GRACE!

1. Introduction

a) What is grace?

i) Grace is God's unmerited favor. It is kindness from God we don't deserve. There is nothing we have done, nor can ever do to earn this favor. It is a gift from God. Grace is divine assistance given to humans for their regeneration (rebirth) or sanctification; a virtue coming from God; a state of sanctification enjoyed through divine favor.

ii) A preacher once explained grace to me with this acronym:

God's
Riches
At
Christ's
Expense

2. Grace is sufficient for us.

a) Let's examine Apostle Paul.

i) 7or because of these surpassingly great revelations. Therefore, in order to keep me from becoming conceited, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. 8Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. 9But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. 10That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong. (2 Corinthians 12:6-10 NIV)

ii) In 2 Cor 12: 1 – 6, Paul boasted about visions and revelations he had received from the Lord. “I know a man in Christ” means that he was speaking about himself. He explained that he didn’t know if he was taken up in his body or in his spirit, but he was in paradise (“the third heaven”). Paul told about this incident to show that God had uniquely touched him.

iii) We don’t know what Paul’s thorn in the flesh was, because he does not tell us. Some thought it was malaria, epilepsy, or a disease of the eyes (Galatians 4:13 – 15). Whatever the case, it was a chronic and debilitating (weak and not strong) problem, which at times kept him from working. This thorn was a hindrance to his ministry, and he prayed for its removal; but God refused and said, “I am with you; that is all you need. My power shows up am with best in weak people.”

3. What is God trying to tell us?

a) God is trying to tell us that His grace, the unmerited favor, is good enough for all our problems.

@1. 8For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9not by works, so that no one can boast. (Ephesians 2:8, 9 NIV)

@2. 16For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. (John 3:16 NIV)

@3. 8But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. (Romans 5:8 NIV)

b) This is the grace of God for our salvation and eternal life. Because of God’s grace, we will receive the things of God that we do not deserve at all. God just loves to give them to us.

c) 2For he says, “In the time of my favor I heard you, and in the day of salvation I helped you.” I tell you, now is the time of God’s favor, now is the day of salvation. (2 Corinthians 6:2 NIV)

d) Paul always addressed the Christians in his letters to the churches with “Grace and peace to you from God our Father and from the Lord Jesus Christ.” (Rom 1: 7; 1 Cor 1: 3; 2 Cor 1: 2; Gal 1: 3; Eph 1: 2; Phil 1: 2; Col 1: 2; 1 Thess 1: 1; 2 Thess 1: 2; 1 Tim 1: 2; 2 Tim 1: 2; Titus 1: 4; Philemon 1: 3). Even Peter did the same (1 Peter 1: 2; 2 Peter 1: 2). Also John in 2 John 1: 3.

4. God will ensure all powers back up his release of grace.

a) In order to receive God’s grace, God himself will ensure that all powers in heaven, on earth and under the earth back up His release of unmerited favors in our lives. This means that His anointing will break every yoke that prevents, hinders and limits our lives’ advancement in God.

i) 5You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. 6Surely your goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. (Psalm 23:5, 6 NIV)

ii) 14Is anyone among you sick? Let them call the elders of the church to pray over them and anoint them with oil in the name of the Lord. 15And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise them up. If they have sinned, they will be forgiven. 16Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective. (James 5:14-16 NIV)

iii) 8‘The silver is mine and the gold is mine,’ declares the Lord Almighty. (Haggai 2:8 NIV)

iv) 10for every animal of the forest is mine, and the cattle on a thousand hills. (Psalm 50:10 NIV)

v) 3I will give you hidden treasures, riches stored in secret places, so that you may know that I am the Lord, the God of Israel, who summons you by name. (Isaiah 45:3 NIV)

5. Prayer focus

a) Everything belongs to God. God knows of our losses, desires and needs.

b) Cry out to God to grant our requests. 

Comments