The Poison of Deception

 The Poison of Deception

What Does It Mean?

This teaching reveals how deception operates in our generation, drawing a direct line from Eve's experience to our own. Deception is not something any of us set out to be a victim of, yet our natural instincts and built-in flaws often override our desire to follow God. Paul's concern for believers was justified—the hidden agenda is as ugly and far-reaching today as it was against Eve. Satan is still convincing the world-system that God is lying and that God has the hidden agenda. But God does not lie, is not lying, and never will lie. What God says, and the system He has set up, is for our good.

The teaching warns that this generation needs to place itself under mature individuals who understand the wisdom of God. Too many people blindly follow teachers who teach what people want to hear rather than what they should hear. The teaching asks two direct questions: "What are you learning? Who are you listening to?"

The teaching then turns to Eve's gaze upon the fruit. She was looking at fruit from the wrong tree, and once it had her attention, she was deceived into thinking that because the outside looked good, it was worth buying into. The trouble was, she could not see the inside. Only God could look under the surface. This is why we are not to judge others.

The teaching reveals that any information handled or suggested by Satan is perverted and will poison, contaminate, and corrupt all who agree with or are touched by that information. Just as Eve ate poisoned fruit, believers in our generation are eating poisoned mental food and do not know it, then wonder why their prayers are not answered.

The Twist

The unexpected element in this teaching is the revelation that the problem was not that the fruit was ugly or obviously dangerous. It was pleasing to the sight. Eve was attracted to something that looked good but was deadly. This is how deception works—it presents itself as attractive and desirable while concealing its destructive nature.

Another surprising insight is that Eve already had access to all the fruit she could eat. She had provision for all her needs. The attraction was not necessity but curiosity and desire for something different. This reveals that deception often works by making us dissatisfied with what we already have.

The teaching also reveals that Eve could not see the inside of the fruit. Only God could look under the surface. This is a powerful reminder that we cannot judge by appearances. What looks good on the outside may be poison on the inside.

Perhaps most challenging is the warning that believers today are eating poisoned mental food and do not know it. The statistics about violence, murder, abortion, and alcohol abuse are evidence of the kind of fruit produced by the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. This is the result when we feed from the wrong source.

How Does It Apply to Me?

Recognize the Danger of Deception

Deception is not something I set out to be a victim of. I need to recognize my vulnerability and take steps to protect myself.

I can apply this by:

Being humble about my own discernment

Acknowledging that I can be deceived

Not being overconfident in my own judgment

Seeking God's wisdom daily

Examine My Information Sources

The teaching asks: "What are you learning? Who are you listening to?" I need to examine my information sources and ensure they are rooted in God's truth.

I can do this by:

Evaluating what I watch, read, and listen to

Choosing teachers who speak God's truth

Not following those who tell me what I want to hear

Being discerning about my influences

Guard Against Attractive Deception

Deception often presents itself as attractive. I need to guard against things that look good but are poisonous.

I can apply this by:

Not being swayed by outward appearances

Asking God to reveal what is underneath

Testing everything against Scripture

Being cautious about what appeals to my desires

Be Satisfied with God's Provision

Eve already had access to all the fruit she could eat. I need to be satisfied with what God has provided and not be tempted by what is forbidden.

I can do this by:

Being grateful for what I have

Not coveting what is not mine

Trusting that God's provision is enough

Resisting the temptation to want more

Avoid Poisoned Mental Food

Just as Eve ate poisoned fruit, I can consume poisoned mental food. I need to be careful about what I allow into my mind.

I can apply this by:

Not consuming corrupting content

Being intentional about my mental diet

Filling my mind with God's truth

Protecting my thought-life

Submit to Mature Leadership

This generation needs to place itself under mature individuals who understand the wisdom of God. I need to submit to godly leadership.

I can do this by:

Seeking counsel from mature believers

Learning from those who have walked with God

Not isolating myself from the body of Christ

Being teachable and humble

Understand the Consequences of Wrong Information

The results of information from the wrong source are devastating. I need to understand the consequences and choose wisely.

I can do this by:

Recognizing the impact of what I consume

Not being naive about the effects of media

Protecting my children from corrupting influences

Making choices that honor God

Final Reflections

This teaching on the poison of deception presents a sobering picture of how deception operates in our generation. Just as Eve was deceived by fruit that was pleasing to the sight, we can be deceived by things that look attractive but are destructive. The key is recognizing that appearances can be deceiving and that only God can see what is underneath.

The warning about poisoned mental food is particularly relevant. Just as Eve ate poisoned fruit, we consume information that can corrupt our thinking. The statistics about violence, murder, abortion, and alcohol abuse are evidence of the kind of fruit produced by the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. This is the result when we feed from the wrong source.

The call to examine our information sources is essential. We must ask: "What are you learning? Who are you listening to?" The answers to these questions determine whether we are feeding from the tree of life or the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.

Ultimately, this teaching calls me to be vigilant, discerning, and intentional about what I consume. I must guard my mind, seek God's wisdom, and not be deceived by outward appearances. In doing so, I protect myself from the poison of deception and walk in the light of truth.

Prayer

Father in Heaven,

I come to You with a heart that desires to be protected from deception. I confess that I have sometimes been attracted to things that look good but are destructive. Forgive me for my naivety and for the times I have consumed poisoned mental food.

Lord, I thank You that You see what is underneath the surface and that Your wisdom is pure and true. Help me to examine my information sources and to choose teachers who speak Your truth. Give me discernment to recognize deception and the courage to reject it.

Help me to be satisfied with Your provision and not to be tempted by what is forbidden. Guard my mind from corrupting influences and fill me with what is true, noble, pure, and lovely.

I pray for those who are being deceived by attractive lies. Open their eyes to see the truth and lead them to repentance. Protect children from the violence and corruption in the world and help them to grow up in Your truth.

Lord, I choose this day to feed from the tree of life. Help me to consume Your Word and to be transformed by it. Let my life be a testimony to Your truth and a light in a world of deception.

In Jesus' name, who is the Truth,

Amen.

Comments