The Higher Realm of the Fear of the Lord

The Higher Realm of the Fear of the Lord

What Does It Mean?

This teaching elevates the concept of the fear of the Lord to a higher realm by revealing that God sees every thought and imagination. The instruction begins with the foundational truth that the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom and knowledge, while fools despise wisdom and instruction. It then declares that with God, it gets into a higher realm—God sees every thought, and the movies we run in our personal, private, secret imagination become the basis for our success or failure in life.

The teaching cites 1 Chronicles 28:9, where David instructs Solomon to know God intimately and serve Him with a whole heart and willing mind, for the Lord sees every heart and knows every plan and thought. It also references Genesis 6:5, which describes how God saw that everything humanity thought or imagined was consistently and totally evil.

The instruction then explains what the fear of the Lord truly means: it is when an individual realizes that God sees everything that is going on and that nothing can be hidden from His eyes. This is not a terror that drives us away but a reverent awareness that shapes how we live.

The teaching then turns to Jesus' words in Mark 7:14-23. Jesus declared that it is not what goes into the body that defiles a person but what comes from the heart. From within, out of a person's heart, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, greed, wickedness, deceit, lustful desires, envy, slander, pride, and foolishness. These are the things that defile us.

The teaching reveals that these attitudes, ideas, mental pictures, and reactions are all the result of the kind of information we allow into our thought-life. Evil is manufactured by stored thoughts and word-pictures called "imaginations." Jesus further taught that looking at a woman with lust is adultery in the heart.

The teaching concludes with the sobering reminder: God sees all of that. If this doesn't put the fear of God into us, it should.

The Twist

The unexpected element in this teaching is the connection between the fear of the Lord and the secret life of the imagination. The fear of the Lord is not just about external behavior but about the internal world of thoughts, imaginations, and intentions. God sees everything that goes on in the "movie theater" of our minds, and this awareness is the essence of the fear of the Lord.

Another surprising insight is that the imagination is where evil is manufactured. Stored thoughts and word-pictures called "imaginations" produce the evil that comes out of our hearts. This means that the battle against sin begins in the imagination, and the only way to defeat it is to guard what we allow into our minds.

The teaching also reveals that the list of sins in Mark 7—evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, greed, wickedness, deceit, lust, envy, slander, pride, and foolishness—all come from within. This is why external changes are not enough. The heart must be transformed.

Perhaps most challenging is the reminder that God sees all of it. There is no secret thought, no hidden imagination, no private fantasy that God does not see. This is the foundation of the fear of the Lord—a reverent awareness that we live in the presence of the One who knows everything.

How Does It Apply to Me?

Recognize That God Sees Everything

God sees every thought and imagination. I need to live with the awareness that nothing is hidden from Him.

I can apply this by:

Being honest with God about my thoughts

Not pretending that my private thoughts are secret

Living with transparency before God

Allowing the fear of the Lord to guide my thoughts

Guard My Thought-Life

Evil is manufactured by stored thoughts and imaginations. I need to guard what I allow into my mind and be intentional about my thought-life.

I can do this by:

Not entertaining sinful thoughts

Filling my mind with what is true and lovely

Being vigilant about what I watch and listen to

Bringing my thoughts captive to Christ

Understand That the Heart Is the Source

All evil comes from within—from the heart. I need to address the root of sin in my heart, not just external behavior.

I can apply this by:

Examining my heart for hidden sin

Not being satisfied with outward compliance

Seeking heart transformation

Allowing God to change me from the inside out

Let the Fear of the Lord Shape My Life

The fear of the Lord is a reverent awareness that God sees everything. I need to let this fear shape my choices and keep me from sin.

I can do this by:

Not hiding sin from God

Confessing quickly when I sin

Living with integrity

Cultivating a healthy fear of the Lord

Reject the Lie That I Can Hide

The teaching challenges the lie that I can hide my thoughts from God. I need to reject this deception and live in the light of His presence.

I can do this by:

Not believing that my thoughts are private

Being honest with God about my struggles

Bringing my thoughts into the light

Living with transparency

Seek Heart Transformation

External changes are not enough. I need to seek heart transformation through God's Word and Spirit.

I can apply this by:

Asking God to change my heart

Allowing the Holy Spirit to work in me

Not settling for surface-level change

Pursuing deep transformation

Let This Put the Fear of God in Me

If the truth that God sees everything does not put the fear of God in me, it should. I need to let this reality shape my life.

I can do this by:

Taking God's holiness seriously

Living with reverence and awe

Not being casual about sin

Letting the fear of the Lord guide my choices

Final Reflections

This teaching on the higher realm of the fear of the Lord reveals a profound truth: God sees every thought and imagination. The movies we run in our private, secret imagination become the basis for our success or failure in life. This is why the fear of the Lord is not just about external behavior but about the internal world of thoughts and intentions.

The teaching reveals that evil is manufactured by stored thoughts and word-pictures called "imaginations." What we allow into our minds shapes what comes out of our hearts. This is why guarding our thought-life is essential. The battle against sin is won or lost in the imagination.

Jesus' teaching in Mark 7 confirms this. All evil comes from within—from the heart. It is not what goes into us that defiles us but what comes out. This is why external changes are not enough. The heart must be transformed.

The reminder that God sees everything is both sobering and comforting. Sobering because it means there is no secret sin. Comforting because it means we are fully known and still loved. The fear of the Lord is not a terror that drives us away but a reverent awareness that draws us to Him.

The teaching concludes with a challenge: if this doesn't put the fear of God into us, it should. The reality that God sees everything should shape how we live, think, and imagine. It should keep us from sin and draw us into a deeper relationship with the One who knows us completely.

Prayer

Father in Heaven,

I come to You with a heart that acknowledges that You see everything. I confess that I have sometimes entertained thoughts and imaginations that I would not want You to see. Forgive me for my secret sins and for the times I have hidden my thoughts from You.

Lord, I thank You that You know me completely and still love me. Help me to live with the awareness of Your presence. Let the fear of the Lord shape my thoughts, my words, and my actions. Guard my imagination and keep me from evil.

Teach me to guard my thought-life and to fill my mind with what is true, noble, pure, lovely, and admirable. Help me to bring every thought captive to Christ and to reject the lies that lead to sin.

Search my heart and reveal any hidden sin. Transform me from the inside out and make me more like Christ. Let my life be a testimony to Your grace and holiness.

I pray for those who are trapped in secret sin. Open their eyes to see that You see everything. Lead them to repentance and restore them to fellowship with You.

Lord, I choose this day to live in the light of Your presence. Help me to walk in integrity and to honor You with my thoughts and actions. Let the fear of the Lord be my guide and my protection.

In Jesus' name, who knows all hearts,

Amen.

Comments