TRUST GOD WITH YOUR FUTURE

TRUST GOD WITH YOUR FUTURE

THE GOD WHO HOLDS TOMORROW

Key Scripture

📖 Psalm 37:5 (NKJV)
"Commit your way to the Lord, trust also in Him, and He shall bring it to pass."

📖 Proverbs 16:9 (NKJV)
"A man's heart plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps."

Introduction

There is a fear that grips the hearts of many believers as they face the future. It is the fear of the unknown. It is the anxiety of not knowing what lies ahead. It is the worry that the path before them is dark, uncertain, and full of danger. We worry about our finances, our health, our families, our careers, and our futures. We worry about decisions we need to make, doors that might close, and opportunities that might pass us by. We worry because we cannot see what is coming. We cannot control what will happen. We cannot predict the twists and turns of life.

But there is a truth that can calm every fear, silence every anxiety, and steady every trembling heart: God holds your future. He knows the end from the beginning. He has already mapped out the journey. He has already prepared the way. He has already secured the victory. He is not waiting for you to figure it out; He has already worked it out. He is not surprised by what is around the corner; He is already there. He is the God who holds tomorrow. He is the God who directs your steps. He is the God who brings His purposes to pass.

The psalmist David declared, "Commit your way to the Lord, trust also in Him, and He shall bring it to pass." The Hebrew word for "commit" is galal, which means to roll, to roll away, to roll upon, or to commit. It is the picture of rolling a heavy burden off your shoulders and onto someone else. It is the act of transferring your weight, your worry, and your responsibility to the Lord. The word for "way" is derek, which means path, journey, or manner of life. The word for "trust" is batach, which means to cling to, to be confident in, or to feel secure. The word for "bring it to pass" is asah, which means to do, to accomplish, to bring about, or to perform. David is saying, "Roll your path onto the Lord. Trust in Him. And He will bring it to pass. He will accomplish it. He will perform it. He will make it happen."

Solomon, the wisest man who ever lived, added, "A man's heart plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps." The Hebrew word for "plans" is chashab, which means to think, to calculate, to devise, or to plan. The word for "heart" is leb, which refers to the inner person—the mind, the will, and the emotions. The word for "directs" is kun, which means to establish, to prepare, to make firm, or to guide. The word for "steps" is tsa'ad, which refers to the steps of a journey, the path of life, or the course of action. Solomon is saying, "You make your plans, but God directs your steps. You chart your course, but God determines your destination. You set your goals, but God establishes your path."

This teaching is for everyone who is facing the future with fear. It is for the one who is anxious about what lies ahead. It is for the one who is paralyzed by uncertainty. It is for the one who is worried about making the wrong decision. It is for the one who needs to trust God with their future. It is time to commit your way to the Lord. It is time to trust Him with all your heart. It is time to rest in the knowledge that He holds tomorrow.

Biblical Truth

Psalm 37:5 and Proverbs 16:9 together provide a powerful biblical framework for understanding how to trust God with your future. They reveal that we are to commit our way to the Lord, trust in Him, and rest in the knowledge that He directs our steps.

Psalm 37:5 is a prescription for peace in the midst of uncertainty. David writes, "Commit your way to the Lord, trust also in Him, and He shall bring it to pass." The Hebrew word for "commit" is galal, which means to roll, to roll away, to roll upon, or to commit. It is the picture of rolling a heavy burden off your shoulders and onto someone else. It is the act of transferring your weight, your worry, and your responsibility to the Lord. It is the same word used in Joshua 5:9, where God says, "This day I have rolled away the reproach of Egypt from you." It is the same word used in Psalm 22:8, where the enemies of David say, "He trusted in the Lord, let Him rescue Him; let Him deliver Him, since He delights in Him!" The idea is that of complete transfer. You roll your burden onto the Lord. You give it to Him. You release it to Him.

The word for "way" is derek, which means path, journey, or manner of life. It refers to your course, your direction, your plans, your purposes, and your future. David is saying, "Roll your path onto the Lord. Give Him your journey. Give Him your direction. Give Him your plans. Give Him your purposes. Give Him your future."

The word for "trust" is batach, which means to cling to, to be confident in, or to feel secure. It implies a total reliance on someone who is completely trustworthy. It is the same word used in Psalm 20:7: "Some trust in chariots, and some in horses; but we will remember the name of the Lord our God." Trust is not a passive feeling; it is an active choice to place your confidence in God rather than in your own resources, understanding, or strength.

The promise is that God "shall bring it to pass." The Hebrew word for "bring it to pass" is asah, which means to do, to accomplish, to bring about, or to perform. It is the same word used in Genesis 1:7, where God made the firmament. It is the same word used in Genesis 1:16, where God made the sun and the moon. It is the same word used in Genesis 1:25, where God made the beasts of the earth. God is a God who does things. He is a God who accomplishes things. He is a God who brings things to pass. When you commit your way to Him, He will bring it to pass. He will accomplish it. He will perform it. He will make it happen.

