The Strength That Comes from Waiting

The Strength That Comes from Waiting

BIBLE REFERENCE
Psalm 27:14 King James Version – "Wait on the Lord: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the Lord."

WHAT DOES IT MEAN?
This verse is a powerful command and promise from David, who knew what it meant to wait on God. The word "wait" here is not passive resignation but active, hopeful expectation. It is the posture of a servant watching for the master's direction, of a child trusting the father's provision. David is not telling himself to be patient in a vacuum; he is telling himself to wait on the Lord—to fix his hope, his attention, and his trust on God alone. The command is paired with an encouragement: "be of good courage." Waiting is not easy; it requires courage to trust when you cannot see. But the promise is sure: "he shall strengthen thine heart." When you wait on the Lord, He does not leave you weak; He infuses you with His strength. The verse ends with the repeated command: "wait, I say, on the Lord." The repetition emphasizes the importance and urgency of this posture. David is preaching to his own soul, commanding himself to trust in God alone.

THE TWIST
The twist is that waiting is not a sign of weakness but an act of strength—the strength to trust God instead of taking matters into your own hands. The deeper shock is that the courage to wait comes from God, not from your own resolve. The most profound twist is that the strength God gives is not for escaping the wait but for enduring it. The deepest twist is that David commands himself to wait twice—once is not enough; he must continually remind his soul to trust in God's timing. The repetition reveals that waiting is not a one-time decision but an ongoing posture.

HOW DOES IT APPLY TO ME?
This verse meets you exactly where your Inspiration From The Bible describes. When you are disheartened and burned out, waiting on the Lord renews your strength. When you are lonely, waiting on Him brings His presence. When you are fearful, waiting gives you courage. When circumstances keep stacking against you, waiting anchors you in the One who is faithful. Practically, this means that when you are tempted to rush ahead, you stop and wait on the Lord. When you are tempted to give up, you wait for His strength. When you are tempted to fear, you wait for His courage. Your daily habit can be to say, "Lord, I wait on You today. I trust Your timing and Your plan."

ONE TRUTH TO CARRY
Waiting on the Lord is not wasted time; it is the very place where your heart is strengthened, your courage is renewed, and your faith is deepened.

FINAL REFLECTIONS
Consider the courage it takes to wait. The world tells you to act, to strive, to make things happen. But God calls you to trust, to wait, to hope in Him. The same God who commanded David to wait is commanding you. The very discouragement that brought you to this verse is the invitation to stop striving and to start waiting on the Lord. Do not lose heart—He will strengthen your heart as you wait.

PRAYER
Lord, I wait on You today. I confess that I have often grown weary of waiting and tried to take control of my own life. Forgive me for my impatience and my striving. Today, I choose to wait on You. Give me the courage to trust Your timing and Your plan. Strengthen my heart as I wait. When I am tempted to give up, remind me that You are faithful. I will wait on You, Lord; I will trust in You. In the name of Jesus, who waits with me, Amen.

Comments