, I am available. I am willing. Send me." Write down at least one specific area where you sense God is inviting you to step into mission—a relationship, a ministry, a conversation, a sacrificial act. Commit to taking that step within the next seven days.
The Authority Audit: The Great Commission is built on Christ's authority. Identify one area of your life where you have been timid or fearful to speak or act in His name. Write down the fear. Then, write down the truth: "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to Jesus. I am sent by Him." This week, step into that situation with confidence, trusting His authority over your fear.
The Presence Promise: Whenever you feel alone or discouraged in your mission, pause and remind yourself: "He is with me always." Write this promise on a card and place it where you will see it daily. Each time you see it, whisper, "Lord, I am not alone. You are with me. I can go because You are with me." Let this truth become the foundation of your commissioning.

Comments
Post a Comment