Proverbs 16:9 provides the balance. Solomon writes, "A man's heart plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps." The Hebrew word for "plans" is chashab, which means to think, to calculate, to devise, or to plan. It implies intentionality, deliberation, and forethought. The word for "heart" is leb, which refers to the inner person—the mind, the will, and the emotions. The word for "way" is derek, the same word used in Psalm 37:5. The word for "directs" is kun, which means to establish, to prepare, to make firm, or to guide. The word for "steps" is tsa'ad, which refers to the steps of a journey, the path of life, or the course of action.

Solomon is saying, "You make your plans. You chart your course. You set your goals. You devise your strategy. But God directs your steps. God establishes your path. God determines your destination. God guides your journey." This is not a contradiction. It is a partnership. God invites us to plan, but He calls us to hold our plans with open hands, submitting them to His will and trusting Him to direct our steps.

The principle of trusting God with your future is woven throughout Scripture. Abraham was called to leave his homeland and go to a land that God would show him (Genesis 12:1). He did not know where he was going, but he trusted God. Moses was called to lead the Israelites out of Egypt and into the Promised Land (Exodus 3:10). He did not know what would happen, but he trusted God. David was anointed as king as a young boy, but he spent years running from Saul before he took the throne (1 Samuel 16:13; 2 Samuel 5:4). He did not know when the promise would be fulfilled, but he trusted God. Esther was called to risk her life to save her people (Esther 4:14). She did not know if she would survive, but she trusted God. Mary was told she would conceive a child by the Holy Spirit (Luke 1:31). She did not understand how it could happen, but she trusted God. The pattern is clear: the people of God trust Him with their future. They commit their way to Him. They trust in Him. And He brings it to pass.

The example of Jesus is our ultimate model. Jesus trusted the Father with His future. He knew the cross was before Him. He knew the suffering that awaited Him. He knew the death He would die. But He trusted the Father. He said, "Father, if it is Your will, take this cup away from Me; nevertheless not My will, but Yours, be done" (Luke 22:42). He committed His way to the Lord. He trusted in Him. And the Father brought it to pass. He raised Him from the dead. He exalted Him to the highest place. He gave Him the name above every name. And because Jesus trusted the Father with His future, we can trust the Father with ours.

What We Often Get Wrong

The first and most common error is that we try to control the future. We want to know what is going to happen. We want to predict the outcome. We want to manage the variables. We want to manipulate the circumstances. We want to control the results. We try to play God. We try to be sovereign. We try to determine our own destiny. But we are not God. We are not sovereign. We cannot control the future. We cannot predict the outcome. We cannot manage all the variables. We cannot manipulate all the circumstances. We cannot control all the results. We must release control. We must commit our way to the Lord. We must trust Him with our future.

Second, we worry about tomorrow. We are anxious about what will happen. We are stressed about what might occur. We are consumed with worst-case scenarios. We lose sleep over things that have not happened. We borrow trouble from tomorrow. But Jesus said, "Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble" (Matthew 6:34). We must not worry about tomorrow. We must trust God with tomorrow. We must commit our way to Him. We must trust Him to provide, protect, and guide.

Third, we lean on our own understanding. We rely on our own wisdom, our own analysis, our own reasoning. We make decisions based on what we can see, what we can calculate, and what we can control. But our understanding is limited. Our perspective is finite. Our vision is blurry. We cannot see the whole picture. Only God can. When we lean on our own understanding, we cut ourselves off from His wisdom. We stumble in the dark when we could be walking in the light.

Fourth, we make plans without consulting God. We map out our futures, set our goals, chart our courses, and make our decisions—all without seeking His guidance. We treat God as a spectator rather than the Sovereign. We treat Him as an advisor rather than the Lord. We treat Him as optional rather than essential. We must seek God's guidance. We must ask for His direction. We must wait for His leading.

Fifth, we believe that God is not trustworthy. We think that He might let us down. We think that He might fail us. We think that He might not come through. We think that He might not keep His promises. But God is trustworthy. He is faithful. He is reliable. He is dependable. He has never failed. He has never broken a promise. He has never let His children down. He is worthy of our trust. He is worthy of our confidence.

Sixth, we believe that we can handle the future on our own. We think we are strong enough, smart enough, and resourceful enough to figure everything out. We think we do not need God. We think we can manage on our own. But we cannot. We are not sufficient in ourselves. We need God. We need His wisdom. We need His strength. We need His guidance. We need His provision. We need His protection. We need Him.

Seventh, we forget that God's plans are better than ours. We think that our plans are the best plans. We think that we know what is best for our lives. But God's plans are higher than our plans. His ways are higher than our ways. His thoughts are higher than our thoughts. He sees the end from the beginning. He knows what is best. And His plans are always better than ours.

