The List That Condemns

The List That Condemns

What Does It Mean?

This teaching presents a sobering list of behaviors and attitudes that disqualify people from the Kingdom of God. The instruction begins with the foundational truth that the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom and knowledge, while fools despise wisdom and instruction.

The teaching then presents a comprehensive list of sins that oppose God's design for humanity. The list includes homosexuality, deceit, fornication, gossip, wickedness, backbiting, unrighteousness, hatred of God, covetousness, arrogance, maliciousness, pride, envy, boasting, murder, lack of understanding, strife, lack of natural affection, favoritism, unmercifulness, and disobedience to parents.

The instruction makes a crucial point: all these are disqualifying behaviors and attitudes. None are worse or better than others in the list. Being good or doing better on 50% of the list will not make much of a difference, as each of these are the results of "vain imaginations."

The teaching then cites Romans 1:27, which describes the consequences of sexual sin—men burning with lust for each other, doing shameful things, and suffering within themselves the penalty they deserved.

The list is comprehensive and includes both actions and attitudes. It reveals that sin is not just about what we do but about what we are. The heart condition matters as much as the outward behavior.

The Twist

The unexpected element in this teaching is the assertion that none of these sins are worse or better than others. We often rank sins, thinking some are more serious than others. But the teaching says that being good on 50% of the list will not make much of a difference. This is a sobering reminder that sin is sin, and any sin separates us from God.

Another surprising insight is that these behaviors and attitudes are described as the results of "vain imaginations." This connects back to the earlier teaching about the thought-life. Sin begins in the imagination before it becomes action. The list includes both outward actions and inward attitudes, showing that God judges both.

The teaching also reveals that some of these sins are not obvious to the world. Whispering, backbiting, pride, and envy may not be visible to others, but they are disqualifying behaviors in God's eyes. This challenges me to examine not just my actions but my attitudes.

Perhaps most challenging is the inclusiveness of the list. It covers sexual sin, relational sin, attitudinal sin, and relational sin. None of us can claim to be free from all of these. This should produce humility, not pride.

How Does It Apply to Me?

Examine My Heart Honestly

The list includes attitudes as well as actions. I need to examine my heart honestly and see if any of these behaviors or attitudes are present in my life.

I can apply this by:

Not minimizing inward sins like pride or envy

Being honest about my attitudes toward others

Confessing areas where I have fallen short

Seeking God's forgiveness and transformation

Recognize That All Sin Is Disqualifying

None of these sins are worse or better than others. I need to recognize that any sin separates me from God and requires forgiveness.

I can do this by:

Not ranking sins

Taking all sin seriously

Not thinking I am better because I avoid certain sins

Confessing all sin to God

Understand the Root of Sin

These behaviors are the result of "vain imaginations." I need to understand that sin begins in the mind and heart before it becomes action.

I can apply this by:

Guarding my thought-life

Not entertaining sinful imaginations

Bringing my thoughts captive to Christ

Addressing sin at its root

Avoid the Trap of Comparison

Being good on 50% of the list does not make a difference. I need to avoid comparing myself to others and thinking I am better.

I can do this by:

Not comparing my sin to others' sin

Recognizing my own need for forgiveness

Being humble about my own righteousness

Trusting in God's grace alone

Repent and Receive Forgiveness

The list is not a reason for despair but a call to repentance. I need to repent of my sins and receive God's forgiveness.

I can do this by:

Confessing my sins to God

Turning away from sin

Receiving His forgiveness and cleansing

Walking in the freedom He provides

Seek Transformation, Not Just Behavior Change

The list includes heart attitudes, not just actions. I need to seek transformation of my heart, not just behavior change.

I can do this by:

Asking God to change my heart

Allowing the Holy Spirit to transform me

Not settling for external compliance

Seeking to become more like Christ

Fear the Lord

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. I need to cultivate a healthy fear of God that leads me away from sin and toward obedience.

I can do this by:

Recognizing God's holiness

Approaching Him with reverence

Letting the fear of the Lord guide my choices

Understanding that His discipline is an expression of love

Final Reflections

This teaching on the list that condemns presents a comprehensive picture of behaviors and attitudes that disqualify us from the Kingdom of God. The list is long and includes both actions and attitudes—sexual sin, relational sin, attitudinal sin, and more.

The teaching's assertion that none of these sins are worse or better than others is a sobering reminder that all sin separates us from God. We cannot rank sins or think we are better because we avoid certain ones. All sin is disqualifying.

The list also reveals the root of sin—"vain imaginations." Sin begins in the mind and heart before it becomes action. This is why we must guard our thought-life and bring every thought captive to Christ.

Yet the list is not a reason for despair. It is a call to repentance. None of us can claim to be free from all of these sins. We all need God's forgiveness and cleansing. The fear of the Lord leads us to wisdom, and wisdom leads us to repentance and transformation.

This teaching challenges me to examine my heart honestly, to recognize the seriousness of all sin, and to seek God's forgiveness and transformation. It calls me to humility, repentance, and dependence on God's grace.

Prayer

Father in Heaven,

I come to You with a heart that recognizes the seriousness of sin. I confess that I have been guilty of some of the attitudes and behaviors on this list—pride, envy, unmercifulness, and others. Forgive me for my sins and for the times I have failed to honor You with my thoughts and actions.

Lord, I thank You that You do not rank sins as more or less serious. Help me to take all sin seriously and to confess it honestly. Search my heart and reveal any hidden sin. Help me to bring my thoughts captive to Christ.

Protect me from the trap of comparison. Help me not to think I am better than others because I avoid certain sins. Humble me and lead me to repentance.

I pray for those who are trapped in sin. Open their eyes to see their condition and lead them to repentance. Help them to receive Your forgiveness and to walk in freedom.

Lord, I choose this day to fear You, to examine my heart, and to repent of my sins. Help me to be transformed by Your grace and to become more like Christ.

In Jesus' name, who forgives and cleanses,

Amen.

Comments