The Fear of the Lord and Transformation

The Fear of the Lord and Transformation

What Does It Mean?

This teaching establishes the foundation of wisdom—the fear of the Lord—and reveals the transformative power of God's Word. The instruction begins with two key scriptures. Psalm 111:10 declares that the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and those who follow His commands have good understanding. Proverbs 1:7 adds that the fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

The teaching then asks a crucial question: "Can we change?" The answer is a resounding "Absolutely." The Word of God is quick and powerful, sharper than any two-edged sword. David testified, "Thy word have I hid in my heart that I might not sin against Thee." The teaching asks what David was saying: he was washing his thought-life in the Word of God.

The instruction presents the Word of God as detergent that washes the stains and dirt out of our thought-life. Jeremiah calls us to cleanse our hearts and asks how long we will harbor evil thoughts. Ephesians 5:26 describes how Christ makes the church holy and clean, washed by the cleansing of God's Word.

The teaching encourages us to take heart and let God's Word be like a mustard seed that grows. Let the word-pictures of the proverbs, parables, and Bible lessons begin to transform us. Romans 12:2 calls us not to copy the behavior and customs of the world but to let God transform us into new people by changing the way we think. Then we will learn to know God's will, which is good, pleasing, and perfect.

The teaching ends with a reminder that the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. It is healthy to live with the fear of the Lord because He loves us and only wants the best for us. The example of David is given—he committed murder and adultery, yet allowed God to change the inside. It's not about what kind of sin problem we have. Let's just get it washed out for good.

The Twist

The unexpected element in this teaching is the concept of the fear of the Lord being "healthy." We often think of fear as negative, but the teaching says it is healthy to live with the fear of the Lord because He loves us and wants the best for us. This reframes the fear of the Lord not as cowering terror but as a reverent awe that leads to wisdom and transformation.

Another surprising insight is the imagery of God's Word as detergent. This is a practical, everyday image that makes the cleansing power of Scripture accessible. Just as detergent washes stains out of clothing, God's Word washes the stains and dirt out of our thought-life. This is not just a metaphor but a promise—God's Word has the power to cleanse our minds.

The teaching also reveals that transformation is not about the type of sin but about the washing. David committed murder and adultery—serious sins—yet he allowed God to change the inside. The teaching says, "It's not 'what kind' of sin problem we have. Let's just get it washed out for good." This is a message of hope for everyone, regardless of their past.

Perhaps most challenging is the call to let God's Word be like a mustard seed that grows. This implies that transformation is a process. The Word starts small but grows over time. We must be patient and allow the Word to do its work.

How Does It Apply to Me?

Cultivate the Fear of the Lord

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. I need to cultivate a reverent awe of God that leads to wisdom and obedience.

I can apply this by:

Recognizing God's holiness and majesty

Approaching Him with reverence and humility

Letting the fear of the Lord guide my choices

Understanding that this fear is rooted in love

Hide God's Word in My Heart

David hid God's Word in his heart to keep from sinning. I need to do the same, storing Scripture in my heart so it can guide and protect me.

I can do this by:

Memorizing Scripture

Meditating on God's Word

Allowing it to shape my thoughts

Using it to combat temptation

Let God's Word Wash My Thought-Life

God's Word is like detergent that washes the stains out of my thought-life. I need to let it cleanse my mind and renew my thinking.

I can apply this by:

Reading Scripture regularly

Asking God to cleanse my thoughts

Replacing negative thoughts with biblical truth

Allowing the Word to transform my mindset

Trust the Process of Transformation

Transformation is a process. Like a mustard seed, God's Word starts small but grows. I need to be patient and trust the process.

I can do this by:

Not giving up when change is slow

Continuing to feed on God's Word

Allowing the Spirit to work

Trusting that God is completing His work in me

Renew My Mind

Romans 12:2 calls me to be transformed by the renewing of my mind. I need to actively renew my mind through God's Word.

I can apply this by:

Not conforming to the world's patterns

Seeking God's will through Scripture

Changing the way I think

Allowing transformation to happen

Embrace the Hope of Change

David's example shows that no one is beyond change. I need to embrace the hope that I can be transformed, regardless of my past.

I can do this by:

Not letting past sins define me

Believing that God can change me

Receiving His forgiveness and cleansing

Moving forward in freedom

Let Go of the Type of Sin

It's not about what kind of sin I have. I need to let go of focusing on the type of sin and simply bring it to God for cleansing.

I can do this by:

Not comparing my sin to others'

Confessing all sin to God

Receiving His washing and cleansing

Not being paralyzed by guilt

Final Reflections

This teaching on the fear of the Lord and transformation presents a powerful message of hope. The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, but it is not a fear that drives us away from God. It is a reverent awe that draws us to Him. It is healthy to live with this fear because God loves us and wants the best for us.

The Word of God is the instrument of transformation. It is like detergent that washes the stains out of our thought-life. When we hide God's Word in our hearts, it protects us from sin and transforms our thinking. The more we feed on it, the more it changes us.

David is the example of transformation. He committed murder and adultery, yet he allowed God to change him from the inside out. This shows that no one is beyond hope. No sin is too great for God's cleansing.

The call is simple: let's get started. Let's let God's Word cleanse us, transform us, and make us new. It doesn't matter what kind of sin we have. What matters is that we bring it to God and let Him wash it out for good.

Prayer

Father in Heaven,

I come to You with a heart that desires to fear You and to be transformed by Your Word. I confess that I have sometimes lacked reverence for You and have not allowed Your Word to cleanse my thought-life. Forgive me for my neglect and for the times I have harbored evil thoughts.

Lord, I thank You that the fear of You is the beginning of wisdom. Help me to cultivate a reverent awe of You that leads to wisdom and obedience. Teach me to hide Your Word in my heart, that I might not sin against You.

I ask You to wash my thought-life with Your Word. Like detergent, let Your Word cleanse the stains and dirt from my mind. Renew my thinking and transform me into a new person. Help me not to conform to the world but to be transformed by the renewing of my mind.

I thank You that no sin is beyond Your cleansing. Like David, I can be forgiven and transformed. Help me to let go of the type of sin and simply bring it to You for washing.

Lord, I choose this day to fear You, to hide Your Word in my heart, and to let it transform me. Let my life be a testimony to Your power and grace.

In Jesus' name, who cleanses and transforms,

Amen.

Comments