God's Perspective

God views your future as already planned and prepared. He knows the end from the beginning (Isaiah 46:10). He has already mapped out the journey. He has already prepared good works for you to walk in (Ephesians 2:10). He has already secured the victory. Nothing that happens to you catches Him by surprise. Nothing that lies ahead is unknown to Him. He is not waiting to see how things turn out. He already knows. And He is already there, ahead of you, preparing the way.

God's perspective is that He is the one who directs your steps. You do not have to figure everything out. You do not have to have all the answers. You do not have to be in control. You just have to trust. You just have to commit your way to Him. You just have to follow. He will direct your steps. He will make the way clear. He will lead you step by step. He is faithful to guide you.

God sees your future as bright and hopeful. He has plans for you—plans of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope (Jeremiah 29:11). His plans are good. His purposes are good. His will for you is good. You do not have to fear the future because the future is in His hands. And His hands are good.

God's perspective is that He will bring it to pass. When you commit your way to Him, He will bring it to pass. He will accomplish it. He will perform it. He will make it happen. He will not fail. He will not falter. He will not abandon the work He has started. He will complete it. He will bring it to pass. He will bring it to pass. He will bring it to pass.

God sees your fears as unnecessary. He tells you not to fear because He is with you. He tells you not to be dismayed because He is your God. He tells you that He will strengthen you, help you, and uphold you with His righteous right hand (Isaiah 41:10). He tells you that He goes before you. He tells you that He will never leave you nor forsake you (Hebrews 13:5). Your fears are real, but they are unnecessary because God holds your future.

God's perspective is that He is already in your tomorrow. He is not confined to the present. He is not limited by time. He is the eternal God who inhabits eternity (Isaiah 57:15). He is already in your tomorrow. He is already in your next week. He is already in your next year. He is already in your next decade. He is already there, preparing the way, working all things for your good. You do not have to worry about tomorrow because God is already there.

Practical Application

Commit Your Way to the Lord: Make a deliberate, intentional decision to commit your way to the Lord. Say, "Lord, I commit my future to You. I roll my path onto You. I give You my plans, my dreams, my goals, and my desires. I trust You to direct my steps. I trust You to bring Your purposes to pass. I release control. I surrender my will to Yours." Do this daily. Do this moment by moment.

Trust Him with All Your Heart: Trust is a choice. It is not a feeling. It is a decision. Make the decision to trust God with all your heart. Say, "I trust You, Lord. I trust Your wisdom. I trust Your timing. I trust Your plan. I trust Your love. I trust Your faithfulness. I trust You with my future. I trust You with tomorrow. I trust You with everything."

Hold Your Plans with Open Hands: Make your plans, but hold them loosely. Submit them to God. Say, "Lord, this is what I want to do, but I trust You to direct my steps. If You want to change my plans, I am willing. If You want to redirect my path, I am open. If You want to close a door, I will trust You. If You want to open a different door, I will follow You." Be flexible. Be open. Be willing to let God redirect you.

Acknowledge God in All Your Ways: Bring God into every decision, every thought, and every step. Acknowledge Him in all your ways. Say, "Lord, I acknowledge You in this situation. I acknowledge You in this decision. I acknowledge You in this trial. I trust You to direct my paths." Do not make decisions without Him. Do not take steps without Him. Acknowledge Him in everything.

Do Not Worry About Tomorrow: When you are tempted to worry about tomorrow, stop. Take every thought captive. Reject the spirit of fear. Say, "I will not worry about tomorrow. I will not be anxious about the future. I will trust God. I will commit my way to Him. I will rest in His sovereignty." Worry does not change the future; it only ruins the present. So do not worry. Trust God. He holds tomorrow.

Rest in God's Sovereignty: Because God is in control, you can rest. You do not have to make things happen. You do not have to force outcomes. You do not have to manipulate circumstances. You can trust that God is working all things together for good. Rest in His sovereignty. Rest in His wisdom. Rest in His love. He has you in His hands. He holds your future. You can rest.

Keep Your Eyes on the Promise: Like Abraham, who looked for a city whose builder and maker is God (Hebrews 11:10), keep your eyes on the promise. Do not be distracted by the delay. Do not be deterred by the difficulty. Keep looking forward. The promise is coming. The breakthrough is near. The harvest is on the horizon. God is faithful. He will bring it to pass.

Ask Yourself

Am I trying to control the future, or am I trusting God with it?

Am I worried about tomorrow, or am I resting in God's sovereignty?

Am I leaning on my own understanding, or am I trusting God with all my heart?

Am I making plans without consulting God, or am I seeking His guidance?

Do I believe that God is trustworthy?

Am I holding my plans with open hands, or am I clinging to them tightly?

Do I believe that God will bring it to pass?

Have I committed my way to the Lord?

Reflection

Trust God with your future. This is the truth. This is the promise. This is the invitation. You do not have to be anxious about what lies ahead. You do not have to be afraid of the unknown. You do not have to worry about tomorrow. God holds your future. He knows the end from the beginning. He has already mapped out the journey. He has already prepared the way. He has already secured the victory. He is already in your tomorrow. He is already there, waiting for you, preparing the way.

Commit your way to the Lord. Roll your path onto Him. Give Him your plans, your dreams, your goals, your desires. Give Him your future. Trust in Him. Trust Him with all your heart. Lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him. And He will direct your paths. He will make the crooked places straight. He will open doors that no man can shut. He will close doors that are not for you. He will lead you on the right path. He will guide you to the right destination. He will bring it to pass.

A man's heart plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps. You make your plans. You chart your course. You set your goals. But God directs your steps. God establishes your path. God determines your destination. God guides your journey. So make your plans, but hold them loosely. Submit them to God. Trust Him to direct your steps. And He will. He will direct your steps. He will lead you on the right path. He will bring you to the destination He has prepared for you.

So do not be afraid. Do not be anxious. Do not worry. Trust God with your future. He is faithful. He is good. He is sovereign. He is in control. He holds tomorrow. And He will bring it to pass. He will bring it to pass. He will bring it to pass. Trust Him. He is worthy of your trust.

Prayer

Father, I confess that I have tried to control the future. I have been anxious about tomorrow. I have leaned on my own understanding. I have made plans without consulting You. I have been afraid of the unknown. Forgive me. Today, I choose to trust You with my future. I commit my way to You. I roll my path onto You. I give You my plans, my dreams, my goals, and my desires. I trust You to direct my steps. I trust You to bring Your purposes to pass. I release control. I surrender my will to Yours. I trust You with all my heart. I lean not on my own understanding. In all my ways I acknowledge You. And I know that You will direct my paths. You will make the crooked places straight. You will lead me on the right path. You will guide me to the right destination. You will bring it to pass. I will not worry about tomorrow. I will not be anxious about the future. I will trust You. I will rest in Your sovereignty. I will keep my eyes on the promise. I will trust You with my future. In Jesus' mighty name, Amen.

Declaration

I declare that I trust God with my future. I commit my way to the Lord. I roll my path onto Him. I give Him my plans, my dreams, my goals, and my desires. I trust Him to direct my steps. I trust Him to bring His purposes to pass. I release control. I surrender my will to His. I trust Him with all my heart. I lean not on my own understanding. In all my ways I acknowledge Him. And He will direct my paths. He will make the crooked places straight. He will lead me on the right path. He will guide me to the right destination. He will bring it to pass. A man's heart plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps. I make my plans, but God directs my steps. I chart my course, but God determines my destination. I set my goals, but God establishes my path. I will not be anxious about tomorrow. I will not be afraid of the unknown. I will not worry about the future. God holds my future. He knows the end from the beginning. He has already mapped out the journey. He has already prepared the way. He is already in my tomorrow. He is already there, waiting for me, preparing the way. I will trust Him. I will trust Him with my future. I will trust Him with tomorrow. I will trust Him with everything. He will bring it to pass. He will bring it to pass. He will bring it to pass. I trust God with my future.

Concluding Scripture

📖 Psalm 37:5 (NKJV)
"Commit your way to the Lord, trust also in Him, and He shall bring it to pass."

A Final Word

Trust God with your future. This is the truth. This is the promise. This is the invitation. You do not have to be anxious about what lies ahead. You do not have to be afraid of the unknown. You do not have to worry about tomorrow. God holds your future. He knows the end from the beginning. He has already mapped out the journey. He has already prepared the way. He has already secured the victory. He is already in your tomorrow. He is already there, waiting for you, preparing the way.

Commit your way to the Lord. Roll your path onto Him. Give Him your plans, your dreams, your goals, your desires. Give Him your future. Trust in Him. Trust Him with all your heart. Lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him. And He will direct your paths. He will make the crooked places straight. He will open doors that no man can shut. He will close doors that are not for you. He will lead you on the right path. He will guide you to the right destination. He will bring it to pass.

A man's heart plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps. You make your plans. You chart your course. You set your goals. But God directs your steps. God establishes your path. God determines your destination. God guides your journey. So make your plans, but hold them loosely. Submit them to God. Trust Him to direct your steps. And He will. He will direct your steps. He will lead you on the right path. He will bring you to the destination He has prepared for you.

So do not be afraid. Do not be anxious. Do not worry. Trust God with your future. He is faithful. He is good. He is sovereign. He is in control. He holds tomorrow. And He will bring it to pass. He will bring it to pass. He will bring it to pass. Trust Him. He is worthy of your trust.

Comments